Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
R1200rider
Gussied up the tire billboards with a paint pen, giving her a boy racer factor of 10 and several horsepower. biggrin.gif Tinted the fog lamps too. Sorry about the misaligned photo...
ClayPerrine
A few years ago we bought an old Gramaphone case at the antique store. It was completely missing the gramaphone guts. We didn't know what to do with it, but we liked the appearance.

Click to view attachment

Fast forward to the lockdown. I finally decided what it needed.

I took the old Kenwood turntable I had since high school and disassembled it. I then transfered the pattern from the original case to a new wood board, stained it, and mounted all the pieces in it.

Click to view attachment

Here is the components from my high school stereo system inside the case.

Click to view attachment

I am now building a shelf for inside that will support everything but the cassette deck and still leave room for albums in the bottom of the case.

The first song has to be this:

View on YouTube

euro911
QUOTE(R1200rider @ Jul 5 2020, 01:00 PM) *
Gussied up the tire billboards with a paint pen, giving her a boy racer factor of 10 and several horsepower. biggrin.gif Tinted the fog lamps too. Sorry about the misaligned photo...
Striking color on your car aktion035.gif

IPB Image

Looks like you might have some drywall repair to do to the ceiling in your spare time too? idea.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 18 2020, 06:24 AM) *

Lockdown is over in PA. I finally got to hang with my 2 year old grandson and we both got haircuts.

Look like a couple of "LED" twins to me..... wink.gif
Cairo94507
@ClayPerrine What did you do for ventilation in the cabinet for the components and the albums? beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 6 2020, 07:42 AM) *

@ClayPerrine What did you do for ventilation in the cabinet for the components and the albums? beerchug.gif

Nothing yet. I haven't even tested the components in there. But I intend to run it with the doors open. If I have to, I will add a fan on the rear that turns on and off with the components. But I don't think that will happen, this is analog 1980s tech, and they don't generate a lot of heat. There aren't even any vents in the equalizer, and the receiver doesn't have a fan.

Clay

Jett
Took the Bamberg radio out of our 77 911S and sent it to Germany for refurbishment. Oldtimer-Radio. Radio is back and installing this week. Was not cheap to fix but VintageBlau could not fix it.

Sending two more radios this week, blaupunkt heidelberg and 73 Frankfurt. The Heidelberg tuner is shot but found another and the Frankfurt becomes all static after five minutes of playing.
flat4guy
Painted the rockers while waiting for my seats to be doneClick to view attachment
flat4guy
Then got the seats doneClick to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 5 2020, 03:22 PM) *

A few years ago we bought an old Gramaphone case at the antique store. It was completely missing the gramaphone guts. We didn't know what to do with it, but we liked the appearance.

Click to view attachment

Fast forward to the lockdown. I finally decided what it needed.

I took the old Kenwood turntable I had since high school and disassembled it. I then transfered the pattern from the original case to a new wood board, stained it, and mounted all the pieces in it.

Click to view attachment

Here is the components from my high school stereo system inside the case.

Click to view attachment

I am now building a shelf for inside that will support everything but the cassette deck and still leave room for albums in the bottom of the case.

The first song has to be this:

<object width="475" height="297"><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMpW2dBeeUg&showsearch=0&rel=0&fs=1&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22" name="movie" /><param value="window" name="wmode" /><param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /><embed width="475" height="297" wmode="window" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMpW2dBeeUg&showsearch=0&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D22"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpW2dBeeUg&fmt=22" target="_blank">View on YouTube</a>

You are right in time with the revival of LP's, and wipe on a coat of MinWax Wiping Poly to renew the finish on that cabinet.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(R1200rider @ Jul 5 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Beautiful car.......and a R1200 too !
.....and Minilites !
ClayPerrine
Our other project during this time:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rebuilding a fence in Texas in July is really hot, sweaty work. So we start at 7am, and finish at 11. We do 4 panels at a time. We have done 8 fence panels so far, we have 3 more to do on this section. We have to do the one panel on the back section before we can finish the last panel on the side due to the way it attaches. The back portion will be easy, the bolts face us. One bright spot is that the back panels will be in the shade due to the big tree in the neighbor's yard.

The worst part of the whole process is cutting up and disposing of the old fence sections. They are rotted and falling apart.

