Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast Wrenching Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 14 2006, 12:42 PM) *

Aaron - do you think we'll be able tp patch up the holes in the side rails? If so, we can let em cool, slap some seam sealer on them then POR 15 them on Sat. That would be AWESOME! The underside would be sealed up tight like a frogs bum!

Is a frog's ass water tight??? idea.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 14 2006, 08:42 AM) *

Aaron - do you think we'll be able tp patch up the holes in the side rails? If so, we can let em cool, slap some seam sealer on them then POR 15 them on Sat. That would be AWESOME! The underside would be sealed up tight like a frogs bum!

I'm sure Aaron and I could concentrate on the rust...while the rest slap the motor back together.
type11969
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 14 2006, 08:33 AM) *

tonight should be good...there really isnt too much more welding to do, im pretty sure we can finish it tonight, if not, ill let you know chris

Aaron, you think you can leave your welder there for Sat if needed? Just trying to figure out packin ahead of time if I need to bring my welder too.
i love porsche
if they have the space for it i wouldnt mind leaving it...id be away all weekend so id have to pick it up next week...but im sure it would be in good hands if i needed to/could leave it, but ill let you know
ptravnic
Woo Hoo! Leaving the office in 5mins - pick up the car in midtown and bust arse to Lyndhurst!!!!!!!!!!

boldblue.gif
ptravnic
Excellent Progress!!! The engine is sealed up (rockers on, valves adjusted, valve covers in place, oil cooler installed. Sheet metal is next on the list. Fingers crossed the POR 15 on the engine tin holds up! Thanks again Ray for

Those pesky pushrods fought back a little bit but Leo conquered w/a nice "spinning" technique.

The side rails are looking GOOD w/some beautiful metal fab by Aaron. A few more welds, a few more patches, seam sealer, POR 15 and this thing is ready for the next 30yrs!

Leo's engine is down to bare bones - should prob drain the oil though... smile.gif

Gonna post a separate post to find out what this hole is??
Click to view attachment
type11969
No need to post another thread, its a vent for the rocker boxes. It was part of the PCV system on certain 914s, there was a pipe nipple sticking outta there and a hose attached it to the intake. Depending on what FI you are using, you may need to hook it up in the stock manner in order for the FI to work properly. If you don't, plumb it to a breather box. You could plug it (don't leave it open!), but might as well use it to help your engine breathe a bit more. Find some pipe/tubing to fit in there, and epoxy it in.

What a shitty day to be driving the Beetle. Oh well.

Congrats on having a good work night. Looking forward to Sat. Since we are starting late, anyone going to check out the going out of business sale at Autobahn?

-Chris
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Sep 15 2006, 08:22 AM) *

Since we are starting late, anyone going to check out the going out of business sale at Autobahn?

-Chris

I'd be willing to head out there earlier in the morning. Will the place be open? Has anyone been in touch w/the shop?

-pt
type11969
All good questions . . . I'll give a call later on, I used to have that number memorized.
nycchef
i.m offline all day, what is the schedule for sat? what time? who's coming? and the big question... steak or chicken? jalapenos or not leo sorry just too dangererous you get soup.
ptravnic
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 15 2006, 08:46 AM) *

i.m offline all day, what is the schedule for sat? what time? who's coming? and the big question... steak or chicken? jalapenos or not leo sorry just too dangererous you get soup.

Sat starts @ 1pm. The lineup is:

Ray
Pete
Leo
Chris
Rich

I don't dig on jalapenos but am happy w/either steak or chicken.

Looks lke I'm in the market for a couple threaded nipples to run breather hoses out of the heads. Jake says it helps the engine breath better, reduces pressure where pressure shouldn't be, and helps fight oil leaks. Sounds like they are not just getting plugged!

-pt

type11969
Chef and I know where a home depot is, I know he is dying to go back.

Other thing to do, to save the hassle of buying and using a pipe tap, is to just buy some copper tubing with an od close to the id of the port. JB weld, and done. Tapping is cleaner, but you may need to drill the port out more to get a threaded fitting in there. Dunno.
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Sep 15 2006, 09:20 AM) *

Chef and I know where a home depot is, I know he is dying to go back.

