Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
bbrock
Sorry to hear it isn't running yet, but DAMN every time I see a pic of your car, it makes me drooley.gif
Justinp71
Not sure what you have tried, but on my webber 3.0 once I cleaned my fuel tank and installed 3 new fuel filters I rarely had any issues in 10 years... most common was a plug idle jet. Good luck!
rgalla9146
Any news Stephen ?
We need a British 914 fix.
Visited Yorkshire Dells, Manchester, Robin Hood Bay and Hull in December.
Beautiful country. Narrow lanes. Wonderful people.
Our cars are similar but you take the detail crown easily.
My 3.0 and 916 (Bott) trans rest silently while I fiddle a '68 2.0 to good tune.
More please.
Fantastic work.
Spring is fast approaching.
PanelBilly
After I had my carbs dialed in by someone who knew what they were doing, the car ran the way it should. I’d guess you’ll be real happy when the car gets back.
SixerJ
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 6 2020, 05:09 PM) *

It's been a frustrating few months trying to get the engine running well. I've tried everything I know and more after hours of searching online. So after taking a break for a while to save my sanity, I did the right thing and got someone a damn sight more knowledgeable than me to get it sorted.

Today, in glorious sunshine, it left again on the back of a trailer. All I can do now is hope it's nothing too serious.

IPB Image

Good luck, there are a few good Porsche folks out your way, who did you send it to in the end if I can ask?
defianty
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Mar 8 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Good luck, there are a few good Porsche folks out your way, who did you send it to in the end if I can ask?

Thanks, It's with Simon Rudge in Essex. I've know him for quite some time now so I know it's in good hands.
defianty
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 6 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Not sure what you have tried, but on my webber 3.0 once I cleaned my fuel tank and installed 3 new fuel filters I rarely had any issues in 10 years... most common was a plug idle jet. Good luck!

I've tried everything to be honest. Originally the carb was a little bunged up. Having fuel sitting in it for a while didn't to it any favours. My fuel tank is brand new as are the filter and all the fuel pipes.
defianty
I got the good news today all is good with the car and it was my shoddy work on the carbs causing the issue laugh.gif

I've never been more relieved knowing it was just something I'd done wrong.

The car is now off for a rolling road tune later this week and then back home, just in time for the imminent arrival of some better weather I hope!
Dion
That’s bloody awesome!!! Fantastic Stephen.
Happy for ya! Enjoy it and looking forward to more posts. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Woohoo! That's great news. piratenanner.gif
defianty
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 9 2020, 05:47 PM) *

That’s bloody awesome!!! Fantastic Stephen.
Happy for ya! Enjoy it and looking forward to more posts. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 9 2020, 05:56 PM) *

Woohoo! That's great news. piratenanner.gif

Thanks chaps! I was so happy to get the news as I had prepared for the worst and to be honest I can't afford the worst right now laugh.gif
Root_Werks
Woo Hoo! I'm never too embarrassed to have one of my mistakes corrected. I seem to make enough of them.
defianty
It turned out there was actually more wrong with the car than initially thought although nothing too serious.

After the carbs were rebuilt again the car went to the rolling road but things didn't go to plan and it was discovered the distributor wasn't at all well.

With what we're all facing now the car, with it's now functioning distributor, won't be heading back to the rolling road for a while. So as it was running well enough to drive, earlier in the week I collected it.

Huge thanks to Simon Rudge for his assistance in getting the car up and running.

Once again sharing the same garage as 23e Heure's GT
IPB Image

The car was about an hour from me in the North Essex countryside. It was a beautiful day and the drive home on deserted country roads was fantastic and just the ticket from being stuck indoors.

Obligatory stop for a quick photo.
IPB Image

Whilst the car was with Simon I also got him to install a Rennshift performance shifter. Such an improvement and one I'd thoroughly recommend to any 914 owner.

IPB Image

So far the performance of the car meets my expectations but I'll do a full write up at a later date when everything it properly dialled in and we can get back out on the roads again.
Cairo94507
That is just a beautiful car. wub.gif beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Wonderful news! Another bar-setting 914 is on the road!

You have done such a wonderful job on your car. Nothing more to say except:

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Lucky9146
So happy to see it on the road! Looks great! You did a fantastic job. first.gif
Gongrats beerchug.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg
defianty
Thanks guys. Still plenty of fettling to go yet and sadly as we're on a lockdown here in the UK, no driving.
Biggles
Great news Stephen - what a relief !
Look forward to catching up one day when we are all allowed back on the road !!
defianty
QUOTE(Biggles @ Mar 29 2020, 06:23 PM) *

Great news Stephen - what a relief !
Look forward to catching up one day when we are all allowed back on the road !!

