Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
JamesM
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 21 2020, 11:22 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 21 2020, 10:36 PM) *
Started out slow with a little of this

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... I can't win, but at it gave me something to do.
Looks like you had a busy day, eh? Everything you worked on looks great.

Coincidentally, when my wife & I were loading up boxes into my truck for an impending run to AZ, I noticed the grilles on my Westy were looking shabby and in need of a new paint job (again). I think I'm going to spray with a semi-gloss this time - the flat paint I used last time didn't seem to hold up to well dry.gif

I was debating if paint was the way to go but they were looking shabby enough i figured i would give it a shot. Wound up using a plastic bumper paint that has almost a light bedliner like texture to it. Interested to see how it holds up.
rgalla9146
Finally got around to some spring cleaning and re-arrangement in the garage.
This is the first time this car has rolled in more than 10 years.
I took it off the lift and turned it around to do some work.
If the Luft event happens in November we hope to be there with this car.
It's a numbers matching '57
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Barn find - laugh.gif
euro911
Started in on the laundry room remodel (demo work) yesterday ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and we set the ridge for the new gable roof today ...

Click to view attachment

Root_Werks
Still building our house (hangar home). Living the "life" in a 19ft trailer while I plug along. Electrical was approved just before the Stay at Home order. Plumbing is next before I can cover up the rest of the walls.

Root_Werks
We do find time to relax and enjoy our place. Some stuff is done and final like the Deck. Our back yard is the runway for Roche Harbor. You can see the harbor off to the right.

TravisNeff
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 24 2020, 09:34 AM) *

We do find time to relax and enjoy our place. Some stuff is done and final like the Deck. Our back yard is the runway for Roche Harbor. You can see the harbor off to the right.

Million dollar views Dan!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 24 2020, 11:34 AM) *

I am jealous. When we were looking to buy a house, I wanted a hangar with a small two bedroom apartment in it. Lots of room to park cars/airplanes inside.

Betty Vetoed that one. She said it was too far out of town.

So you are a lucky guy....
Mikko
Hello everyone!

Found a crazy deal on a complete ML63 AMG Leather seat seat.. going to upgrade from the MB-Tex (fake) leather in the 550...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
barefoot
New wheels/tyres. 17x7 wheels shod with 225-50 R17's front & 235-45 R17s rear.
Just enough room rear for finger width clearance to trailing arm. I'm sure fronts will rub inner fender wells at full lock.
With wide body kit I had to try 1 wheel first with a 2D mock-up of tyre profile's to conclude the deal as no standard fitment guide to be had.

Click to view attachment
euro911
Got a little more done on the laundry room yesterday. Not as much as hoped, but we had extremely warm temperatures and and hour delay due to another issue dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hey Mark- That's going to look very nice. beerchug.gif
Toby
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum although must have registered before. I have a new project about to get started that has some design elements of the 914, but because they are getting hard to find, will not be a 914, it will use a new(er) VW bug.

For background, my most fun 914 was a 1970 with 1.7 and duel Weber carbs. In a rust repair, I set it on fire and toasted the entire interior. 4 more were never the same. It was a great and fun car to cruise but after buying 3 speeding tickets, was time to quit. Now 30 years later, I want to use some design, like the rear swing arm and build a bug that will be like nobody else.

It's going to be a mid engine like any self respecting 914. I just scored a supercharged Pontiac Bonneville (PB) 3.8 with transmission and have to do some work to keep a running setup with the OEM Pontiac computer. The donor will give it's hubs, disk brakes, bearings, shafts and many other parts. The heavy front brakes on the donor PB will be incorporated into both the front and rear with the hubs, making it potential to have an electric front motor in the years ahead, since the PB is front drive.

I'm starting the swing arm rear and need some details. I don't have any parts or a (914) car to refer to, so may ask some redundant questions.

It looks like the front body mounts (of the 914 rear suspension) are at about a 15 degree angle to the axle, so I'm starting there to work in the bearing and brakes from the PB. Most used parts are just to get design and new components will go into the final build. Calipers and some parts from the PB will be used, reconditioned.

I'm not sure what parts of the PB steering will be used or if the design meets my "like a 914" criteria. Please make suggestions for any front suspension that you think would be a good choice.

