Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DRPHIL914

icon_bump.gif
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 4 2018, 10:29 AM) *

just talked to mike, touch up and repairs done welded geound etc, car had the last block and sand, final prep for paint complete this week, bottom was stripped and reprimed, ready for texture, paint will be shot next weekend!!!!

finally an update worth updating! this was delayed for several reasons, some additional repair, and then weather(humidity etc) and just schedules, but last week the floorpan and bottom trunk were painted, and then the rear trunk and the engine compartment , followed by the firewall inside and out!. The rest of the car has now been taped off and all the outer panels doors etc etc are in process of paint - 3 coats base and 3 clear, I pick up the car on Saturday !! I will post some pictures soon and am finishing up the pushrod tube seals and all the tin replacement on the motor this week so it can go back in the car next week. so many things to do...... I have been gathering parts and pieces over the past 4-5 months as time and money would allow. I am sure I have missed some stuff. I didn't get the chrome bumpers over to get chromed yet and now I am afraid I would not get them back in time to be mounted before the trip to Okteenerfest in Sept. well , that and close to a $1000 or more to get them done- I have a very nice rear early bumper and a nice early front,(also a rough later front with bumperguards). Will see how it all goes but I would like to get new front Sekurit glass and might order this from dealer, not sure how else to do it hear. any advice would be nice.

Painted the tank over the weekend, few other bits like fitting the air deflector cooling flaps on the fan housing , and mounted the rebuilt throttle body on the newly repainted plenum. small steps but progress none the less. icon_bump.gif

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 4 2018, 10:29 AM) *

just talked to mike, touch up and repairs done welded geound etc, car had the last block and sand, final prep for paint complete this week, bottom was stripped and reprimed, ready for texture, paint will be shot next weekend!!!!

finally an update worth updating! this was delayed for several reasons, some additional repair, and then weather(humidity etc) and just schedules, but last week the floorpan and bottom trunk were painted, and then the rear trunk and the engine compartment , followed by the firewall inside and out!. The rest of the car has now been taped off and all the outer panels doors etc etc are in process of paint - 3 coats base and 3 clear, I pick up the car on Saturday !! I will post some pictures soon and am finishing up the pushrod tube seals and all the tin replacement on the motor this week so it can go back in the car next week. so many things to do...... I have been gathering parts and pieces over the past 4-5 months as time and money would allow. I am sure I have missed some stuff. I didn't get the chrome bumpers over to get chromed yet and now I am afraid I would not get them back in time to be mounted before the trip to Okteenerfest in Sept. well , that and close to a $1000 or more to get them done- I have a very nice rear early bumper and a nice early front,(also a rough later front with bumperguards). Will see how it all goes but I would like to get new front Sekurit glass and might order this from dealer, not sure how else to do it hear. any advice would be nice.

Painted the tank over the weekend, few other bits like fitting the air deflector cooling flaps on the fan housing , and mounted the rebuilt throttle body on the newly repainted plenum. small steps but progress none the less. icon_bump.gif
DRPHIL914
motor refresh assembly progress
Mblizzard
It is amazing how when you start this process it gets to the point of it seems like everything on the car needs attention!

Glad all I have left is a dyno tune, alignment, and corner balancing. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.
DRPHIL914
this was last week right before final prep for paint
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 09:56 AM) *

Lucy! YOU got some assembling to do before Okteenerfest!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 02:31 PM) *

YUP!. and I have not done the rebuild on the fresh air box yet- I was going to order a new motor for the fan and put in new controls as well- And I have the
LED gauge set that I won 2 years ago in the raffle that have to go in(want to- don't really have to but I would like to get this done sooner than later, and the 123ignition distributor, and all new targa vinyl , and new carpet and floor vinyl, and and and!!
I do have help, my friend Jim that came with to Banner Elk Okteenerfest 2 years ago(year I got food poisoning from the pink pig bbq place icon8.gif ) will be helping me out - he helped me pull the motor, and is way over qualified for this work, having a back ground in aircraft mechanics and electronics(avionics?) anyway way better to have help.

