914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
defianty

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 11 2019, 08:11 PM) *

All of it is.....drooley.gif .
That is mega! Congrats Stephen

Thanks Dion.

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 11 2019, 08:34 PM) *

Is the targa hardware painted or powder coated? If painted, what type paint did you use? The finish looks great.

The targa top finish also is impressive. Excellent finish for aerosol spray can bedliner.

The hardwear is all painted. A decent etch primer was used first and then just a satin automotive paint aerosol from my local car parts store. The paint I've used is sold as a tough paint and it seems to hold up well. I can't remember the brand of it to be honest and I'm fairly sure you wouldn't be able to get the same in the US anyway.
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 11 2019, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 11 2019, 08:11 PM) *

All of it is.....drooley.gif .
That is mega! Congrats Stephen

Thanks Dion.

QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 11 2019, 08:34 PM) *

Is the targa hardware painted or powder coated? If painted, what type paint did you use? The finish looks great.

The targa top finish also is impressive. Excellent finish for aerosol spray can bedliner.

The hardwear is all painted. A decent etch primer was used first and then just a satin automotive paint aerosol from my local car parts store. The paint I've used is sold as a tough paint and it seems to hold up well. I can't remember the brand of it to be honest and I'm fairly sure you wouldn't be able to get the same in the US anyway.

SEM Trim Black is a good paint and match for those parts. Comes in either satin or gloss and I've found both on the interior of my car. IIRC, my targa latches are gloss but either would look nice.
raynekat
Man.. .that silver GT is gonna look bitchin.
Lucky9146
Wow just Wow on the silver, going to be a stunning car! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 11 2019, 10:44 PM) *

Man.. .that silver GT is gonna look bitchin.

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 12 2019, 12:19 AM) *

Wow just Wow on the silver, going to be a stunning car! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Thanks Jim, getting close to build up now.
defianty
Haven't done much this week as we're literally waiting for paint to dry. However I collected another small batch of parts from my local plater.

IPB Image

As you can see my door stays needed some love. The one fitted to the drivers door had worn the aluminium arm flat and therefore the door didn't stay put in any position. The rollers were also worn square. Thanks to 914Rubber for producing a repair kit for this.

IPB Image

I find putting together this little pieces so rewarding, even more when you find the original photos showing you how to put everything back together laugh.gif

IPB Image

All done, just need a bit of lubrication before fitting.

IPB Image
defianty
Finally back home where it belongs. I'd like to say incident free but unfortunately it had a bit of a bump in the trailer and has a car park ding type dent in the front offside flare. Annoying but it'll be fixed along with whatever scratches I'm surely going to put on it whilst rebuilding it.

IPB Image

And in the garage...

IPB Image

Still got the final buff to go yet, but looking great.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Obviously I wasted no time getting to work.

IPB Image
preach
Man that's pretty.
bbrock
Woo-frickin'-hoo!!! piratenanner.gif Sorry about the ding but DAMN son! That car is beautiful. cheer.gif aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
Fun and frustration are coming your way.
defianty
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 3 2019, 08:13 PM) *

Woo-frickin'-hoo!!! piratenanner.gif Sorry about the ding but DAMN son! That car is beautiful. cheer.gif aktion035.gif

Thanks Brent, full steam ahead with the build now.

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 3 2019, 08:36 PM) *

Fun and frustration are coming your way.

That just about sums up my day. Fun fitting little bits and then complete frustration try to get the front hood catch to work! Had to walk away in the end laugh.gif
Larmo63
It looks like shiny jewelry! first.gif

Great job (as usual) on everything, I'll bet you can't wait to drive it. driving.gif
tygaboy
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. What a beauty.
You should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Such great work personalizing the car to be just what you want. All the ups, downs and back ups!
I'd take you out to celebrate if I could so go buy yourself a beer and send me the bill!
Really, really lovely.... smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
Find a PDR guy. A decent one will smooth out the dent from the back until it's invisible.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 3 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Find a PDR guy. A decent one will smooth out the dent from the back until it's invisible.

I agree...some of these dent-wizards are spot on !!
And that silver gt body belongs on a wall / with a big frame around it just to gaze at biggrin.gif
On the other hand : best enjoyed whizzing through canyons driving.gif
Marty
Lucky9146
Except for the hiccup, now the real fun begins!
Nothing like putting beautiful refurbished parts and new parts on a beauty like this silver914.jpg smilie_pokal.gif Cheers to you beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Unfortunately there's a small chip in the paint around the dent right down to the primer so it's a bit more work than just the dent. It'll just have to go back to the paint shop once it's altogether, they've admitted fault so nothing to worry about.