I have a new style bug located, non runner, that is cheap enough to start cutting in half for the mid engine mount and frame build.

I hope you have some great comments and advise. I call this my "bug out" project and will be painting it flat green or camo to match my M35A3 4x4 army truck. Pictures will come later.

By the way, I had the CV19 in January (I'm convinced) and now huff Ever Clear regularly in hopes of not getting it back.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing your project as you move along. beerchug.gif
Toby
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 26 2020, 05:32 AM) *

welcome.png Sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing your project as you move along. beerchug.gif

Thanks Cairo94507. I've been looking for a forum to get some feedback and would be doing this to a 914, but they have gotten harder to get and many are severely rusted. Or they bring a premium price. My budget makes me more of a "make it look nice rat rod type of build".

Please help with some of the technical issues that I will come across as I fab the suspension, brakes, cooling heating etc. Like do you recommend the same front suspension geometry? Should I keep the air conditioner compressor?

More than anything, I hope someone would keep me from making a major mistake. I've been an inventor for about 45 years, so can solve most of my problems....but not the big bucks it takes to get a ready to go 914 ride.

I'll try to post a couple pictures of my M35 4x4 build and M929A2 to get acquainted with posting pictures here. Everyone like pictures.

Thanks again, toby
r_towle
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 25 2020, 04:42 PM) *

Got a little more done on the laundry room yesterday. Not as much as hoped, but we had extremely warm temperatures and and hour delay due to another issue dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Omg, no snow loads there, or a need to worry about ice build up!
My roof framing needs to be much bigger!
preach
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 26 2020, 11:35 AM) *

We live in quite a different climate.
euro911
Cool project Toby ... looking forward to watching the build process popcorn[1].gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, no heavy snow loads (or any snow for that matter) here on the west coast, but the required support/bracing will be done once the old flat roof planks and rafters are cut out and new ceiling joists are in place at 8' AFF* ... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif - We did the same process (8' ceilings) for our music room/den back in 2018 ... it originally had a low flat roof too, although we built up the gable roof portion about 25 years ago.

Click to view attachment

It was nice to finally have a real ceiling it that room ...

Click to view attachment

My friends, Greg and Carl, and I took the w/e off from the construction, but my wife & I weren't sitting idle, we cleaned up the demo remnants for transport to the disposal facility cheer.gif

Once the roof is all done, we'll start in on the inside work, building a new raise floor* to match the height of the existing house floor. The laundry room is a slab floor, 9" below the house floor now. Then there's the window replacement, electrical rework, insulation & drywall stuff to do shades.gif

Want to get this all done before the rainy season hits, so just about everything else has been pushed to the back burner, including car stuff dry.gif
Mueller
Finally got around to making a moving monitor and keyboard arm for my mill. For the last few years I had it on a small table, what a pain due to the crapped space on that side of the garage.

The white square tube is 2"□ x .1875 thick wall, not going to bend or flex.
I ordered some polycarbonate sheet over the weekend, onve I get tjat I will start build an enclosure for the mill.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Changed the oil on the Bug and took a small road trip (Chuckanut). Easy to stay Socially distanced from everyone using drive-thru. Did a short flight later to check out the one or two Tulip fields (no Tulip Festival this year).

Very fun day and nice to get out of the house for a bit.

porschetub
Been busy doing stuff I had no time for until lockdown,refited drivers side door panel after putting strips of sound deadening inside the door...no more tinny sound when closing door.
Been hunting in my lost treasure collection a found rebuilt set of rebuilt rear roof latches,was really surprised how worn out the old ones were,all pivot pins flogged out and lots of tension lost for that reason...I put it down to body flex on my shitty entrance rough road.
Test fitted them and a huge difference.
Click to view attachment
Bruce Stone did a great job on these ,credit due smilie_pokal.gif .
Targa pad was looking worse for wear and tried to tidy up but found it was covered in leather,peeled that off and found one large crack but cleaned up it looks better than before.
Will do some basic repairs to pad and when my trimmer gets back to work I will get the right fabric to recover it.
euro911
More playing with lumber ... smash.gif

Click to view attachment
Specracer
I was thinking the exact same thing!

