Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 27 2017, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 27 2017, 07:56 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Really !!!!
I counted 15...... poke.gif

lots of sand in the rubber seal thst is supposed to cober the back side of electrial connectors for turn bucket - also some rust in the ftont trunk seal channel,
DRPHIL914
mess and a bit of rust in the fender wells behind front bumper
DRPHIL914
original copper undwr the window trim show the difference from the respray thats coming off
DRPHIL914
front foot well with the foam out, this will all get cleaned up and resprayed with aound deadener thsn new unsullation pad under carpet
DRPHIL914
can you name that wire??
mepstein
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 27 2017, 12:09 PM) *

can you name that wire??

Erg wire
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 27 2017, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 27 2017, 12:09 PM) *

can you name that wire??

Erg wire

Winner! - matches the plug in the trunk , rear drivers side- didn't know what this was when I was trouble shooting some electrical issues when i first bought the car, had some wiring shorted out in the trunk- my understanding it was in 75-76 for the emissions add-ons with the catalytic converter etcc.
DRPHIL914
progress!

finally some pictures to post

old paint has been stripped off, outside anyway, and is in primer!
DRPHIL914
update coming! car should be ready for paint in a few weeks, , just got my bumpers in, and have been cleaning up the engine, ready to put the new shroud and tin back on
DRPHIL914
been working on getting all my bits together for the
motor, cleaning stripping and repainting some of the tin pieces like the air cooling flaps this past weekend, pulled all the tin off the motor,
pulled the shroud impeller etc to clean behind it all and look for leaks-, replaced the front crank seal too.

The car itself is really close to being ready to paint. Had to source a new driver door- Thanks BigKat Bob for providing one for me! That was stripped last week cleaned up primed etc and fit back on the car.

The last step before pain is to go up and help this weekend do the mods for the bumper back dating- I will post many more pictures this next week when I get to the shop.
I was able to source some bumpers, and right now I am chasing down some quotes for rechroming the bumpers.
Found out I have a 50amp alt which should be 55, might get a rebuilt one that's built to a 75, not sure yet. the costs of stuff and the "while you are there" is adding up. so much easier to do some of this while I have the motor out - like the push rod tube seals, alternator

Big thanks to Bruce Stone for a lot of powdercoated bits! all of the heater accessories like the j-tubes and s branch parts and the beautiful redone fan shroud.
Also the intake runners,

nfrigi - provided me with a late chrome front bumper and tops for front and rear, Thanks Noel

this weekend right here locally I found early door panels with MINT vinyl and pockets!! I will post some pictures. - very by accident one mile from my house there is some wharehouse area, and I see a beautiful aircooled 911 turbo pulled over by local PD, I think it someone I know so I go back around to see where it is and the cop leaves, it goes to a warehouse and there is a half dozen porsches inside getting various rehab- this car is sitting outside and has bee getting prepped for Ameila Island Concourse this week- there is a rare factory 924 race car inside, etc etc and a 1950's Citroen, a really nice mint 912E(1976), etc
he has some 914 stuff he says that he picked up in a batch of other 911 things, and these door panels were there- no warp no cuts not mold or mildew - This guy says he has owned more than 400 Porsche's - hundreds of 356's, a few 914-6's and now just mainly 911 stuff- AND I got an early 8/10 front chrome bumper with out the bumper guard holes and a mint bumper top on it!! it was my lucky(blessed) day!!!

More parts this week and next from Mark and 914 Rubber- just got in a whole new set of vacuum lines from them.

Things I want to do yet but $$ may have to wait-
- send in the throttle body for rebuild and cleaning service but - $350
- get brand new outer rocker panels from Restoration Design but- $$300
- new windshield maybe- I have mine and another no cracks but -est. is $450

I should have the car back in about a month and begin reassembly-
will post some pictures as the day goes on to update all the motor work clean up and parts sourced.

Phil
DRPHIL914
dirty motor
DRPHIL914
so dirty, lots of undercoating spray and 40 years of dirt oild and dust
DRPHIL914
so much nicer !
DRPHIL914
shroud back on

but the Alternator cover i got is wrong, told by mechanic here its foe a 912, so i have to find correct one - oh and need to get a 55 amp alt or a 75 if i can
DRPHIL914
assembling the new clean runners with zinc plates fuel rails
DRPHIL914
new motor mounts and brackets
DRPHIL914
i ulled the oil cooler to put in new seals ans also this seal for between the tin and the oil cooler
i am trying to do everyting i can while i am there- i dont want to have to pull this until i decide to do a bigger motor
DRPHIL914
thanks 914 rubber for another great part
DRPHIL914
bumpers!
DRPHIL914
feont bumper with top- i have 2 now ans will have to sell one
DRPHIL914
this one has the holes for bunper guards and has a few dings some fading- if i can get a food price dor repair and chrome i might get that done before i relist it for sale
DRPHIL914
new door panels! these are really like new its amazing
DRPHIL914
and an undamaged drivers pocket
DRPHIL914
so new door, was way better than the old ine with rust in channel, inside and thru- some po used a bunch of bondo to cover up - now new door primed and in the car- rear bumper and a front bumper with super nice top sourced last weekend locally,
trying to decide about using early bumper no guards etc or this later one that will need some work and has thr holes for thr tits, either paint it or rechrome it we will see- been trying to get some prices on chrome work and repair
Mblizzard
Amazing Progress!

will be the star of Okteenerfest next year. Cant wait ti see! Really like the bumpers. I will do the same when I paint mine.
DRPHIL914
i will be helping with the bumper back date this weekend, once trimming drilling and fitment are done he can do the last prep for paint- my goal is to have the car in my garage in april and back in the road by May!
rhodyguy
#66 is a great example of the brackets/mounts as part of a trans conversion and the correct routing for the factory oil temp wire. Nice picture.
rhodyguy
will this one work for you Phil? came off of a 1.7. that upper tang that gets torn is perfect.
mepstein
What color?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2018, 08:07 PM) *

What color?

what color is the car going to be?? original Copper Metallic L99k of course!
it had a respray of something 20 years ago in CA, looks like metallic but almost Sepia brown- Copper looks more orange almost like you took signal orange and added sowm metallic to it. pretty sure his plan is PPG they have a formula for it but he will shoot some sample ans we can match to the front trunk that didnt get repainted back then- talked with Bill Duenster who works for PPG about it and Mike has his number , which will help but Mike has painted for 30+years and restored many cars.
cant wait to see the correct color on it!