Already hard at it getting things out of storage and getting them back on the car. I make no apologies for the amount of photos I'll be posting over the coming weeks/months. laugh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yes this does clear the targa top when it's in place. Only just mind laugh.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

I got these lenses from Porsche NOS a few years ago.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Dion
smilie_pokal.gif very tasty! Sorry bout that incident. Glad the shop will make good on it.
I’m guessing that’s a battery cut-off near the targa latch. That’s clever. I like that.
That colour shows the details of the lines of the car so well. Great choice Stephen.
Have at it!
jkb944t
Wow piratenanner.gif It is looking amazing! Very exciting progress!!!

Jeff B
Cairo94507
What a great color! Your car looks perfect. Dings happen-no worries. Please post a ton of pictures. beerchug.gif
defianty
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 4 2019, 12:29 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif very tasty! Sorry bout that incident. Glad the shop will make good on it.
I’m guessing that’s a battery cut-off near the targa latch. That’s clever. I like that.
That colour shows the details of the lines of the car so well. Great choice Stephen.
Have at it!

Yes I put the cut off switch there as I didn't want it visible like the GT's had. Easy to get to still and acts as a bit of security.

Initially I was going to build more of a replica GT but now I'm very much heading down the M471 route.
defianty
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Apr 4 2019, 12:57 PM) *

Wow piratenanner.gif It is looking amazing! Very exciting progress!!!

Jeff B

Thanks.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 4 2019, 01:46 PM) *

What a great color! Your car looks perfect. Dings happen-no worries. Please post a ton of pictures. beerchug.gif

Pictures, oh there'll be plenty! laugh.gif
rgalla9146

Yikes !
Absolutely beautiful !
Great work.

defianty
A bit of progress over the weekend. It's so good to be at this stage now.

Started off with getting the sway bars fitted. Originally my car didn't have either so this was a must upgrade and will transform the handling. Having driven James GT with this setup it's night and day compared to how mine was.

For the front I've got a 19mm Weltmeister bar. The only modification I've made is to add a collar to stop any potential lateral movement as I've seen a couple of cases of this happening in the past.

IPB Image

IPB Image

For the rear I've just got the factory 16mm bar having installed the mounting tabs months ago. I'd heard stories of how difficult a job it is to install the droplink bushes and I can now confirm it's an awful job. It'd been easier installing a square peg in a round hole. Glad that's ticked off.

IPB Image
defianty
I also installed a Tangerine Racing shift rod bushing. This will be a nice improved over the original. After installing the shift rod through it there's zero play, nice.

IPB Image
defianty
I also started work installing the heating and fresh air system. I won't fit the rest until I install the wiring loom next week.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
defianty
At some point in the past a new trunk lock had been fitted but hadn't been keyed to match the car. So I set about rekeying it so it was functional. A fiddly yet rewarding job. I've not idea what someone had previously used to lube it, but it's safe to say they hadn't used the right thing. laugh.gif

IPB Image

On inspection the button part was a bit corroded and it turned out cheaper to have it rechromed rather than replacing it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And finally after 13 years my trunk can now be locked laugh.gif

IPB Image
defianty
And just because I wanted to see what it would look like laugh.gif I temporally installed the rear bumper.

IPB Image
Lucky9146
Geesh nice work! wub.gif You will be driving it soon. silver914.jpg
This car will be immaculate throughout. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
I finally finished off the loom renovation as I needed to get that in the car before I got too carried away fitting shiny bits.

IPB Image

IPB Image

All the way through to the front...

IPB Image

And rear.

IPB Image

I also started on the soundproofing.

IPB Image
raynekat
Looks super!
defianty
I spent yesterday morning moving the dolly over from being bolted to the suspension pickup points to the jacking doughnuts. In an effort to stop the axle stands moving I tapped a bolt though the top of each support so it couldn't slip off from the doughnut. It certainly feels more secure and on level ground little chance of any accidents.

IPB Image

With the dolly moved in the afternoon I set about adding the rear suspension. Bilstein B6 shocks and 180lb springs on adjustable coilovers.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Stephen - Your car is looking absolutely stunning. beerchug.gif
defianty
I'm not ashamed to admit I struggle to comprehend the prices of Fuchs these days and for a while I pondered over what direction to go. Most people go for 15x7 and 15x8 on their GT replicas but the combined Porsche, 911, and RS tax was too much for my wallet. Finished the way I wanted I'd be looking at paying something very close to what I actually paid for the car!

