Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast Wrenching Revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Leo Imperial
This guy did most of the work while we all sat around and watched. (My son Alexander)

Leo Imperial
Getting the engine ready for a bench test. Notice Keith(Jet1) standing off to the side not saying much, as he is thinking to himself ... This thing is never going to run. Thanks for not saying anything until after it was running. I'm still laughing thinking about the way you said it as we all were grinning like kids with candy boldblue.gif

Click to view attachment

Everyone had a hand in on the action and I think we all learned a thing or II over the past few days.

Click to view attachment
Leo Imperial
Thanks again Ray for making this possible. I hope they take use up on the offer to assist with the move to the new shop. Here is a shot of the weekends projects.

Click to view attachment

And a future N.E.Wrench project

Click to view attachment

If some can host for me I will send them the video of the ruuning engine burnout.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 27 2006, 03:55 AM) *

......and I think we all learned a thing or II over the past few days.

yeah...like if you don't have a good ground...ahh no, like if you don't have a very good ground connection, your results may vary....

watching that engine fire up was very cool.

This group is growing. MovieTime will hopefully break ground for their new 20,000 square foot facility this Fall. I think we'll need the room..... mueba.gif
nycchef
hey i just realized 2 things, that new guy guy with the green hat has the coolest signal orange toolbox and leo's car looks like it was painted by vespa.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 27 2006, 07:46 AM) *

This guy did most of the work while we all sat around and watched. (My son Alexander)

Alex aka "Little Rascal" had a great time w/the air compressor hose gun. And he really got a kick out of being sprayed w/the air! I'm glad he could come...

Nate - hopefully there's a simple fix the the sandblaster - 30 mins for one of the heating components would mean it would take about 3 days non stop to complete all the tin...

I like the idea of a powder coat oven. Anyone have experience with them? There's been a few posts on different types of solutions...

Things are a bit fuzzy today after the 1.5 day blitzkrieg we just underwent...

jet1
Hey guys,
I made it to my grandmother's on time! Ray your directions to go rt.3 saved me a couple miles of local traffic, thanks! It was great to meet all you guys. I can't wait to see leo's engine in a 914. I did have some hope it would start. I just didn't think it would be that easy! I mean I figured that it would need more then some gas and a battery after sitting as long as it did. That was so nice to hear that thing. I think I am going to try and set one of my engines up the same way.

I will be back for the next big wrenching for sure.

Keith

Next time we will have to hit a local bar after! beer3.gif
ptravnic
Leo - any luck getting the video online? Maybe go the youtube route?

-pt
TimT
I think the guy is Mark Canillo

Its Mike Canillo,

We used to do all the prep on his cars until a few years ago. Apparently he has another shop nut&bolt the cars prior to sale now..

He is a good guy in a car salesman kind of way
TimT
I just looked at the link for the car Canillo has for sale.

That car was on our lot for a few years as well
Dr Evil
Anything going on this weekend with the car? I could do your tranny idea.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 31 2006, 05:38 PM) *

Anything going on this weekend with the car? I could do your tranny idea.gif

Hmmm, I could tell the wife I am working on Saturday.
How would I explain the new motor and fresh tranny?
Ahh she would never notice the difference.
Oh, you were talking about Pete's tranny weren't you?
Actually I spoke to Ray today and he is still on vacation with the family at the shore :pinkielifter: I don't know if he would be back in time.
We did talk about the idea of a multiple trans rebuild day/class in the near future if you are game.

Current engine status is as follows:
-Pete is waiting for parts.
-My motor will need to have the heads removed for inspection and I plan on breaking out the digital mic to see what it is made of. I searched through all of the old papers and can not find any info on the rebuild from 20+ years ago. If the top end looks ok I may just put it back together and retest the compression. Problem is I can't order ring till I know what I got and I am pretty sure new ones will be in order. Chris also had some good ideas for updates on the heads.
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 27 2006, 09:47 AM) *

hey i just realized 2 things, that new guy guy with the green hat has the coolest signal orange toolbox and leo's car looks like it was painted by vespa.

Vespa chairfall.gif

Hey, mine runs and you better be nice if you want a motor.
Signal Orange is so the tow truck can see you on the side of the road.
Olympic Blue is faster whack_3.gif
ptravnic
I'm out of town for the long w'end. I stopped by Movietime on the way back from taking the cylinders to get honed and tried to buy Ronny lunch but he'd already eaten...

The new pistons are w/the cylinders and will be ready by next w'end. Shims are @ Movietime too. I got 3 sets of diff sizes to make sure we can get a CR of about 8.5:1. Shim sizes are 20's,30's, and 50's.

Ordered a pair of head temp gauges with the fixings & they will be on hand as well.

I think the tranny is solid but it could prob use a simple checkup.

I'm hoping we can get together again the 9th and/or the 16th.

Ray - does this work? Everyone else? Aaron - welding? Nate - sand blasting?

This damn car will live to see the road again!

