Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
DRPHIL914
case vent routed to oil vapor catch can now, and new valve cover gaskets done to fix the leak i had after soing last valve clearance check at 1500 mile rebuild break in check .
and new heat shield pad from rix914parts,
DRPHIL914
getting close to ready for Werks!!
DRPHIL914
my hood repair and repaint was done by Sonderwerks in Cornelius NC
then had some nice cars in the shop while there including a 914/6 that was getting tuned , thet had been originally done by Patrick Motorsports but is now in NC.
DRPHIL914
when the motor was out i cleaned detailed ans stripped off the back pad adhesive, sanded, primed and started painting the firewall and the lower half with stone guard first.
also stripped and repainted the rear wheel wells, but never documented that here on my thread . i guess i just put it on instagram.

new e-brake cables too

new sway bar bushings and brackets
stripped declared and painted underside of the trunk it was a lot of “werk” cleaning out and stripping off the original undercoating user the trunk ans in wheel wells ans on the firewall/bull gear in rear what a mess, i wish i had done that back when i had all the other body work and rust repair done with floor pans ans longs, that stuff got cleaned off and repainted but i didn’t to the engine compartment then or the wheel wells. it’s done now!
DRPHIL914
the fan rebuild is in a different thread but all new seals with new motor ans fan assembly so now fully functional fan, all 3 speeds no popping fuses!!
cleaned and polished in and out! as close to fully restored fresh air box as it gets
Tincan365
Wow, your car looks great! I just read all 23 pages start to finish and got super motivated. I just picked up a single owner, 75k (with proof), 75' 2.0 with zero hell hole or longs rust. It's got a bit of surface rust from rodent dropping, from when it sat in a garage since 1981. I just pulled out the entire interior looking for rust, cleaning and reassembling. I also picked up a full 5 lug, brake and suspension swap so I can fit my 7" wide cookie cutters. Everything that gets touched gets upgraded if possible.
I forgot to mention, It's also metallic copper!
Also, I got it for free.......
beer.gif
Keep up the good work!
Josh
Root_Werks
Wow this turned out nice! Love the attention to detail, new small parts and such. Nicely done!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tincan365 @ Apr 8 2022, 12:00 AM) *

Wow, your car looks great! I just read all 23 pages start to finish and got super motivated. I just picked up a single owner, 75k (with proof), 75' 2.0 with zero hell hole or longs rust. It's got a bit of surface rust from rodent dropping, from when it sat in a garage since 1981. I just pulled out the entire interior looking for rust, cleaning and reassembling. I also picked up a full 5 lug, brake and suspension swap so I can fit my 7" wide cookie cutters. Everything that gets touched gets upgraded if possible.
I forgot to mention, It's also metallic copper!
Also, I got it for free.......
beer.gif
Keep up the good work!
Josh
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 9 2022, 07:01 PM) *

Wow this turned out nice! Love the attention to detail, new small parts and such. Nicely done!

@Tincan365
@Root_Werks

thanks guys! It seems like one is never done! We started out on this 12 years ago
and its been quite a journey. I should post some updated pictures since i recently had to pull the transmission to take care of a leaking output shaft seal and replace the clutch disc, and all the push rod tube seals. While that was getting done i again replaced the accelerator cable and the clutch cable, and wrapped them for extra protection . Nothing last for ever, its just a constant project. Next up is new front top and side seal. I put that seal in 8 or so years ago, time for a new one, then new soft brake lines, i have the new braded ones from PMB's recent group buy.
I will post some more pictures soon, most of them are on instragram at drphils914

Tincan post some pictures of that copper metallic!! not many were made, its good to hear another one survived and will be back on the road!! What color interior? mine was originally tan but was so bad from being out in the desert of CA that i just redid the whole thing and i liked the black and plaid so thats where i am now.

