Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Phil’s copper 914 restoration thread- paint and body work on deck- getting fenders fixed and car repainted! New thread to document process
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Gatornapper
How cool is that?!?!

[quote name='mepstein' date='Aug 25 2019, 06:57 AM' post='2741438']
I went to one C & C in my stock 1.7. It got as much interest as any of the supercars there. People kept on coming up to me to tell me about there dad's 914 or one they had in college. A girl walked by and said "I like your car". Both me and the Ferrari owner parked next to me turned around and she was pointing to my car.

DRPHIL914
Back pad repaired and recovered! Now ready to put it in
DRPHIL914
confused24.gif wow has it been that long since I posted on my own thread? I guess it's mostly been in the "what have you done" thread,

The back pad install was a year ago . Lots of little things since then!
I will have to post some pics of the new steering wheel and other stuff to consolidate but I have more stuff coming and might be in trouble--- kind of like this guy....
jim_hoyland
Nice backed; interior light delete?
DRPHIL914
steering wheel update, newly wrapped by rix914parts thanks rick!
and updated the wiper switch for putting on electric pump i got from @914sixer and the switch is from carmagic.com
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 10 2020, 10:34 AM) *

Nice backed; interior light delete?

back light was deleted for a while but i got a new one and now have it installed with new door switches too.
DRPHIL914
got some junk in the trunk—- had a wheelie good time with this project.

extra gas tank, stole this idea from a nice GT build at Werks reunion 2 years ago—-.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 10 2020, 09:11 AM) *

IPB Image

I showed this to Betty. She laughed at it, then reminded me that she would say "You forgot to order the (fill in the blank) for my car."

DRPHIL914
an after pic for Clay-
DRPHIL914
the new targa trim and sail vinyl
DRPHIL914
targa trim etc
DRPHIL914
rust!!
DRPHIL914
icon_bump.gif

bump on the build thread to put some updated documentation of recent work.
i made a list of all the stuff ive done int he past year and of course filled up a whole page and then realized i had left out a few items like the re do of the targa bar and sail panel vinyl and trim and targa bar.
recently new exhaust from Ben. Ihave posted stuff in the "what have you done to your 914 today" thread but that gets burried in a sea of other posts. Most of my progress and work is on instagram, its fast and easy on that format to post pictures and progress.

- new Ben McFarland Sport GT muffler,
- new washer fluid pump to complete the carmagic switch and new lever from Mark Heard,
- new LED lighting under dash
- fixed lots of wiring issues, got that new fresh air fan installed after rebuild - it works!!!!
- pulled trans, re-did 4&5th gears, etc etc with new brass console bushing from 914Werks
- many more things-
DRPHIL914
a list of deed done in past year
DRPHIL914
the new muffler
Ben McFarlands handiwork 914-Werkshop
DRPHIL914
KilMat sound insulation on floors behind the cross support
DRPHIL914
new Titanium lug nuts
DRPHIL914
a reminder of what was....
DRPHIL914
wiring the relay for the 911 electric washer pump...
washer bottle installed .Switch works,
BillJ
great progress and sweet car.
DRPHIL914
transmission pulled and rebuilt and new fluid with new seals repacked the CV, new throw out bearing, etc - it’s pretty clean

back to stock ;&5 gears but reused the good dog teeth and syncro bands,
watched Doc Evil video and had factory instructions, did this once before, 8 years ago —
bren it’s been on the road and shifting is now smooth , no noise front the bearing clutch adjustment feels right on.

How many of you have ventured into the trans rebuild solo, it’s quite and experience,, not hard but not for the faint of heart..
DRPHIL914
Let there be light- nice to see where you are putting your feet getting in the car at night when opening the door!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 10 2021, 10:46 AM) *

How many of you have ventured into the trans rebuild solo, it’s quite and experience,, not hard but not for the faint of heart..

In the spirit of good fun, I see you have all the recommended tools.

Adjustable wrench -- Check
Ax or hatchet -- Check
P225 tool - Check.

laugh.gif

Get Er' Done.

Good job. Car looks great. Like the LED lighting idea too!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 10 2021, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 10 2021, 10:46 AM) *

In the spirit of good fun, I see you have all the recommended tools.

Adjustable wrench -- Check
Ax or hatchet -- Check
P225 tool - Check.

laugh.gif

Get Er' Done.

