Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official TurtleGirl build thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Series9
Oil cooler mod. I haven't pressure tested it yet:

Series9
No work today. We FINALLY got some snow:

roundboy914
thanks, please keep us updated!
WRX914
nice work! smilie_pokal.gif

How's the progress?
Series9
I'm wiring the engine from scratch, so we threw the FI on top today so I could make a plan:

Series9
I changed the alternator from externally regulated to a late model. I don't think there's supposed to be an issue with the length of the 6 'through bolts' around the perimeter, but there was. They were all about an inch too short. I spent most of the afternoon yesterday fabricating (don't ask) longer versions to make this work:

Series9
Here's the old drivers door bulkhead:

Series9
And the primary reason for the slow progress recently is that I've been expanding. Everything but the black tool box is new and almost every drawer is full:

markb
Hmmm, Ahndy must have been over to take that last pic. laugh.gif

Nice work on the car! clap56.gif
thesey914
biggrin.gif makes a great fridge door handle.
Series9
Rough engine wiring has begun.

Today we adjusted the valves, installed the alternator and I showed Liz the procedure for setting cam timing. She was a little wide-eyed, but understands the basic idea.
Leo Imperial
blink.gif
Series9
CIS is on board. I still have to finish the wiring.

I plan to install the engine/tranny this week:
Lou W
Sure is taking shape, you're doing a great job. smile.gif
montoya 73 2.0
WOW! outstanding work and love the color. Cheers to you both! beer3.gif
Series9
Here's a short update. We should get a bunch finished tomorrow.

Here are the filter, accumulator and CD box mounted in the engine bay.

And the engine wiring, vacuum hosing and fuel plumbing will be finished tomorrow.
Series9
Hmmmm.

It wouldn't let me add a second picture.

Here it is:

Series9
New fuel pump in place.

Wiring is basically finished with new Porsche connectors.

New plug in the engine bay.
Series9
Multiple pics is not working for me.

Here are the other two:
Series9
last:
Series9
The engine installation:

Series9
Last:

Series9
.....and for those of you who were skeptical, the 7x16 w/225's in the rear ARE going to fit.
sixnotfour
Lookin Good
are those early 6 bolt lower valve covers ?
Series9
Only on one side...
Gint
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 16 2006, 10:22 PM) *

.....and for those of you who were skeptical, the 7x16 w/225's in the rear ARE going to fit.

Once the car is fully laden they will rub on the inner fender well under full suspension compression. wink.gif Disclaimer - Unless of course you make some modification beyond wheel spacers.
Series9
Oil lines. $395 @ the local hydraulic shop.

The engine is fighting me. The fuel distributor is toast and will need replacing....

I'm glad the Scirocco was here to test the injectors.

The broken coil is on national backorder.....

More when I have a good day.
Series9
Today: Fun with other people's money.

I figured there's no point in putting off the things we need any longer.

$1400 for:

Rebuilt fuel distributor
Headers
MSD ignition system with coil and Crane points replacement
Brake pads
Windshield clips
Brake grommets
and some other small stuff.

I still have a bunch of oil plumbing to finish, but I should be able to attempt a light-off next week.
Series9
Here's the latest progress.

The oil supply adaptor has been an ongoing project. I haven't said anything about it yet in case it failed. But I'm feeling pretty good about it righ now.

Here's a steel -16 fitting I had turned down and recessed at a machine shop.

Series9
Here's the oil cooler with all the original supply facility removed:

Series9
Here's the bushing I made to center the fitting on the block so I can make an accurate bracket (it's sitting in the end of the fitting):

Series9
Here is the fitting sitting in place on the block. I'm making and welding the bracket for it tomorrow:
Series9
MSD 6A:

Series9
Autometer tach:

Series9
Liz trying out her new GTS seat:

Series9
And finally.

Look at the firewall between the shift rod and the clutch cable. The two-holed plate will hold two 90 degree bulkhead fittings for the oil system. Running the lines for the oil cooler down the center tunnel has been a pain in the ass. I will likely not do it again.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 30 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Running the lines for the oil cooler down the center tunnel has been a pain in the ass.

pretty tight in there with the shift rod and all. two things to think about, first, if the supply and return line are too close together, the hot supply line will reheat the cold return oil and secondly, the hot oil lines will radiate a lot of heat which will be unpleasant at best for both, the driver and the passanger ...

nice progress on the car!
beerchug.gif Andy
Series9
It's done now. We're using hydraulic line, which is much thicker than normal stuff, so I'm thinking they won't radiate too much heat into the car.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2006, 08:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ May 30 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Running the lines for the oil cooler down the center tunnel has been a pain in the ass.

pretty tight in there with the shift rod and all. two things to think about, first, if the supply and return line are too close together, the hot supply line will reheat the cold return oil and secondly, the hot oil lines will radiate a lot of heat which will be unpleasant at best for both, the driver and the passanger ...

nice progress on the car!
beerchug.gif Andy

Series9
You guys have not been responding lately, BUT, I have big news.

There are no pictures, however, the engine lit-off and ran today.

Raise a beer!
McMark
Sweet! Where's the video. wink.gif poke.gif
Gint
Grats!

beerchug.gif
JoeSharp
Way Kool Joe. Put a sticker on the frig for me.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
John
the hot supply line will reheat the cold return oil and secondly, the hot oil lines will radiate a lot of heat which will be unpleasant at best for both, the driver and the passanger ...

You are joking, right?

We have oil lines running inside the passenger comp in the race car and this does not present any burn hazard or radiate much heat either. If oil lines radiated heat like you suggest, there would be no need for oil coolers. Just run a bunch of line.

Joe, you beat me to it. I hope to get my engine in this weekend (if the planets align just right).

You are doing an excellent job documenting this project start to finish. Keep posting pics. When done, are you going to post a total cost to build (parts only)?
Dr. Roger
it only took you a year and a month!!!

way faster than my 914 project. =-)

congratulations. it's been very rewarding to watch your project coming together and it does look fantastic.

beerchug.gif beer3.gif clap56.gif jsharp.gif popcorn[1].gif
Eric Taylor
this continues to be my favoriate thread on the board. thanks for the updates and beautiful work. Keep the info coming joe i'm just dieing for my inbox to tell me an update has been posted!

Eric
Series9
Thanks for the comments.

We're having a party tonight for the official light-off.

I need to get the points working again by 5pm......

I'll post pictures later.
VegasRacer
piratenanner.gif WooHoo beerchug.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:32 AM) *

Thanks for the comments.

We're having a party tonight for the official light-off.

I need to get the points working again by 5pm......

I'll post pictures later.

Awesome Joe! Congrats.

Do you still need my front valance? Its yours if needed.
rick 918-S
<<<<<----- beerchug.gif
Series9
The pics from tonight:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.