Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 12 2020, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 11 2020, 01:04 PM) *

agree.gif ... Nice water jet table too drooley.gif

Plasma Cutter, see the slag on the cross bars. Still is a super nice unit.

I have a small water jet, that is somewhere between manufacture, and my loading dock. Only been 3 months waiting as of today.

Damn virus
Unobtanium-inc
Today's fun project.
When the guy you buy your house from is an arse-hole, and spent years dumping trash in the way backyard, it means you get to spend an afternoon dragging old mattresss, screen doors, TV trays, and who knows what else out of the weeds and into your truck. Thanks dude!
mb911
Burning some remnants of the basement project.. Click to view attachment
brcacti
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 11 2020, 05:48 PM) *

I'm taking my 66 Ghia to bare metal sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Long ago in another state I knew a family that at one time had 3 of these. Pictures of new ones are very interesting, I like them
euro911
QUOTE(brcacti @ Apr 12 2020, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Apr 11 2020, 05:48 PM) *

I'm taking my 66 Ghia to bare metal sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Long ago in another state I knew a family that at one time had 3 of these. Pictures of new ones are very interesting, I like them
agree.gif #meeeeeetoooooo rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
djway
The early Ghias had such a beautiful dash
Click to view attachment
Greg914-6GT
Finishing it up. The orange foam is to prevent scratching the roll cage. Color is Porsche Exclusive Gold as used on limited Turbo S. Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Apr 13 2020, 06:05 AM) *

Finishing it up. The orange foam is to prevent scratching the roll cage. Color is Porsche Exclusive Gold as used on limited Turbo S. Click to view attachment

OK, seriously. Did I miss a build thread or are just all about surprising us? drooley.gif
That looks KILLER! pray.gif wub.gif
More, please?
Cairo94507
I agree. We need to see a lot of pictures of this build. I also have to say, I have never seen jack stands on top of dollies. I hope that is safe- it just gives me a little scare. By the way, that gold looks nice. beerchug.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2020, 10:10 AM) *

I also have to say, I have never seen jack stands on top of dollies. I hope that is safe- it just gives me a little scare.

agree.gif
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 13 2020, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Apr 13 2020, 06:05 AM) *

OK, seriously. Did I miss a build thread or are just all about surprising us? drooley.gif
That looks KILLER! pray.gif wub.gif
More, please?

agree.gif WTF.gif
euro911
drooley.gif Love the color.

I bought a $100. Telecaster kit a while back ... I thought I could start building it ...

Click to view attachment

... but my wife & I suddenly changed course yesterday, and decided to start packing up boxes of non-essentials that we will transport to our retirement home in AZ when the C-19 crisis eases up.

Packed up all my scale models, R/C toys (cars, helicopters & quads/'drones') and started on my old tube radio collection, wife is packing up her china & ceramic bird collection ...

popcorn[1].gif
Retroracer
GT FUEL GAUGE SHENANIGANS (continued. S1 Ep2)

SO you may recall my attempt to replicate a fair copy of the ultra-rare 914/6 GT fuel gauge - based on a white-face NOS VDO 60mm fuel gauge I got for very cheap:

Click to view attachment

Last time I got to the point of modifying the casing to add the EMPTY indicator, as well as maintain the gauge illumination.

Some progress was made over the weekend:

1) fascia and inner bezel prepped and painted to match outer bezel
2) electrical testing to confirm operation and compatibility with standard VDO 914 sender (more on that later)
3) drill fascia to allow EMPTY light to shine through; add red acrylic filter
4) new vinyl design to replicate original white lettering on black arrived - yay! (printing cost = $6).
5) all the above items combined together and reassembled:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
eh
Click to view attachment

Couple of points: The text came out a bit small but I can live with it. This is for my car which I drive and enjoy, not a 100 point Concours queen; Also, fun fact: I copied the lettering by eye on Powerpoint, and sent it out to get printed as a vinyl sticker. I found the nearest font for the lettering to be "DIN Alternate"; who knew.

So... the issue now is that IN NO WAY does the standard VDO 914 sender match the more modern VDO gauge. Like, at all. The gauge expects:

200ohms - full
100ohms - 1/2
0 ohms - E

and the sender (well mine anyway) kicks out:

0 ohms - full
35ohms - 1/2
75ohms - E

Bugger.

However, I have a cunning plan involving transistors and some electronic design (I used to get paid for this kind of thing in a previous life). A design for a conversion module (think: tachadapt, only for fuel gauges) was penned over a long cup of coffee, and as a consequence, some electronics parts are now on order.

Stay tuned to see if they work, or if the smoke gets let out...

TO BE CONTINUED....

- Tony

PS. The chrome dot was revealed by mounting the black painted pointer in a Dremel drill-bit chuck; then carefully using some abrasives with the Dremel clamped in a bench vise and set to low-ish speeds to reveal a "spun" look on the center. I had to be super careful not to rip the needle off, but it seemed to work really well!
euro911
Got some time on your hands? ...

