Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
Been a little warm in the shop the past week.
Matty900
We pulled out the parts for under the car today and started getting them on the car.
Matty900
Cary made lots of progress today. Got new 914Rubber bushings and bearings pressed on to the control arms and trailing arms.
Matty900
New bearings in.
Matty900
New shocks on cleaned parts. Ready to go back on the car.
Garland
Looking great, time well spent.
Matty900
QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 10 2017, 10:13 PM) *

Looking great, time well spent.

Thank you. Thats a pretty big complement from the build off winner first.gif . Will you be at Okteenerfest again this year?
Matty900
Lost a few wields on the nuts for the sway bar. Cary got them fixed and I touched up the paint.
Matty900
Had to fix one of the taillight housings to keep moisture out in the future.
Matty900
Cary mixed up some fuser to patch it.
Matty900
I had treated (painted) under the dash, the longs and the top of the tunnel with "rust treatment" After a week of it still not drying I went back to read the can to find out what was up. I had painted it with Eastwood frame sealer. It's finish is a tacky / oily finish to keep moisture out Under the car headbang.gif
Matty900
headbang.gif
Matty900
Today I worked on my yoga stretching reaching all the hard to reach places with a rear and mineral spirits, wiping off my mistake
Matty900
Got it all cleaned up. Tomorrow I will treat it with Por15 and then paint over it.
Rleog
I feel your pain. I've likewise made errors that required significant back tracking.

Beautiful project.
Cairo94507
Believe me, we all have. slap.gif I feel your pain.
Matty900
Preparing to treat with Por15 top coat
Matty900
Before
Matty900
After
Matty900
Next question, do I paint this red now, or leave it be? I will be putting down a fatmat type material.
Matty900
After I cleaned up the brush from painting the Por15, I noticed rust in the door. How dis I miss this before? WTF.gif
Matty900
Uses wire brushes and dremmel tool with a wand to get the rust off. Then vacuumed it out, wiped it all down with acitone. After it was dry, I acid treated the rust. After that was dry, I wiped it down again, I painted the entire inside of the door skin with Por15. I will be putting the fatmat type material in here as well.
Larmo63
Looks good, Matt. This car looks like a labor of love. Some day we will BOTH be done, driving, hanging out with cool cars and this will all be worth it. Right?

beerchug.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 12 2017, 09:55 PM) *

Looks good, Matt. This car looks like a labor of love. Some day we will BOTH be done, driving, hanging out with cool cars and this will all be worth it. Right?

beerchug.gif

Absolutely, get yours done so we can tour the rallies together beerchug.gif
Matty900
Spent some time sorting through the parts I have left to put on the car today. I did get the new stainless steel pivot shaft and new polygraphite bushings pressed into the trailing arm. (914Rubber parts preview)
Matty900
I really like how well this went together. Good job on these Mark! aktion035.gif
Matty900
Got the headlight motors cleaned up and installed.
Matty900
Preview of new parts comming out from 914Rubber
Matty900
Got the color and clear down in the car today
Matty900
Body shop took off my vin plate. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get the correct rivits to put this back on?
bbrock
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 16 2017, 12:19 AM) *

thumb3d.gif I'm gonna need those.

I'm really enjoying your thread. It gives me inspiration to keep going on my project. Keep the pics coming! smilie_pokal.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 16 2017, 06:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 16 2017, 12:19 AM) *

thumb3d.gif I'm gonna need those.

I'm really enjoying your thread. It gives me inspiration to keep going on my project. Keep the pics coming! smilie_pokal.gif

I just want to work on it every day. Lots of time working on things and then re doing them when it's not quite right. Like the paint reacting with residue from the undercoating that I accidentally put in and had to take back out frustrating but satisfying when it's done.
Matty900
I know this will all be under the carpet and it won't really matter, but I want it right.
Matty900
More of the color
Matty900
Shiny parts and new bushings
Matty900
smile.gif
Matty900
Had to think about how to get this back in without scraching things up
Matty900
Took the painted headlight covers off and then removed the stop/ adjuster bolt
Matty900
Then attached the pivots
Matty900
In the fender well
Matty900
Then replaced the adjustment stop bolt after running a thread cleaner over it and through the nut.
Matty900
Attached the push arm to the armature and the armature to the motor. Kept everything loose to give me wiggle room to get everything connected.
Matty900
Attached the push arm to the housing assembly. Then tightened up everything.
Matty900
This is when the wires and new grommets should be in place
Matty900
Screw on cover. (Photo is showing the wrong screw location. It is actually the ones be hind this that are recessed. Screws do go in this location, but go through the cover 1st.
Matty900
smile.gif
Matty900
New eyebrow grommets
Matty900
Painted the dash
Matty900
Ready for parts!
Matty900
I will be taking a few days off for my son's wedding. 1st boy getting Married. Lots of logistics to take care of for the wedding this Saturday. Lots of complications with all of the traffic that is in the state for the eclipse. They were not aware of it when they set their wedding date and they just so happen to plan it right in the path of totality. Already stories on the news of gas stations running out of gas and roads being completely plugged. So that's adding to the stress. Wish us luck. I'll be back to work on the car next week. In the meantime Cary's making progress with getting suspension components back on the vehicle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.