-pt
drewvw

if I don't end up jacking up the back corner of my house that weekend, I may be able to sneak down the 16th weekend. We'll see..."this old house" has got to be the priority.

Dr Evil....I got a line on a spare tranny I may have you rebuild...
Dr Evil
Drew, I am open for bidness.

the 16th is the ECC so I am not open that weekend. This weedends weather is supposed to be crappy sad.gif I wanted to go to the junk yard, but it will liely be closed and is 1.5hrs away so I figured I could come out and check out Pete's tranny. Ah well. I guess I should study anyway...now I am in Cardio!
i love porsche
the 16th is NNJR's porscherama at pocono, ill be autocrossing, but the 9th should be good, maybe we can get those longs welded up

its too bad i missed the engine being fired up, but you gotta work if you wanna play
nycchef
my god . the site has been back up 10 minutes and already there are 50 posts here. leo we put oil in your cylinders and retested the compression and it didn't change. led us to think it wasn't rings. don't know if you saw this on pelican so i'll do it again. LEO YOU STILL GOT THAT 1.8? o.k thats out of my system. if we're not going to wrench we might as well eat. barbecue at my house monday.
type11969
Again, good meeting all of you last weekend. Lots of good work completed, old engine fired up, 'nother engine stripped, rust busted, etc. Gave me some motivation to work on my 914! This weekend I am going to check to see if this VW tranny bellhousing will work with the 914 flywheel depth . . . if it does, it will make bench testing in the future easier. Maybe I'll add a few features to make bench starting easier too (starter switch, fuse block so those who don't agree with the hooking to the coil method will be happy, etc.). So many projects.

Pete, if you have time, you should measure the sideplay on the rods, pull the rods, check the bearings, and measure the rods as well. Would be good to know if you need new rods or bearings before being ready to put the pistons in. And with the rods out, it would be a good time to snap some pics of the cam/lifters, post them, and see what the gurus think. I think it looks fine, but others would know better.

Leo, definitely think that retorquing your heads will solve a lot of that compression problem, with the heads off, we will see what the cylinders look like. Perhaps a quick hone to break the glaze will be all you need, but having a new set of rings on hand would be worthwhile. And I highly suggest the porsche valve adjusters and solid spacers (may want to consider these too Pete).

I'll be back up that way the weekend of the 16th/17th for the all air cooled gathering in North Jersey (flanders).

http://www.allaircooledgathering.com/

If any of you guys can't make the trek down to the ECC, you should come check it out. Camping overnight, should be a good time. Anyway, it starts at 2 on Sat. so I would definitely be down for at least some wrenching Sat. morning. Maybe even Friday night. This time the Beetle should make it up.

-Chris
drewvw

if somebody needs and engine...there is a guy here who's selling a 1.8 complete around here for a couple hundred bucks.
RS22b
damn i would really like to come out and see what all is goin on. Just not sure yet whats doin with my car, hopefully i will find out today.

If the car is back in my possesion sometime this weekend then i will get working on the brakes and wheels and tires will hopefully be here sometime late next week. after that it just needs an alignment and we are all set to roll!

Just really wanna meet some other guys that know whats goin on with 914's these days. I've been out of the loop since she last ran in 2000.
Leo Imperial
Here you go kiddies Vroom Vroom the1.8
i love porsche
oh that sounds great, im pissed i missed that for a crappy night at work....

that engine in MA, is it carbed?
drewvw
love the video fellas! looks like "dad" was having a blast revving her up.

the engine in MA was on CL but its not anymore, I got the guys email though...I am trying to buy a tranny off him.

he says its a bone stock 1.8 with all the FI goodies. If it was carbed I would have bought it biggrin.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 31 2006, 02:35 PM) *

Ray - does this work? Everyone else?

-pt

got home today ahead of the storm...need to check schedules for the next week or so. Kid's stuff starting up again; school, sports, etc. If anything, we wouldn't get together until later in the afternoon.
nycchef
great video, who's idea was it to bench test the engine, guys a friekin genius. so when are we going to take the heads off and find out what the little bitch is.
i love porsche
so rich....youre not buying it right....
nycchef
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 1 2006, 08:13 PM) *

so rich....youre not buying it right....

aaron behave!
type11969
Chef, snag that 2.0, use it with (gasp) fuel injection until you take your 914 off the road, then we can tear it down and build it up to something that will wail on that 1.8.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 1 2006, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 31 2006, 02:35 PM) *

Ray - does this work? Everyone else?

-pt

got home today ahead of the storm...need to check schedules for the next week or so. Kid's stuff starting up again; school, sports, etc. If anything, we wouldn't get together until later in the afternoon.

Maybe a night will free up during the week. I'm pretty flexable - just want to get it back together. I'm waaaaaaaay in debt to you fellas. I guess you know what my hands are/are not capable of - now you can start thinking of what I can help out with on your cars...

-pt
rmital
getting together during the week (after work) is always doable...
i love porsche
actually a weeknight would be better for me, the upcoming weekends this month are pretty busy, just tell me when and ill put the welder in the car and bring it over.....but we need some sheet metal first
rmital
Aaron...maybe we could stop by MovieTime this weekend to take some measurements for sheet metal. I'll ask Anthony where locally we could pick some up...or maybe MovieTime could order for us.