[/quote]
[/quote]
preach
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Nice banjo uke. Mine is a Wizard from approx 1927. Has a song written in it as well:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Morph914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Fuel pump on the Astro went out. Not a fun job, the tank had to be removed to get to the pump. A sigh of relief was had when the key was turned and the sweet sound of the pump priming the engine was heard. And of course the engine fired off immediately. aktion035.gif

djway
Click to view attachment
For the type IV motor going into my Notchback I found this 150 amp Alternator. I need to slightly modify the mount so that the pulley lines up better with the fan pulley and I also need to modify the slide mount to compensate for the difference in distance between the mounting holes.
Single wire, internal fan.
They put the wire lug as a side mount, I guessed wrong and asked for 3 o clock when I should have asked for 9 but there is still plenty of room.
The picture was oriented correctly on my computer but rotated here for some reason.
914e
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 27 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Changed the oil on the Bug and took a small road trip (Chuckanut). Easy to stay Socially distanced from everyone using drive-thru. Did a short flight later to check out the one or two Tulip fields (no Tulip Festival this year).

Very fun day and nice to get out of the house for a bit.

Nice Bug. My son and I did the last drive of car season Sunday in the Bug. Pulled it in behind the 914 and put a cover on it. With luck cars and coffee can start back up soon.
euro911
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 28 2020, 04:26 AM) *
Nice banjo uke. Mine is a Wizard from approx 1927. Has a song written in it as well:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cool. Don't see these old relics too often these days. A friend made this cool little 3-string for me a couple years ago ...

Click to view attachment

Otherwise, still working on the remodel. Roof framing almost done, should be done by tomorrow ... then demo the old flat roof & install new ceiling joists at 8'.

We built the gable with a long overhang, as we'll be adding another 2' addition at some point in the future. The existing bathroom (only a toilet & shower) is really small and my wife wants to add a sink and storage cabinets for bathroom related stuff. Some of these 100+ year old houses just weren't built with very much storage space, if at all.

Before:

Click to view attachment

Current status:

Click to view attachment
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(djway @ Apr 28 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment
For the type IV motor going into my Notchback I found this 150 amp Alternator. I need to slightly modify the mount so that the pulley lines up better with the fan pulley and I also need to modify the slide mount to compensate for the difference in distance between the mounting holes.
They put the wire lug as a side mount, I guessed wrong and asked for 3 o clock when I should have asked for 9 but there is still plenty of room.
The picture was oriented correctly on my computer but rotated here for some reason.

@djway do you have a build thread going on anywhere for that? I'm working on a conversion for my Squareback right now and would love to see how you're doing it.
djway
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Apr 29 2020, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Apr 28 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@djway do you have a build thread going on anywhere for that? I'm working on a conversion for my Squareback right now and would love to see how you're doing it.

Here is a thread on The Samba https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682005
I don't have anything re the motor yet I don't think. I have two stainless fuel lines in the tunnel so far and that is about it related to motor.
Root_Werks
Learned very fast how important it is to get the HVAC ducting up, sealed and insulated before the R49 and sheetrock go up. Working on that this week. I put some ceiling sheetrock up and it's a PITA to crawl around to install the HVAC ducting.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Learned very fast how important it is to get the HVAC ducting up, sealed and insulated before the R49 and sheetrock go up. Working on that this week. I put some ceiling sheetrock up and it's a PITA to crawl around to install the HVAC ducting.

If you have to crawl around in your attic, the ceiling is too low. poke.gif A 6 ft tall guy could stand up in my attic. The slope starts at about 4 feet off the floor, and at the peak is 20ft up.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 30 2020, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 10:58 AM) *

If you have to crawl around in your attic, the ceiling is too low. poke.gif A 6 ft tall guy could stand up in my attic. The slope starts at about 4 feet off the floor, and at the peak is 20ft up.