Other thing to do, to save the hassle of buying and using a pipe tap, is to just buy some copper tubing with an od close to the id of the port. JB weld, and done. Tapping is cleaner, but you may need to drill the port out more to get a threaded fitting in there. Dunno.

Hmmm, I don't have a tap & die set so that route may not work. I like the copper tubing idea. I'm hoping someone will tell me the thread size for that opening. I'm pretty sure there's an easy workaround. Prob need to drill through the sheet metal to allow for the extra hose. Will need to find an extra hoses too but HD should have all the stuff I need. There's one on the way to the shop on Rte 3 near the Meadowlands (Secaucus). I just need to know the thread size!!!

-pt
type11969
Its already threaded? Where did you buy the heads? Call them, maybe they will know. I doubt HD has any threaded metric pipe nipples, maybe you will get lucky and it will be npt.
Leo Imperial
Pete - I have the BUGPACK breather kit. I bought it for the bus and have not yet installed it. It has the lines you need. Take it and buy me one later.

Chris - I'm down with the going out of buisness sale. I left a message last week and never got a return confused24.gif

Richie - No soup for you!!!

Nate - What happened you finished you header wrap and now you don't need us anymore???

Who all is going to the Aircooled show on Sunday?
Leo Imperial
They are threaded. Hmm, this sounds like a good justification for purchasing a nice new metric tap and die set idea.gif
type11969
Okay, just talked to Don at Autobahn. 8-4 Sat, 8-4 Sun. Sounds like mostly shop stuff and tools, which is fine by me. Dunno how the stuff will be priced though. He mentioned that if you want VW/Porsche stuff, bring a list, and he might have some crap still sitting around. I'll probably try to get there around 8.

Sounds like it is going to rain tomorrow (camping is probably out for those of us without a mobile tent), but I will definitely be at the show on Sunday. I'll be getting there at 7am to help out, hopefully some of you guys will show. Would be good to get some 914s there, the CJVWS is a good club and it would be cool to have a 914 contingent within it!

-Chris
type11969
PS. Don mentioned he had tap and die sets.
ptravnic
Ooooohhhhh, Find a copper pipe about he correct width and thread it, cut it to size. Me likey. Maybe I'll buy it from Don. I think getting down there to the shop ~ 10am would be best for me, that way it gives plenty of time to dig through stuff then make way up to Lyndhurst & FINISH THIS DAMN CAR!

-pt
i love porsche
oh..so it looks like saturday you guys are gonna have great food...the one time im not there...fine..

anyways..today (friday) sucks, have to do my rotors and pads outside in the rain...i need a bigger garage

chris, i left my welder there, but you may or may not need to get some gas for it, depending on how much bead you lay down it might last. if you have any problems just gimme a ring
201-618-4670
type11969
Tough to find copper tubing thick enough to cut threads on . . . don't count on it.
tod914
I'll try to pop in tomorrow. Can someone give me a street address/directions from the Wayne area. Ray, I'll bring your rivets down as well. Thanks.
rmital
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 15 2006, 08:05 AM) *

I'll try to pop in tomorrow. Can someone give me a street address/directions from the Wayne area. Ray, I'll bring your rivets down as well. Thanks.

Tod...it'd be good to see you.

Battery tray weld???
ptravnic
763 Riverside Ave
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

We're starting ~ 1pm

Here's a mapquest page:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.ad...z=07071&r=f
tod914
Great thanks guys. I still need to get the new tray. I was just going to come down in the Honda being it's suppose to be still raining tomorrow. Maybe at the show if you make it, you can take a look and see what's involved? The support is fine, just the tray itself is alittle crappy.
ptravnic
OK, breather hole size question is answered:

OK, HeadFlowMasters is the bomb! Just got off the phone w/them. The hole in question uses 1/4" pipe thread. I woulda thought it was metric.
nycchef
pete do you need this part? i can,t follow 2 threads at once, we need to finish your engine now so i can go back to reading the funny pages.
turboman808
I'll be able to make it tomorrow. I got 2 cases of mountain dew but I wasn't able to find the red kind. So if someone wants to grab some of that.
nycchef
just a note to say i made it back to brooklyn. so why is it my car idles really rough and low, if i pull the plug wire #4 and #3 cylinder the idle doesn't drop like when i do it on #1 and #2 yet the car runs great when i am under load. hang in there pete we will finish yours this week or we drown the both of them.
type11969
Because God hates you? Congrats on making it back, if you ever want to unload that car, I know where it can have a home. I'm sure we could work something so you still get the ins. money too . . . did someone say VIN swap?