Let me know if you'll be around for an hour or two Sunday or Monday...or later tonight maybe.
ptravnic
Kinda makes me wish I was in town... sad.gif Can't really complain b/c it's good spending time w/family! smile.gif
rmital
Pete...lets think about getting some work done this Friday night. I'll definitely be at MovieTime.
i love porsche
monday would be best for me, what time?
turboman808
If you guys are there sometime this week I wouldn't mind coming down. I got to put the bumnpers on over sunday and monday. Little more work then I realized but I will get it done. Then I will get the exhaust done this week. But I think I would like to drop the whole thing so I can wrap and paint it already.
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Sep 2 2006, 09:37 PM) *

monday would be best for me, what time?

okay...now that it's finally stopped raining, I'll check and see what's going on for the rest of the weekend. Today might have been better since the weather still sucks...if it gets nice tomorrow, it will be tougher to break away from the Holiday activities...
I'll post later.
ptravnic
I'll just be getting back in town on Monday - 8+hr drive from Cols, Ohio and won't get back much before 4pm or so... Doubt I'll have it in me to head over to MovieTime after that drive... But, I could prob be pursuaded if that's when the garage is available!

-pt
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 3 2006, 05:44 AM) *

I'll just be getting back in town on Monday - 8+hr drive from Cols, Ohio and won't get back much before 4pm or so...
-pt

definitely more driving than I'd want to do for one weekend.

Anthony was happy to hear that we'd want to get in there and finish up as quickly as possible. I'm sure we'll be outta there in the next few weeks; as the seasons change, he likes to store a few more of his prop cars (and fire trucks) inside. We'll still have access to the lift, just long term winter projects might have to wait till the new larger facility gets built.
i love porsche
i have a feeling that my car could be the christening at the new facility =]
turboman808
Well mine is back on the road. No front turn signals righ tnow because I need to figure out how I should mount them. Also took off the fog lights because I didn't want to go cutting right now. No 3am running from cops for me right now. But don't make to much fun of my car. I cannot do body work. But from 20 feet it looks cool!!!

I still can't get to the stupid starter. I hope with more then one person there and a lift we can figure it out.

I should have my new exhaust on tuesday. Goona look kinda cool!!!

As far as the sandblasting goes. I will try and do as much as I can. The sandblaster has a real hard time with the tar. Some peices it works fine others it just can't seem to do. I did the throttle body braket in a matter of minutes. The heater parts don't want to cooperate as much.

Unfortunately they won't let me use a heavier media since it is used on machine parts with tight tolerances and they are afraid it will mix in and ruin something. I can understand that.
i love porsche
yeah sandblasting really only works on hard surfaces, on a softer surface like tar, it just absorbs the impact of the sand...gotta use a torch and scraper, or a wire cable wheel
ptravnic
So it looks like Fri 8-Sep is the next meet up? Ray/Aaron - does this work for you both?

I'll figure out the metal patch pieces and make sure we have them on hand. I can guestimate the dimensions and will err on the larger than needed so as to make sure each long is covered. 4" or 5" by about 4' should do it w/some extra square pieces for the small holes on the side of the longs. Tack weld, seam sealer, POR 15 and we're done. I'll be getting the p/c's back from KOS and the engine should go back together fairly smooth. Fingers crossed.

Nate - w/the sandblasting - if the dirty stuff fights back let it go. Maybe go after the low hanging fruit (easy stuff) and not worry about the mucky tar ridden pieces.

Tired from a 9hr drive...

Ray - I hope the dwell got sorted.

Rich - I hope you didn't break anything now that you got all 4 cylinders going... wink.gif

-pt

rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 4 2006, 03:54 PM) *

So it looks like Fri 8-Sep is the next meet up? Ray/Aaron - does this work for you both?

I'll definitely be there...probably around 5:30/6:00pm

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 4 2006, 03:54 PM) *

Ray - I hope the dwell got sorted.

..got it...45^
once I realized what I was doing wrong, it was a piece of cake.
i love porsche
fridays dont always work for me because i usually work at night, but i will let you know
RS22b
i might be able to stop by, minus if i have to go and pickup my 914.

If it looks good i will ask for an addy or some directions.

_billy
ptravnic
Ray - I'll aim to get out there about the same time as you. I'll pick up the p/c's before hand.

-pt
rmital
...first day back at the office since August 18th...I'm in shock...looking forward to Friday night...
turboman808
Hey I am ready whenever you guys are. I really want to drop my exhaust and wrap and paint it all. I got my new exhaust put on today. Thankfully it's quieter. It sounds about the same when idling but before when you floored it it was like the gates of hell opened up. Now it's just a nice pleasant growl.

I think it looks good. But only because you can't hardly see it. On the plus side I will be able to make those fine adjustments to my shift linkage without getting thrid degree burns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.