Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast Wrenching Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Qball
I'm way happier with how my car is running now. Wraped the headers and the muffler with exhaust wrap. Not only is it quieter it feels faster. Took it up to about 150 twice tonight. But I dig the new look with no valance and hidden muffler. Now I got to beg Engman to make a stainless muffler bracket. He should be getting a private message soon smile.gif

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Nate,
Car is looking good, I see your going for that "Pantera" look in the rear. clap56.gif
i love porsche
so which 3 cars left under their own power?

is 2:00 today still on?
ptravnic
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 9 2006, 11:11 AM) *

so which 3 cars left under their own power?

Aaron - we're prob looking on the later side of 2:00., closer to 2:30 to 3:00ish. Things are looking good - my cylinders are going to work out just fine so the engine will get some reassembly - yippee!!!

Feel free to give me a call as the hour approaches.

-pt
212-286-0626

rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 9 2006, 07:11 AM) *

I'm going to touch base with Pete in a while...I didn't get there in time to get the metal strips from the welder next door. (Jersey traffic)...

not many could make it the rest of the weekend. Pete maybe for a few hours, Chef always willing to stop by and help, Aaron for a while and me.
No one able to make Sunday.

I'll be swinging by the shop around 2:30ish...Aaron if you want to stop by and see if we could find those strips, that would be fine.

Hopefully we wont have to relocate for the next couple weeks while business picks up at the shop...to be continued....
turboman808
I've had quite a day. God seems to not want me to sleep. Woke up at 7am to move some bricks for a neighbor. Hour later someone pitbull got loose and bit my dog. Spent the morning at the vet. Thankfully he is alright but the police were down here and everything.

These cocksuckers don't even give a shit and can't understand why I am upset that my dog is covered in teeth holes. WTF.gif

Cops made it clear that if I get ahold of animal control there dog will be put to sleep. I don't want to put anyones dog down but my god these people are scum and don't have a bit of remorse.

Add to that there next door neighbor seems to want me to have there dog put to sleep also. And the vet does as well.

What a morning. I will be there but will probably crash on that stretcher at some point.
ptravnic
Almost forgot. The address is:

763 Riverside Ave. • Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

I'm not online again til I get there. Reach me by phone...

-pt
i love porsche
what..no followup posts?

how much did you guys finish on the engine after i left

also, thanks to everyone (especially Rich) who helped me with the unexpected fuel hose problem, i feel alot safer now =]
Leo Imperial
I spoke to Pete last night and he said the heads were on. Sounds like the engine is ready to go in. Just have to put the tin back on. I'm not sure if the intention is still to run the engine berofre install. It was a good idea and would not take very long.

Some folks were asking what we found when we opened up my engine. Well it end up that the case was bored out to fit 100mm P+C's. The Cylinders also have been machined for clearances. I think the engine is a 2073. Gonna clean up the heads and put it in.

Anyone interested in a stock 2.0 - Keep in mind it does have that FI thingy on it bye1.gif
nycchef

Anyone interested in a stock 2.0 - Keep in mind it does have that FI thingy on it bye1.gif
[/quote]

looks like thurs night to finish petes rebuild. will try to bench test before install. hey leo you selling your 2.0? might want to wait a bit, i don't remember seeing the other engine at the shop yesterday. poke.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 10 2006, 03:24 AM) *

what..no followup posts?

also, thanks to everyone (especially Rich) who helped me with the unexpected fuel hose problem, i feel alot safer now =]

huh.gif You let Rich work on your car?! OMG wacko.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 10 2006, 05:57 AM) *

QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 10 2006, 03:24 AM) *

what..no followup posts?

...he lent him some cash to purchase stuff....only charged him 3 points.
nycchef
[/quote]
funny doc. i get there ,they are standing around wondering where the gas smell is coming from. at least i looked under the car. by the way aaron i gave you $10. you only gave me back 8 so the intersest is still running.
will do some work on my car this week. maybe install my new cv bolts, all 7 of them.
i love porsche
oh great...that means by the time i see you next ill probably owe you about $8,000

i didnt even smell the gas, i was inside, im just glad someone said something

turboman808
Oh man was I worthless yesterday. Really was hoping to learn some engine building but my brain was fried.

But hey today was good. Found myself accidentialy at a Spanish American festival in Harriman. I was there for a few hours and I found out the ladies there love dogs. piratenanner.gif

Few pictures from yesterday

i love porsche
did you stop by the car show in lyndhurst after? that kaiser looks familiar...

when i was driving to work, all i saw were nice old cars going the opposite way towards the show...
ptravnic
Sorry for the delay in posting - I needed to spend some time w my wonderful, understanding, supportive fiance...

I hate to say it, but there is more than a couple hours of work putting the engine tin back on the car & driving it out. There's putting on the new main shaft seal, gapping the spark plugs, fan belt & fan shroud, etc...

