Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official TurtleGirl build thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Allan
Isn't it amazing the difference is with just the blasting. Gonna be nice.........
CptTripps
I'll be media blasting next time for sure...that seems like the way to go.

Lokin good guys...
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 6 2005, 07:56 PM)
last:

... I know what I want to be when I grow up.... driving-girl.gif
jeff
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif welder.gif
JoeSharp
Liz: I'll be there Thursday evening. Just need an address. TMB here I come. wub.gif
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Eric Taylor
Wow, i love media blasting/acid dipping. Such a fresh start for the car. Is that in primer as well for $400? I can't tell at all
Andyrew
No, bare steel... Thats the finish when its hit with sand... alot
Eric Taylor
Wow, we'll that sure is cool. I wish I could blast/dip my car, but I wana drive it rather than look at it smile.gif
Eric

P.S.
How nice that this is at our finger tips now in the emoticon tray.
sheeplove.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Jun 6 2005, 07:43 PM)
Liz: I'll be there Thursday evening. Just need an address. TMB here I come. wub.gif
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Joe your gonna wub.gif TMB aktion035.gif Car is looking Great!
Series9
Oil cooler and Vellios oil tank have arrived:
Series9
tank:
don9146
Be sure to test the Vellios tank for leaks before installing. They are notorious for leaking.
JoeSharp
Joe: you have this was of making me feel sooo goood and baad at the same time wub.gif mad.gif.
wub.gif Joe
CptTripps
Yup...I'm taking notes for sure. I see myself doing a six-er this winter. Media blasting is the way to go FOR SURE!
Series9
The first mock-up.

Thinking out loud and looking for creative solutions, I think this might work (with other ducting):
Series9
QUOTE (don9146 @ Jun 7 2005, 03:34 PM)
Be sure to test the Vellios tank for leaks before installing. They are notorious for leaking.

I have a TIG welder... cool.gif
neo914-6
Leave room for the kegs, "real" kegs. beerchug.gif Liz can write this car off as advertising... laugh.gif
TravisNeff
Interesting idea. How are you thinking of ducting air to it? Specifically the exaust or hot air after the cooler? I have seen one (Mountain 914) have a cooler where the fresh air fan was. Brad had built a BP 914 that had the cooler under the front bumper (it had a glass 75-76 style bumper)
Series9
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:17 PM)
Leave room for the kegs,  "real" kegs.  :beer2:  Liz can write this car off as advertising... laugh.gif

She's married to Nico. Nico could write off a big dump in the woods....
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 7 2005, 08:24 PM)
Interesting idea. How are you thinking of ducting air to it? Specifically the exaust or hot air after the cooler? I have seen one (Mountain 914) have a cooler where the fresh air fan was. Brad had built a BP 914 that had the cooler under the front bumper (it had a glass 75-76 style bumper)

The exhaust is easy. I'll make the aluminum rain tray for the header so it catches rain, but still exhausts air. (No heat or defog in this car)

The air supply to the cooler is more difficult, but I think I have a relatively simple solution. Watch for pics...
neo914-6
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 7 2005, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:17 PM)
Leave room for the kegs,  "real" kegs.  :beer2:  Liz can write this car off as advertising... laugh.gif

She's married to Nico. Nico could wright off a big dump in the woods....

I take it Nico is loaded...in many ways. laugh.gif j/k, I met him. biggrin.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:33 PM)
I take it Nico is loaded...in many ways.

Yeah, ALWAYS have a source of ventilation readily available.... sheeplove.gif
VegasRacer
Liz, Lauren (and Joe too) - I sure hope you can make it to the Route 66 Classic this weekend. If so, I have some critical parts to donate for your build project.
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 7 2005, 09:27 PM)

She's married to Nico. Nico could write off a big dump in the woods....

Yeah, Nico's really creative when it comes to finding tax write-offs...

cool_shades.gif

I don't think he's ever tried to write-off one of his dumps, though!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif pain30.gif
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jun 8 2005, 04:39 AM)
Liz, Lauren (and Joe too) - I sure hope you can make it to the Route 66 Classic this weekend. If so, I have some critical parts to donate for your build project.

We'll be there Friday evening - Saturday afternoon. We're not going all the way to Nevada, but we'll hang in there for a while. Sorry, no 914 going, though... My Passat will have to do! driving-girl.gif tongue.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (TurtleGirl @ Jun 8 2005, 05:07 PM)
I don't think he's ever tried to write-off one of his dumps, though!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif pain30.gif

If that doesn't impress the IRS, I don't know what will.