You wanna ditch that FI, I can ship those carbs up to you. May never run great, but it will probably always run. Stop gap solution until the 2.0 arrives. Could use the carbs on the 2.0 too, a little small though.
rmital
Richie...glad you made it home...today was a semi-productive day. We'll just leave it at that....

engine ready for tin.
rmital
Aaron started long repair...Chris finished up today.
rmital
OT...garage find. This waiting waiting for us when we showed up this weekend. 59' 356...for sale...don't know about these, but will be happy to hook you up with the owner if your interested.
rmital
today's attendee's vehicles:
Chris' Bug and Nate's '6
rmital
another:
nycchef
hey weren't the engine tins on when we left? what no pics of my car? it seems to me that we got more work done before i started feeding you guys, so... no more mexican food until i get a ride in petes car. sorry but it's time for tough love.
rmital
...and of course, Richie's reason for living....
type11969
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 16 2006, 05:43 PM) *

Aaron started long repair...Chris finished up today.

Finished?!? Ummmm

I welded some metal in today. Lets leave it at that.

Aaron, you are good at welding. Def. better than me. Coulda used your expertise today. Don't laugh too hard at my shitty welds. You gas is just about kicked I think.
rmital
tin was on...camera was away...to busy sweeping up.
rmital
a couple more pics...my '73
rmital
...and last but not least...Leo's "Tricky Bus"...
nycchef
an 18 page thread for a single engine rebuild. this is getting embarassing. if we don't finish before 20 we should all get kia's . thanks for the pic of my car. i.ll bring food again, got a lot of spinach i need to use up.
ptravnic
We made progress today - anyone see the other half of the magnesium?

I think before the next session I'll make a list of things that need to be done so we have specific focal points. Otherwise, distractions take hold.

That being said, this car has become an achilles heel. 1/2 of me wants to cry, the other half wants to laugh - not sure which side will win out... I'm starting to view the world through Richie's eyes...
turboman808
Glad you brought food!!! That was all I had all day until just about 5 minutes ago.

Oh and thanks so much for the tail lights Ray. I really like them alot.

I feel real silly for leaving a peice behind. But I got it and will drop it off during the week. I must have left it in the sanblaster and someone took it out and set it behind it.

I guess my package from Engman showed up right after I left. Would have been nice to get a shot of the exhaust hanger he made installed. I'll put it on tomorrow and maybe hit the tranny case with the mother power ball to see if it shines up at all.

I have way to much fun with this car at night. driving.gif
tod914
chowtime.gif Oooh you guys have a sand blaster there? Ray was wondering if I can get like a 2 inch strip of the leading edge metal from the trunk gutter from your green car smile.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 17 2006, 07:24 AM) *

chowtime.gif Oooh you guys have a sand blaster there? Ray was wondering if I can get like a 2 inch strip of the leading edge metal from the trunk gutter from your green car smile.gif

Nate has one at work. I think he broke it with Pete's stuff biggrin.gif
i love porsche
looks like saturday was productive..

chris, thanks for the compliment...i was thinkin you were going to be way better than me and be like 'yeah this guy did everything wrong' lol

is my welder still at the shop? when is the next work date?
ptravnic
I'm free any day this week.

-pt
nycchef
I'm free any day this week.

so am i, lets finish this thing. nate, when can you get the housing back to movie time? ray, hows your campaign schedule. cris, thanks for the carb offer, i may do it, little monster ran great going home, gonna redo the timing and crazy glue the injector wires or something, then run the engine to death.

rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 17 2006, 03:06 PM) *

ray, hows your campaign schedule.

hopefully not a busy week...probably just Wednesday night I need to be out shaking hands and taking names...I'll know better later tonight or tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.