DRPHIL914
leaking trans seal made a mess , cleaned it all up and painted the trans while it was out,
cable separating and damaged from heat and age means all new cables and new wrap including reflective heat shield type wrap on the section where where the AF meter wire connector is close to exhaust header pipe, i had extra wire wrap so i put it on all the e-brake cables too, so extra protection from heat and road grime. after 2 drives no leaks at the trans or rms, or the push rod tube seals that were all replaced along with new rocker cover seals. hope now it can stay clean for a while!
of course the old disc got trans fluid on it so new disc with new rms ans pilot bearing too- that trans output shaft seal should have lasted more than a year , now i am wondering if i pu a new one in last year when i rebuilt the trans oh well.
also i added spacer to the transmission mount above the cup washer to drops it about 1/4” in rear so the muffler isn’t rubbing on the shield or the valance. now it’s perfect!
DRPHIL914
well now that we are back up and running (Thanks Sir Andy!!!!) thought i’d post on my recent showing at the HHI Concours, i may have done that on a different thread like “what did you do to your 914 today” but need to put it here too.

Order of Merit Award at the “Car Club Jamboree” 2 weeks back.

DRPHIL914
New custom leather shift boot, and the new tartan Scottish wool blanket from 914rubber , which is a awesome addition to coordinating with the interior and matching travel bags
billh1963
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 28 2022, 12:56 PM) *

well now that we are back up and running (Thanks Sir Andy!!!!) thought i’d post on my recent showing at the HHI Concours, i may have done that on a different thread like “what did you do to your 914 today” but need to put it here too.

You sure that you and Dennis Gage aren’t long lost brothers? biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 30 2022, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 28 2022, 12:56 PM) *

You sure that you and Dennis Gage aren’t long lost brothers? biggrin.gif

w00t.gif Ha! i dont think so, not sure where he's from. we've seen him on tv for a long time, nice guy, very approachable unlike some other personalities in that industry.
DRPHIL914
update to the thread as i try and keep some recent or current happenings to document the ongoing saga of 914 ownership!
since last november the Motor had to comeback out to again take care of a RMS leak, and having now driven it 500 miles since and been to Werks Reunion this month, so far so good so cheers to Ehrling RMS seals boo to VR,
Great trip met Magnus Walker etc
New additions to the car recently is a new to me OEM center console! the original one had been removed by a previous owner, and Roch from 914werke.com out west passes this on to me and it’s now in my car so the aftermarket repro one is gone!
also coming this week are new A-pillar trims from 914rubber and aalso new lower outer rocker panels in aluminum, from a 914 member here, so more pictures to come, but while motor was out it got new fuel lines, injectors, ans RMS with new purse rod tube seal and the motor got detailed and cleaned currently reads 11,200 miles so that is since the repaint ans body work almost 4 years ago, and 2500 since new motor build 2 years ago.
DRPHIL914
more pics …
DRPHIL914
also had to install new fuel pump, old ones was probably 14 years old and the check valve in it was failing.
new pump, all cleaned up.
new clutch pully bracket from tangerine racing too

and new starter
DRPHIL914
i also shortened the tailpipes about 1.5”, they stuck out further than i thought looked good.
looks good with a couple new pieces of freshly painted tin,
new fuel lines had to happen , might as well

forgot to mention as well new intake runners and hoses and seals the other intake runners were not stock color , i had several sets ans recently got these from Bruce Stone,
with new accelerator ans clutch cables as well as e-brake cables, things are pretty fresh. the left rear caliper had a seal leak so that was also replaced a few months ago so new beaded brake lines when on with the new caliper that PMB replaced free of charge under warranty!!! the lines were new 10 years ago so i figured might as well do them while i had it out and had to flush the system anyway
DRPHIL914
the new clutch cable adaptor from Tangerine Racing is nice , now it’s not lower than the rear of the motor.

i do like my cover king car cover..
DRPHIL914
no picture of it but just making mention of it is a brand new restored rear relay board and cover, the board was redone by 914sixer and the covers are back in stock with Mark at 914rubber, they got those done for the late cars a month back or so. The relay board failed on me a year and ahalf ago and stranded me half way to Okteenerfest in 2021! only one i ever missed!.
- also new shift knob and new leather shift boot- i really should make anew list for 2022-2023 , but thats why i post it here to help remind myselft whats been done and when.
Cairo94507
Dr Phil - Very nice work. Your car looks terrific. I really like the new tailpipe length- looks great. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
Double DITTO from Virginia, Phil.

