Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
djway
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2020, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Decided it was time to service/clean out the plasma table. Methinks I shall not wait so long next time!

Forget the table...what's the transaxle ? Chevy something ?

@Toby @rgalla9146

It's a Cayman S PDK, awaiting a kit that allows it to sit behind an LS3.
Complete with launch control, traction control and 2 drive modes. Yes, seriously.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2020, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Decided it was time to service/clean out the plasma table. Methinks I shall not wait so long next time!

Forget the table...what's the transaxle ? Chevy something ?

@Toby @rgalla9146

It's a Cayman S PDK, awaiting a kit that allows it to sit behind an LS3.
Complete with launch control, traction control and 2 drive modes. Yes, seriously.

At a quick glance it looks like a classic Chevy bellhousing pattern
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Zach - Looks great. Your kids grew up. Have fun!

They are growing like weeds.

QUOTE(TonyA @ Jun 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Zach Is that a Smity built camper set up.

Yeah. 4WheelParts owns Smittybilt and has had the XL tents on sale fairly deeply of late while they roll in the new version (announced last month or so).

This whole project started when a storm killed the previous "family" tent during a backyard camp out in April. Suddenly the Roof Top Tents went on sale around Earth Day (4/20) and then went on a bigger sale about 2 weeks later. I decided to order the tent on the Earth Day sale, and 4WP honored their deeper sale price over the hone with me the day before the ten was delivered. Excellent customer service!!!

In Early May I decided I did not want to mount the tent on my 4Runner and have to deal with taking it off and putting it on each time I wanted to use it (the tent is 150 pounds) and I did not want to have to break down camp any time I needed to use the truck for a side adventure. So I started looking at trailers.

I first found an M1101 trailer, the owner was a good guy and I almost bought it but they are HEAVY (1500 lbs for the trailer alone) and a foot wider then my 4Runner. Plus the weight of the tent and the rack I'd need to build, I decided not to buy that.

I found the M416 trailer the very next day. The M416 is still a HD off road utility trailer, but only weighs 600 lbs and was designed to be pulled by Jeeps during Vietnam (though the trailer had been built since WWII as the Bantam, and Korea as the M100). The trailer was only 20 miles from my house, and the seller had 3 people looking to buy it - but they were all an NY and NJ and he did not want them bringing the plague. SO I got my butt over there that day and bought it.

Knowing I have camping trips that have not yet been cancelled coming up in June I've been trying to work on the trailer every night after work. Now the question is: can I get it titled and plated by then? I need to get the lights on it today sometime so that the trailer can be road legal, and then get the title and plates done. We are in a Yellow phase for COVID, and I'm not sure what that means for PENNDOT processing the paperwork.

Zach
euro911
Cool trailer/tent arrangement, Zack first.gif

Got a question though. Does the ladder act as an outrigger, or is it designed to be retracted at night? I ask, because it looks like outriggers might be a good idea to support that overhang ... especially if a significant weight load is place up there confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 2 2020, 01:11 PM) *

Cool trailer/tent arrangement, Zack first.gif

Got a question though. Does the ladder act as an outrigger, or is it designed to be retracted at night? I ask, because it looks like outriggers might be a good idea to support that overhang ... especially if a significant weight load is place up there confused24.gif

It is structural. you don't want to try and retract the ladder overnight. The tent won't collapse if the ladder isn't there, but it will wear out a lot faster and you will be over stressing the tent fabric. The ladder is bolted to the platform with a hinge and is really stable once in place.

Zach
euro911
thumb3d.gif

Still trying to stay ahead of the rainy season. Luckily, we only had one very light rain so far and it's been hot and sunny, so everything is dry and no water damage ... however, the main priority is to get the roof done asap. My friend Greg finished helping with the structural carpentry, so I've been working alone to get this finished up.

