Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
JRust
Looking good man. Nothing like a freshly dressed motor drooley.gif
Johny Blackstain
Her "posterior" is gorgeous! Love the dual exhaust & retro bumper wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif
DRPHIL914
3 day weekend , and about 30 hours working on the car!
some update since yesterday-
1. installed the seals on the passenger door- yea thats right! window installed, all the fuzzies etc.
2. gas tank installed! fuel lines finished,
3. ECU and fi put back in,
4. sail panel vinyl installed- 2 panels perfect,
one, not so much- will explain later-

i have the vacuum lines to install yet, and the battery - need to trouble shoot a few connections that i dont remember but the clutch, acelerator cable and the shift linkage are all back in.
DRPHIL914
getting there
DRPHIL914
new seals for the tank
DRPHIL914
new felt on trunk wall
DRPHIL914
was some overspray on the old felt- also have a nice cocomat for front trunk
DRPHIL914
sailing away...
DRPHIL914
ready for trim-
DRPHIL914
so, here is the story on the vinyl -
will probably have to re do the right side- I was a bit short on the cut and knew it might not fit, sure was tight , i think it would have been ok but no room for errors, well i had to pull it off and my mistake was trying to put it back on, cleaned up the panel, reglued it but it is now not smooth, a bit bumpy and that is not satisfactory so i have to reorder righr side sail vinyl- Calling Mark , hello 914rubber, i have a special request!
DRPHIL914
so these wires come off of the same harness that goes to the coil, one is white , other is green/red- where do they go?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 3 2018, 10:55 PM) *

so these wires come off of the same harness that goes to the coil, one is white , other is green/red- where do they go?

- oil pressure switch and the aar, right?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 3 2018, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 3 2018, 10:55 PM) *

- oil pressure switch and the aar, right?

Yes
DRPHIL914
short list of things to do
to be able to start car-

-get oil cooler mounted back up in position
- vac lines hooked up
-battery
-gas into tank
-
i have an empty spot in the dash- i need a radio
DRPHIL914
found this diagram for the FI wiring with colors a labels , very helpful.
getting close, ready to add the vac lines!
DRPHIL914
new CV boots, NOS from 914sixer, so now the 6 hole flange is gone, no more slinging grease all over! safety wire in place, also new retainer band on the shift linkage cover,
DRPHIL914
all the proper he parts for backdated sshe.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2018, 08:03 AM) *

new CV boots, NOS from 914sixer, so now the 6 hole flange is gone, no more slinging grease all over! safety wire in place, also new retainer band on the shift linkage cover,

What is with that dirty case in a car like that?

Cant even imagine how tough it is to keep moving forward on things to try and make Okteenerfest!
DRPHIL914
all the proper he parts for backdated sshe.
DRPHIL914
i was a bit tired, 3 days and more than 30 hours of work reassembling doors, seals, windows, targa stuff, tank, blower, motor and transmission, FI, and wiring in motor, shift linkage and clutch and accelerator cables, etc i was a bit tired by monday night! I was in need of an”cat nap” CAT and i took a break- my daughters’ 6 month old kitten decided to reast with me. more to post tonight,
i might even try and put some fuel in the system and fire it up tonight.

my sound pad for firewall is on the way from 914rubber.com along with a new rear targa pad/bolster, also a few things including the side trim piece for inner sail panel from kevin powers(rhodguy), and my new genuine Porsche sail panel trim feom Sunset Porsche Parts in Oregon! all headed this way and due in any day!

punch list gets smaller
- rocker panel installation
- threshholds
- finish turn signal bucket euro conversion,
- new front chrome bumper install,

inside installation of back pad and seats and trim and door cards,

IF i get car ready and running, my short list of stuff to do if there is time:

install the 123ignition distributor
wire the CHT gauge
install the TimothyND LED gauge cluster!