GN

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 20 2023, 08:45 AM) *

Dr Phil - Very nice work. Your car looks terrific. I really like the new tailpipe length- looks great. beerchug.gif

rick 918-S
One of the best colors. Very nice result. beerchug.gif I like the interior.
Dr Evil
Looking forward to seeing this one again at Okteenerfest. Last time for me was 2019 smile.gif One of the best appointed 914s out there.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 21 2023, 08:44 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing this one again at Okteenerfest. Last time for me was 2019 smile.gif One of the best appointed 914s out there.

it will be good to see you , man yea this car has come a long way since back then! and wow, it has been a while! ii think the car just came back from pain in 2019, and i had not done the whole interior etc yet. I still remember the transmission clinic we did at Scotty B's ! man that has to be about 8-9 years ago. So last year, or was it 2 now?, i had to pull the transmission due to the output shaft seal leak, and i went ahead and put the stock #4 and 5 gears back in, it just was too tall for the mountains but i could not have done that with out my rebuild DVD's!!!! btw after doing it a few times it really helped understand how the 914 transmission works, but no leaks and shifts like butter! just wanted to say thanks again and see you in September !
Jamie
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 21 2023, 05:02 AM) *

it will be good to see you , man yea this car has come a long way since back then! and wow, it has been a while! ii think the car just came back from pain in 2019, and i had not done the whole interior etc yet. I still remember the transmission clinic we did at Scotty B's ! man that has to be about 8-9 years ago. So last year, or was it 2 now?, i had to pull the transmission due to the output shaft seal leak, and i went ahead and put the stock #4 and 5 gears back in, it just was too tall for the mountains but i could not have done that with out my rebuild DVD's!!!! btw after doing it a few times it really helped understand how the 914 transmission works, but no leaks and shifts like butter! just wanted to say thanks again and see you in September !

And there's a photo of your car in the new PCA Panorama magazine, well done trip to represent our teeners! first.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 21 2023, 11:22 AM) *

And there's a photo of your car in the new PCA Panorama magazine, well done trip to represent our teeners! first.gif

thanks @Jamie
BTW there is also a nice video that Vu did at Werks featuring a few of the cars that caught his eye at Werks, the video can be found on youtube if you are a PCA member then you received an email with a link directly to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1W75XKzn6s

i hope this link works or should i say "werks" ? happy11.gif

anyway of the 5 minutes he spent about 15-20 seconds showing the inside and out of my car. Vu is a 914 owner as well.

Enjoy!
Jamie
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 22 2023, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 21 2023, 11:22 AM) *

thanks @Jamie
BTW there is also a nice video that Vu did at Werks featuring a few of the cars that caught his eye at Werks, the video can be found on youtube if you are a PCA member then you received an email with a link directly to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1W75XKzn6s

i hope this link works or should i say "werks" ? happy11.gif

anyway of the 5 minutes he spent about 15-20 seconds showing the inside and out of my car. Vu is a 914 owner as well.

Enjoy!