Getting the felt paper installed ... and flashing of course. I might need some assistance from a pro when it comes to weaving the new roof shingles into the existing roof shingles, as well as the two valleys that will be created by the cricket confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Pay no attention to the trim at the back screen door area. It was just secured there to help position the new siding ... it will get all new 1x4" trim in time shades.gif

Taking a quick break now beer3.gif ... hoping for some cloud cover this afternoon popcorn[1].gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that same day ... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
BillC
Almost two years ago, I bought a used Spec Boxster (SPB) race car. The previous owners had put a switch panel in the dash, and I added a couple of switches to it, but I was never really happy with it. Plus, I decided I really didn't like the red switch covers, but wanted something to protect the switches from accidental ons or offs.

Here's the original panel:
Click to view attachment

So, I decided to make a new panel.

First, I cut a piece out of some leftover delrin and sized it in the mill:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I drilled the hole for the coolshirt switch and cut the squarish hole for the defrost button first, by hand. Then, I used the mill to drill holes for the toggle switches spaced evenly in between. I decided to drill holes for four switches, even though I'm currently using only two, just in case I need to add some in the future. I took advantage of the DRO to make sure everything was properly aligned.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

So, here's the new panel with all the holes drilled and the surface sanded with 400 grit. Also, the extra holes around the toggle switches will be explained later.
Click to view attachment

I also used new stainless steel button head screws to mount the panel, with a coat of flat black paint. The trick to painting small screws is to take a piece of cardboard and cut small x's in it with an x-acto knife -- then just push a screw into each x and the cardboard will hold the screws in place.
Click to view attachment

Now comes the reason for the extra holes around the toggle switches -- switch guards! The guards are made from 3/16" aluminum tubing, bent using a decent tubing bender. I made six guards, so I had a spare just in case.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Next is cutting all the guards to the same length. First step was to make a jig to hold the guards, by milling slots into a block of wood for the jig. Then, each guard gets run through the mill to be sized.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Then, the guards need to be modified so they can be mounted. Fortunately, the hole in the tubing is just the right size to be tapped for 6-32 screws. This turned out to be the biggest pain-in-the-butt step, since there were 12 holes to tap.
Click to view attachment

Here's the initial mounting of the guards:
Click to view attachment

Here's the final product; painted, labelled and mounted back in the car:
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That looks very nice. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

That looks very nice. beerchug.gif

Nope, I have to disagree... That looks frickin' AWESOME!
Mike D.
Here's Mine!
1973 Tintop Westie interior update!

Start to Finish.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif beer3.gif
tygaboy
There, that's better! All cleaned out and fresh anti-corrosive in the water table.
euro911
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jun 3 2020, 02:32 PM) *
Here's Mine!
1973 Tintop Westie interior update!

Start to Finish.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif beer3.gif

Nice, Mike drooley.gif
euro911
The cricket is almost done ... will finish it up tomorrow - then sheathing, more felt paper, flashing, etc. and hopefully get this thing shingled tomorrow too. A friend is coming by to help with that smash.gif

Click to view attachment

... also found the shifter problem with the Cayman. One of the cable end sockets popped off one of the linkage ball joints. I popped it back on and temporarily secured it with some zip-ties. Will replace the cables at a later date, when I have more 'spare' time.

Click to view attachment
ssuperflyoldguy
"new" C-125 to go with the C-81 - factory attachments: Rototiller, mower deck & front blade.

I think the 8hp C-81 will go to a home with a smaller yard.Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Fun with wiring, my new fuse block was installed and a few (3) wires remained flopping in the car.

I had to determine which fuse they go to and re-install. No wonder my directionals and high beam switching didn't work.....?

Click to view attachment
flyer86d
Two projects rolled out of the garage under their own power. First is the family wagon, a 1992 MB 300TE 4matic that pushed its head gasket out caused by the water pump seizing back in October 2011 while my daughter was driving. I stored it first in my shop and brought it home in 2015 when I sold the shop. The replacement engine was already in the car but not plumbed. So, I plumbed the engine, installed rebuilt front axles, new ball joints, brake rotors, changed the transfer case and rebuilt the drive shaft.

Second is the $260 motorcycle that I bought last October. It had sat for 4 years so I got it running on AV gas, changed the carb diaphragms, rebuilt the rear brake and clutch master cylinders, resealed the front forks and replaced the 19 year old tires. It’s not a show piece but I really don’t care. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
euro911
Yesterday, my friend Henry, came by to help, since roofing isn't my forte. The cricket sheathing, sealing & felt paper took longer than planned, but we got it done ... we start on the shingles tomorrow smile.gif ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
House/garage work looks great

Finally got this off to a place I can finish cleaning and painting the engine bay, going to leave the exterior scruffy but there’s a fresh numbers matching engine in fuel injection system ready to go in once I do the five speed swap.

