Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast Wrenching Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
RS22b
ok. read most of the first page and wasnt goin to read on, haha.

I'd be interested in meeting and possibly helping out a bit. Didnt realize there were so many 914 nuts so close.

_billy
ptravnic
QUOTE(RS22b @ Aug 22 2006, 12:40 PM) *

I'd be interested in meeting and possibly helping out a bit. Didnt realize there were so many 914 nuts so close.

_billy

Hooray Billy! You'll be sure to have a good time, if nothing else you'll feel better about yourself after meeting some of us lunatics... You lunatics know who you are...

happy11.gif sheeplove.gif

ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 21 2006, 09:33 PM) *

Need a laptop with internet access and a dvd player for when things get tricky.

Mission accomplished. I just ordered the Type 4 rebuild DVD version (still have the old VHS copy) and got the shipping info from Jake's store. I'll have a laptiop and the DVD on hand!

-pt
turboman808
Looks like we are gonna have a small army there. I mentioned to Tom who I sold some parts to that you are doing the rebuild. He mentioned rebuilding a 1.8 over the winter so maybe he may poke his head in as well.

If I have my bumpers I may try to bring my car down and someone can help me with the starter. I doubt I am gonna have them though. sad.gif

But in the mean time I got my parts ready to do my custom exhaust. Gonna wrap the whole dam thing from the headers to the tips. Then paint is with black silicon paint. Gonna look bitchin and be quieter!
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 22 2006, 03:33 PM) *

But in the mean time I got my parts ready to do my custom exhaust. Gonna wrap the whole dam thing from the headers to the tips. Then paint is with black silicon paint. Gonna look bitchin and be quieter!

I thought louder cars were faster? biggrin.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 22 2006, 11:43 AM) *

I thought louder cars were faster? biggrin.gif

Yeah funny how that works. Motors screaming like a banshee and you look down and your doing 55. piratenanner.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 22 2006, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jet1 @ Aug 22 2006, 10:10 AM) *

I am going to try and make it down on Saturday.

Keith

Hoo-ray Keith! I'm saying that in the Jamaican accent from the Red Stripe commercial's (Hoo-ray beer!).

RED STRIPE - If I am going to spend the day working on a car I need BEER!!!
Don't worry I will bring my own beer.gif
nycchef

[/quote]

thats a no-no ronnie doesn't want beer at the shop. i will try to knock out some ribs. seems like a lot of people are coming. but i'll try if i'm not too busy trying to find an engine poke.gif
ptravnic
Good to hear from ya. I'm not sure the shop is going to be cool w/beer in the shop - liabilities and the such... confused24.gif sad.gif

BTW Leo, thx for the lead on KOS. They're taking care of my beetle - who'd a thunk brake pads can fall off... mad.gif
ptravnic
[quote name='nycchef' date='Aug 22 2006, 04:18 PM' post='757760']
[/quote]

thats a no-no ronnie doesn't want beer at the shop. i will try to knock out some ribs. seems like a lot of people are coming. but i'll try if i'm not too busy trying to find an engine poke.gif
[/quote]

agree.gif

Me thinks we could find a local spot afterward to throw a couple back...
turboman808
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 22 2006, 12:18 PM) *

You guys got a grill there? If not I have an extra one. It's still in really good shape.
Leo Imperial
No problem with the beer thing. I can respect that. Just meet me at the bar when you guys are done f--kin with the heads biggrin.gif
nycchef
nate good idea about the grill. is it a regular grill or did you build it out. too much power will burn the food.
drewvw

damn I was really hoping to make it down for this one but alas I can't...college buddies are in town and I am on-call for the hosptial (Dr. Evil you know all about that buzzkill)

Boooo oncall weekend

Hooraaaay beer!
nycchef
[quote name='drewvw' date='Aug 22 2006, 12:49 PM' post='757790']
damn I was really hoping to make it down for this one but alas I can't...college buddies are in town and I am on-call for the hosptial (Dr. Evil you know all about that buzzkill)

too bad drew i was hoping to meet you. busy time in boston hospitals? heard about a loty of suicide attemps this weekend. anything bad happen up there the last 3 or 4 days. sorry new york humor.

drewvw

normally...that kind of talk would make me mad but red sox nation has pretty much written off the season. Yankees are a much better team this year...at twice the price. biggrin.gif

seriously I liked their deadline deals and "the kids" (as we call them in boston) aren't ready yet. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we got sucked in by the good first half.

end of rant sorry.....you fellas will meet me, don't worry. you should have gone to the Litchfield show!

RS22b
doesnt look like i will be able to come this weekend. My 914 might finally be home, but wont be in any kind of driving shape unfortunatly.

I still need to do the brakes and mount and balance a set of tires and then an alignment. + the lady wants to go up to the house in the 1k lakes.

maybe another time for sure though.

g/l
_billy

ptravnic
2 days til wrenches turn again...