LMAO chairfall.gif
Series9
Let the welding begin!

Three pictures follow.

We welded up the holes for the late bumpers and one side of the roll bar trim. It's a good thing I'm an experienced TIG welder on sheet metal or this would have been a train wreck. MIG welding is easy, but my TIG experience was necessary to just step up and weld sheet metal (.045")on a car (instead of practicing first).
Series9
front:
Series9
last:
Series9
Cut the oil cooler hole and welded up the side-marker holes today:
Series9
next:
Series9
last:
CptTripps
Is that where you put the oil cooler on yours? Other than removing the plug-holes, how are you going to funnel the air up to there?

Looking great man...
Allan
Great stuff Joe, keep 'em coming..........
xitspd
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 14 2005, 07:47 PM)
last:

ohmy.gif Nice work! I like the oil cooler location. Bumpers on the way, UPS tracking number 1ZE529750397588769

beerchug.gif
dakotaewing
Joe,
What are you using to cut the sheet metal? Is that a grinder with a cutting wheel or something else? If it is a cuting wheel could you give some details..?
The cutting wheels I have used with my grinder give me a "rougher cut" than I would like.... Almost like they are too thick to do detail cutting.... confused24.gif
Thanks

Thom
Series9
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 14 2005, 08:50 PM)
Is that where you put the oil cooler on yours? Other than removing the plug-holes, how are you going to funnel the air up to there?

Looking great man...

No. It's not where my cooler is located, but it will work nicely for this application. Mine is mandatory for the 3.6 and has to have a fan running at all times. This is a traditional aux cooler, and is twice the size necessary.

Translation: No fans and marginal ducting will do the job.
J P Stein
Great post, Joe.
skline
I am here Joe, watching, waiting, wishing I could come help. I love these cars.
Series9
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jun 14 2005, 09:08 PM)
Joe,
What are you using to cut the sheet metal? Is that a grinder with a cutting wheel or something else? If it is a cuting wheel could you give some details..?
The cutting wheels I have used with my grinder give me a "rougher cut" than I would like.... Almost like they are too thick to do detail cutting.... confused24.gif
Thanks

Thom

4"x.040" w/5/8" arbor.

I use them all the time. They cost about a dollar each at Home Depot.
CptTripps
agree.gif

Those are what I use too....Just take the INSIDE out, and you can get pretty precision with them.
dakotaewing
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 14 2005, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jun 14 2005, 09:08 PM)
Joe,
Thanks

Thom

4"x.040" w/5/8" arbor.

I use them all the time. They cost about a dollar each at Home Depot.

Joe,

Thanks for the details - and the pic-

TE
Aaron Cox
funky oil cooler placement.... interesting....
rick 918-S
i've got my eye on you.... cool_shades.gif aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 14 2005, 11:36 PM)
agree.gif

Those are what I use too....Just take the INSIDE out, and you can get pretty precision with them.

INSIDE out???? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

Please explain....
TE
MJHanna
so whats the plan for a gas tank? you going to do a fuel cell in the trunk area?
Series9
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jun 15 2005, 04:48 AM)
so whats the plan for a gas tank? you going to do a fuel cell in the trunk area?

We're going to use a stock tank. There's room.
MJHanna
k it just does not look like you will have good air flow through the cooler idea.gif confused24.gif
Series9
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jun 15 2005, 03:34 PM)
k  it just does not look like you will have good air flow through the cooler  :idea:  :confused:

This cooler is twice the size necessary for the engine. If the cooler gets any flow, it should easily keep temps in check.

The cooler's placement in this location solves a few problems and keeps the front trunk functioning as a trunk (at least to some degree).

It's not completely worked out, but it will be. As for ducting, I'm building a custom rain tray for the header that will keep rain out, but lets air escape from the gas tank compartment. In the front, I'm going to try simply letting air in through the original cooler holes with no other ducting. If the cooler needs more flow, actual ducting will follow after the car's completion.

Considering the aux cooler that came stock on 3.0SC engines, I think we're going to be fine with this.
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jun 14 2005, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 14 2005, 11:36 PM)
agree.gif

INSIDE out???? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

Please explain....
TE

I think what Joe means, correct me if I'm wrong, is to cut on the inside of the line... not the actual line. You'll end up with a precise cut without it being too big or rough. If you cut centered on the line, you'll end up with a minimal margin of error... sometimes you don't want any error!!!

Thanks for all of the support guys!

driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.