Betty sure is having fun with her sawsall though!! sawzall-smiley.gif

We figure a couple of months of Saturday morning work and we will have a new fence.
Mcraneiowa
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 03:04 PM) *

Ties are glued in.

Click to view attachment

Assembling the bents using the same shape as the track. I made these bents over 25 years ago and never used them...Until now.

Click to view attachment

All I can say is wow! That is impressive.
euro911
QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Jul 20 2020, 09:01 AM) *
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 03:04 PM) *
Ties are glued in.

IPB Image

Assembling the bents using the same shape as the track. I made these bents over 25 years ago and never used them...Until now.

IPB Image
All I can say is wow!

That is impressive.

This was the railroad station in Evans City, PA where I was born. The passenger station was on the north side of PA68 on the east side of the tracks. The station sat on a platform over Breakneck Creek (at GPS: 40.768980, -80.064136). According to B&O valuation records, the station was built in 1905. It was supposedly noted by Ripley's 'Believe It Or Not' to be the only railroad station in the world to be built over water.

Click to view attachment

The station was demolished by the railroad around 1980 as it was rotting away, and only part of the platform remains as of 2014.

Click to view attachment

Interestingly, someone built a scale RXR model of the station. In any event, I thought it was cool, and if I ever have enough free time available, I'd like to build a scale model of it too ... probably 'N' gauge or maybe H.O. guage. I think it would be tough to build it 'Z' gauge, although I might give it a try confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
djway
Click to view attachment
Repairing broken wires for a resistor pack and an old Notchback push button panel.
ndfrigi
Hope after this 986 I can go back to my 914 project.

Last week Installed new front lower control arms, replaced bushing for control link, new tires and alignment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mcraneiowa
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This was at my wife’s request. Designed and built out of walnut and steel.
djway
QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Aug 5 2020, 08:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This was at my wife’s request. Designed and built out of walnut and steel.

Nice, I like the detail at the bottom of the legs. Can't go wrong with Walnut.
euro911
Been making slow, but steady progress on the remodel. Replaced the [not wide enough] siding pieces and the trim above the screen door a few weeks ago ...

Click to view attachment

Temporarily installed the west (back bathroom) window, so we didn't have to look at a big sheet of plywood while taking a - uh, well you know ... stromberg.gif ... rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

... also built my second ever window casing. This window is on the north side of the laundry room. I demolished the 70-year-old windows and framed for the new one,

Click to view attachment

... installed insulation and more Tyvek before putting up some more siding. This window casing was somewhat easier to construct because it's a fixed window. Measuring and cutting the redwood sill's angles was the most difficult part ... had to dig out my trusty old table saw for this job.

Click to view attachment

... then revisited the west (back bathroom) window today. Removed some temporarily-installed components, then cut the correct angles in the sides of the casing with a Sawzall, then measured (3x) and made the necessary cuts to the new sill ...

Click to view attachment

... and, 'viola'.

Click to view attachment

There's some minor adjustments needed ... I didn't allow for the sill angle when I built the casing, so I'll have to trim 1/2" off the bottom of the lower sash for the two sashes to line up in the middle and lock, so it's a little too early to pat myself on the back just yet - lol.
Root_Werks
Still taking as much advantage of WFH as possible. I don't waste a minute, work through lunch and breaks, as soon as 4:29PM hits, computer off and work on the living space. It's come a long way in the past month.

Was only three weeks ago a buddy of mine came out and we mud/taped, textured everything. I had every room painted within 3 days after that.

rhodyguy
Cleaned and applied Cabot 3000 Natural to the deck. A few boards on the 22 y.o. steps were rotted. 'While you're in there...'. Wrapped it up before the rain. Planted 9 new coneflowers.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 5 2020, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(R1200rider @ Jul 5 2020, 01:00 PM) *
Striking color on your car aktion035.gif

IPB Image

Looks like you might have some drywall repair to do to the ceiling in your spare time too? idea.gif

only leaks when it rains
euro911
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 6 2020, 12:00 PM) *

IPB Image

only leaks when it rains
laugh.gif ... That's what precipitated my remodel project shades.gif
ClayPerrine
So today I finally got our 95 BMW 540i back up and running. She was off the road for 7 years due to the fact that there was a recall on the engine block that was never done. So piston rings for her were completely unobtainium. I have 7 sets of rings for a V-8. I looked for years... and in March Betty and I finally broke down and bought a used motor from a 96 740i. Lots of work getting it installed and running. Today I finished up the brake installation and bleeding (Many thanks to PMB for the caliper rebuilds), and she finally moved under her own power. We then washed off 7 years of dirt and grime, and I took her and got her inspected. As the inspector pulled her out of the bay, the left headlight lens fell off. biggrin.gif He had already done the paperwork, so she still passed inspection.