I have to say later I will put together a list of all the stuff I have amassed over past year or 2. but as a quick side note I have sourced more parts from
Bruce Stone, 914Rubber, and AA than I can count. But recently also a few other odds and ends from 914ltd(Brad M.) and a bunch of other members. Bob Bishoff when out of his way to get me a rust free driver door since mine was not really savagable. Thanks Bob!! I mean out of his way - he drove the door and a set of outer rockers and a front valance from his place in Athens GA to my guy's shop just outside of Columbia SC!!!! talk about helping out a brotha!! saved me 10 hours of road time if I had made road trip to go get parts and take them over to the shop and then back home! aktion035.gif

billh1963
Phil...Let me know when you go over there and I'll meet you.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 25 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Will do- if it works for Mike I am planning on leaving here in time to get to the shop at about 9-9:30 Saturday morning.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 02:31 PM) *

YUP!. and I have not done the rebuild on the fresh air box yet- I was going to order a new motor for the fan and put in new controls as well- And I have the
LED gauge set that I won 2 years ago in the raffle that have to go in(want to- don't really have to but I would like to get this done sooner than later, and the 123ignition distributor, and all new targa vinyl , and new carpet and floor vinyl, and and and!!
I do have help, my friend Jim that came with to Banner Elk Okteenerfest 2 years ago(year I got food poisoning from the pink pig bbq place icon8.gif ) will be helping me out - he helped me pull the motor, and is way over qualified for this work, having a back ground in aircraft mechanics and electronics(avionics?) anyway way better to have help.

I have to say later I will put together a list of all the stuff I have amassed over past year or 2. but as a quick side note I have sourced more parts from
Bruce Stone, 914Rubber, and AA than I can count. But recently also a few other odds and ends from 914ltd(Brad M.) and a bunch of other members. Bob Bishoff when out of his way to get me a rust free driver door since mine was not really savagable. Thanks Bob!! I mean out of his way - he drove the door and a set of outer rockers and a front valance from his place in Athens GA to my guy's shop just outside of Columbia SC!!!! talk about helping out a brotha!! saved me 10 hours of road time if I had made road trip to go get parts and take them over to the shop and then back home! aktion035.gif

Awesome. If it starts looking grim as it gets close put out a call. Not super close but could make the trip over and do a massive build weekend!
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 25 2018, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 25 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Will do- if it works for Mike I am planning on leaving here in time to get to the shop at about 9-9:30 Saturday morning.

Cool. Maybe I'll drive the new whip over there laugh.gif
DRPHIL914
old dirty oily undercylinder air deflector
DRPHIL914
not sure how bad the cylinder head leak is i think this was over a very long time.
new tubes ans seals in place
DRPHIL914
new seals from Mcmark and will see how they work.
DRPHIL914
new powdercoated valve covers from Bruce Stone
DRPHIL914
more stuff from Bruce--and out with old and in with new stuff that will not be seen by the average person, unless you are crawling under my car.
Mblizzard
Your know Bruce is a great date provider! My cheap self would like to say he is not cheap but worth it. But he is very reasonable and very much worth it!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 28 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Your know Bruce is a great date provider! My cheap self would like to say he is not cheap but worth it. But he is very reasonable and very much worth it!

yes worth it for sure! BTW 2 days to pick up the car! I have to do the other side tonight and put all the sheet metal back on, intakes , plenum, alternator etc and exhaust back on so that I can put the motor back in asap- but really I just got the SS fuel lines and those have to go in first, then motor , and the fresh air box has to get sorted before I put the tank in. good think I have all of next week off!! going to get most of it done if I can next week. I would like to get the 123 distributor installed and tested out well before we head out in September. - All new injectors, seals etc I am hoping will improve it, the weird occasional bucking I was getting had to either be distributor related or injection related - will find out.
Mike you ran one of these can you tell me what plug wires you used with the 123?

Phil
DRPHIL914
might not see this from below when in the car but still wanted to clean and polish the top side of these
DRPHIL914
before-- wasnt too bad for 5 years of use
DRPHIL914
and bottoms just as nice- SS is pretty easy to polish up- green scotch brite pad and some h2o then a bit of Mothers Mag and aluminum polish
DRPHIL914
VHT silver metallic paint on muffler- done, now off to put the tin back on the motor-
TravisNeff
poke.gif pics, pics, pics....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 30 2018, 05:19 PM) *

poke.gif pics, pics, pics....

i know! Mike is not a big picture taker and i am picking it up monday so a few more days,
DRPHIL914
motor tin going on---
DRPHIL914
another
DRPHIL914
so many months since i took it off and putting it all back on later and not fresh in my memory the order it came off- i had to take one side off 2x! i didnt put the alternator back in and forgot the plastic trim ring- i think i finally have it. back sides and front and all new tin and Hex top screws for all of it!
DRPHIL914
and the plenum also is newly pwoder coated , and the intakes all were done by Mr 914 parts and powdercoater Bruce Stone!
DRPHIL914
front piece was a bit tricky, and the lower small side pieces that cover side if cylinder heads, it all goes back on a certain way or it just wont fit correctly - while i was at it- already dis the front crank seal and now a new alternator belt, and today i put in the cylinder head temp gauge wire, that ill be added to my center console- ordered a dakota digital- Mike you can tell them i got one due to their sponsorship of 914 Okteenerfest-
DRPHIL914
last picture- kind of out of order- i will finish the other side later, lost one of the studs that backed out when took the intake runners off. After that i will hook up the new wires, and harness- i want it to be as clean and organized as i can- i also have a whole new set of Vac lines! orhers were not bad, but dirty after 9 years-
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 2 2018, 08:21 AM) *