Cheers Chris. Very much looking forward to some summer drives!
defianty
Opportunities to get out are obviously few and far between right now, but there's no harm in extending an essential trip, is there :wink:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Lucky9146
Nice! first.gif

Great picture in the wild.

Isn't it fun to drive with a 6? Congrats again beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Dion
wub.gif
PanelBilly
You need to shoot a video so we can here it roar
TorontoDave
..."underneath and the arches have been sprayed with a black polymer sealer that actually has kevlar fibres mixed in it. It's strong stuff and will provide the level of protection and sound insulation I'm after."

Hi. I know it's been a couple of years. I'm wondering exactly which product you sprayed in the wheel wells to achieve that texture. Is it the same Raptor liner you used for the top? Thanks.

Root_Werks
Some great pictures! So good to see this 914-6 on the road.
defianty
QUOTE(TorontoDave @ Oct 19 2020, 05:10 PM) *

..."underneath and the arches have been sprayed with a black polymer sealer that actually has kevlar fibres mixed in it. It's strong stuff and will provide the level of protection and sound insulation I'm after."

Hi. I know it's been a couple of years. I'm wondering exactly which product you sprayed in the wheel wells to achieve that texture. Is it the same Raptor liner you used for the top? Thanks.

Hi Dave, the product used was called speedliner which also had Kevlar fibres added in. I don't know if speedliner is available outside of the UK. It is essentially a British version of Raptor.
I hope that helps.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 26 2019, 01:30 PM) *

Another month of tinkering and I'm no further sadly. In fact right now I'm further away than I've been in a while.

So far I've managed about 40 miles in the car and none of them have been very enjoyable. Getting the engine to start initially wasn't too difficult but since then it continued to run worse and worse and starting got more and more difficult to the point where it wouldn't start.

The first thing I changed out was the starter motor. I was using my original 0.7Kw unit from the four cylinder and as you can imagine it struggled. I swapped that out for a 2.0Kw High Torque unit and that was a huge help. But each time I went for a quick drive the engine performed different to the previous drive.

I knew the timing was correct, or at least close enough, tappets were perfect and the spark was good, so that just really left fuel.

Last night I pulled the tops of the carbs off and on one bank one of the pump jets was blocked and the other bank two were blocked!

This afternoon I did this...

IPB Image

As you can see they're a bit dirty.

IPB Image

I guess sitting in a box for three years with remnants of fuel in hasn't done them any favours. blink.gif

On the bright side I get to learn how to clean a rebuild a set of PMO's laugh.gif

If anyone's got an good sources of information on how to do this please let me know.

This is a a good pic of PMO's which use IDF floats instead of the IDA floats.
If you're going to run carbs you need to know how to do this chore.
Nice build. thumb3d.gif
TorontoDave
QUOTE(defianty @ Oct 20 2020, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(TorontoDave @ Oct 19 2020, 05:10 PM) *

Hi Dave, the product used was called speedliner which also had Kevlar fibres added in. I don't know if speedliner is available outside of the UK. It is essentially a British version of Raptor.
I hope that helps.

Doesn't look like I can get that product over the counter here in Canada. Raptor should be no problem though. Thanks a bunch. Hey, fantastic job on your car biggrin.gif
TRS63
Stephen, I just read the 29 pages in the last few days and it has been incredibly interesting and motivating. Thanks for sharing your journey!
Cheers from Stuttgart,
Antoine
PanelBilly
Wonderful to see another project ready to be enjoyed on the road. I’d too like to see a video with sound.
horizontally-opposed
What a great looking car!

As or carb sorting on a fresh six…been there done that. Had them gone through on the bench by someone who knows Webers before install, but the car drove horribly until I booked a day on the dyno. That day picked up drivability (big time, which was the goal), but also power, moving from 135 hp at the rear wheels to 169.9. The carbs were so much nicer to live with after that, and have been tweaked ever so slightly since. Pretty nice now, but any estimation has to be tempered by the fact that they're…carbs.
MM1
Well done, Sir! Yes . . .we crave that video with proper, glorious sounds!
defianty
I think they call this a thread resurrection!

The journey is never over and it's time for a well overdue update. Although not an update I wanted to do.

Since hitting the road with the finished car it hasn't all been good. In fact, I've had very little enjoyment out of it since completion and sadly I've only covered just over 1000 miles. Most of those were spent wondering if the engine was going to get me home due the rattling sounds it was making and the ever decreasing oil pressure. headbang.gif

During the summer last year after heading back from a local car and coffee meet things took a turn for the worse and the car was seriously down on power. Having exhausted every option available to me I pulled the engine out of the car, stuck two fingers up at it, closed the garage door and walked away.