To keep the hangar home in the residential category, we stayed a few inches under 20ft on the sides. This means there is a few feet of the ceiling that is vaulted and insulated as a hot roof. You can see in the picture with the building being 50ft wide, the attic starts I think like 10ft in on each side? Something like that. At 5'6", I can stand up only about 3-4ft off the peak before my head knocks something.
Toby
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 07:58 AM) *

Make it easier on yourself. Cut a few sheets of plywood lengthwise and give yourself a center floor to walk (or crawl) on. Don't risk your foot sliding off and going through the ceiling. Future person getting up there will praise you for it.
euro911
We had a narrow 'catwalk' running the length of the house in our attic, but my wife started storing stuff on the (early 1900s) ceiling joists. We finally screwed plywood to a larger area across the joists to spread out the load ... and it helped with reducing earthquake shear too.

Are you in one of those air park, or fly park communities? We looked at some 'aeronautical' home properties up in the Seattle area back in the mid 90s ... decided there were just too many rainy days that we didn't care to deal with pat.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 30 2020, 11:51 AM) *

We had a narrow 'catwalk' running the length of the house in our attic, but my wife started storing stuff on the (early 1900s) ceiling joists. We finally screwed plywood to a larger area across the joists to spread out the load ... and it helped with reducing earthquake shear too.

Are you in one of those air park, or fly park communities? We looked at some 'aeronautical' home properties up in the Seattle area back in the mid 90s ... decided there were just too many rainy days that we didn't care to deal with pat.gif

The Attic above the living space won't need to be accessed unless there is a repair or similar. There will be storage above the section over the Airplane. Pic attached shows the walkway (not done) that's roughly mid way up the 9ft wall. Kinda hard to explain, but the living space (1,000sqft) is only over part of the garage/hangar below which is closer to 2,000sqft.

WFH has provided additional time to work on the living space = yay!

Not an airpark, but our back yard is the runway. Google "FAA WA09".

Root_Werks
Shot from the North side facing South.

draganc
Building a Ducati “tribute” 916 race bike:

Click to view attachment

Eventually it will look like this:

Click to view attachment

Any other Ducati riders around here?
euro911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 01:31 PM) *
The Attic above the living space won't need to be accessed unless there is a repair or similar. There will be storage above the section over the Airplane. Pic attached shows the walkway (not done) that's roughly mid way up the 9ft wall. Kinda hard to explain, but the living space (1,000sqft) is only over part of the garage/hangar below which is closer to 2,000sqft.

OK ... about 60 miles N/W of where we were looking (Frontier Airpark Airport-WN53)

Where are the windows for the living quarters? ... gonna add any dormers?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 30 2020, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 01:31 PM) *

OK ... about 60 miles N/W of where we were looking (Frontier Airpark Airport-WN53)

Where are the windows for the living quarters? ... gonna add any dormers?

Got any pictures of the airplane?

I always wanted to get a Globe Swift and put a Mooney/Porsche engine in it. Then I could have a flying 914-6. biggrin.gif

JOEPROPER
QUOTE(draganc @ Apr 30 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Building a Ducati “tribute” 916 race bike:

Click to view attachment

Eventually it will look like this:

Click to view attachment

Any other Ducati riders around here?

reduc...??
Root_Werks
Here's a pic from July of 2019. It's a 1948 Luscombe I learned to fly in. About a year after passing the check-ride, I bought it off my buddy who got me into flying. He sadly passed away last year, but got to see the results of him poking me to learn and take on the airplane as my own.

Michelle and I are fun day flyer's, after 8 years of flying and 7 years of airplane ownership, only have about 500 hours.
DRPHIL914
this could also go under the category of “why didn’t you work on your 914 today”
but for the past week i have been working on new flooring in our upstairs for the girl’s (2 of 3) rooms. of course this means ripping out carpet that was in when we moved in 9 months ago. which leads to well have to pair first , walls trim etc. then hallway and steps and hall is connected to entry foyer, steps etc so..... the slippery slope!! all painting other than some trim is done and the quarter round has to go in next and i will be done. then i go back to 914 stuff!

the beige paint was old and dingy, new is a off-white or cream that almost looks white unless you look at the ceiling then you can see it’s not. so much brighter now, wide is happy so we’re good!
euro911
Looks gr8, Doc. first.gif ... although I may need to scheduled an appointment with you after spending time looking at the last two pix you posted -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... laugh.gif

We're at a stopping point for the week ... my muscles are sore and my arms are sunburned. You can see one of the places the old roof was leaking into an interior wall (which will also be addressed). We were originally just going to rip off the old shingles and the old planks, re roof it flat with plywood and roll roofing ... but decided WTH - the upgrade will increase the home's valuation, more than double the cost of the remodel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We're going to start demolishing the inside drywall and old, low-hanging rafters on Monday ... then we'll hang new ceiling joists (at 8' AFF) early next week.

