Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
Very nice red breaks. I guess there was some leftover in the can after the fender. Sent these off to Eric at PMB. Will be replacing breaks, bearings and suspension all the way around.

Now I just need to find a factory front swaybar. Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
Matty900
Steam cleaning today
Matty900
Few more photos from today
Krieger
Nice find! Add the Vin to our data base.
Matty900
piratenanner.gif Hell hole fixed!
cwpeden
Nice progress, looks like you have a mix of long and short wheel bolts. If you run the fuchs make sure to find a full set of long bolts.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 4 2016, 09:37 PM) *

I'll never understand how people find these cars...

I am considering buying a 75 garage find with only 23K miles on it.
Hank914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 9 2016, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 4 2016, 09:37 PM) *

I'll never understand how people find these cars...

I am considering buying a 75 garage find with only 23K miles on it.

Good for you!

I'd rather have a car that has 123,000 on the odo, but was warm, dry, and driven every year for 42 years. That is much better than a car driven 23k in 3 years, and then stored outside for 40 years in the rain.

What's the history on that 75 garage find with 23k?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Mar 8 2016, 06:41 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Hell hole fixed!

Get some paint shot in there before you put it all back together. You can always re do it later, but it's not that hard to do in an engine compartment.
Matty900
Coming and going. Got the 72 home to complete the body work and prep for paint. Lucas has been busy this week with with the DA sander, stud welder and dent puller.
Sent the wide body out to fix the wheel spacer issue and bent trailing arm. May be able to get both cars to West Coast Rally
Mr.Nobody
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 4 2016, 09:53 PM) *

piratenanner.gif welcome.png piratenanner.gif

My car came off the line 15 cars after yours!
Matty900
Have not had much time lately to post progress on the car. Repairs made to the minor rust in the hood seal channel.
Matty900
Driver's side fender had some issues after the bearings froze from sitting so long, and the wheel came off and split the fender. It had been repaired but needed a little help.
Matty900
Someone had drilled a few holes in behind the bumper for something. Tow hitch? WTF.gif
Matty900
Dents are almost all pulled.
Matty900
Put down some primer just to keep any rust from starting while we do the body work.
Jason74914
Just curious...what are the holes the rear trunk lid for?
Matty900
Ok this car has been stalled too long. I have enlisted the services of Kent at Brosseau's Coachworks in Oregon City. I am hoping to get this car ready for a road trip back to Hershey PA in April.
Matty900
A few more of Kent's progress on my car
pete000
Nice find !

Nice save !
Matty900
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 31 2017, 09:04 PM) *

Nice find !

Nice save !

Thank you,
It is in amazing shape and I should have just gave it a tune up and drove it. Oh well, now it will be really nice.
Matty900
Haven't posted progress on here for a little bit so here is a lot of photos on what's been going on.
I decided to have factory swaybars put in front and rear for the car sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif . This is the progress on that along with the worth coating going on after the work was completed to look like it was installed at the factory.
Matty900
Next was laying color down in the trunks
Matty900
Finally Color
Matty900
More photos
Matty900
Engine bay is all good to go.
Matty900
and lots and lots of cutting and buffing (over 25 hours worth)
Matty900
shades.gif
Matty900
piratenanner.gif
Matty900
Raptor floor boards (14 hours)
Matty900
Undercoated the complete car with rubberized undercoating
Matty900
My rear valance was a little too far gone. PO took it off so he could put on 4 tip monza exhaust. Then left it outside for years. Thankfully Craig and Camp914 is only about a mile from the body shop. Thank you Craig pray.gif
Matty900
Cary Kutter freshened up some of the suspension for me. The car will be going to his shop for me to do some work with his guidance. Getting excited to learn from him. Hope to get lots of install photos and possibly videos for the new website that we have been working on forever now. We will be putting in one of our rebuilt steering racks, Stainless steel fuel lines and getting the wiring harness back in place.
Cairo94507
Very cool and exciting. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Great color! Keep up the good work! aktion035.gif
cary
What was the black stuff they sprayed in the trunk before they painted?
Looks great. I can see why your so anxious to get started.
Matty900
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 15 2017, 09:05 PM) *

Wurth seam sealer https://youtu.be/Hb7NLnl0QJM
Matty900
Tank looks like new. Now I just need to coordinate the bodyshop, the guy I am borrowing the enclosed trailer from and Cary's schedule so we can get to the reassembly. piratenanner.gif
cary
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Mar 15 2017, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 15 2017, 09:05 PM) *

Wurth seam sealer https://youtu.be/Hb7NLnl0QJM

I have the Fusor version of the same gun. That's what I thought it was, but had never seen the material in black. Thanks.
Matty900
Some updates
Cary Kutter cam out to the body shop last Saturday with his enclosed trailer and pick up the car. He brought it back to his shop, Middle Motors where we will continue the project. He has been gracious enough to let me work on it on his lift and give me guidance that I will definitely need a lot if. Thank you Cary.
Matty900
Rebuilding the peddle cluster and replacing everything running through the tunnel.
Matty900
A few nights a week to get work done, but a lift, all the needed tools and help when needed. I could do this every night
Matty900
The car is in great shape and all of the nuts and bolts are coming right out with ease. Going to need all new bellows for all the cables in the engine bay. Anyone know where I can get some? sunglasses.gif
Matty900
Pulled the factory fuel lines to replace them with new stainless steel lines.
Matty900
Engine bay ready for some love. Rubberized undercoating or bedliner?
Matty900
Haven't updated for a little while so here's what has been going on. Found some damage to the bottom of the driver's side suspension. So we (Cary) pulled it to replace with the parts I had him clean up already. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2448492 and http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2450682
Matty900
With the suspension out. We will freshen everything up. I spent a lot of time in the blasting cabinet
Matty900
Some cleaning needed
Matty900
Blasting work
Matty900
Some parts ready for powder coating
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.