Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
TravisNeff
Turned out beautiful Stephen!
Cairo94507
I really like it. Hard to tell, but is it Light Ivory? Getting a shell in paint is a huge accomplishment- you should be very happy. beerchug.gif
defianty
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 1 2019, 03:16 PM) *

I really like it. Hard to tell, but is it Light Ivory? Getting a shell in paint is a huge accomplishment- you should be very happy. beerchug.gif

It is indeed but for some reason I can't help think it looks a bit too creamy. But as I mentioned above it's a perfect match for the colour my car was previously.
Lucky9146
I like it! Of course I might be a little prejudiced having a light ivory car.
Keep going, when all reassembled it will not look so overwhelming.
driving.gif white914.jpg
rgalla9146
As with so many things we are very invested in......anxiety takes over.
IT LOOKS GREAT !!!!!
I felt the same about the prep on my wheel houses and pan. I felt it was all
inadequately done. No one ever sees what we sweat over.
I'm jealous.
I wish we could have a mid-pond 914 gathering.
defianty
Well this is a little embarrassing.

Bye-bye Light Ivory. bye1.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
tygaboy
Stephen - I am TOTALLY with you on what had to be a very difficult decision to go another direction. Not that I have anything against the color.
What I have everything FOR is choosing to do whatever it takes to make your car EXACTLY what you want.
In the end, you'll be happiest.

For my money, it's the journey, not the destination.

And most importantly: what color, what color?

bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 14 2019, 08:47 AM) *

Stephen - I am TOTALLY with you on what had to be a very difficult decision to go another direction. Not that I have anything against the color.
What I have everything FOR is choosing to do whatever it takes to make your car EXACTLY what you want.

Says the guy who never redid anything in his life... poke.gif av-943.gif

But yes... what color?

This is not embarrassing at all. To the contrary, this was a brave decision that is also the right one. I don't have a problem with the color, but my eyes are not the ones that need to be happy. I totally get thinking about the long-term enjoyment of your car, and how it will be impacted by a difficult decision now. No regrets!

popcorn[1].gif
defianty
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 14 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. It was indeed a difficult and rather expensive decision to make but it's something I had to do.

I went back to see the car several times and despite having a folder full of great pictures of Light Ivory cars and sure that was the direction I wanted to go it just simply didn't work for me. Being this far into the project and with much money spent I knew I needed to change the colour.

For those that know me will know that for a long time I was going to paint the car silver, I actually don't remember why I decided now to stay with Light Ivory, originality maybe? I'm not sure.

This is a picture of ConeDodger's car I've had on file for sometime and it just looks absolutely fantastic. I messaged Rob and he confirmed it was L97A Diamond Silver Metallic.

IPB Image

Today this was waiting for me at the paint shop.

IPB Image

The interior will be painted 'again' next week. biggrin.gif
Dion
You have to be happy with the finish. All that hard graft to get to this point.
No doubt it will be to your standards when done, and really that is the point of these “journeys” as Chris said. Both are rewarding.
Looking forward... popcorn[1].gif
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 14 2019, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 14 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. It was indeed a difficult and rather expensive decision to make but it's something I had to do.

I went back to see the car several times and despite having a folder full of great pictures of Light Ivory cars and sure that was the direction I wanted to go it just simply didn't work for me. Being this far into the project and with much money spent I knew I needed to change the colour.

For those that know me will know that for a long time I was going to paint the car silver, I actually don't remember why I decided now to stay with Light Ivory, originality maybe? I'm not sure.

This is a picture of ConeDodger's car I've had on file for sometime and it just looks absolutely fantastic. I messaged Rob and he confirmed it was L97A Diamond Silver Metallic.

Today this was waiting for me at the paint shop.

The interior will be painted 'again' next week. biggrin.gif

Ha! I was going to tease you about how silver is the best color (oops sorry - colour) but decided against it... but we all know it is happy11.gif

You won't regret it.
djway
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 14 2019, 07:42 AM) *

Well this is a little embarrassing.

Bye-bye Light Ivory. bye1.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am also redoing a car that wa originally lite ivory and no the color in person looks nothing like photos you see. If it remains white it will be bright white, otherwise.....
Thes cars look amazing in a good silver
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 14 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Ha! I was going to tease you about how silver is the best color (oops sorry - colour) but decided against it... but we all know it is happy11.gif

You won't regret it.

