Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast Wrenching Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
ptravnic
Nate - that sounds good. I havn't seen your car yet, looking fwd to it... Will you be able to bring the heaping load of metal we dumped into the back of your Honda last time out? Most of those pieces will be needed when the engine gets reassembled.

I'm aiming for a Friday start for engine reassembly.

-pt
turboman808
Yeah good thing to remind me. I could have completely forgot to bring the stuff. But it will fit in my car.
i love porsche
is saturday going to be another work day? if it is i will definetly be there
ptravnic
Hmmm, I'm pretty flexible on Sat.

BTW, does anyone know where to buy 18 guage steel? I need some, and hopefully I can buy it precut. Maybe measure Friday night, buy and install on Saturday? Just a thought...

-pt
type11969
www.mcmaster.com

Locally, dunno. Well, there is a McMaster here in central jersey, you can pick stuff up there. Shipping is pretty quick since it doesn't have to go far. Just bought some .046" galvanized to start making repair panels for my 914 . . . I think that is either 18 gauge or pretty damn close.
rmital
QUOTE(type11969 @ Sep 6 2006, 04:33 AM) *

.046" . . . I think that is either 18 gauge or pretty damn close.

.0478" = 18 gauge to be exact...
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 5 2006, 06:45 PM) *

is saturday going to be another work day?

...I got some stuff to do Saturday morning...hoping to break away late afternoon so we could work more on Pete's car.
Leo Imperial
I just got to work after a 1.5 hour delay filling out an accident report. Yep, accident with the bus. Some ahole tried to pass me from behind on the entrance to the GSP on my way to work. Looks like it is in my favor. He lied to the cops and they filled out the report that he was at fault. Gonna hit him hard with the repair bill. I am glad the report went well, but I am pissed! The drivers rear is pretty f'd. So much for the original paint. I going to go for a full repaint and fix all the little stuff and he is going to pay. I guess it is hard to see a big yellow bus when you have your head in your ass. He told the cops that he saw my blinker and was going to let me in behind him... He was behind me!!! What an idiot!!!

Put me in for Friday night
nycchef
sorry to hear someone hurt"tricky bus". make sure you tell your insurance co. about the damage to that 2.7/6 you had in the back.
ptravnic
Leo - sorry to hear about the "Tricky Bus". I had my apt robbed last month and insurance is taking care of stuff pretty well. The paperwork and follow up is a bit of a hassle but I'll end up w/better stuff than I had to begin with. Sound familiar Ray? heh, heh, heh...

See you boys on Fri and I can't thank all of you enough for your patience & understanding. I will repay you w/my labor.

-pt
type11969
Damn man, sorry to hear about Tricky. Want to add that ever since we went on that cruise the other weekend that I haven't been able to get owning a Camper out of my head (minus the child meltdown). Been looking at a few, tough to rationalize owning 4 cars though.
turboman808
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 6 2006, 05:31 AM) *

I just got to work after a 1.5 hour delay filling out an accident report. Yep, accident with the bus.

It's very hard to have something nice and drive it all the time. sad.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 6 2006, 05:41 AM) *

The paperwork and follow up is a bit of a hassle but I'll end up w/better stuff than I had to begin with. Sound familiar Ray? heh, heh, heh...

mine ended well..not sure if I was lucky or just a real pain in the ass to the insurance companies and they want to be done with me.

bummer Leo...I'm sure you'll make it work out in your favor.
rmital
Aaron/Pete,
...just spoke to the welding shop next door to MovieTime...he could have some sheet metal for us this weekend.

he has on hand some 16 gauge strips, about 3 inches wide by 4 feet. I figured we'll need a little over 10 feet or so. Maybe a little more to be sure...if were cutting and making mistakes.
welder.gif
The 16 gauge is what I used on my green car...worked fine. The short strips should be easier to work with. Seam sealer...Por15...done.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 6 2006, 04:38 PM) *

Aaron/Pete,
...just spoke to the welding shop next door to MovieTime...he could have some sheet metal for us this weekend.

he has on hand some 16 gauge strips, about 3 inches wide by 4 feet. I figured we'll need a little over 10 feet or so. Maybe a little more to be sure...if were cutting and making mistakes.
welder.gif
The 16 gauge is what I used on my green car...worked fine. The short strips should be easier to work with. Seam sealer...Por15...done.

U R AWESOME!!! beerchug.gif aktion035.gif

Will they be open when we get there on Friday? I'm stoked!
Dr Evil
Man, I wish I could make it.....Hmmmm, maybe I can. I would have to leave at 3pm after my hemodynamics lab. How late would you all be there? If it were Sat I could almost gaurantee my attendence. You guy s always pick the crappy days dry.gif

He Leo, sorry for the damage. I hate driving things that I lilke because there are too many idiots on teh road and the city just increases their numbers.