Click to view attachment

The paint looks like crap. This is her bad side. Before she blew the head gasket, the clear coat was going away due to a bad batch from the factory. As soon as Betty's 914 is out of the body shop, she will be going in to get a full repaint and a fix of the minor ding in the right front fender.

I will say this... when tires sit for 7 years, they end up square. I just ordered a new set from Tire Rack, and when they come in, I will take her and get the tires mounted and an alignment.

I am beyond pleased that she is back up and running. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
rgalla9146
Liberated my traditional '32 Ford Hot Rod from long term (15 yrs !) storage to assess
and prepare to sell. Very sad
This project is dear to me. But if I can muster the energy for another
car it has to be the '69 911 S that I've had just as long.
TravisNeff
Been chipping away at My wife's new targa. It is up and running and added in a carrera cooler and fan setup.

The car had replica d90's with early offsets (16x7 & 16x9). Anway's Jen was saying she wanted some fuchs. As a joke I put one on from the 914. I kinda like the look, so I put all 4 on for the time being. I am running square 16x7 and 205x55 all around. I am going to add some spacers I found in my parts stash in the rear and run it like this until I get my spare 16x8 refinished. Trying to track down the same green as the powder coated 7's.

Took it out on a shakedown run in 112 degree heat on some twisty roads up to tortilla flats. The cooler works great. The car is very fun to drive with the coilovers
maf914
R1200rider, Your car looks great. I like the green. What type eight spoke wheel are you using? Who sells them? Thanks.
Retroracer
Finished refurbishing 3 of these VDO oil pressure/temp gauges at the weekend; the idea being to pair up with some upcoming modified 10K tachs, and sell as a package deal, to those who want to get as close to a GT build as possible. German fascia and metric scales; tested and cal'ed movements. Coming to a GT (or 911, if you must) dashboard near you soon....

- Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(R1200rider @ Jul 5 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Man that wheel /tire combo is outatanding !
And the color too !
914forme
@R1200rider I like the car, I want to know how you like the Trailer

Futura, shades.gif you have excellent choice, single axle or dual? Like to know the ins and outs as they are on my short list.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Aug 19 2020, 01:03 PM) *

Been chipping away at My wife's new targa. It is up and running and added in a carrera cooler and fan setup.

The car had replica d90's with early offsets (16x7 & 16x9). Anway's Jen was saying she wanted some fuchs. As a joke I put one on from the 914. I kinda like the look, so I put all 4 on for the time being. I am running square 16x7 and 205x55 all around. I am going to add some spacers I found in my parts stash in the rear and run it like this until I get my spare 16x8 refinished. Trying to track down the same green as the powder coated 7's.

Took it out on a shakedown run in 112 degree heat on some twisty roads up to tortilla flats. The cooler works great. The car is very fun to drive with the coilovers

Nice!! The 911 version of Brutus??
djway
Thanks Oscar
Click to view attachment
flyer86d
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 14 2020, 09:46 PM) *

Liberated my traditional '32 Ford Hot Rod from long term (15 yrs !) storage to assess

Rory,

You’re killing me! I built up a 29 Ford Roadster traditional rod which I sold to buy the race car which I sold a couple of years ago to fund the 68 911 project. Small world.

Charlie
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 19 2020, 09:09 PM) *

Looking good beerchug.gif

Oscar
rgalla9146
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Sep 20 2020, 03:36 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 14 2020, 09:46 PM) *

Rory,

You’re killing me! I built up a 29 Ford Roadster traditional rod which I sold to buy the race car which I sold a couple of years ago to fund the 68 911 project. Small world.

