Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 6 2023, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Oct 6 2023, 06:38 AM) *

Dr Phil -

Maybe a stupid question: as the 914 is far from an aircraft, are the safety wires really needed?

Not a bit of overkill?

Nice touch for sure on a Concours level car like yours for sure.....

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 4 2023, 07:43 AM) *

after installing the ford starter solenoid, new seals on the inner CV with safety wires CV bolts!

new door stay and hinge parts!

I’ve had them come loose, not dropping on to the driveway loose but still loose.
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...come-loose.html

In my younger days I had them come loose to the point of releasing the CV joint. It cracked the transmission case.

That being said, safety wire is not necessary if the bolts are installed with new schnorr washers and properly torqued to the correct torque spec.

But safety wire is a good piece of mine for many people.

DRPHIL914
Spent the weekend in Chattanooga TN at the motoring festival and Luftgekuhlt outing friday. my 914 sure gathered a lot of attention,
and represented well, it was the only one in the PCA club area during car club showcase and also in the featured Luftgekuhlt lot! at one point i looked over and Wayne Carrini(chasing classic cars)was taking pictures of it!!! asked if it was mine and we visited for a bit, the pulled out his phone to show
me some of his cars and
a very special Ferrari Daytona Spyder he had just taken in that was in the very same Copper metallic, the only one in existence! pretty cool,

- i do have to say guys get your cars out there!!! i should not have been the only one here !
BENBRO02
Sorry I missed you, I checked out all the cars on Saturday and you may have already left. I was cool to see a 904, 906, 908, and 962 side by side to compare.
r_towle
I have noticed that for many shows now it’s become an 80/20 or even 90/10 rule of water cooled versus aircooled
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 15 2023, 03:28 PM) *

I have noticed that for many shows now it’s become an 80/20 or even 90/10 rule of water cooled versus aircooled

@r_towle
I found an exception to that at the "Vacationland Volkswagen Association" car show at the Acton Fairground, ME. (August 5-6). The car count was down 40-50% this year, but was still around 100 cars. I would say that 2/3 of the cars were air cooled, and the water-cooled count was only that high because of a decent number of cool Westphalia Vanagons that were there.
They have a class for 914s (air-cooled other), but none were there.

You can find them on facebook.

scott_in_nh
Phil I recognized your car in Wayne Corini's post on Instagram - Congrats!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Oct 16 2023, 09:46 AM) *

@scott_in_nh
i will have to take a look i talked with Wayne for about 10 minutes he stopped by during the Luft event while we were in the featured parking area of air cooled cars, we had about 100 aircooled porsche's there and he was taking pictures of my car, he showed me a picture he had of a Ferrari Daytona Spyder that he has in the shop right now that is Copper metallic, almost identical, he says it is the only one ordered in that color!!

rick 918-S
drooley.gif Car looks Great!
DRPHIL914
#1- over by the railroad station cool mural i couldn’t pass up a photo opportunity
Coker Museum and Honost Charlie’s Speed Shop
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 16 2023, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Oct 16 2023, 09:46 AM) *

@scott_in_nh
i will have to take a look i talked with Wayne for about 10 minutes he stopped by during the Luft event while we were in the featured parking area of air cooled cars, we had about 100 aircooled porsche's there and he was taking pictures of my car, he showed me a picture he had of a Ferrari Daytona Spyder that he has in the shop right now that is Copper metallic, almost identical, he says it is the only one ordered in that color!!

shades.gif

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 16 2023, 10:22 AM) *

thanks!!

I had an interesting issue come up while driving up , i had to stop and tighten my clutch cable(new 6 months ago, had been tightened 2x already) and now its perfect but there are only 2 threads left almost out of length to be able to tighten if it needs it again. my previous clutch cable lasted 10 years and i didnt have to tighten it every 6 months!!! WFT is the cable cheap and stretching?? SOMEONE( 914rubber??) needs to start making these and out of a better cable material!! that doesnt stretch out. luckily i got off the interstate at an exit that had an autozone and i could get at it in a safe location.