Well, grab your popcorn[1].gif and your favorite beer3.gif ... here's something to take up about 90 minutes of that 'spare' time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/LdiqOEZpR0Y
Justinp71
Got a great deal on a track car... getting it ready for whenever the tracks open. Now I don't have to beat up the 914 as much.

euro911
Tell us more about it popcorn[1].gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2020, 04:44 AM) *

Tell us more about it popcorn[1].gif

It's called an exocet, the chassis is fabricated by Exomotive in Georgia. You buy a donor miata, pull off the body and connect the drive terrain to this new exo-frame. Then you basically have a 1500 lb miata... but I think it looks alot better. It was all set-up for the track, how could I say no? biggrin.gif

You can get them Ca legal with the SB100 like a kit Cobra, but since I have the 914 as my street car I most likely wont want to pay all the reg fees.
DRPHIL914
Got to work in the 914 today since i finished power washing the whole house and all the windows and screens!! i removed my seats today to fix the backside of the headrests, and when i did the new seat kits from 914rubber i reused the factory foam, which just didn’t give any decent vision or support anymore, so today i redid the driver seat by adding 1” firm memory foam to the whole seat bottom pad. Big improvement! also happy with getting those headrest material tacked back up in place.
KELTY360
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 13 2020, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2020, 10:10 AM) *

I also have to say, I have never seen jack stands on top of dollies. I hope that is safe- it just gives me a little scare.

agree.gif

I’ve had 914s and my ‘54 Mercury on jack stands/dollies many times. Great way to move car around shop and I always found it a stable configuration...as long as stands were properly positioned.
djway
I put in this big ole windshield today all by my lonesome
Click to view attachment
I am starting to get the hang of installing vw glass with chrome by myself.
I then moved on to installing the sunvisors, fun trying to find the mount holes through a new headliner, then hung the AC unit so I can figure out where to run the lines
euro911
'Notch' with Fuchs?
djway
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 15 2020, 01:08 AM) *

'Notch' with Fuchs?

6 inch , got them from Coondog
preach
Nice.
veltror
Got tthe engine back in after checking out the stroker I built last year.
Optimusglen
Lots of projects for me!

-Continued 000 magazine stuff. I wont spoil it but man, the upcoming issues are going to be great.

- Also lots of personal 3D modeling and rendering projects.

-I got my Targa Singer model sorted
IPB Image

-some work on this Guntherwerks 400R model
IPB Image

-I finished Version 1 of my IROC model, V2 is already in progress to correct some geometry
IPB Image

- I modeled my Seiko SKX009
IPB Image

-and one of my Heuer stopwatches
IPB Image

-I finished both of my bike builds. a 20" 1988 GT Vertigo ST and a 26" 2019 GT ProPerformer that I rebuilt to be an homage to the ST. The '88 I left in it's original frame condition, they call it a "survivor" with the patina and faded stickers. The original stickers had pink too

IPB Image

-then I 3D modeled them. The '88 shown here with spoke wheels, I did model the mags too.
IPB Image

THEN I bought a 3D printer...
IPB Image

Elegoo MARS

I haven't printed anything yet. But I've started the layout process and can print a 1/4 scale engine, piece by piece. The case halves being the largest parts.

IPB Image

For the thin parts (i.e. the tin and shroud pieces) I'm thinking I will need to print a form and then use some other material to make the actual parts. We'll see.

From what I've read, it sinks up the place and needs a warm temp to work properly, since it's cold here and I have a wife and kid that wouldn't like the smell, I'm waiting until it's warm out and I'll move it to the garage.
Optimusglen
whoops, duplicate post
rgalla9146
Glen your work is unbelievable.
Thank you for posting.
The engine is a 69 T ?
tygaboy
QUOTE(djway @ Apr 14 2020, 11:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment
I then moved on to installing the sunvisors, fun trying to find the mount holes through a new headliner, then hung the AC unit so I can figure out where to run the lines

@djway Dwayne - DUDE! Your Notch looks beautiful! Great work. Let me know if you ever want to sell it... seriously.
jd74914
@djway You have to post more pictures of the notch! drooley.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 15 2020, 08:49 AM) *

Glen your work is unbelievable.
Thank you for posting.
The engine is a 69 T ?

The engine is a '71 T
euro911
Outstanding renderings, as usual, Glen first.gif

Yes, more Notch pix, Dwayne popcorn[1].gif
djway
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 15 2020, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Apr 14 2020, 11:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@djway Dwayne - DUDE! Your Notch looks beautiful! Great work. Let me know if you ever want to sell it... seriously.

Thank you for the compliments guys.

Chris you are officially first on the list

I do have a car that I want to sell if anyone knows someone that loves the early Ghias
Click to view attachment
falcor75
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 15 2020, 03:33 PM) *

Lots of projects for me!

-Continued 000 magazine stuff. I wont spoil it but man, the upcoming issues are going to be great.

- Also lots of personal 3D modeling and rendering projects.