If it m,akes you feel any better, I just got back from the u-pull-it junk yard about 90 min form me where I was getting parts for some, ahem, research wink.gif I was picking at the only similar model benz that they had. When I pulled the air vent tube out from under the dash to look behind it I found that some asshole use the vent as a urinal and my hand was subsequently piss soaked dry.gif Mother F-er! I do see the humor, but I would have liked to hafe caught the SOB in the act ar15.gif Spare tire iron in his corn chute ought to adjust him correctly biggrin.gif

I hope my little story makes you feel better.
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 6 2006, 12:52 PM) *

Will they be open when we get there on Friday? I'm stoked!

yes...I'll try to get there early enough to get next door to pick it up.
nycchef
geez mike you steal a mans bathroom and your pissed off?
rmital
ALERT! Anthony (MovieTime owner) just dropped by my house to tell me they just got a new movie. They have to create a 55 car presidential motorcade…including ambulances, limousines, FBI suburbans, etc. There’s going to be a lot of traffic around and in the shop for the next few weeks. We’ll need to move on Pete’s car and get it out of there this weekend. Hopefully all goes well and we have everything we need.

Pete…I’ll make myself available for as much time as needed to keep the shop open. Hopefully Friday, Saturday and Sunday we could get this done.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 6 2006, 06:20 PM) *

Man, I wish I could make it.....Hmmmm, maybe I can. I would have to leave at 3pm after my hemodynamics lab. How late would you all be there?

I'm expecting to be there til about 9pm. Prob not the best night to make it up. I'm sure there will be a day that fits into your schedule.

-pt
ptravnic
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 6 2006, 06:20 PM) *

Man, I wish I could make it.....Hmmmm, maybe I can. I would have to leave at 3pm after my hemodynamics lab. How late would you all be there?

I'm expecting to be there til about 9pm. Prob not the best night to make it up. I'm sure there will be a day that fits into your schedule.

-pt
i love porsche
i would be available friday during the day if that is at all helpful...and definetly saturday
ptravnic
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 6 2006, 11:26 PM) *

i would be available friday during the day if that is at all helpful...and definetly saturday

Aaron - Sounds like Sat is best for you. If/when on Sat is still up in the air and depends on Ray's availability. Maybe you could PM either him or me your cell phone # and we could let you know the plan just in case it doesn't get posted here...

My cell # is 212-286-0626

-pt
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 7 2006, 04:31 AM) *

If/when on Sat is still up in the air and depends on Ray's availability.

I'd expect to be at the shop by 12:30-1:00ish...then I'll stay as long as there's someone who wants to wrench.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 7 2006, 08:59 AM) *

I'd expect to be at the shop by 12:30-1:00ish...then I'll stay as long as there's someone who wants to wrench.

I need to be in Long Island City at some point between 2 and 4. I was thinking I would make it to Lyndhurst ~ 2:30.
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 7 2006, 05:58 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 7 2006, 08:59 AM) *

I need to be in Long Island City at some point between 2 and 4. I was thinking I would make it to Lyndhurst ~ 2:30.

That sounds good to me...then I wont have to rush out on my family....I'll shoot for 2:00 on Saturday afternoon. (unless Aaron's schedule is different)
i love porsche
2 is fine...i have to leave around 7, im working at 730, and im sure we can get the longs welded up by then, should i bring my welder or is there one at the shop i can use?
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 7 2006, 07:47 AM) *

should i bring my welder?

yes....they might be busy rigging/welding right next to you. not sure how things will be there this weekend. Could be interesting....

or...it would be best not to have anything happen to their welder by our hands if they need it later.
i love porsche
got it, no problem
ptravnic
Holy sheep testicles, we've got a plan! sheeplove.gif

Sorry, a bit giddy today...

Not sure if you folks have seen this yet but check it out!!!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=60017

Is this a gift from the gods or what?
Leo Imperial
I was just about to post the same link. I already left a message on the machine at the shop. If we all go at them at the same time I bet we can get some good prices. I am going to let Richie negotiate for me chair.gif And no bidding wars or I unleash th chef.

Hey Mike - Sorry about your fetish or uh problem oh you know that urine thing
type11969
Hey guys, don't get too excitied. I know that guy, and that shop, have a long history there. Had my old t1 engine rebuilt by the scam artist that Don leased the place to for a few years (what an ass that guy was, scammed a 14 year old). Then had the Beetle repainted by the next guy who leased the shop (did a decent job). Don owned and ran the shop as a VW repair place for a number of years, retired and leased it out, then took it back over when he got sick of his reputation being tarnished by the new leasees.

Don is a good guy, and knowledgable, but unless he has changed, his prices will be outrageous. Last time I was there (granted, maybe 3-4 years ago), he wanted 50 bucks for a couple of used t1 head studs, a used gen mount for a t1, and some other assorted hardware that I pulled off greasy messes of engines behind his shop. Don't remember too much great stuff floating around back then, but who knows what he had hiding. Maybe the sell out will prompt lower prices. Its only a half hour from my rents house, and I will be up that weekend, so I will be checking it out regardless.

Leo, let us know what you find out from the call.

Oh, and that -6 was allegedly slapped together.