Phil
krazykonrad
Really cool! piratenanner.gif I really missed out by not going.
Shivers
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 18 2023, 06:24 AM) *

thanks!!

I had an interesting issue come up while driving up , i had to stop and tighten my clutch cable(new 6 months ago, had been tightened 2x already) and now its perfect but there are only 2 threads left almost out of length to be able to tighten if it needs it again. my previous clutch cable lasted 10 years and i didnt have to tighten it every 6 months!!! WFT is the cable cheap and stretching?? SOMEONE( 914rubber??) needs to start making these and out of a better cable material!! that doesnt stretch out. luckily i got off the interstate at an exit that had an autozone and i could get at it in a safe location.

Phil

I remember suffering through a cable like that. Once the cable was stretched out I added a stack of washers under the nut. That gave me more threads for adjustment. I hunted down a good cable after that.
worn
I want a video showing the car in the drive through of an A&W. I know it is copper colored, but the two colors go well together. Get ice cream to make it a float, and maybe get it inside: that car is way too pretty to spill in. Great 914.
Camaro Mike
I went through the parking lot Friday night before the concert. The car looks great.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 20 2023, 07:48 PM) *

I want a video showing the car in the drive through of an A&W. I know it is copper colored, but the two colors go well together. Get ice cream to make it a float, and maybe get it inside: that car is way too pretty to spill in. Great 914.

ha! good idea but no A&W’s around here, we have sonic but that’s the wrong color!

along those lines i have a story from 52 years ago- i was 5, mom had a ‘65 Ford T-bird , electric windows etc, went to the A&W in town with grandmother ,
we get our order which is on the tray hung on the window like they did , grandma somehow hits the down button, and that was the a huge mess!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Camaro Mike @ Oct 20 2023, 09:26 PM) *

I went through the parking lot Friday night before the concert. The car looks great.

thanks! sorry we missed you! we were probably over eating at the taco shop!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 20 2023, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 18 2023, 06:24 AM) *

thanks!!

Phil

I remember suffering through a cable like that. Once the cable was stretched out I added a stack of washers under the nut. That gave me more threads for adjustment. I hunted down a good cable after that.

good idea thanks for the tip! i have an extra new ca le in the trunk but it’s the same brand. someone needs to make new better cables! this is only 6 months old ans maybe 2500 miles of driving!
euro911
@DRPHIL914

Love the Luftgekuhlt' script.

Where did you acquire it? ... Maddogs Motorsport?

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/shop/ols/pro...emblem-aluminum

popcorn[1].gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2023, 04:29 PM) *

@DRPHIL914

popcorn[1].gif

Mark,
i got mine from a guy on Pelican that also had advertised here on world, abouta year ago, they were made in europe i believe, it is solid brass so it will add some weight lol-2.gif
Might check and see if he still has any listed for sale over on Pelican.

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 23 2023, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2023, 04:29 PM) *

@DRPHIL914

popcorn[1].gif

Mark,
i got mine from a guy on Pelican that also had advertised here on world, abouta year ago, they were made in europe i believe, it is solid brass so it will add some weight lol-2.gif
Might check and see if he still has any listed for sale over on Pelican.

Phil

@euro911

i just saw that the guy on pelican sold them for $88, -- link here-https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/1033259-luftgekuhlt-emblem.html

but PMB has them as well - $50 look to be same thing as the brass ones from pelican seller
euro911
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 23 2023, 04:44 AM) *
i just saw that the guy on pelican sold them for $88, -- link here-https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/1033259-luftgekuhlt-emblem.html

but PMB has them as well - $50 look to be same thing as the brass ones from pelican seller

Cool - thanks, Doc. Just ordered one from PMB beerchug.gif

Gonna go on my 912 though wink.gif

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 24 2023, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 23 2023, 04:44 AM) *

Cool - thanks, Doc. Just ordered one from PMB beerchug.gif

Gonna go on my 912 though wink.gif

Click to view attachment

@euro911
nice looking 912!!
euro911
Thanks, Doc. Found this little gem to stick on the grille next to the' Luftgekuhlt' script

Click to view attachment

... laugh.gif ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.