Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
VaccaRabite
I eventually did "finish" the off-road camp trailer.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

It works really well. I've had a few opportunities to pull it on and off road. I want to change the hitch to a more beefy off road hitch, but it works as is so long as I don't get too much of a twist between the truck and the trailer. And it does a fantastic job keeping all the crap out of my truck so I can bring the dog/kids/whatever.

Zach
euro911
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2020, 09:48 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

It works really well. I've had a few opportunities to pull it on and off road. I want to change the hitch to a more beefy off road hitch, but it works as is so long as I don't get too much of a twist between the truck and the trailer. And it does a fantastic job keeping all the crap out of my truck so I can bring the dog/kids/whatever.

Zach
Cool aktion035.gif
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2020, 08:48 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Zach

Love the stand up tent
porschetub
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 14 2020, 05:48 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Zach

Well done and really like it smilie_pokal.gif .
VaccaRabite

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 13 2020, 09:57 PM) *

Zach

Love the stand up tent

Basically a mobile outhouse. Girlfriends need infrastructure sometimes. The orange tent, bucket pot, bucket liner and kitty litter to keep the smell down. It works. Double bag and drop it in the dumpster at the first gas station on the way home. Leave no trace friendly.

Zach
tygaboy
A friend of my wife with the last name of "Young" loves dachshunds (she has 4 of them. @Cairo94507 ), just bought a cabin in the Blueridge Mountains and wanted a sign for the front porch. So I cranked out this one.

The pup is a separate piece that stands off the background by about 1/2".
Cairo94507
Chris that is amazing! Love it. beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 05:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

@aturboman
That's inspiration I'll squirrel away for later. Thanks Robert.

IPB Image
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 18 2020, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 05:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

@aturboman
That's inspiration I'll squirrel away for later. Thanks Robert.

IPB Image

Anyone have an idea when this ended ?
I have two but have no idea what cars they came from.
FL000
Decided to re-line and make some upgrades to my koi pond

Click to view attachment

Also decided to get chickens

Click to view attachment

Nothing like having 3 major projects going on at once (always have a 914 project going, that goes without saying)
flat4guy
Making trophies for future showsClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 18 2020, 05:43 PM) *
Anyone have an idea when this ended ?
I have two but have no idea what cars they came from.
@rgalla9146
Thread in the Originality and Histroy forum
euro911
I wouldn't classify it as a 'project', but my Tundra hadn't had a bath for a few months - so a bath it got. Between the marine layer and ash from local mountain fires, it was looking pretty bad.

I drove it through an automated $5. car wash facility first, then drove it home for another washing. It still needs a good polish and wax job, but looking much better than it did.
djway

Got nothing done today.
High winds that knocked me off my feet. Temp structures blowing away even though anchored. Sat holding one for a while during peak winds so it wouldn't hit my Westy that is immobile.
Tree went down across the street and while they were cutting it up the one next to it came down while everyone scattered. Two doors down another let go.
Then while I was trying to save my little Pomegranate tree I get a call that my car covers are blowing down the street and the beautiful flowering Pear next to my driveway was on my neighbors car.
Grabbed the chainsaw and worked my way into the car. Nice it had a sharp chain blade.
Instacart guy dropped off order and said he had been working his way to deliveries around downed trees and blocked roads all over town.
I was able to secure the structures to other cars but they will probably need major repair after this is over. Hopefully morning won't be as bad as last night and today.
Long story short
Got nothing done today.
euro911
Finally got around to installing a group-31 size battery box on the newly acquired Parkit 360 Dolly.

Click to view attachment

Parkit gets $55. + shipping for a group-24 size battery box, but they're too small for the larger 110Ah AGM batteries I typically buy for solar back-up systems, so picked up a box up at Pep Boys for $10. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Next, I need to fabricate a bracket with a pair of swiveling wheels to keep the unit level (Parkit gets $500. for their version) - hell with that nonsense.

Click to view attachment

Other than that, been writing parody lyrics and recording them over several popular old rock songs, and setting up a few inexpensive guitars that I recently picked up biggrin.gif
andrewb
I got this for Christmas - suspect it may become a bit of a project biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Perfect as it is but but but....................