Good job. Car looks great. Like the LED lighting idea too!

yea, i couldnt find my rubber mallet at the moment, so that worked, like you said, get 're done!
I was able to borrow the other special tools from Al Meredith, and used the video but sometimes thats a pain and is easier use the factory digram and specs out of the workshop manual. But once i had it ready to go Bob , who has rebuilt and taken apart and put back together 1000's of 901 and 915 porsche transmissions, rechecked my shift fork alignment etc, made one tweek and then i put it all back together. at this point the only improvement might be to get the Tangerine racing rear shift console bearing upgrade. might have to do that some time soon if i decide to do more AX.

DRPHIL914
Ski rack arrived yesterday from Germany, thanks to Haul, who located, procured, prepared, packaged, shipped out.
once unpackaged i sorted thru the mounting hardware, cleaned up the tabs for front clamp, had to clean out the rear mount threads that had some rust and paint, hard to clean those threads, took about 2 hours to get that done to get the mount screws in. The rack came supplied with new rear mount pads, some new bolts and screws, and some nice straps too.
DRPHIL914
all mounted up, i believe this is how it works, the front clamps down once the bottom bracket is slid into the factory designed slot in to frame. now this pushes the seal out a bit, and i am not sure how well the top will mount with this in place, the front claps will probably have to be loosens to not pull the top too tight against the bracket, will have to see. seems that will potentially prevent the targa top from sealing tight. hm......
Superhawk996
Cool! smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I was going to ask why a guy in Florida would need a ski rack, but the last picture answered my question.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2021, 08:08 AM) *

I was going to ask why a guy in Florida would need a ski rack, but the last picture answered my question.

@ClayPerrine

Clay as you know we are only a few hours away from the mountains as well, , ala Banner Elk NC, which is a skiing area. but it was really more for having a cool rare accessory, it shows how cool and how much thought went into the design and building of the Porsche 914, thus the advertisements etc, it was aimed at the younger active buyer. Pretty cool.

Phil
Shivers
Very cool
DRPHIL914
UPDATE: i have to add a bunch has happened in past couple months-
went to Jax for the Classics Grans opening at Porsche Jax ans got a ribbon at their show,
then lost compression on #3 intake exhaust, ended up being dropped valve seat. trailered
the car to Amelia for Werks Reunion 2021, got 1st place! took it home ans pulled the motor ans heads- just now got the whole assembled long block ready for clutch and transmission install last night , hope to have the motor back in monday for break in!!

will post some picture from the shows ans werks and current reinstall of the motor.
DRPHIL914
couple more, new valance for the new twin center out exhaust from Ben.
DRPHIL914
fan and fan housing , alternator are installed on the new long block-
btw long block is 96’s, brand new heads with port and polish, KB pistons hastings rings,
new counterbalanced crank and new cam all new bearings etc, sterlite valves, so in other words completely new long block assembly . i believe with this 2056 build how it’s set up on stock 71mm stroke, ans the CC should be about 8.6 compression.
DRPHIL914
some pictures of the new clutch rigid clutch disc ans polished flywheel, new pressure plate etc. - ans a pic of the new cam before installed
mb911
Phil what is a the benefit of a rigid clutch? I honestly don't think I ever have seen one before.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 4 2021, 11:00 AM) *

Phil what is a the benefit of a rigid clutch? I honestly don't think I ever have seen one before.

+ 1 ? ..... never saw one either
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 4 2021, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 4 2021, 11:00 AM) *

+ 1 ? ..... never saw one either

supposed to be a bit tighter, less chance of failure with no springs but might not dampen vibration, so i’ve read. i’ll tell you how i like it , should be in the car running this week.