PCA Executives visited my Central KY Region several years ago, and Vu had just recently bought his 914, not running. I drove his wife for the tour in my 914, Vu wanted her to see that 914's were viable vehicles, and she did enjoy that 914s could actually be driven! lol-2.gif When I spoke with him last fall his teener was still not driveable after all these years?
DRPHIL914
@Jamie
yes Vu’s car is still incomplete

update: i am very happy to report my RMS is not leaking now, 2 months of driving following replacement. unfortunately somehow i didn’t get the left side rocker cover to seal well so it’s dripping on the heat exchanger on left side- SO i got new gaskets, ans will pull that this weekend and will use a gasket sealer i think maybe the cover might have distortion or warping not sure. that bottom edge has done that before, last time i had this issue too and it took a second try to get properly sealed. i am hoping that’s all it is and not a push rod tube again , i went thru a lot in february to pull so all new seals on those! other than that the motor is running great! problem is every time i want to get it out we have a major storm front come thru.
DRPHIL914
Oh sh!t moment last night! while installing my starter tray/ford solenoid i was cleaning up and checking stuff. never ever have i had a cv bold back out, i used new schnor washers, torqued to spec but here we are, a very close call! these will get driven on a day and then rechecked and then safety wired before Okteenerfest trip , that was a close call!!
DRPHIL914
Ford Solenoid install-

look at post 446, you see there is a new starter, that got pulled the solenoid failed, in fact 2 of them in 6 months, so the old reliable went back in, and is now in the car as picutured but, i also want to clean up the wire connections specifically the red ones at the + post, these are looking a bit worn and could be an issue with getting the voltage needed as well, but so far with old reliable no issues now, but just in case, adding this ford solenoid as well.
Karl R
Are you missing the gasket between the CV joint and the transmission hub? 914.332.237.01.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Karl R @ Aug 8 2023, 08:05 PM) *

Are you missing the gasket between the CV joint and the transmission hub? 914.332.237.01.

Karl,

Yes there is a gasket , its black not green so hard to see there, but there is a gasket. Got it torqued down , this must have worked loose on my last drive to C&C so caught it early , wasnt even that much grease slung too badly , not enought to want to repack them. I will get the bolts safety wired before driving again. That was lazy on my part on last install. It will be done,

Phil.
Shivers
@DRPHIL914

Click to view attachment

Bitchen! smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 9 2023, 10:26 AM) *

@Shivers

Thanks! that was a fun dayfor sure, BTW great picture! I like the rack but need to come up with a different way to mount it on the rear trunk the brackets are not the right angle and are made for a roof drip rail like on a 911, but for now i actually have thesuction cups from a bike rack bolted on, workse great but not classic looking.

Phil
Shivers
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 9 2023, 07:47 AM) *

@Shivers

Thanks! that was a fun dayfor sure, BTW great picture! I like the rack but need to come up with a different way to mount it on the rear trunk the brackets are not the right angle and are made for a roof drip rail like on a 911, but for now i actually have thesuction cups from a bike rack bolted on, workse great but not classic looking.

Phil

https://www.classicluggageracks.com/the-american.html

Maybe these guy’s could make you the mounts you want and drop them in their chrome run. I’ve been dreaming about their classic trunk rack.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 9 2023, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 9 2023, 07:47 AM) *

@Shivers

Phil

https://www.classicluggageracks.com/the-american.html

Maybe these guy’s could make you the mounts you want and drop them in their chrome run. I’ve been dreaming about their classic trunk rack.

nice find, that might be the way to go for you. If i had not already bought my Leitz rack that would be a way to go too. Originally i was going to see if i could mount the leitz rack to the ski rack but measurements are wrong and no way to really easily mount it. If i had a way to do some fabrication id make my own . I dont want to drill any holes in the trunk , but if the Leitz arms could be modified to grab onto the edgs of the trunk that would be perfect. for now if i want to use it i can use the suction cups.
DRPHIL914

well i finally got around to putting new Schnor washers in the CV bolts and safety wiring them, but you were right, Karl, no gasket!! so now there is a proper gasket !

i will miles sure to check these after few drives but i think we’ll be ok now for trip to Townsend, TN next month!!