(2.3 Turbo, remapped, 275hp driving.gif smile.gif )

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(andrewb @ Dec 26 2020, 05:20 AM) *

I got this for Christmas - suspect it may become a bit of a project biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Not seen here......a Saab.........do tell !
andrewb
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really ?? You don't - or rather didn't - get SAABs in the US ? I never realised.

Well they're quite quirky and in the UK enjoy a similar sort of following to the 914 in the US.

They're very well built - i.e. heavy - think air cooled VWs. They have lots of odd and idiosyncratic little design features such as the ignition which is by the gear lever and you have to put it in reverse to get the key out. Always front wheel drive (apart from towards the end) and big oversquare 4 cylinder engines with lots of torque. Oh and turbos - BIG turbos. SAAB also built trucks and aircraft. I've always seen them as 'engineers cars'.

Mine is a 2.3 litre 9-5 Sport. 220 hp as standard and now - apparently - 275hp.
The surge in 2nd gear is immense. Limited to 145mph. In a relatively ordinary looking estate. Can't wait to pick off some VW Golfs.
Jett
Restored and old 911 toolkit and some old parts —evaporust smile.gif
flyer86d
On Christmas Eve, I installed the engine and transmission in the 1968 911. I assembled the engine in early Covid and spent the warmer months rebuilding the brakes, pedal cluster, shift linkage, parking brakes, seats. I still have to dope out the wiring unless I can source a 68 engine harness. The engine began as a 1975 911S but I rebuilt it with RS P&S, 911 L cams and Weber’s. I can slice up the 75 CIS engine harness but the engineer in me always try’s to seek the easy way. Then comes the fuel system etc.

CharlieClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Dec 26 2020, 03:43 PM) *

On Christmas Eve, I installed the engine and transmission in the 1968 911. I assembled the engine in early Covid and spent the warmer months rebuilding the brakes, pedal cluster, shift linkage, parking brakes, seats. I still have to dope out the wiring unless I can source a 68 engine harness. The engine began as a 1975 911S but I rebuilt it with RS P&S, 911 L cams and Weber’s. I can slice up the 75 CIS engine harness but the engineer in me always try’s to seek the easy way. Then comes the fuel system etc.

CharlieClick to view attachment

Uh.. Dude.. I think you put the engine in backwards. The fan is supposed to face forward. poke.gif

rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 26 2020, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(andrewb @ Dec 26 2020, 05:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I see my mistake. Faulty punctuation or composition.
Yes, of course, there are plenty of Saabs here.
That model is not familiar.
At one time there were re-badged Subaru models sold as Saabs here
but the one pictured looks different.
I'm sure it is interesting. Have fun !
Root_Werks
Getting closer to final on our house. Working on stair railing and had to create a newel post from one of the support posts:

Root_Werks
Stained it last night, needs a coat of poly:

euro911
Nice carpentry skills first.gif
djway
Click to view attachment
VW steering wheels are skinny and cold so I decided to pad then cover in leather my Notchback wheel.
I used 6mm EVA foam with a Shore rating of 60 which is the rating steering wheel manufacturers use. EVA can also be heat shaped.
The new grip diameter allowed me to use a pre made leather cover.
Feels and looks great.
I am working on a 914 wheel that was trashed to the metal. I am using 10mm foam on that.
wonkipop
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Oct 18 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Making trophies for future showsClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

watch out mate or i might have to try and breach cov vid quarantine and nazi aus govt. health regulations to win that con rod man with the knob head.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(djway @ Dec 31 2020, 02:30 AM) *

Click to view attachment
VW steering wheels are skinny and cold so I decided to pad then cover in leather my Notchback wheel.
I used 6mm EVA foam with a Shore rating of 60 which is the rating steering wheel manufacturers use. EVA can also be heat shaped.
The new grip diameter allowed me to use a pre made leather cover.
Feels and looks great.
I am working on a 914 wheel that was trashed to the metal. I am using 10mm foam on that.

Beautiful job !
andrewb
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 27 2020, 04:03 PM) *

I see my mistake. Faulty punctuation or composition.
Yes, of course, there are plenty of Saabs here.
That model is not familiar.
At one time there were re-badged Subaru models sold as Saabs here
but the one pictured looks different.
I'm sure it is interesting. Have fun !

Ahhh ok no problem - mine is a 9-5 Vector Estate (shooting brake to you guys ?)

2.3 with a hulking great turbo. Power and torque by the bucketload. In a moment of madness today I wondered if that engine would fit in a 914 - no chance.