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 7 2018, 07:11 PM) *

will this one work for you Phil? came off of a 1.7. that upper tang that gets torn is perfect.

that should work if the interior opening fits a standard alternator ,
DRPHIL914
did the back date work on the car today- front was a perfect fit and really the rear was perfect but the bumper fit was not, it will have to be really cranked down , it doesnt have as much curve as the car .

Bigkensteel's thread was spot on for instructing how to do this.
beerchug.gif
front trimmed off
DRPHIL914
holes primmed ans side brackets taken off, ground down the weld spots and primed
DRPHIL914
boy these fenders look great! almost done- Mike did a great job this was all hammer and dolly work, no filler- just good metal work and had been primed and sanded, has some high build primer on there, one more pass then the under side gets prepped for texture and paint- thats next week, then the base and clear on the outside in 2 !
DRPHIL914
other side- - thats it until i get the tin back in motor- atill tryimg to decide if i ahould put a head temp sender on and install a gauge
pete000
That color is going look fantastic with the chrome bumpers ! Keep the pictures rolling.
DRPHIL914
got a bit more done with motor tin over the weekend, ready to do push rod tube seals and then get all the tin back on- but before I do that I might paint the transmission- have not decided on chrome shop for bumpers yet,
made short list of stuff I need and stuff I want getting ready for assembly
- new outer rockers, still need to get those ordred
- sent my throttle body for rehab ,
- trim bits, - more of a want than need- interior rear targa bar pad from 914rubber, side pieces, and all the aluminum trim parts for targa and window -
- will order SS fuel lines soon, , I pulled some pictures from an old thread fo the floor pan and jack point rust repair I will repost here soon, the work done by Tangerine was significant . Not the best pictures but good for documentation.

- every day I wake up thinking of things to source and do , its neverending!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 19 2018, 07:17 AM) *

got a bit more done with motor tin over the weekend, ready to do push rod tube seals and then get all the tin back on- but before I do that I might paint the transmission- have not decided on chrome shop for bumpers yet,
- trim bits, - more of a want than need- interior rear targa bar pad from 914rubber, side pieces, and all the aluminum trim parts for targa and window -
- will order SS fuel lines soon, , I pulled some pictures from an old thread fo the floor pan and jack point rust repair I will repost here soon, the work done by Tangerine was significant . Not the best pictures but good for documentation.

What the issue on your TB? I have one with new sensor board already installed.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 19 2018, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 19 2018, 07:17 AM) *

What the issue on your TB? I have one with new sensor board already installed.

nothing horrible, its 45 years old, a bit sticky on full return, and at first opening, I did clean it but the butterfly valve gets wear as does the shaft, I just decided that it would be nice to have one that was like or better than new to put back on car - I was getting a weird occasional buck that I could never nail down for sure. might have to do with the hotspark module, or TPS but the TPS has zero wear was an NOS one I picked up and installed. It doesn't do it on full hard acceleration , like it used to when I had a worn bad TPS circuit board. either way I guess its another think to try and eliminate- it will be interesting to see if that occurs with the 123ignition distributor vs the stock one- I wont know for probably 6 weeks.

oh, also trying to decide if I should repaint the gas tank while its out- wish I had a powder coater in the area close I would love to have that done.

Hold on to that t.b. you never know if you will want to use that , - what you need is a car that you can drive and one that is a project..

DRPHIL914
these 2 pictures you can see the bend or crease of the fender and paint blistering from the tire rubbing, this was before any repair began,
DRPHIL914
rusty long on passenger side
and drivers side
DRPHIL914
removal process began - drivers side half floor pan out, jack points removed long etc.
DRPHIL914
fender lip repair, then worked some by Ed to get more room for the 7" fuchs, primed,
DRPHIL914
a few more pictures of the long and jack points replacement - someday I will get Chris Foley to forward me better pictures if he has them, this is what I took with my phone camera off the computer screen.
DRPHIL914
will get more off the phone later, - back to work!
DRPHIL914
out with old and in with new, new zinc plates parts from BD Stone and some new kind of push rod tube seals from Original Customs!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 19 2018, 02:05 PM) *

out with old and in with new, new zinc plates parts from BD Stone and some new kind of push rod tube seals from Original Customs!

Bruce does great work!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 19 2018, 08:17 AM) *

Tell me about it, you should see my credit card bills!

unsure.gif

beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
i will bet this throttle body didnt look this good brand new!
just got it back from Phil in NM. so what do you think? I also have a bag of new vac hoses, new TB seal, intake runner seals etc.
i am just buying time waiting foe the body and paint to be done. not updates in that front at this time.
DRPHIL914
just talked to mike, touch up and repairs done welded geound etc, car had the last block and sand, final prep for paint complete this week, bottom was stripped and reprimed, ready for texture, paint will be shot next weekend!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.