Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official TurtleGirl build thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
scotty914
joe question for ya, why not mount the oil coiler directly under the fresh air intake on the cowl, and put a drain tray under it. i would think you might get a little more air flow, same idea but more flow thru the cooler. also this might have a slight advantage when sitting still as in the chimney effect. i would think a direct out let might be a little better, and not preheat the gas.

just had another idea with the cowl idea, then you could put a reversable fan sucking to the the cabin for heat ( at least a little ) some air flow when blowing for when the car is not moving foward
Dead Air
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 15 2005, 03:05 PM)

The cooler's placement in this location solves a few problems and keeps the front trunk functioning as a trunk (at least to some degree).

[QUOTE]

Good pun!! biggrin.gif
Series9
Welded in the passenger side of the stiffening kit today. The MIG is getting a real work out:
Series9
And Liz's first beads. We'll have her welding on the car soon:
Thorshammer
Joe,

I have enjoyed your build thread tremendously. I have my cooler on my racecar mounted in the shock tower bulkhead and it is ducted to the fresh air opening in the cowl, however I do not run a windshield. I was unsure of how you were planning to duct the air and exhaust the air from the cooler. I know your car will be running a windshield and at speeds you will have a high pressure zone at the bottom of the windscreen. High enough that air will not flow out of the fresh air duct on the cowling, but flow into it. Maybe I did not get the gist of your cooling but thought I should mention it.

Regards,

Erik Madsen
TravisNeff
Joe, looking good as usual. Are you using all parts from the stiffening kit? When you get a chance, can you take some underside shots of that lower piece?

Liz, you are going to be a better welder than most of us here shortly
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 22 2005, 08:29 PM)
Are you using all parts from the stiffening kit? When you get a chance, can you take some underside shots of that lower piece?

No, there are two pieces that will only go in an original six due to the differences in motor mount locations.

I cut down the piece on the bottom, so there's not much more than you can see.
Series9
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Jun 22 2005, 08:18 PM)
I was unsure of how you were planning to duct the air and exhaust the air from the cooler.

It's a work in progress....

I figured it would be point of debate.
Thorshammer
Only wanted to bring it up, I sure wish I could find a chassis as clean as what you have. It would have save d me so many hours of problems.

Erik M
Series9
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Jun 22 2005, 09:01 PM)
I sure wish I could find a chassis as clean as what you have. It would have save d me so many hours of problems.

It could be better. It was hit pretty hard in the driver's side at some point in its life.

After a lengthy discussion with my body man today, I decided that I'm going to remove the (previously replaced) left front fender so we can get in there to properly fix the chassis.

Watch for pics of the chassis strapped down being pulled back into shape.
TravisNeff
You mean you are using 2 pieces, or ditching 2 pieces?
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 22 2005, 09:11 PM)
You mean you are using 2 pieces, or ditching 2 pieces?

Travis, my friend, can you not see that four pieces are in place in the picture I provided? cool.gif

.....ditched two pieces..
TravisNeff
I sure as hell do now. Thanks for the kick in the chops there buddy. bootyshake.gif
Mr.C
Joe,
Did you have the doors along with the front and rear trunk sandblasted as well?
Any problems with rust wanting to form while waiting for primer?
maf914
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 22 2005, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Jun 22 2005, 08:18 PM)
I was unsure of how you were planning to duct the air and exhaust the air from the cooler.

It's a work in progress....

I figured it would be point of debate.

Joe, the cooler location in the forward bulkhead is interesting. How about a NACA type intake in the middle of the front lid feeding a shallow duct to the cooler. A duct a couple of inches deep and the width of the cooler along the inner surface of the hood would probably deliver a pretty good air supply. And it would only take a few inches from the trunk space. But you would then have to deal with rain water, so maybe not such a good idea for a street car. idea.gif
MJHanna
Danm it, Joe we all just don’t like the cooler location fix it, NOW happy11.gif
JoeSharp
Joe: We've started to cut up the cars here. What do you need? I have 2 more drivers doorposts to cut out so if I don't get this one right I still have another chance. This is the one Thomas cut out last week.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dead Air
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jun 23 2005, 07:05 AM)

[QUOTE]

chairfall.gif
Series9
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Jun 23 2005, 08:05 AM)

OK, I came up with a solution: This device will no longer be called an 'oil cooler'. From this point forward, it will be referred to as a 'gas tank heater'. cool.gif

Travis, I'm sorry for the 'kick in the chops'. I couldn't resist. I'm sure you'll have one for me soon.
Series9
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Jun 23 2005, 06:55 PM)
Joe: We've started to cut up the cars here. What do you need? I have 2 more drivers doorposts to cut out so if I don't get this one right I still have another chance. This is the one Thomas cut out last week.

That is the piece I need, but that one looks like the piece where the door mounts might be dented.

Can you tell?
Series9
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Jun 22 2005, 10:42 PM)
Joe,
Did you have the doors along with the front and rear trunk sandblasted as well?
Any problems with rust wanting to form while waiting for primer?