Charlie

Here's another.
The car has only vintage speed parts.
This is my favorite, a Halibrand 201 quick change rear.
Allows final drive ratio change in just a few minutes.
markhoward
Finally got the bumpers installed on the Lincoln. Shout out to @ValcoOscar for including the rear one during his big bumper group buy!
djway
Click to view attachment
Finally welded on flange for muffler, and put a stainless tip on it.
This allowed me to put in the O2 wide band. I also hooked up a fuel pressure gauge. With those two items in place I was able to get it to idle within minutes.
Now on to fine tune.
Out of the blue it sounds like a belt is screeching bad.
At least I took more steps forward today.
I must say this muffler sounds really good.
euro911
Can't wait to see all these projects finished drooley.gif
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 9 2020, 06:18 PM) *

So today I finally got our 95 BMW 540i back up and running. She was off the road for 7 years due to the fact that there was a recall on the engine block that was never done. So piston rings for her were completely unobtainium. I have 7 sets of rings for a V-8. I looked for years... and in March Betty and I finally broke down and bought a used motor from a 96 740i. Lots of work getting it installed and running. Today I finished up the brake installation and bleeding (Many thanks to PMB for the caliper rebuilds), and she finally moved under her own power. We then washed off 7 years of dirt and grime, and I took her and got her inspected. As the inspector pulled her out of the bay, the left headlight lens fell off. biggrin.gif He had already done the paperwork, so she still passed inspection.

Click to view attachment

The paint looks like crap. This is her bad side. Before she blew the head gasket, the clear coat was going away due to a bad batch from the factory. As soon as Betty's 914 is out of the body shop, she will be going in to get a full repaint and a fix of the minor ding in the right front fender.

I will say this... when tires sit for 7 years, they end up square. I just ordered a new set from Tire Rack, and when they come in, I will take her and get the tires mounted and an alignment.

I am beyond pleased that she is back up and running. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Clay is the 540 manual trans? I had a friend with a 540 that was and a really fun car.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 3 2020, 08:09 AM) *

Clay is the 540 manual trans? I had a friend with a 540 that was and a really fun car.

Nope. She is an automatic. It is still a fun car. Wonderful freeway cruiser. It was really nice having a car with an auto trans when I had a broken collarbone. I could drive the BMW, but I had to park the 914.

I put a new expansion valve in the AC today. It wouldn't have taken so long if the Bently manual was correct. Following the directions in the manual, I disassembled most of the interior, only to find I just needed to remove the glove box, and some trim covers. headbang.gif Tomorrow I will get the AC charged and the right hand headlight assembly back in. That will take care of all of the lingering issues with the car.

andrewb
I'm doing a full strip and rebuild on this at the moment.

Click to view attachment

This is how it arrived !
Bleyseng
Finished my basement apartment
Retroracer
WIP

- Tony

Click to view attachment
Jett
Got our LS7 running for the first time ... not a P car but a 67 Nova Wagon smile.gif

https://attachment.broadly.com/f2a0b20e30cd...56_original.mov
rhodyguy
VERY cool. Seems quiet. Perfect. You told me about that car when you came down for the lid. You bringing it north? Pro Mod suspension? I would get tickets in that vehicle.
Jett
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2020, 12:18 PM) *

VERY cool. Seems quiet. Perfect. You told me about that car when you came down for the lid. You bringing it north? Pro Mod suspension? I would get tickets in that vehicle.

That is the one my friend, just upgraded the motor over time (no room for the ProCharger). Vehicle is in Puyallup getting squared away smile.gif almost done. Art Morrison Senior created a one-off frame for the Wagon, but did not see the car before he passed.
rhodyguy
Swing by on the way home.
Jett
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Swing by on the way home.

You’ll have to come over because she will be on a trailer... The garage will be done in a few months smile.gif
Mueller
Made a handle for my old Snap On tool box. I've had this for over 20 years and it never had a handle.

Made the side supports from scrap aluminum and the tube is from an old mop. Press fit so it won't spin or come off.

Click to view attachment
914e
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 6 2020, 01:06 PM) *

Made a handle for my old Snap On tool box. I've had this for over 20 years and it never had a handle.

Made the side supports from scrap aluminum and the tube is from an old mop. Press fit so it won't spin or come off.

Click to view attachment

Wow that is an old Snap On box, I though mine was old. Well it was new when I bought it. Now we are both old. I think my roll around is holding up better then me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.