Click to view attachment
euro911
drooley.gif
Cairo94507
Always loved the Tii. Had a good friend in school with one and it was a great car.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 6 2020, 08:05 AM) *

Always loved the Tii. Had a good friend in school with one and it was a great car.

@Cairo94507 - never heard anyone every say "had one, it was just OK", people seem to have a sweet spot for them. Have the original engine back from a rebuild and the K-pump back from rebuild and a 5 speed ready to go in, engine bay getting painted and then assembly time (will be cosmetically scruffy but want to drive her before exterior paint).

Hope you are doing well!
Driver174
QUOTE(Driver174 @ Apr 3 2020, 08:53 AM) *

This is taking much longer and more work than anticipated, but it's moving forward.

Click to view attachment

New 914rubber.com LED head lamps:

Click to view attachment

Installing dash cover:

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
That looks like a great build @Driver174
ClayPerrine
Love the Brumos inspired paint.
euro911
Took a break on Friday to take care of other biz, so Saturday a couple friends showed up and we knocked out the roof. I'll bet you folks are as happy as I am to have this done laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next project: replace some dry-rotted fascia and rework the improperly installed drip edge on my rental house dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Don't worry - won't bore y'all with more pix laugh.gif
Jett
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 9 2020, 05:44 PM) *

Took a break on Friday to take care of other biz, so Saturday a couple friends showed up and we knocked out the roof. I'll bet you folks are as happy as I am to have this done laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next project: replace some dry-rotted fascia and rework the improperly installed drip edge on my rental house dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Don't worry - won't bore y'all with more pix laugh.gif

One final picture with it all cleaned up and complete, is in order.
euro911
laugh.gif
Andyrew
Stucco on the underside of a overhang? blink.gif
euro911
Yep. It's not that uncommon out here confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
djway
Tracked down what each wire in the harness went to and labeled each connection. I then mounted the dual relay, resistor pack and a junction for power.
Prior to that I had discovered that I could not get the injectors and runners in the Notchback due to bodywork so I cut out sections, formed new panels and welded them in.
I will repaint the areas next.
Click to view attachment
Jett
Fixing brake warning sensors on 79 928. PO bypassed brake pad warning sensors and it turned out to be a bad connection.

@JeffBowlsby Jeff do you have a main harness to brake warning sensor plug?
JeffBowlsby
Nope. sorry.
andrewb
[quote name='euro911' date='Jun 4 2020, 04:59 AM' post='2821864']
The cricket is almost done ...

Click to view attachment

Mark - couple of quick questions. Speaking from the otherside of the pond where 'cricket' is either a sport or an insect, I'm intrigued by the fact that this elegant bit of woodwork has the same name.

Any idea why ? Or is is it 'just one of those things' ? And what's it's purpose - would the rainwater not drain off just as well without it ? Is it purely aesthetic ?

Thanks, Andrew.
Spoke
Lockdown is over in PA. I finally got to hang with my 2 year old grandson and we both got haircuts.

rgalla9146
[quote name='andrewb' date='Jun 18 2020, 02:07 AM' post='2826086']
[quote name='euro911' date='Jun 4 2020, 04:59 AM' post='2821864']

Click to view attachment

Mark - couple of quick questions. Speaking from the otherside of the pond where 'cricket' is either a sport or an insect, I'm intrigued by the fact that this elegant bit of woodwork has the same name.

Any idea why ? Or is is it 'just one of those things' ? And what's it's purpose - would the rainwater not drain off just as well without it ? Is it purely aesthetic ?

Thanks, Andrew.
[/quote]

It is to create a path for water off the roof. Without it water would puddle.
Puddles are not good.
Google provides no info on how it was named.
KSCarrera
Been using the time to do all those little jobs you put off, like cleaning up under the hood of the Renault R4... Unrestored and zero rust.