-Chris
ptravnic
Check this out gents.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=60047

I'm sure we can find a tow vehicle and get it over to the Palisades & find a cliff w/a missing guardrail... A gentle push and off she goes...

barf.gif headbang.gif
nycchef
I am going to let Richie negotiate for me chair.gif And no bidding wars or I unleash th chef.

thanks for the vote of confidence leo. i'm a little out of practice at negotiating, but meet me there @ 3am with a bolt cutter and i'll give it a shot. pete what can i do to help?
Leo Imperial
Nice Richie - All I know is I don't no nuttin'

Just got off the horn with Pete.
I am going to head over to KOS now and see if I can pass judgement.
Time to breakout the digital mic
ptravnic
I posted the question about the gap between the piston edge to cylinder wall o'er @ shoptalkforums. Fingers crossed the gap on mine comes within range...

Here's the link to that post:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=103824

-pt
i love porsche
geez...loads of new stuff going on...we should take a group trip up to the shop...might be cool
ptravnic
I'll find out later this morning what's up w/the other topic (piston to cylinder wall gap clearance). I'm thinking it should be fine just getting the cylinders rehoned.

-pt
Leo Imperial
Pete - I didn't get to the shop in time last night. Traffic delayed me until 6pm and they were closed when I got there. Depending on what happens don't forget you still have the other option. It sounds like they/you need to get the car on the road asap to make room in the shop. We could just check my engine tonight and have it in your car by the end of the night. At this time your car is the only one not running, so until a later date (the new shop) put the engine in your car. If the engine fails for any reason I will not blame you, so no liability. It has been stated here for all to read, so lets just get your car back on the road where it belongs. It would also let the guys at Movie Time know that we don't want to take advantage of their kindness.

Leo
ptravnic
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 8 2006, 08:53 AM) *

Pete - I didn't get to the shop in time last night. Traffic delayed me until 6pm and they were closed when I got there. Depending on what happens don't forget you still have the other option. It sounds like they/you need to get the car on the road asap to make room in the shop. We could just check my engine tonight and have it in your car by the end of the night. At this time your car is the only one not running, so until a later date (the new shop) put the engine in your car. If the engine fails for any reason I will not blame you, so no liability. It has been stated here for all to read, so lets just get your car back on the road where it belongs. It would also let the guys at Movie Time know that we don't want to take advantage of their kindness.

Leo

That is an incredible offer Leo, Thank you. That may be the best option as more and more surprises come up. Lets see how the day/evening plays out.

-pt
i love porsche
just a side note on something that ive been thinking about

we should try to do something nice for the guys at movietime, whether it is help them move into the new shop...or buy them a gift for the shop or something, just to thank them for their generosity
ptravnic
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 8 2006, 08:56 AM) *

just a side note on something that ive been thinking about

we should try to do something nice for the guys at movietime, whether it is help them move into the new shop...or buy them a gift for the shop or something, just to thank them for their generosity

Yeah, we talked about that last time at the end of the night. I brought a few cases of soda (a lot of which we drank) last time. I stopped by last week and offered to buy Ronnie and the other guy there lunch but they'd already eaten.

An idea we had was to help them drive all their cars over to the new facility when the time comes. From the sounds of it, they've got A LOT of cars (100+ I think I recall Ray saying).

They are very generous and should be recognized.

-pt
i love porsche
yeah thats a good idea, we could also talk to them about what they might need help with on their move
RS22b
well it looks like im out again.

I picked up 2 motor swaps to do tonite and tomorrow.

Forester XT
STi w/Axis stage2 block and an FP green

=
Forester XT w/Axis stage2 and an FP green
STi

STi guy wants to trade in his car without giving them the rediculous block and aftermarket goodies.

Hopefully next time you guys are doin something i can get down and check it out. I need to do a few things to my 914 when i get it back and thought you can all gie me a lil insight on the things that need to get done.

Thanks, have fun

_billy
Leo Imperial
I think the clock is slow.

TICK - TICK - TICK

What time is it?

MOVIE TIME!!!

Friday night fun!
turboman808
Am man I so want to drive a firetruck!!!
ptravnic
I havn't yet told my boss I plan on leaving an hour early...

Figured it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

RS22b
actually it looks like my swaps might fall through.

Anyone have an address for this place so i can swing by?

The gf already made plans with freinds bc of the swaps and i would much rather come down and hang out than to sit home picking my nose!

thanks smile.gif
jet1
I am going to try and come down next week. I might be able to come down tomorrow, but my neighbor just invited me over for beer and a cookout tomorrow night, so I don't think I can make it down and back in time.

Leo, sorry to hear about the bus. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Keith
turboman808
Few pictures from tonight. Leo took his heads off. Peter checked the deck height with Richs homemade checking tool. I did my own thing finishing what I wanted to on my exhaust. Ray kept it all going smooth

3 914s left under there own power!!!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I'm way happier with how my car is running now. Wraped the headers and the muffler with exhaust wrap. Not only is it quieter it feels faster. Took it up to about 150 twice tonight. But I dig the new look with no valance and hidden muffler. Now I got to beg Engman to make a stainless muffler bracket. He should be getting a private message soon smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.