I've always liked the 16" Fuchs finished in the earlier style and they were a bit closer to my budget. What I ended up with though turned out to be a bit of a bargain.

Euromeister came out with a pretty convincing 16" replica Fuchs and they were gaining popularity in the 914 community. The only problem being that after much searching I couldn't find a distributor in Europe. At the time they were being sold by Ecklers in the US and I noticed one day they were having a 50% off site wide sale. $400 for a set of wheels? Yes please! Postage was a killer, as you can imagine, and the woman on the phone I spoke with when placing the order thought I was mad, however they were still a bargain after they'd arrived in the UK.

This is them when they arrived a while back.

IPB Image

Not the look I wanted so it was off to the media blasters with them.

IPB Image

With a blank canvas I could set about giving them the look I was after.

First off, polishing the lips.

IPB Image

Masking for etch primer and silver.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whilst I had the silver I painted the caps too. I've been buying the odd one here and there on ebay. Took a risk with a couple that had been painted so many times the Porsche badge was almost filled in.

IPB Image

Masking for the black. The thin green masking tape is essential to get around the edge of the petals. It's fiddly but doable easily enough.

IPB Image

Job done... Homebrew RSR style Fuchs.

IPB Image

Just got the other two to do now :shock: blink.gif
preach
those wheels are fantastic!
Dion
These are brilliant Stephen! Nice work. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Wow. Just the latest in a consistent run of hard work, stick-to-it-ism and beautiful results.
Your level of work quality is something to aspire to...

Thanks for posting all the details. I've enjoyed every step.

Simply can't wait to see it on the road!
defianty
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments.
BPic
w00t2.gif WOW! Simply WOW! Beautiful work sir.
rhodyguy
Beautiful car. Top shelve workmanship. The discount must have been handy at VAT time.
jagalyn
Nice work... maybe it's not 'work' though and just 'play'.
Either way it's beautiful.
jeff
You’re an inspiration, beautiful work..
defianty
After some searching I found a replacement felt for the original fuel tank mounts and straps. Funnily enough the only place I could find to buy it from was Germany. A 20x20cm 5mm thick was the perfect amount.

IPB Image

Cutting in to pieces.

IPB Image

Masking for glueing

IPB Image

In position. I'll finish off the straps later.

IPB Image
defianty
In the front trunk area I recovered my modified front trunk board and also decided to make a matching tyre cover to tidy the area up.

IPB Image

Bulkhead also recovered.

IPB Image
defianty
Moving on to the interior it was time to fit the first layer of soundproofing.

IPB Image

I ordered 20 square foot and will probably need another few sheets to complete the firewall.

IPB Image
defianty
Then on to fitting the dash in place but before I needed to replace the vinyl top.

Masking for glue.

IPB Image

Foam layer.

IPB Image

A tricky or should I say sticky job. Careful trimming around the air vent indentations made for a neat finish.

IPB Image

Fully fitted with the dash top.

IPB Image

Starting on the dash wiring with the switches. A few modifications yet to be made to the wiring because of the 911 gauges and fuel gauge yet to do but I've made a start with the excellent instructions provided by Perry Kiehl.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(defianty @ Apr 28 2019, 07:50 AM) *

Moving on to the interior it was time to fit the first layer of soundproofing.

IPB Image

I ordered 20 square foot and will probably need another few sheets to complete the firewall.

IPB Image

You might also consider doing the trailing side of the front wheel wells.
tygaboy
QUOTE(defianty @ Apr 28 2019, 04:49 AM) *

In the front trunk area I recovered my modified front trunk board and also decided to make a matching tyre cover to tidy the area up.

IPB Image

Bulkhead also recovered.

IPB Image

Wow!!! That. Is. BEAUTIFUL!

Almost as good is that you used three of my favorite words: "...decided to make..." laugh.gif

You are really knocking it out of the park. Fabulous, just fabulous.
defianty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2019, 01:43 PM) *

You might also consider doing the trailing side of the front wheel wells.

Good point, I'll get enough to cover that too. Thanks.
bbrock
The quality of your work continues to just blow me away. That spare tire cover is awesome. Care to share any details of how you did it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.