Bench testing the engine before install is a good way to go. Run it up to temp (new dipstick reads oil temp & new head temp guages/senders reads head temp). This will provide a good opportunity to readjust the valves & retorque the head bolts.

There's still some welding necessary - Aaron can prob give a better estimate as to what needs done here... A few patches (esp on the side of the rockers), some seam sealer then POR 15. Then the Rockers go back on. Just remember that the seam sealer takes a couple hours to properly set up before POR 15 can go back on. Maybe we could get the seam sealer put on Thus night after welding?

We spoke about Thus night being a work night. We realistically have only about 3 hrs of work time. This *might* be enough time for Aaron to finish the welding/patching while a couple of the rest of us tend to the engine.

3 Major things that must be in place for the "drive my car Sat night" scenerio to work out:

1) is Thus night available @ MovieTime?
2) are Ray/Aaron available Thus night?
3) are Ray/MovieTime available Sat?

I owe you guys - I'll make it up to ya's - I give you my word.

-pt

type11969
I can help out Friday night and Saturday morning. Let me know when/if you need my assistance and I'll be there.

Just got the 911 adjusters in my Beetle, should be ready to go by the end of the week. May not be another 914 running, but at least it is another 914 engine running!

-Chris
type11969
Oh yeah, if Aaron is not available either of the days that I can come up, I can bring my welder too if needed.
rmital
MovieTime is available any night for us.
I could rearrange my schedule accordingly.
ptravnic
Great news. So, Thus night and Sat (starting in the AM) is feasible. Hopefully Aaron will be available Thus night to bust out the welding then if there's any unfinished welding Chris can wrap it up Sat morning.

A good goal is to have a 914 parade Sat before dinner time.

smile.gif
type11969
Pete, seems like you aren't available Friday night. Anyone else want to wrench Friday night I'm down (gonna have nothing else to do). Wouldn't mind getting the Beetle up on the lift either just to give a once over without being on my back.
ptravnic
Yeah, I'm a no go Fri night - but I can start on Sat Am as early as necessary.

i love porsche
thurs night should be good, what time?

hopefully my car wont be leaking this time so we can devote ALL the time to your car =]
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 11 2006, 08:44 AM) *

thurs night should be good, what time?

6:00pm
ptravnic
6:00 works great for me.

Aaron - did you pick up the correct replacement hose yet? Now that you know how to do the "switch" it could be an easy fix at some point this coming w'end.

-pt
Leo Imperial
Ok - I stopped in at Movie Time today and picked up some stuff. I am also hope to meet the tight time frame for helping with pete's car and getting my engine complete. From what I can tell Saturday is the deadline. My heads are getting ported and polished along with the intakes. I should heve everything ready for Thursday night. I realize swaping my engine and getting Pete's done is a tall order, so if I can get mine put back together I will put my efforts toward completion of Pete's. I am in for Thursday and Friday(If possible) nights as well as Saturday.
nycchef
i.m in for thurs anytime. maybe fri night. no sat or sunday for me unless afternoons. leo your heat exchabngers wont fit the 1.8 heads you can have the ones i just got . surface rust but seem solid. is you exhaust gonna fit on them?
turboman808
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 11 2006, 02:40 PM) *

My heads are getting ported and polished along with the intakes.

sounds like your gonna have a fun car when your done. driving.gif
nycchef
leo your h.e's and muffler are ok for the new engine as long as you use all the same brackets and such, if you believe that dr. evil guy.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 11 2006, 06:40 PM) *

I realize swaping my engine and getting Pete's done is a tall order, so if I can get mine put back together I will put my efforts toward completion of Pete's.

We gonna be some busy Mo-Fo's!!!!

rmital
I think it would be nice if everyone brought a 12 pack of soda Thursday to replace what we used this past weekend....there wasn't much left after we were done.
Mountain Dew (red) seems to be Ronny's fav.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 12 2006, 11:10 AM) *

I think it would be nice if everyone brought a 12 pack of soda Thursday to replace what we used this past weekend....there wasn't much left after we were done.

agree.gif

Leo - What's the scoop w/your engine? I heard through the grapevine you might not have all the parts in time?

-pt
Leo Imperial
I stopped in at the shop doing my heads this morning. The valve guides have some play, so while I'm in there biggrin.gif the heads are being sent out for new guides to be pressed in and I am going to the max size valves. That means the engine can't be put back together until next week some time. I'm going to bring it all over to the shop this week to free up space at MovieTime. With that out of the way we only have Pete's car to work on.