HE and muffler are installed, the units ready to go in the car.
sholman5
When are you leaving to Pigeon Force? I'm driving mine up from Daytona on the 22nd splitting the trip into 2 days with a stop over about half way. Might stay in Agusta. Some highway some back roads.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Sep 11 2021, 10:00 PM) *

When are you leaving to Pigeon Force? I'm driving mine up from Daytona on the 22nd splitting the trip into 2 days with a stop over about half way. Might stay in Agusta. Some highway some back roads.

probably leaving Thursday morning, but maybe wednesday evening,
not sure yet. I usually go up to Columbia Sc,
to Greenville, then up toward Ashville but cut thru near Waysville or Lake Junaluska i think it’s hwy411. been busy trying to get the motor in so i have not set down to plan out a route. there are some great back roads to take so keep in touch maybe we’ll meet up somewhere .
DRPHIL914
motor is in! hope to have enough time to install the engine harness and FI tomorrow.
list is getting shorter- finish the heater tubes ans air deflectors, then shift rod, CV’s to the trans, wiring harness ans rear fuse/ relay board, injectors and fuel lines, then start !
Krieger
Looking good!
adolimpio
Looking good!
DRPHIL914
new E-brake cables and boots, old ones were only about 10 years old but had paint and undercoat spray on them and the sheath of one was cut , now is a good time to clean this up and put in new.
DRPHIL914
it’s been a week since my last post to update this ,
i jd the other thread about the CV issue, ans with that complete i was able to get the motor mounted in the car and wiring installed, also fuel lines etc. Saturday we primed it , fort oil pressure so hooked up the fuel lines and injectors and did the first start up.
It is now a running car! Sunday i did a run around the neighborhood, 2 20 minute runs for break in, and some tuning. idle is high and i think it’s an issue with vac hose hook up, this motor has head vents ans i was going off of factory diagram but several people suggested i hook up the head vent ans the oil filler vent to a breather box/catch can. any input on this would be appreciated- i will post a few pics but it’s installed per factory diagram from Jeff Bowlsby website.

nditiz1
Nice work! I would go with that same idea. Mount a box to the firewall and have all 3 terminate at the breather. Cap off the one hole that would be used for the oil filler to the air box.

Where did you source your ebrake cables and boots? I need to redo both of mine.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 20 2021, 09:25 AM) *

Nice work! I would go with that same idea. Mount a box to the firewall and have all 3 terminate at the breather. Cap off the one hole that would be used for the oil filler to the air box.

Where did you source your ebrake cables and boots? I need to redo both of mine.

@nditiz1 thanks for the input. yea, hooked up like this, the breather goes to the manifold/plenum which sucks a lot of air and is like a giant vac leak, before with original 75 motor that had the smog removed , no head vents the breather just went to the air box, not plenum. but like that its going to suck oil vapor and mess up the box and the hoses. I was told by an experienced VW and Porsche motor builder that doing it with the catch can box will balance the pressure, not suck those oil vapor into the box and decrease the carbon build up on the valves too. IDK but i am going to make that change and see how that does.
- also the E-brake cables came from E-bay, but the boots are either 914rubber or SMC i am not sure.
I have my other cables i had installed about 5 years ago, they are fine and just had a bit of overspray on them and a bit of rubbing on one of the sheaths. if you want them i can give them to you at Okteenerfest, let me know. i will bring them with, will trade for a bottle of Hendricks Gin or a nice Bourbon lol.

Phil
barefoot
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 20 2021, 09:01 AM) *

it’s been a week since my last post to update this ,
i jd the other thread about the CV issue, ans with that complete i was able to get the motor mounted in the car and wiring installed, also fuel lines etc. Saturday we primed it , fort oil pressure so hooked up the fuel lines and injectors and did the first start up.
It is now a running car! Sunday i did a run around the neighborhood, 2 20 minute runs for break in, and some tuning. idle is high and i think it’s an issue with vac hose hook up, this motor has head vents ans i was going off of factory diagram but several people suggested i hook up the head vent ans the oil filler vent to a breather box/catch can. any input on this would be appreciated- i will post a few pics but it’s installed per factory diagram from Jeff Bowlsby website.

I connected the head vents to themselves & a small breather catch can mounted high on firewall to vent the chimney to a carb inlet. NB I stuffed some open cell reticulated foam in the breather can. These hoses stay dry, no oil collection observed.
Not sure where with FI you would connect vent hose.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
new skis on the rack, and some new door panels!

good chip damage repaired and repainted ans back on the car
DRPHIL914
new front upper pad from 914rubber one installed

i like the extra vinyl left for wrapping it into the groove and under the seal but it took a while , extra hands would have helped.
DRPHIL914
with the door panels. nice to have new vapor barrier, but the butyl is a bit thick or the clips a bit too tight so it’s hard to get them to grab by just pressing, end results is worth the work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.