I've had my head under the hood for 2 days fixing a blown PAS pipe. After 4 days of ownership !! Went for a thrash to check all was good (it was VERY good) and now have a blown radiator. Ho hum, the joys of old cars.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(andrewb @ Dec 26 2020, 02:20 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I bought have a SAAB a few years ago, I needed the tail lights. Apparently the Sonnet and the 904 share a tail light. Rather than spend thousands on the "904" taillight I bought half a SAAB for a few hundred bucks.
rgalla9146
Spent the last month cleaning and painting the basement.
Did some automotive decor with extra panels from my GT project.
Best place I could find to store them.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(ssuperflyoldguy @ Jun 3 2020, 10:32 PM) *

"new" C-125 to go with the C-81 - factory attachments: Rototiller, mower deck & front blade.

I think the 8hp C-81 will go to a home with a smaller yard.Click to view attachment

C-81 turned out to be way condition so I’ll keep it instead
rbzymek
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 23 2020, 10:18 PM) *

My nephew was in the hunt for some American Iron, so I helped him PPI this '64 T-Bird ...and it's in his ownership now. Built at the Wixom, Ohio plant, shipped to L.A. and lived its life in SoCal. 390 c.i. and just about everything has been kept up/ and works. It sat in a Condo parking structure covered in 1/4" of dust...but detailed out real nice.
He can now go cruising down the hood in his 64... in a big red Bird biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

FYI the Wixom plant is in Michigan just NW of Detroit. It has since been razed. My father in law worked at the plant for many years. I was on the launch team for the 2005 Model Year T-Bird.
flyer86d
Just finished glueing the wing ribs for the Pietenpol Air Camper.Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 9 2021, 10:43 AM) *

Just finished glueing the wing ribs for the Pietenpol Air Camper.Click to view attachment

Hey Charlie.....that's a project !
Years ago I spent an afternoon at The Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome....a great day!
flyer86d
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 9 2021, 08:36 PM) *

It’s detail fussy work that I normally don’t have patience for but I’ve enjoyed this. Remember, this airframe had its wings ruined in a hand start incident so I am only building wings. When I dragged it home, my wife said, “your not going to fly that thing as long as I’m around!” Well, the last comment from her was” are you really going to fly that thing?” So I’m making progress on the domestic front.

I’ve never made it to Old Rheinbeck as many times that I have either flown over it or passed the area on the Thruway. It’s on my bucket list though.

Charlie
rbzymek
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2020, 06:41 PM) *

@rbzymek ... Your kitchen looks much brighter and in essence, larger. Nice job - looking for the finished pix popcorn[1].gif

Just tidying up a few items in the 'new' Cayman. Some of the items that I ordered started showing up today ... the car cover, Bosch windshield wipers, a short UHF/VHF radio antenna for when I get a chance to install the HAM radio in it, and a new factory owner's manual smile.gif

Doing a little more investigation, I ran the VIN and found out it isn't a base model, it's an 'S' with the 3.4L mueba.gif

@euro11
Here are some later pictures. Currently re-doing the bathrooms.

Click to view attachment

rbzymek
Clean up

Boothy
This sounds like a "What am I thankful for" thing.

Yes, despite all the horrors of COVID, working from home allowed me to make some serious progress on an old project.

I always wanted the speedster that she had in Top Gun. Not many in the Northeast so it was always a figure out a trip to CA or FLA. So I setup a watch on EBay and on showed up in NJ one Friday night. I had been started by a body man who worked at a classic Mustang place. Same old story, divorce, evacuation, shit left behind.

Over a few beers that night, I went back and forth with the shop owner. He didn't it on his lot. The bid started at $800 with lots of watchers. Close to midnight he said "$3000 if you can get it out of here next week." Deal! No engine but everything was still in boxes. Windshield, interior, etc. Can back from NJ the following week with it on a trailer and the inside of my truck loaded to the gills with boxes.

The lawyers tried to grab it during my divorce but it ended up in my new garage. COVID allowed me to finishing the last of the bumpers, interior, and all those little things that nag you. It has a Formula 1st case with a fully balanced crank, rods, CB cam, 1:25 rockers, hi flow heads, Dellortos (which are a bitch to adjust). Not a big bore but it'll go.