Shameless icon_bump.gif
Leo Imperial
Should I bring this???
ptravnic
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 23 2006, 02:51 PM) *

Should I bring this???

No need. We'll be using the good Dr Evil's 6 sided bolts upon install.

Giddy Up!
Leo Imperial
Then should I bring this???
ptravnic
Leo ----> sheeplove.gif screwy.gif

wink.gif
type11969
I didn't know sheep knew how to drive a dirt bike. Interesting. I think I would be a little nervous hitching a ride with one though. I guess with a beard and a hat like that, I wouldn't be scared of much.
drewvw

we are just now discovering the sheeps raw abilities in motorcycling. For example, I believe a sheep won this year's Motorcross events at the X Games...
type11969
Oh, right, I completely forgot about that. I think his name was Harold or something like that.
turboman808
Are you guys starting the rebuild Friday or Saturday?

Man I wish I had mine running at the moment. Haven't driven in 3 weeks and it's the middle of summer wtf is wrong with me.
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 23 2006, 05:08 PM) *

Man I wish I had mine running at the moment. Haven't driven in 3 weeks and it's the middle of summer wtf is wrong with me.

Going to start the engine teardown on Fri. Gonna try to stick w/the schedule posted a page or so back in this thread. It's generous for any of you to give a few hours of your time, I certainly don't expect everyone to spend Fri eve and Sat working on this stuff - but the more the merrier!

-pt
rmital
....I'll definitely see you around 6:00 Friday Pete...I might be there earlier. Give me a call on my cell if your in the area earlier.
Leo Imperial

What's wrong with your sheep??? confused24.gif
Dr Evil

Oh, Boo Hoo. "Mine hasn't run in three weeks."

Bah, mine hasnt moved under its own power in about 3 years dry.gif

You, my friend, are fortunate. Do not let it sit, it will grow roots wink.gif driving.gif

Leo, I thought you were more the dog named Elvis kind of guy? Sheep, Ahhhh, lanolin...

Back to lymphomas clap56.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 23 2006, 07:40 PM) *

What's wrong with your sheep??? confused24.gif

Mainly no bumpers. biggrin.gif
Not gonna be here til next week. I really got to change the starter though. Wish I could have brought it down because I don't see the top bolt at all.
Dr Evil
The top bolt sticks into the engine compartment where you need to remove it from. Many time (not sure if always) the tranny has a notch to hold the nut to keep it from spinning while you are tightening the bolt. A magnetic wrench works nice in this situation.
i love porsche
i would like to come friday night but i have work starting at 4, and im in dire need of cash, but ill be there saturday
type11969
Curious if we are going to grab some grub Friday night . . . will make a difference when I show up. Definitely willing to pitch in, just gotta eat at some point!

-Chris
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Aug 24 2006, 11:21 AM) *

Curious if we are going to grab some grub Friday night . . . will make a difference when I show up. Definitely willing to pitch in, just gotta eat at some point!

-Chris

Pizza joint a block away. Happy to order from there Fri night...

-pt
ptravnic
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 22 2006, 09:36 AM) *

Friday (prob about a 6pm start) is open for whoever has interest. I'll need to pick up my beetle in Montclair before heading to Lyndhurst (who'd a thunk a brake pad could just *fall out* and grind the flanges on the calliper into the rotor...?).

Saturday will depend a little bit on how late Fri night runs but prob safe going with a planned 10am start.

Based on what needs to be done, Fri night will likely involve the removal of FI, sheet metal, and heads. Then inspect the cylinders/rings & the removed heads (damaged valve?). The rest will be taken care of on Sat...

"While it's out" stuff is rather minimal happy11.gif
-Batter tray could use a few spot welds - hell hole is not a prob but the replacement battery tray has a couple broken welds.
-Good time to repack the cv joints.
-Good time to test the FI components individually.
-Good time to clean up the engine sheet metal - maybe even splash some fresh black spray paint on it...
-If time permits, I'd like to install the new heater cable wiring I purchased from PP. I went a bit overboard and bought the barrel nuts and the wiring... Once the engine stops leaking I want to be able to use the heat!!!

I think most of us will be there on Saturday only. A couple of us are getting a jump start on Fri night so as to have a better idea of how the Sat reassembly will go. It also allows some time for "Oh shit, we need to find a parts store/shop that can...).

The cast of characters is (if I'm missing someone PLEASE let me know although all are welcome as it is an informal gathering of 914 geeks):

Ray............rmital
Rich...........nycchef
Leo............Leo Imperial
Chris..........type 11969
Aaron.........i love porsche
Nate...........turboman808
Daryl.........dtravni (aka my Dad)
Anthony.....owner of Movietime
Mike...........Dr Evil *tentative*

Address for those of us who have not been there:
759/763 Riverside Ave.
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

My cell 212-286-0626

GAME ON! I'm out of work a bit early and am going to hit Wal Mart for some snacks & soda's & the such. Looks like crappy rainy weather most of the w'end which is perfect to stay dry in a HUGE garage! I'm not 100% sure I have everyone that is coming by on my list but it's not exclusionary so bring whoever is interested.