They aren't blasted yet, but there's no problem with bare metal in NM.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 23 2005, 09:30 PM)

Travis, I'm sorry for the 'kick in the chops'. I couldn't resist. I'm sure you'll have one for me soon.

I walked into that one, didn't I. laugh.gif
Series9
Liz's new wheels:
skline
Those are my favorite wheels for a 914 with 5 lug, 16" Boxster wheels, they look really good on a 914.
Mr.C
This is better than the Man Show. Seeing new posts is like getting Excellence in the mail! smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
Did I miss it some place?

What's the ultimate plan for the powerplant on the car? Izzit gonna be a 3.6 RS jr?
Series9
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 26 2005, 10:36 AM)

What's the ultimate plan for the powerplant on the car? Izzit gonna be a 3.6 RS jr?

3.0SC out of my 911.
scotty914
well joe you know that now your are taking parts from lucky's car you are going to have to build her a 914 too. at least the 911 will give good parts to liz's car. hopefully you can part out the 911 after the needed parts are removed to get what you wanted for it.

you need to make a sigh up for the end of the drive way

JOE'S CUSTOM GARAGE
Joe Bob
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 26 2005, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 26 2005, 10:36 AM)

What's the ultimate plan for the powerplant on the car?  Izzit gonna be a 3.6 RS jr?

3.0SC out of my 911.

Gonna do 964 cams are anything?
Series9
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 26 2005, 11:15 AM)

Gonna do 964 cams are anything?

We're trying to keep this build under $18k, so the engine will remain stock. I built the engine two years ago, so we should be good.
Series9
Here's the latest list of needed parts:

Front valence
Front turn lenses
Fuel tank supports
Fuel tank strap (front)
Front sway bar assembly/tabs
19mm master cylinder
Pedal assembly
Interior windshield trim
Targa latches (front and rear)
Throttle pedal
Rear shift rod (side shifter)
Aluminum door sills (two inside)
Early window handles
Exterior door handles
Rockers
Jack hole plugs
Aluminum seal channels for windshield targa seal and on roll bar
Interior trim for the roll bar (all 3)
Exterior trim for the roll bar (all 3)
Center tunnel cover plates (front and rear)
Pull knob and trim for the engine deck
Cable housing for the front deck
Dash top
Tranny
1 drive shaft
2 drive shaft nuts
Rear valence
Rear sway bar assembly
Shock bolts for rear sway bar
JoeSharp
Joe: Door posts.
JoeSharp
Or
Series9
Joe,

Those look good. I'll be in LA Wednesday to Friday. I'll try to get down to Huntington.
Gint
Joe and Liz

PM me your address(es). I'll be in town Saturday to return Liz's cooler. And of course I want to see the progress first hand. Quick stop though, as the entire fam will be with me.
Eric_Shea
Gotcha covered here Wienerschnitzle...

Rear valence

Gint... stop by and pickup Joes parts laugh.gif

Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 27 2005, 09:00 AM)
Gotcha covered here Wienerschnitzle...

Rear valence

Gint... stop by and pickup Joes parts laugh.gif

Nice try...

Where the hell is Joe? That guy's the king of droppin a post and runnin off lately.
Eric_Shea
Where the hell is Joe? That guy's the king of droppin a post and runnin off lately.

Just wait... then he'll come back and whine that "Nobody likes me, I posted and nobody responded... waaaaaaaaaa" laugh.gif

Get with it Joey lol3.gif

Gint, call me. Cell's on.
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ Jun 27 2005, 05:41 AM)
Joe and Liz

PM me your address(es). I'll be in town Saturday to return Liz's cooler. And of course I want to see the progress first hand. Quick stop though, as the entire fam will be with me.

4490 Alpine Circle SE
Rio Rancho, NM 87124

When will you be here?
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ Jun 27 2005, 03:37 PM)

Yeah, I posted this morning, left the house, flew to Oregon, waited three hours, flew to Las Vegas, was there for five minutes and then flew home.

I walked in five minutes ago and here I am to answer your emails. Well.....I did get a beer first. beer.gif
Gint
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 27 2005, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Jun 27 2005, 05:41 AM)
Joe and Liz

PM me your address(es).   I'll be in town Saturday to return Liz's cooler.  And of course I want to see the progress first hand.  Quick stop though, as the entire fam will be with me.

4490 Alpine Circle SE
Rio Rancho, NM 87124

When will you be here?

We're headed down to Ruidoso, so it might work into the plan pretty well. I need to talk to Shar too about the route plan before I commit. And then, there are three teenagers to motivate at the crack of dawn...

With any luck, noon or 1:00 p.m. or so. I got a PM form Liz; The pub sounds like a good spot for chow anyway. Stay tuned... I'll get back to ya. Here's my cell so you have it: 720-480-2540
Series9
Gotta love eBay. We got $212.
Series9
Removed the driver's front fender today in order to address the previous damage from a hard T-bone.

Six follow:
Series9
two:
Series9
three:
redshift
holy crap... nothin' scares joe! smilie_pokal.gif

m
Series9
four:
Series9
five:
Series9
last:
skline
The minute you become afraid of something, it will get the best of you. No Fear, Words to live by. Joe, I applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work. clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.