Phil
76-914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 25 2023, 07:19 PM) *

well i finally got around to putting new Schnor washers in the CV bolts and safety wiring them, but you were right, Karl, no gasket!! so now there is a proper gasket !

i will miles sure to check these after few drives but i think we’ll be ok now for trip to Townsend, TN next month!!

Phil

Hey Phil, that looks great and I'm not busting your chops but the next time you safety wire those bolts do it in a fashion that the wire limits the bolts travel so that it can only turn clockwise. About 35 years ago an old WW2 A&P chewed my ass out for that. Not as critical in automotive applications but.....You can also reuse those Schoor washers since the bolts are safety wired. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 26 2023, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 25 2023, 07:19 PM) *

Phil

Hey Phil, that looks great and I'm not busting your chops but the next time you safety wire those bolts do it in a fashion that the wire limits the bolts travel so that it can only turn clockwise. About 35 years ago an old WW2 A&P chewed my ass out for that. Not as critical in automotive applications but.....You can also reuse those Schoor washers since the bolts are safety wired. beerchug.gif

you are right, i did the other one correctly but that one should have gone into the bolt on the other side so that if the lower one did loosen as it spins counter clockwise it would tighten, this would keep it from coming out completely but it could do a half turn. i realized that after it was done lol. but the other one on that side and the side are correct.
Good eye and i can always appreciate some constructive criticism!!!
So now the next thing i do has to be putting new engine lid brackets on. my original ones are cracked and the right one is really flexing bad!!! i have to find a welder that won’t charge me an arm and a leg!
DRPHIL914
Tail of the dragon Okteenerfest 2023-
new fuse board,
-awards!
DRPHIL914
wrenching never stops
DRPHIL914
deck lid repair with all new seals, repainted , new stops , repainted mesh, new welting and edging, here it is scratched up pretty good, took the letters off and replaced the welting , the rubber stops, etc,
DRPHIL914
lid lined up and back in place,, still have to replace the hinge mounts on the firewall, will do this later.
also new cable, zinc plated latch, new pull button and escutcheon from 914rubber.
DRPHIL914
all cleaned up with new rear trunk seal! was ready to go to show.
DRPHIL914
after installing the ford starter solenoid, new seals on the inner CV with safety wires CV bolts!

new door stay and hinge parts!
Shivers
BLING!!!

So sick, nice work
DRPHIL914
the new J-west Fuse board was a must i had a short in the old one- melting parts lol, the extra relays seen , one is for thr 911 windshield washer pump, and the Hella driving lights.

inside of the old Egman board, the last 3 are connected together, it was shorting out, had some melted plastic in there, and i was loosing for lights ans dash lights as it would short out while driving!!! , well since new board was installed that is no more!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 4 2023, 10:02 AM) *

BLING!!!

So sick, nice work

@Shivers

the new door hinge parts came from member @yeahmag !!

i have the other parts with new rollers from 914rubber.

lots of stuff i did when i first got the car i am now finding after 10 years need to be done again, like some of the seals. Some parts were not available 10 or even 4 years ago following repaint, or i couldn't afford all of it and it wasn't necessary. , but as stuff comes up or becomes available ill get it done. i cant stand having crap done part ways!

its great that we have so many members that are supplying parts and service for our cars. so many classics dont have those resources! .

Phil
Gatornapper
Dr Phil -

Maybe a stupid question: as the 914 is far from an aircraft, are the safety wires really needed?

Not a bit of overkill?

Nice touch for sure on a Concours level car like yours for sure.....

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 4 2023, 07:43 AM) *

after installing the ford starter solenoid, new seals on the inner CV with safety wires CV bolts!

Shivers
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 6 2023, 06:38 AM) *

Dr Phil -

Maybe a stupid question: as the 914 is far from an aircraft, are the safety wires really needed?

Not a bit of overkill?

Nice touch for sure on a Concours level car like yours for sure.....

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 4 2023, 07:43 AM) *

I’ve had them come loose, not dropping on to the driveway loose but still loose.
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...come-loose.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.