Not exactly sure who's in for Fri, Sat, or BOTH but here's who I *think* is coming our way:

Ray...........rmital
Rich..........nycchef
Leo...........Leo Imperial
Chris.........type 11969
Aaron........i love porsche
Nate..........turboman808
Daryl.........dtravni (aka my Dad)
Anthony.....owner of Movietime
Mike..........Dr Evil *tentative*
Keith.........Jet1

Address for those of us who have not been there:
759/763 Riverside Ave.
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

Feel free to call me (cell): 212-286-0626

OH Yeah - I don't think I'll be checking this post the rest of the afternoon so if you need some info from me just jingle the number above.

-pt
ptravnic
barf.gif VERY BAD THINGS!

Pistons are toast, engine will not be together by the end of this w'end. I'm on the prowl for a set of 96mm p/c's... I could prob get away with just buying new pistons & rings then getting the cylinders honed but I'm not really sure what I'll do.

On the bright side, was good to hang out & chew the fat w/the guys. Thanks Ray, Rich, Leo, Chris, Nate, and Dad.

Time to implement plan B.........SHIT, I DON'T HAVE A PLAN B! spank.gif

Gonna break down Leo's 1.8L engine tomorrow. Starting the wrenching fun around 10am (Sat).

-pt
Leo Imperial
You took it well Pete. We did get a good amount done and it was all in the name of progress. Now here is the road kill...
Leo Imperial
And some more...
Leo Imperial
Some custom work
Leo Imperial
The wrenches from right to left: Richie, Chris, Daryl (Dad), Nate, Dr. Ray and Pete with his new paperweights. In his left hand the cause of the last rebuilt. Some things just can't be thrown away.
Click to view attachment

And the close-up

Click to view attachment

See you tommarra
Dr Evil
You seem to be having lots of the same kind of issues. I guess you better get your fueling system worked out and a CHT, oil T gauge fot he next build.

Not gonna make it Sat. Too much school work. Looks like labor day is still open for me idea.gif and you have no shortage of work.
turboman808
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 25 2006, 08:09 PM) *

Some custom work

What kinda peice of shit is that on the lift. Ugly body kit biggrin.gif
ptravnic
Spoke with a guy on LI (Canillo Motor Sports) who has a 96mm big bore set that's part of a project car he's had for 3yrs and is trying to sell... Here's the ad:

http://www.gtautoperformance.com/cat/cview.php?id=69

He's hesitant to part w/the pistons even though I told him I'd pay for them then buy a new set to replace them...

Anyone know this shop - I think the guy is Mark Canillo...

-pt
dtravni
Well hells bells. We got lots of stuff done today. Engine is going to get attention next time we're together b/c by then I'll have a new set of 96mm pistons.

I can't thank you guys enough - a great group of people. We put in 12hrs and were all still smiling at the end. I'm looking forward to Leo's pics & movie. Movie shows his spare engine going VROOM!

The weekend started as a simple head swap but has turned into a full on "while your at it...".

Here's a couple pics:

Click to view attachment
dtravni
I just realized I'm logged in as my Dad... Here's another pic, and looks like the digi cam has the wrong date....

BTW, This is a great "N.E.W." shot. From left to right - Chris (type11969), Leo (Leo Imperial), Ray (rmital), Pete (me, aka ptravnic despite the fact that I'm posting this post under my Dad's login - he's taking the pic...), and lastlly Nate (turboman808).. Missing from the pic are Rich (nycchef), Aaron (i love porsche), and Keith (jet1).

Click to view attachment
i love porsche
hey, when did leo's car get there?
rmital
QUOTE(dtravni @ Aug 26 2006, 07:56 PM) *

Well hells bells. We got lots of stuff done today.

....for not really getting done what we set out to do....a lot seemed to get done in the process.

Going back to vacation with family tomorrow. Hopefully a couple days swimming in the ocean will wash most of this POR15 off my hands and arms!
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Aug 26 2006, 08:24 PM) *

hey, when did leo's car get there?

Probably around 8:00pm...dropped his son off at home and brought the teener back.
turboman808
I took all that stuff over to my work to sandblast. I think you have to change the media quite often. It kinda takes a bit of time but I did one of those orange things, whatever the hell it is in about 30 minutes.

But the machine recirculates the media and starts to not work as well. So hopefully someone will show me how to change this monday. Kinda fun but definetly need patience.

I kept wanting to bring this up but anyone given any thought to building a powdercoat oven? That would be a great project we could all work on smile.gif

Besides it would be cool to powdercoat Petes stuff if we can. Seriously we could go powdercoating CRAZY!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.