so many months since i took it off and putting it all back on later and not fresh in my memory the order it came off- i had to take one side off 2x! i didnt put the alternator back in and forgot the plastic trim ring- i think i finally have it. back sides and front and all new tin and Hex top screws for all of it!

Quick tip. Save your old intake gaskets. Put duct tape over one side and bolt back on to prevent items from getting inside intakes. Works much better than stuffing things in the opening.

Looking good!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
does look great, to be politically correct, the intake runners should be gray zinc
Mblizzard
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 2 2018, 09:49 AM) *

does look great, to be politically correct, the intake runners should be gray zinc

You and your vast wealth of 914 knowledge! Sometimes it is hard for us that only have the limited knowledge base of mere mortals to even get them back together let alone paint them correctly.

To be clear, that was very tongue in cheek comment. I learn a little more each time you post a bit of info.

But that would be a cool kind of write up. Proper engine colors!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 2 2018, 01:49 PM) *

yea, i know, but they get dirty so fast- i resisted temptation in a lot of areas but i am no longer 100% original, - color will be correct on car but i have 5 lug with 16" fuchs , LED dash gauges thanks Timothy!, but almost every thing is Porsche including the now back dates chrome bumpers- undortunately you know better than anyone George how in the past people stripped down cars that were good ans saveable- when i got this car some sucker had taken out the AP groups stuff the car came with, like my center console, Fog light bumpers and fog lights so i had to source all that to get it back and of course try finding an original center console in good shape!.
So this started 10 years ago and you Mark Whitesell and others have helped fill a lot og gaps since then. if not for Chris Foley doing the MPS rebuild kits i would have hd Bob Woodman put on a custom FI injection anlong time ago. so trying to stay very close to original as i can. - nothing that cannot be changed back including the bumpers.

If i had it to do over again though i would have just sourced some nice 2.0 Fuchs and stayed in the "Original class" for local, regional PCA and Okteenerfest.
DRPHIL914
color!!
TravisNeff
popcorn[1].gif
Mblizzard
Looks good,
Chris H.
That copper is going to look SO GOOD. I saw a freshly painted one several years back. Very rich color and the metallic really pops in the sunlight.
DRPHIL914
its funny how the camera will show color differently in different lighting or angles- the one picture looks much closer to the correct copper color , the others look more red.
the firewall, floors and underside of floor pan and trunk are all being shot with a tinted coating. i am not sure even what its called, but on the floors and firewall it will add some sound deadening insulation and underside a lot more protection from the elements like road grime rocks etc.

I believe this was all yesterday, he will be shooting all the base and clear on all the outer panels the next couple days.
IronHillRestorations
...I love the smell of fresh paint in the morning...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 3 2018, 01:47 PM) *

...I love the smell of fresh paint in the morning...

agree.gif happy11.gif
Cairo94507
Is SirAndy taking those photos????? Seriously, nice color. Great step forward for sure.
DRPHIL914
base on, clear on, Rock on! aktion035.gif
simonjb
Looks fantastic !
DRPHIL914
true color
DRPHIL914
this metallic is amazing

the guy in the picture is Mike, the paint and body guy
DRPHIL914
one more
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 8 2018, 03:08 PM) *

this metallic is amazing

the guy in the picture is Mike, the paint and body guy

To Mike first.gif

Need you on the West Coast..SoCal specifically.

beerchug.gif

Oscar
TravisNeff
That is some good looking paint amigo!
billh1963
Car will look amazing after you put it back together!
DRPHIL914
does anyone remember what my rear wheel wells and fenders looked like? yes the 7" fuchs will fit no rubbing and these look stock but actually are about 3/4" more room than before- first work replacing the arch was Ed at Tangerine Racing when the did the floors and jack points, and they pounded them out quite a bit , all metal work, they just were not paint ready, Mike finished it all off and i am very pleased with the results!
this is the first 914 Mike has done, although last year there were 4 cars he did that were shown at the Hilton Head Island Concours de'elegance couple MG's etc. i hope to be in the car club jambore which shows off each car clubs pics for the year .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.