Hmmm, maybe while I am in there I should do some trans work idea.gif
ptravnic
"While you are in there" maybe get a stroker crank, more agressive cam, ceramic lifters, Megasquirt FI, Patrick Motorsports headers & exhaust.......

drunk.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 12 2006, 07:10 AM) *

Yeah I keep meaning to but I am the most forgetful person around. I'm righ tnear costco so I will try to stop by there this week and grab a few cases. I am unbeleivably busy at work for the next few weeks. Might have to drag the sleeping bag out form under my desk.
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 12 2006, 11:47 AM) *

"While you are in there" maybe get a stroker crank, more agressive cam, ceramic lifters, Megasquirt FI, Patrick Motorsports headers & exhaust.......

drunk.gif

This never would have happened if you didn't blow your up in the first place beerchug.gif
ptravnic
All right boys, I believe we've got the following joining us this evening (I aim to be there ~ 6pm, traffice depending):

**Pete - our engine disaster master
**Ray - our *dwell* master
**Aaron - our welding master
**Rich - our *fuel pump* master
**Leo - our engine swapping master
**Nate - our sandblasting master

Engine mounting bold was ordered and should be @ the shop, ditto for exhaust header nuts - got 3 sets of em b/c w/all the engine swapping Leo has up his sleave, we'll need em!

RICH - Do you have a spare fuel pump you could bring so we can bench test the thing before it goes back in the car?

LEO - Is your engine stand available yet? It would make the sheet metal stuff easier than working off the milk crate...

Oh, and I watched the assembly portion of Jake Raby's video last night to prep for the nights activities. I'm bringing it and a laptop w/me so we can defer to his supreme wisdom if we are unsure about the proper procedures...

REMEMBER TO BRING SODA's FOR THE SHOP! MTN DEW CODE RED IS THE SHOPS PREFERENCE...

-pt

nycchef
have a fuel pump. we will need hoses though 3/8 and 5/16 or 7mm and 9mm those i do not have.
ptravnic
What hoses did we use for the last bench test? Also, the return line could just run back into the open gas can, right?

-pt
type11969
Good luck tonight fellas. You gotta let me know tonight if you are going to need my welder on Sat, packing up stuff tonight in Philly to head to NJ this weekend and I won't be back until Sunday. If Aaron is willing to leave his welder, might be a better option since I will be driving the Beetle and luggage space is limited. If not, understandable, gimme a call tonight at 908-400-1729 and I'll figure something out. Oh yeah, I'm almost outta welding gas too, any places up there were I can get it?

So what time Sat? I take it Friday night is still out.

An aside, finally started the Beetle after installing Porsche valve adjusters, holy crap, I've never heard a quieter ACVW! Highly recommended.
Leo Imperial
The lines were put on the carbs which are now at another shop. I'll get some to bring for tonight.
My engine can be taken off the stand and placed in my car first thing. No worries mon.
Video huh. I'll bring the popin corn popcorn[1].gif

I think Chris said he was going to attempt to come tonight. Maybe he will chime in.
That was fast biggrin.gif
type11969
Sorry, can't make it tonight, more work to do on the Beetle. Leo- you've been pmed.
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Sep 14 2006, 08:59 AM) *

Good luck tonight fellas. You gotta let me know tonight if you are going to need my welder on Sat, packing up stuff tonight in Philly to head to NJ this weekend and I won't be back until Sunday. If Aaron is willing to leave his welder, might be a better option since I will be driving the Beetle and luggage space is limited. If not, understandable, gimme a call tonight at 908-400-1729 and I'll figure something out. Oh yeah, I'm almost outta welding gas too, any places up there were I can get it?

So what time Sat? I take it Friday night is still out.

An aside, finally started the Beetle after installing Porsche valve adjusters, holy crap, I've never heard a quieter ACVW! Highly recommended.

Chris - I'll give you a call tonight, we'll know more once the night develops. I'm guessing there will be some welding still needed - patches and the like. As for welding gas, there's a place next door but I don't think they are a welding supply store - just a shop. I just looked on whitepages.com and there are shops in the area if you run out.

nycchef
leo i hope you're not driving the 914 tonight. i don't want my 2.0 getting wet.
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 14 2006, 09:16 AM) *

leo i hope you're not driving the 914 tonight. i don't want my 2.0 getting wet.

rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 14 2006, 04:35 AM) *

(I aim to be there ~ 6pm, traffice depending-pt

...a nice rainy night in North Jersey...the traffic should be a breeze... dry.gif
nycchef
pete have you located the missing bolt on the engine mount?
ptravnic
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 14 2006, 12:03 PM) *

pete have you located the missing bolt on the engine mount?

Rich - I'll do my best SirAndy: "Can't you read?". A few posts up I mentioned that I'd ordered the missing bolt (they only come in packs of 10 so I'll have a few left over...). KMA.gif

chairfall.gif

-pt
i love porsche
tonight should be good...there really isnt too much more welding to do, im pretty sure we can finish it tonight, if not, ill let you know chris
ptravnic
Aaron - do you think we'll be able tp patch up the holes in the side rails? If so, we can let em cool, slap some seam sealer on them then POR 15 them on Sat. That would be AWESOME! The underside would be sealed up tight like a frogs bum!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.