Meet 34hp of French muscle! piratenanner.gif

IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 18 2020, 06:24 AM) *

Lockdown is over in PA. I finally got to hang with my 2 year old grandson and we both got haircuts.

I heard that. Finally got my "ears lowered" and my "face mowed" last Thursday. I felt almost human again. beerchug.gif
euro911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 18 2020, 07:09 AM) *
QUOTE(andrewb @ Jun 18 2020, 02:07 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 4 2020, 04:59 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Mark - couple of quick questions. Speaking from the other side of the pond where 'cricket' is either a sport or an insect, I'm intrigued by the fact that this elegant bit of woodwork has the same name.

Thanks, Andrew.
It is to create a path for water off the roof. Without it water would puddle.
Puddles are not good.
Google provides no info on how it was named.
Correct, it provides two additional valleys at higher angles to redirect water flow.

The new gable roof tied into the adjacent existing gable roof creating what's known as a dead valley at the the apex where water would pool.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I've always heard them called crickets, but apparently they're called saddles in some areas. I call it 'Jiminy Cricket' ... it's like having an umbrella shades.gif

Click to view attachment
andrewb
OK thanks for reply. I understand why it's needed now from that last pic.

Root_Werks
Things locally are starting to open back up (Phase 2), but still working from home and even being furloughed a few days a month. Still, more time to keep working on the hangar/home.

Got this done this week, 15ft ceilings at the tallest. Could not have done this without scaffolds. Stuff on the left is the Type X fire rated which is thicker and heavy!

euro911
I don't have nearly the amount of drywalling to do on my project, but still dreading doing the ceiling. Years ago, a helper lost grip and dropped a full sheet of type-X 5/8" on my head, crunching my neck sad.gif
Jett
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 19 2020, 11:22 AM) *

I don't have nearly the amount of drywalling to do on my project, but still dreading doing the ceiling. Years ago, a helper lost grip and dropped a full sheet of type-X 5/8" on my head, crunching my neck sad.gif

That is terrible. We rented a drywall hoist/jack from HomeDepot for the day.
sb914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 19 2020, 11:22 AM) *

. Years ago, a helper lost grip and dropped a full sheet of type-X 5/8" on my head, crunching my neck sad.gif

That explains a lot! poke.gif ar15.gif
euro911
No shit, Eddy ... laugh.gif

Well, installed a second window in the breezeway and continued with some tedious trim work sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif ...

Click to view attachment

Also, changed the oil and repainted the fenders on the little mini-50 pit bike ... taking it camping next week ... biker.gif

Click to view attachment
Carbon-14
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Jun 18 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Been using the time to do all those little jobs you put off, like cleaning up under the hood of the Renault R4... Unrestored and zero rust.

Meet 34hp of French muscle! piratenanner.gif

Wow !
C'est magnifique.
Dash shifter, an elegant solution.
Unobtanium-inc
Max and I extended the go-kart track today, took out the dangerous curve where we had flipped the kart twice, the last time on my leg! New track works great, and Max managed to get on top of the hay bales!
euro911
That's cool.

How much more space do you have to extend the track even further? ... and put some right hand turns in it? driving.gif
rgalla9146
Have a cute bistro set but ....glass table top was broken by a fallen limb...what to do ?
Have some spare wide boards from my bakers rack project....
Bingo ! a few C clamps, two furniture clamps, sqeeze some Elmers... Voila!

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 20 2020, 03:17 PM) *

That's cool.

How much more space do you have to extend the track even further? ... and put some right hand turns in it? driving.gif

I've taken it as far down the hill as I can, and I can't go much higher because the hill gets very steep. I plan to do more inner cross-overs once my son gets better, he just soloed about a month ago so we're still getting the hang of it. I ordered a 2nd kart which should be here in a couple of weeks, then the real fun begins!!!
Driver174
Getting closer...
Click to view attachment

Thank you 914 Rubber @Mikey914 for all of your new rubber seals, and products for our old 914's.

Thank you AutoAtlanta @dr914 @autoatlanta.com for supporting our vintage cars, and suppling new parts for them.

Thank you Spoke @Spoke for the LED lighting upgrades for our 914's.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.