It was months until I got back stuck back in after I'd gained some enthusiasm and rapidly running out of time to get the car to Le Man for the Classic.

After many hours of research I encouraged to do a DIY rebuild of the engine. It still scares the hell out of me saying that but the more I get stuck in the more my confidence builds.

I'm just on the strip down and investigative stage at the moment, but I'm enjoying the process and learning lots along the way.

That day about eight months ago when I decided enough was enough!

IPB Image

Ancillaries off and getting down to it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The first unexpected surprise! - 3.2L heads

IPB Image

IPB Image

New workbench with little space left already!

IPB Image

Next step is to split the case - this shot was taken before I got a new engine yoke.

IPB Image

More updates soon as we get inside this thing!

Root_Werks
Son of a B$!@#%, really sucks to have to pull an engine.

Not seeing any smoking guns yet which means it could be rod or main bearing?
Dion
Oh no Stephan!! Sorry that happened. Uggh, my current worse nitemare.
Well you dived in Sir. Hats off to you! I know you’ll sort it.
Keep the pics and lessons coming.
VegasRacer
Enjoy the journey. smash.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif confused24.gif smash.gif hissyfit.gif headbang.gif blink.gif

The rewards will be great on the other end. driving.gif biggrin.gif boldblue.gif
rgalla9146
Unbelievable Stephan !
I'm happy to see you back but wish it was for a happier reason.
I kept up with your thread and loved every minute.
Here we are years later and MY long awaited engine (3.0) proved to be
'not so healthy' too.
Sooooo..... back out it is and the start of a deep dive.
Best
Rory
Lucky9146
Stephan,
Good to hear from you but sorry for the circumstances.

We shared many like experiences at the time on our cars during our builds, although you are a far better metal worker than I. pray.gif

I went though my 3.0 and would be happy to provide any info I can to help.

Best to you beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
tygaboy
Certainly sucks but you've demonstrated your ability to master EVERYTHING you attempt and it's a safe bet that "successful engine rebuilding" will soon be added to your CV.

Can't wait to see it back on the road and you with a big smile! aktion035.gif
defianty
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

With help we split the case last night and essentially found an engine in very good condition. I'll post photos later. No evidence of any wear to the crank or any bearings just a few very light marks. We'd already inspected the pistons and cylinders to see no issues.

The worst wear was founds on all the timing gears on the intermediate shaft which is what I expected as it was a timing chain like noise that was driving me mad, they will all be replaced with new Porsche parts.

All in all, I think I got away lightly and the shopping list, although lengthy, could have been a lot worse and more expensive.

Next step is to clean everything and get some parts to the machine shop for polishing etc.

We're certain the loss of power is not attributed to the condition of the engine, which is great news. We do have other thoughts and will address those as we put everything back together again.

Mark Henry
While apart get a full engine balance done and check the valve guides.
defianty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 18 2022, 09:58 AM) *

While apart get a full engine balance done and check the valve guides.

Absolutely, all planned.
Mark Henry
While in there you might want to think about re-plating the cylinders and adding some 9.5:1 CR pistons, opening up the ports on the 3.2 heads and a set of healthy cams. That would wake the engine up, likely getting you over the 200hp mark.

A link to my 3.0 engine build here.
rgalla9146

Short stroke 3.2 shades.gif
Krieger
Have you taken apart the oil pump yet? See if the two nuts holding it together are loose. I had a similar power loss problem with my 3 liter. The nuts that hold the pump together were finger tight.
defianty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 18 2022, 10:57 AM) *

While in there you might want to think about re-plating the cylinders and adding some 9.5:1 CR pistons, opening up the ports on the 3.2 heads and a set of healthy cams. That would wake the engine up, likely getting you over the 200hp mark.

A link to my 3.0 engine build here.

As tempting as that is I'm happy with the power as it was. It's a 930/10 so already 204bhp. Plus with a 901 box I don't want to push it too much.
defianty
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 18 2022, 02:54 PM) *

Have you taken apart the oil pump yet? See if the two nuts holding it together are loose. I had a similar power loss problem with my 3 liter. The nuts that hold the pump together were finger tight.

Not yet, that'll be tomorrow. I'm fairly sure I'm going to replace the pump for piece of mind.
targa72e
Pump is easy to inspect and with no major engine failure probably in good shape. If good just clean and reuse. Keep all the gears in same orientation while dissembled. Lots of information available on what to look for when inspecting.

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.