It was kinda funny. Get off a conference call, run out to the garage, do a few things, run back in before my laptop timed out. I was like Dash from The Incredibles - zipping out to the garage, zipping back in...
rbzymek
Clean up.
rbzymek
Clean up.
rbzymek
Clean up.
mepstein
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Mar 10 2021, 10:44 AM) *

Looks great. beerchug.gif
rbzymek
I can't see my post. I get an error message.
rbzymek
I switched my browser and now it works.
Jett
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Mar 10 2021, 06:26 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2020, 06:41 PM) *

@rbzymek ... Your kitchen looks much brighter and in essence, larger. Nice job - looking for the finished pix popcorn[1].gif

Just tidying up a few items in the 'new' Cayman. Some of the items that I ordered started showing up today ... the car cover, Bosch windshield wipers, a short UHF/VHF radio antenna for when I get a chance to install the HAM radio in it, and a new factory owner's manual smile.gif

Doing a little more investigation, I ran the VIN and found out it isn't a base model, it's an 'S' with the 3.4L mueba.gif

@euro11
Here are some later pictures. Currently re-doing the bathrooms.

Click to view attachment

The new is great!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 10 2021, 05:25 AM) *

It’s detail fussy work that I normally don’t have patience for but I’ve enjoyed this. Remember, this airframe had its wings ruined in a hand start incident so I am only building wings. When I dragged it home, my wife said, “your not going to fly that thing as long as I’m around!” Well, the last comment from her was” are you really going to fly that thing?” So I’m making progress on the domestic front.

I’ve never made it to Old Rheinbeck as many times that I have either flown over it or passed the area on the Thruway. It’s on my bucket list though.

Charlie

that is really cool!, i was trying to remember why this sounded familar, so i had to do some research, and it hit me, - https://www.pietenpolaircraftcompany.com/photo-gallery

its origination was in my home state of MN, i was into model aircraft at an early age and build several models of these and intended to build a plane some day but got into cars and forgot about it. Pietenpol's grandson Andrew and i were in college at the same time. Its a cool family legacy he has carried on. So build that plane - maybe put a VWPorsche ,motor in it rather than a Model A, but do it!!! post afew more pictures too.
@flyer86d
Spoke
I wanted to circle back on the trestle project I detailed on the first page of this thread. The trestle is now completed and in place. Because the placement of the trestle limits the access to the track behind it, the trestle and its platform can be removed in a few minutes.

Click to view attachment

This little trestle was built by my Uncle Lou in the late 1960's. As a young boy I remember my uncle showing my Dad and I some of his trains including this trestle before he built his layout which I now have in my basement. He never found a place to put this trestle and remained unused until now. So it took me 25 years to complete the large trestle and 50 years to get this trestle onto the layout.

Click to view attachment
flyer86d
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 10 2021, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 10 2021, 05:25 AM) *

Charlie

that is really cool!, i was trying to remember why this sounded familar, so i had to do some research, and it hit me, - https://www.pietenpolaircraftcompany.com/photo-gallery

its origination was in my home state of MN, i was into model aircraft at an early age and build several models of these and intended to build a plane some day but got into cars and forgot about it. Pietenpol's grandson Andrew and i were in college at the same time. Its a cool family legacy he has carried on. So build that plane - maybe put a VWPorsche ,motor in it rather than a Model A, but do it!!! post afew more pictures too.
@flyer86d

My daughter graduated from Gustavus Adolphus in St Peter, MN in 2017. My son and I drove my daughter’s Jeep back to Vermont after the graduation and stopped in Cherry Grove on the spur of the moment. We found Bernard Pietenpol’s hanger and airfield and the met Bernie Finke who is the daughter of the fellow who drafted the plans. She is a treasure trove of all things a Pietenpol Air Camper and loves to talk about it. A great stop! My plane has a Continental 65. I originally discovered the type thru a Model A site back when I was building my A. Also the last two AirCampers that Bernie Pietenpol built, he powered with Corvair engines. My first car was a Corvair.

Charlie

euro911
Wow, you guys are getting some cool stuff done.

All I've done was to re-outfit my old Tacoma with HAM radio gear and readied for camping (since my Tundra got totaled) ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and started building a portable solar power box (from a discarded Coleman ice chest) for running my refer and other electrical items when out camping ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Almost finished. Need to find my errant 1kW sine wage inverter to complete the project
popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.