Ha, yeah I learnt that the hard and expensive way laugh.gif
defianty
QUOTE(djway @ Feb 14 2019, 07:02 PM) *

I am also redoing a car that wa originally lite ivory and no the color in person looks nothing like photos you see. If it remains white it will be bright white, otherwise.....

If you look at my photos carefully you can see a couple of lighter bands going horizontally across the image. The colour within the bands is a good representation.

The lights in the paint shop are awful fluorescent strips and play havoc with my camera.
djway
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 14 2019, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Feb 14 2019, 07:02 PM) *

If you look at my photos carefully you can see a couple of lighter bands going horizontally across the image. The colour within the bands is a good representation.

The lights in the paint shop are awful fluorescent strips and play havoc with my camera.

Sorry I meant pictures in general . Digital cameras and color balance are a pain.
raynekat
Your car should look incredible when finished in silver.
Betcha can't wait for it to be finished....
Lucky9146
Better to have changed your mind now than to wait any longer, or worse yet to have ended up with a color you were not happy with when done. I applaud your decision and although a set back, having the car you want after all your hard work is well worth it. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
mb911
Wow this is the same conversation my wife and I had about my car the other day. She hates the Saturn Red.. Says it is Orange and wants me to change it or she won't ride in it. Well she never rode in any of my other car's ..

I can't wait to see you new color..
defianty
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 14 2019, 11:38 PM) *

Your car should look incredible when finished in silver.
Betcha can't wait for it to be finished....

Thanks, finished yes but I'm so looking forward to the build up. If all goes to plan the car will be back here in three weeks.

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 15 2019, 01:07 AM) *

Better to have changed your mind now than to wait any longer, or worse yet to have ended up with a color you were not happy with when done. I applaud your decision and although a set back, having the car you want after all your hard work is well worth it. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Cheers Jim. I'm very happy now the uncertainty has gone.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 15 2019, 03:00 AM) *

Wow this is the same conversation my wife and I had about my car the other day. She hates the Saturn Red.. Says it is Orange and wants me to change it or she won't ride in it. Well she never rode in any of my other car's ..

I can't wait to see you new color..

biggrin.gif I don't think my wife would be happy in mine whatever colour I painted it. The first we went out in it she initially refused until I put the roof back on. Didn't want to mess her hair up. laugh.gif

defianty
With my self inflicted colour anguish over I could get back to finishing off a few other details. laugh.gif

I had a rummage in the loft though my parts and came across my heater controls and decided a make over was in order.

IPB Image

Closer inspection revealed the was certainly room for improvement.

IPB Image

Careful rub down with sandpaper to smooth the surface and then mask.

IPB Image

Reassembled after a lick of satin black.

IPB Image

Finishing off the red and blue details.

IPB Image
defianty
Now I'm happy, really happy. Exactly how I wanted to feel when I saw the car in paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A couple of bits to sort on the exterior but by this time next week it should be complete! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
BPic
Beautiful! Congrats!! smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
GORGEOUS!!! I can tell you that great feeling will not fade either. It has now been about 5 months since I sprayed the interior of my car L96D silver metallic and I still spend WAY too much time just staring at it and admiring the beauty. And to be honest, I think your version of silver metallic is even nicer but I was sticking with the original.

An expensive and agonizing decision well rewarded! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
krazykonrad
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 15 2019, 06:46 AM) *

With my self inflicted colour anguish over I could get back to finishing off a few other details. laugh.gif

I had a rummage in the loft though my parts and came across my heater controls and decided a make over was in order.

IPB Image

Closer inspection revealed the was certainly room for improvement.

IPB Image

Careful rub down with sandpaper to smooth the surface and then mask.

IPB Image

Reassembled after a lick of satin black.

IPB Image

Finishing off the red and blue details.

IPB Image

What did you do to bring back the plastic lever knobs? Looks great!

Konrad
mepstein
I used some brake Kleen on a set of knobs and it made it look almost new again.
defianty
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Feb 25 2019, 03:46 PM) *

What did you do to bring back the plastic lever knobs? Looks great!

Konrad

I just used some metal polish. Autosol to be precise. Quite often works wonders on plastic too.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 25 2019, 03:45 PM) *

GORGEOUS!!! I can tell you that great feeling will not fade either. It has now been about 5 months since I sprayed the interior of my car L96D silver metallic and I still spend WAY too much time just staring at it and admiring the beauty. And to be honest, I think your version of silver metallic is even nicer but I was sticking with the original.