-I got my Targa Singer model sorted
IPB Image

-some work on this Guntherwerks 400R model
IPB Image

-I finished Version 1 of my IROC model, V2 is already in progress to correct some geometry
IPB Image

- I modeled my Seiko SKX009
IPB Image

-and one of my Heuer stopwatches
IPB Image

-I finished both of my bike builds. a 20" 1988 GT Vertigo ST and a 26" 2019 GT ProPerformer that I rebuilt to be an homage to the ST. The '88 I left in it's original frame condition, they call it a "survivor" with the patina and faded stickers. The original stickers had pink too

IPB Image

-then I 3D modeled them. The '88 shown here with spoke wheels, I did model the mags too.
IPB Image

THEN I bought a 3D printer...
IPB Image

Elegoo MARS

I haven't printed anything yet. But I've started the layout process and can print a 1/4 scale engine, piece by piece. The case halves being the largest parts.

IPB Image

For the thin parts (i.e. the tin and shroud pieces) I'm thinking I will need to print a form and then use some other material to make the actual parts. We'll see.

From what I've read, it sinks up the place and needs a warm temp to work properly, since it's cold here and I have a wife and kid that wouldn't like the smell, I'm waiting until it's warm out and I'll move it to the garage.

Amazing work. If you print in PLA it will smell a little the first half hour when all the components heat up for the first time. Just air out the house for five minutes and you should be ok. After that first time mine doesnt smell at all.
VoPo914
During this quarantine time, I have been able to get to my restoration shop and finish a couple of clients' projects, here they are. Stay Safe and Well everyone!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Apr 16 2020, 01:52 PM) *

During this quarantine time, I have been able to get to my restoration shop and finish a couple of clients' projects, here they are. Stay Safe and Well everyone!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

nice work!! those have to be circa 1970’s? i had one of those i would say about 1969 or 1970.
VoPo914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 16 2020, 02:05 PM) *

nice work!! those have to be circa 1970’s? i had one of those i would say about 1969 or 1970.

Thanks! I specialize in restoration of Muscle Bikes. The purple AMF Aero Bee is a 1970 and the tangerine Murray Wildcat is a very early 1965.
porschetub
Nice work on the rendering of the 911 engine Glen ,bloody amazing.
Well pissed around with my replacement tach and never got it to work,before I lost my cool I got my oil temp gauge working,tested wiring and found bad connection on sender unit,all good now.
Really looks like my replacement tach is a dud ,guy I bought it of said it was good dry.gif ,reminds me of the saying "ran when parked up".
Found I had setup the gearbox mounts all wrong and after correcting them my shift is screwed up but in some ways better...fine tuning required.
Carbs … been running ok but room for improvement as had an imbalance in vacuum (lower) on RH side carb,turned out to be a simple fix so now running better than ever,guess I have to have a win sometimes biggrin.gif .
euro911
I was more familiar with the Schwinn Orange Krate & Apple Krate versions. Back in the early~mid-60s, a neighbor laced a Schwinn Varsity's 10-speed rear gear cluster and a 3-sprocket crank on a standard Stingray before the Krate series were produced ... couldn't pedal it fast enough in the low gears to even keep the bike upright - lol
mb911
Today was flooring day in the basement.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
euro911
OK ... what's the pipe for? ... future powder room? confused24.gif

I disassembled, cut up and disposed of the termite-infested lumber that once was a pergola I had built for my wife many years ago ... sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 16 2020, 05:10 PM) *

OK ... what's the pipe for? ... future powder room? confused24.gif

Yup.. Thats next..
djway
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 16 2020, 12:05 PM) *

I had a Murray with the small front wheel kinda Orange Crate like smile.gif
djway
Per request I have another Notch pic.
Click to view attachment
I spent the last two days trying to get the fenders and welt to fit. Real weak spot in the lower front edge of the fender, if I had know I would have welded in a support before paint but it is what it is and it bulges out slightly there headbang.gif

Hung the tails lights and rear reflectors. She is starting to look like a car I could like smile.gif

djway
Wish I was 18 again and the world was open
Click to view attachment
Betty
QUOTE(djway @ Apr 16 2020, 10:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment
I spent the last two days trying to get the fenders and welt to fit. Real weak spot in the lower front edge of the fender, if I had know I would have welded in a support before paint but it is what it is and it bulges out slightly there headbang.gif

Hung the tails lights and rear reflectors. She is starting to look like a car I could like smile.gif

Umm... pictures of the bitchin' paint job on the bus in the back too? first.gif
djway
QUOTE(Betty @ Apr 17 2020, 02:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Mama was a Rolling Stone
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
djway
QUOTE(Betty @ Apr 17 2020, 02:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
aggiezig
"Safer from Home" means more garage time, and that makes me a happy camper...

Engine back up into my 914 project...

IPB Image

Working on my neighbor's 944 track car project...

IPB Image

Bought a Jeep CJ7 project...

IPB Image

Looking for an E30, now. Yes, I have a disease. Don't we all?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(djway @ Apr 16 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Almost looks like my bud's current Baja build...he's sporting one of my ceramic coated Elimimator exhausts driving.gif

djway
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 17 2020, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Apr 16 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Almost looks like my bud's current Baja build...he's sporting one of my ceramic coated Elimimator exhausts driving.gif

Being from Riverside that is an original Sand Winder kit, Four tuned exhaust and motor by Lee Leighton. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.