Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Barn find with 50k original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Matty900
This is what was scratching up the trim. The rubber is flattened out and broken down. Got it almost off but got stopped by a couple ove very soft striped out screws.
Matty900
Started working on the roof.
Matty900
Decided to try Plasti-dip
Matty900
Realized that it would not look good for very long. So I decided to take it off and start over
Matty900
Got some resin to fix the fiberglass issues and hope to have it primed and painted with Ryno liner today
Matty900
Shot a few coats of Raptor on the roof. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. The roof was in rough shape with lots of cracks and chips. This coating is a bed liner application that is probably stronger than the original roof.
Matty900
Got the passenger side door competed with new seals and a new door card
Matty900
Added new air deflectors to help cool the motor.
Larmo63
Looks good, Matt. Well worth the extra effort and time/money.

I'll bet you can't wait to drive it.....?
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 17 2018, 06:25 AM) *

Looks good, Matt. Well worth the extra effort and time/money.

I'll bet you can't wait to drive it.....?

It's killing me. I think I will have everything done and ready for the engine to go back in Tuesday night when Cary gets back. It should be good for WCR, so maybe you can borrow a certain Rt66 trailer and tow your car up to drive with me poke.gif
Matty900
Got the new SS fuel lines in. Yes I already had them in but these are high pressure lines for Fuel Injection. Thanks Mike Warhurst
Matty900
New lines in the engine bay as well.
Matty900
Cleaned up and reinstalled the rain tray drains
Matty900
Restored the grills with 914rubber paint and rubber trim
cary
QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 19 2018, 02:27 PM) *

I like. Nice and tidy.
Wedding is in an hour.
Matty900
Finished restoration of the roof and added all new seals
Matty900
Got some work done on the engine deck kid. Modified the hinges to make it easier to get it on and off the car
Matty900
Went to install the threaded rod for the rain hats and found that the bracket that holds the air temp sensor is not positioned quite right and I broke th je tip of the sensor headbang.gif
cary
sad.gif

How about the left front turn signal bucket ?
Matty900
Got the new tires in and on the wheels. Now I need to polish them up and get the fender liners installed so they can go back on. Debating if I want to have the black on the wheels but I am considering doing it in plasti dip so I can remove it if I change my mind.
Matty900
QUOTE(cary @ May 19 2018, 02:55 PM) *

sad.gif

How about the left front turn signal bucket ?

Got it. Though it would be a good idea to start to clean it in the small parts washer. Took it out to find that it had snapped off one of the 3 connectors on the back headbang.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(cary @ May 19 2018, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 19 2018, 02:27 PM) *

I like. Nice and tidy.
Wedding is in an hour.

Congratulations. Hope everyone is having a wonderful time together. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 19 2018, 02:58 PM) *
Debating if I want to have the black on the wheels...

If I get a vote, I way no black on the wheels!! It looks cheap to me.

--DD
Matty900
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 20 2018, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 19 2018, 02:58 PM) *
Debating if I want to have the black on the wheels...

If I get a vote, I way no black on the wheels!! It looks cheap to me.

--DD

Spent about 4 hours polishing the 1st of the 4 wheels and I am still not quite happy with the would be black area looks. I can see one of the appeals of painting them.
Matty900
Cleaned the rest of the wheels today but haven't polished them yet.
Matty900
Took the grills back off to paint underneath them.
Larmo63
NO on the black background wheels.

I agree with DD. don't do it.
Matty900
Got the Drivers side door all done with a freshening up the door panel and arm rests. So now everything has been replaced, rebuilt and restored.
Matty900
Open the pod bay door HAL

Built a gauge mount for the Air Fuel Gauge for the Mega squirt set up. I built this to be able to fit into the deposit box. (I will rebuild that later)
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 22 2018, 08:47 AM) *

agree.gif That was one of those mods that guys did in the 70's-80's to make them look like 911 wheels. Original finish is sublime.

Your car looks Awesome smilie_pokal.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2018, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 22 2018, 08:47 AM) *

agree.gif That was one of those mods that guys did in the 70's-80's to make them look like 911 wheels. Original finish is sublime.

Your car looks Awesome smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Mike. It's almost ready to drive again. Going to be a busy day tomorrow.
Matty900
Made a little progress today. Got the gauge I stalled along with a switch for the hidden radio and an auxiliary charging port
Matty900
Getting closer
Matty900
The original visors were in really good shape except for the missing flap to cover the mirror. Use a little vinyl dye to freshen them up.
cary
Today begins the throw down ...............
* Fuel supply. Plumb in the tank, pump and filter up front.
* Matt finishes up the cockpit
* Fuel supply engine end. Get the removal connections in a nice functional location.
* Finish up the final WeatherPack connections in the harness.
* Then the easy part, install the engine, half shafts and muffler.
* Oh yeah. figure out where to route the O2 wire so engine drops are simple.

Added cable wrap straps to trunk firewall to keep the harness up and out of the way. Makes it easy to drop the engine. They'll be trimmed to fit after final harness fitting ...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mocking up ECU mounting and cable dress out ..............
Click to view attachment

The exposed wires at the connector will get wrapped in cloth tape as a final step. Porsche style.
Matty900
New high pressure fuel pump installed in the high pressure SS fuel lines. Tank back in with all new German lines for the vent lines and charcoal filter.
Matty900
Here's some more of Cary's handiwork on the harness prototype.
Matty900
Got the lug nuts polished and ready to go back on
Larmo63
Everything is looking great! You should try to attend that 914 show thingie that they are having next
week up in northwest Oregon, I'm sure they'd like to see this car?

bootyshake.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 28 2018, 11:18 AM) *

Everything is looking great! You should try to attend that 914 show thingie that they are having next
week up in northwest Oregon, I'm sure they'd like to see this car?

bootyshake.gif

Don't make me paint the wheels black bootyshake.gif
Matty900
Got fender liners installed in the car so the wheels can go back on
Matty900
Got the wheels polished but there are still a few blemishes that could be covered up with some black paint. poke.gif
Matty900
Finished restoration of the engine deck lid and installed the Rain tray. Now I will need to find a shorter air filter so the lid will have clearance to actually close
bbrock
QUOTE(Matty900 @ May 30 2018, 05:30 AM) *

Got the wheels polished but there are still a few blemishes that could be covered up with some black paint. poke.gif

But then you'd have big black blemishes. poke.gif I think they look nice as they are.
Matty900
So much has happened recently that I have not had enough time to post all of the updates. I was talking with Cary and I have put in over 200 hrs this last month. Cary has been awesome and put in a ton of hours even staying at the some with me until 3 in the morning over the weekend. Here are some more updates
Matty900
Went to go find my awesome original back pad to put back in the car and discovered that my brother had used it for making pattern updates and working of the foam for the back pad base that we are currently making. So I decided to just use the bases and put on some perlon and see how they would look
Matty900
They actually turned out better than I thought they would.
raynekat
Yes, the perlon does look good. Nice job.
Matty900
Sorry I have not finished posting on the progress but Iit was another big press to get the car done in time for a Rally.
Let's see where I left off
Oh that's right, lots of late nights
Matty900
Got the interior finished up and added an amp for the sub. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.