An expensive and agonizing decision well rewarded! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Brent I've over the moon with the way it's looking right now and knowing I'll have the car back very soon makes me very excited indeed!

I've never seen L96D and L97A together so I don't know how much difference there actually is. I was under the impression it was just a change in paint formula back in the day. I'm sure someone will know the truth.
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Feb 25 2019, 09:50 AM) *

I've never seen L96D and L97A together so I don't know how much difference there actually is. I was under the impression it was just a change in paint formula back in the day. I'm sure someone will know the truth.

Could be. I only have pics of conedodger's car as a guide which, of course, can be deceptive; but his car looks like it has a slightly more liquid finish to it which is very nice. BTW, when I bought my paint, I learned there are differences between the VW and Porsche formulas for L96D. The Porsche formula uses higher end pigments and just a hint of violet. That's the one I went with.
Cairo94507
Stephen - Your car is looking absolutely beautiful. Silver is a great color on our cars. beerchug.gif
defianty
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 25 2019, 05:31 PM) *

Stephen - Your car is looking absolutely beautiful. Silver is a great color on our cars. beerchug.gif

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.
defianty
Years ago a bought a replacement targa top that was in much better condition than the one I got with my car. However like many others it had lost a corner at some point in its life. It was a presentable top but need looking at now.

This is the damaged corner.

IPB Image

After cleaning the area I started to build it up using fibreglass filler.

IPB Image

Before long I had enough filler there to enable me to reshape the corner as it would have originally been.

IPB Image
defianty
On removing the latch hardwear I came across one screw that wouldn't budge and in the end I had to drill out the insert.

IPB Image

Once I had the insert out I could see that it closely resembled a rivnut.

IPB Image

So with some strong two part adhesive I glued in a rivnut in its place.

IPB Image
defianty
I'd seen Raptor Beliner used before to repaint the targa texture and fairly recently U-POL have released it in 2K Aerosol. After finding a couple of rather cheap cans on Ebay I decided to go that route.

IPB Image

With the roof sanded down almost smooth with 80 grit and a few small repairs made and primered I was ready to give it a go.

Two cans later the job was done. To start with the finish was a bit patchy but I was prepared for that I knew it would impove after it had flashed off.

So 24 hours later this it what I had.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here's that corner repair

IPB Image
defianty
The next day I refitted the original Perlon and refurbished latches I did a few months ago along with new fittings.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Really happy with the result. The texture of the raptor liner is a bit finer than the original finish but it's closer to the finish of the vinyl on the sail panels.
mepstein
Looks new. smilie_pokal.gif
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif
I love the simplicity...and complexity...of 914 tops. 50 years later no manufacturer has come close. You’ve done a beautiful job on it.
tygaboy
Top job! lol-2.gif

Seriously, that looks super.
jagalyn
Nice job... looks really good.
Chief
Looks brilliant pal. Another project superbly executed!
defianty
Thanks for the comments guys. Another job done!
bbrock
Nice work! smilie_pokal.gif I like the painted rear targa latches. I've been trying to figure out how to take mine apart for replating and get them back together after. I think I'll just follow your lead. Also good to know Raptor is available in spray bomb form.
defianty
It's painted! I was speechless when I first saw the car. It truly looks fantastic at this stage it's just a gun finish but it still looks impressive.

Plan now is not to rush and leave it a couple of weeks for the paint to harden before polishing. All being well I should take delivery of it at the end of the month.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

defianty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZAbhFoveQ
tygaboy
That looks.... well, let me think....
Words are failing me, but holy moly. That looks so f-ing GREAT! drooley.gif aktion035.gif

I'm thinking you made a great call on changing the paint color!
altitude411
So beautiful. Congratulations shades.gif
defianty
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 11 2019, 02:49 PM) *

That looks so f-ing GREAT!

That's exactly what I said to the painter laugh.gif
bbrock
Simply stunning. You will have NO regrets on the color correction. It looks liquid. drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 11 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Simply stunning. You will have NO regrets on the color correction. It looks liquid. drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Thanks, no regrets here at all!
Dion
All of it is.....drooley.gif .
That is mega! Congrats Stephen
maf914
Is the targa hardware painted or powder coated? If painted, what type paint did you use? The finish looks great.

The targa top finish also is impressive. Excellent finish for aerosol spray can bedliner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.