we will see—-
jesse7flying
Great shot! My 18 year old cat used to do the same thing. She passed away last year. Still miss her.
DRPHIL914
18 years, thats a long life! My dachshund is 16 now, this kitten has become his buddy, she follows him around, they play, and we find her crashed out sleeping next to him in his bed. I think she keeps him from being lonely when we are all gone during the day.
DRPHIL914
tonight my rear targa bar came from 914rubber! so now my back pad is in too, ans the center console and seats!!

ready for the last trim pieces! sorry no pictures.... ...... ..... you have to come to Okteenerfest !
DRPHIL914
before installation
DRPHIL914
This rear targa bolster is the repro one being carried by 914rubber but i think has been made by AA - anyway the fit and finish is super and this will last a lifetime and not peel crack etc like the original ones. Yes, they can probably improve the grain to be more accurate for the concourse weenies but this is great for me and it really looks super, now for finishing off the rest of the trim around the targa bar/ sail panels. i have a few parts due in the next few days that i am excited about getting on the car to finish it up.

it looks like i am not going to get a radio in the dash for this trip so i would like to just put up a blank plate with the brick weave on it. -- Does anyone have such a thing i could acquire ASAP/?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 6 2018, 04:50 AM) *

This rear targa bolster is the repro one being carried by 914rubber but i think has been made by AA - anyway the fit and finish is super and this will last a lifetime and not peel crack etc like the original ones. Yes, they can probably improve the grain to be more accurate for the concourse weenies but this is great for me and it really looks super, now for finishing off the rest of the trim around the targa bar/ sail panels. i have a few parts due in the next few days that i am excited about getting on the car to finish it up.

it looks like i am not going to get a radio in the dash for this trip so i would like to just put up a blank plate with the brick weave on it. -- Does anyone have such a thing i could acquire ASAP/?

I think I have some extra black brick weave. could just do a quick double side tape and stick the weave to the back side of the hole.

I can check tonight.

If needed I can send or bring it with me.
DRPHIL914
could bring it that would be fine - i want to pick your brain about the 123distributor installation and setting, once i start car and have it running with current set up , i would like to put the 123 into it, but not yet as i don't want 10 variable issues when starting the car for the first time after a year, having replaced a few other items., I want to know about the preset curves and not running vac etc.

Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 6 2018, 11:10 AM) *

I think I have some extra black brick weave. could just do a quick double side tape and stick the weave to the back side of the hole.

I can check tonight.

Mblizzard
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 6 2018, 07:47 AM) *

could bring it that would be fine - i want to pick your brain about the 123distributor installation and setting, once i start car and have it running with current set up , i would like to put the 123 into it, but not yet as i don't want 10 variable issues when starting the car for the first time after a year, having replaced a few other items., I want to know about the preset curves and not running vac etc.

Phil

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 6 2018, 11:10 AM) *

I can check tonight.

I will PM you my number.

but the reality is that all you need to do is select the curve and time it just like the ordinal. If you got the programable advance one it is a bit more complex but not too hard.
DRPHIL914
My back pad is on its way, and i am close to being able to finish up the sail panels, interior is all back in the car! Grounds all wired, i still have to relocate my Oil cooler and then i can gas it up and see if she starts up!

edit - looks like the firewall sound/insulation pad I ordered Monday from 914rubber may not make it in time to be installed before leaving for the trip. Oh well! I can go with out that- but the sail panel trim is not something I can go with out. I can put my old rear trim on but I hope that AA can send this out today, they are carrying the aftermarket URO one and if they can ship it today I can get it by Wednesday.
I will put back on the old one if it doesn't. So it looks like the last few items to procure at the last minute is a radio from Mark Herd and the rear badging!! - SO who has the rear 914 and 2.0 badging for a '75??
DRPHIL914
any assembly instructions for the rear sail panel trim? what is the order of assembly?
also having issues with the adhesive we used for this the edges are coming up along back side of the targa bar. could it be the heat and humidity? thinking about hitting the edges that pulled up with contact cement and see if that will hold it down. both the permatex heavy duty and the 3M99 not holding well.