Click to view attachment

Thankfully, this is the last room to remodel ... will be glad when it's all finally done popcorn[1].gif

Think I'm gonna shake it up and maybe do something else this weekend ... maybe work on a car or two confused24.gif
Brasil914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 04:03 PM) *

A continuing winter project. Building a trestle for my HO layout. The plywood is where the trestle will be and the shape.

Click to view attachment

Printed some jigs to set the stringer. The stringer is several thin pieces of wood glued together so they can follow the shape. The jigs are held together with track rail so they have a smooth profile.

Click to view attachment

The stringers are made and glued to form the shape desired.

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

this is awesome also a hobby kind of haven't started a table yet. no basements in the Lowcountry of SC
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Brasil914 @ May 1 2020, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 04:03 PM) *

A continuing winter project. Building a trestle for my HO layout. The plywood is where the trestle will be and the shape.

Click to view attachment

Printed some jigs to set the stringer. The stringer is several thin pieces of wood glued together so they can follow the shape. The jigs are held together with track rail so they have a smooth profile.

Click to view attachment

The stringers are made and glued to form the shape desired.

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

this is awesome also a hobby kind of haven't started a table yet. no basements in the Lowcountry of SC

right, i am in the low country too just down the road from you, but i could share a few pictures of our walk in attic space on second floor that looks like my wife is eyeing to finish off for a bonus room/library/study. there is a potential to add about 800sqrft of heated/cooled space... i just want to finish this floor and the steps and like Euro911 i want to get back to car projects! - hey Mark, i know what you mean, i need to take a break my wrists arm and hands are more sore from this than from seeing 50 patients in the office!
euro911
Yeah, but I got a crick in my neck from viewing your pix poke.gif

laugh.gif

I had to start wearing long sleeve shirts - I developed blisters (2nd. degree burns) on my forearms sad.gif ... the sun was brutal last week.

Moved a few vehicles around - positioned the Ghia far back into the driveway with room behind it so I can drop the motor and trans when I get a chance. Have a freshly rebuilt trans, new mounts, and a new clutch & T/O bearing ready to go in. Might install new rear shocks and recondition the CV joints (& install some new boots) while I'm in there idea.gif
rgalla9146
The Speedster was actually in my garage for fifteen years
No sooner was it out and made to run and drive.... then this happened......

Have to fix a noisy mainshaft bearing.

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Toby
MarkS....now your construction makes sense and is well supported. Good work.

I recently put oak hardwood in my dad's house getting it ready to sell. I used screws and had to pre-drill, so probably did it the hardest way possible.

I worked on a Vari-Easy and a few other home-builts, but my dream was Jim Stewart's 70% P-51.

On my Bug project I made the deal for a non running bug and a (supposed to be) running 98 Pontiac Bonneville 3800 series II supercharged that had a tree attack the rear (putting a V to the back window) and only has 70K miles. I get the car to take all parts from and will return it to the salvage man. I'll keep seats, gauge cluster, computer in addition to the engine, tranny, and radiator.

914forme
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Apr 28 2020, 10:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Fuel pump on the Astro went out. Not a fun job, the tank had to be removed to get to the pump. A sigh of relief was had when the key was turned and the sweet sound of the pump priming the engine was heard. And of course the engine fired off immediately. aktion035.gif

Yes, I had one fail right after filling up. Made me think about cutting access in the floor, and bolting a new cover down, that way it would never have to do it again. This was after doing the job twice. We loved our Astros, always wanted to build an AWD model with a Cyclone. or Typhoon engine.

No chance of that now, Wife's daily is an X5M AWD and 550 HP, thing is a rocket. Need a bit more it is just a tune away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.