- it looks like the bottom edge trim, followed by the vertical trim and seal at front of the sail, and then the rear back targa bar trim followed last by the curved rear sail panel trim.
I hope that is right. We will try and get this done tomorrow along with getting the rest of the vacuum hose on and the oil cooler moved and remounted, then I should be able to put the oil and gas in and we will try and see if it will fire up.

Lots of new stuff on there, new alternator and belt, new front crank seals and oil cooler and seals, all new fuel lines and vac lines. about the only thing I didn't put on new is the starter is the same and the transmission was not removed, as it was rebuilt and resealed a few years ago at the Dr. Evil clinic in VA.

What I need- rear 914 and 2.0 lettering badge, rear trunk insulation pad(can wait if necessary)

short list of this weekends work in order of importance:
1. move oil cooler
2. put in vac lines , gas , oil,
3. start car and test car, tune.
IF all that goes well, then I can go to:
4. put on rocker panesl
5. finish sail panel trim
6. finish conversion of front euro light conversion
7. pull old ugly bumper and put on new chromed early front bumper
then ...
Shadowfax
You are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Good job, Phil.

From what I remember, your order for the sail panel trim sounds correct. Try aasesales.com for your badges. I know they have several used sets. Aase sales emblems
DRPHIL914
sail trim, vertical window seal, top trim and bottom in place on driver side
DRPHIL914
inners in with seat belts retractors , seats ,
DRPHIL914
one side euro conversion done
mepstein
A lot of progress. Congrats!
rhodyguy
WOW! Seats look super. Your car has turned out very nice.
DRPHIL914
thanks Kevin, thank you for the help and assistance parts wise too!

i just finished putting the early new rechromed bumper on, i will take better pictures in light tomorrow , new 914rubber topper on it as well.
raynekat
Everything is looking very nice.....er I mean great!
Well done.
You'll get there before you know it.

Lighter center piece going out in the mail in the morning.
billh1963
Is this some new record for assembly?
Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif Looking terrific. beerchug.gif
bbrock
SO fun to watch. Fantastic work! I can't imagine how tired you must be, and yet charging strong through the last mile. smilie_pokal.gif
DRPHIL914
what feels like a slow and frustrating day, i did finally get the oil lines moved after much work- lines are no longer kinked and now i can get back to business.
next up- put battery in, put gas in- i already topped off the oil,

I am wondering if there is a special proceedure to prime the pump snd get the oil pressure up before firing up the motor, i vaugly remember something about that.

- rear license plate lights, finish targa trim once the stuff comes( not hear yet, was supposed to be today) and prep for potential storm
914_7T3
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 6 2018, 05:50 AM) *

Don't you mean "Concours Weenie?" FWIW, I prefer the term "Originalist!"

lol-2.gif

Seriously, your progress is inspiring and the results, Amazing!

smilie_pokal.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Sep 8 2018, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 6 2018, 05:50 AM) *

Don't you mean "Concours Weenie?" FWIW, I prefer the term "Originalist!"

lol-2.gif

Seriously, your progress is inspiring and the results, Amazing!

smilie_pokal.gif

yep that too lol!
well motivation has been not to miss the Okteenrfest! but i have to say i was going to give ip today, really close due to the oil line issue, but i am so close. i may have to install some stuff whenni get there , that is if the rain stays away.
When you put in your sail panel trim, what adhesive did you use?
DRPHIL914
really close to a start. all vac lines except the decel valve.
DRPHIL914
one door complete,
DRPHIL914
left rocker on!
boy those tires are still tight in the rear
DRPHIL914
finally got the battery in and it was dead, even after 2 days in charger no charge-
i head over get new one- this was less than 2 years and sat for 9 months, get new battery in and yes the starter cranks, but no fuel pump sound,
crap, that is one thing i didnt replace. it was fine a year ago, it was probably only 5 years old. , but now its time for testing circuits. i cleaned all grounds and tripple checked connections. dang.
IronHillRestorations
To prime the oil system, I pull the lead off the coil and crank the engine (in 15 sec run to 1 min rest) until the oil light goes out.
TravisNeff
check the fuel pump relay and the board itself before thinking the fuel pump is dead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.