Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
iamchappy
I lower the car back down a little bit...

Here are some shots of the rear... and whats inside the trunk..

Now that the tail pipe is in the car I will cut and reweld it to fit properly and I will make the dump pipe for the wastegate while i'm at it.

I just spent over an hour looking for the hose coupler that goes between the oil tank and the line from the oil cooler, hell if i can find it, I last saw it when I painted the oil tank a few months ago, this is going to bug me all weekend while i'm hunting Pheasants. ar15.gif

See you on Monday kids.....
Chris Pincetich
shades.gif
w00t.gif w00t.gif
pray.gif pray.gif
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
This makes my 914 look so old and boring.
I feel sorry for those rear tires. They're gonna be toast.
jonferns
so...how long 'till its on the road? biggrin.gif -JON
TJB/914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 12 2007, 08:59 PM) *

I lower the car back down a little bit...

Here are some shots of the rear... and whats inside the trunk..

Now that the tail pipe is in the car I will cut and reweld it to fit properly and I will make the dump pipe for the wastegate while i'm at it.

I just spent over an hour looking for the hose coupler that goes between the oil tank and the line from the oil cooler, hell if i can find it, I last saw it when I painted the oil tank a few months ago, this is going to bug me all weekend while i'm hunting Pheasants. ar15.gif

See you on Monday kids.....

Hi Chappy, flag.gif

Car is looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Hope you get a pheasant on your hunt. Here's a picture of a flock of Turkey's I saw yesterday along the road. As soon as I got out of the car they were gone. Thanksgiving is getting close I need to carry a gun in the car.

Tom
BTW: For those you don't know Chappy is a world class wild life artist & sells prints of his art work. I have a turkey & pheasant one hanging in my office. pray.gif
iamchappy
Nice dinners...

I spent a good part of the day today searching for my oil line to the oil tank with no luck.
I am so pissed, I have found every part to this car so far because I kept everything in order and well marked in ziplocks and plastic bins. Somewhere I lost this when I painted the oil tank, the thing that really bugs me is I saw it not long ago in one of the bins. Anyhow I just purchased a new one so I can get this thing on the road.
I hooked up the cables to the clutch,speedo and gas and adjusted my parking brakes.
Tomorrow I should be able to get back on pace, it wont be long now...
byndbad914
very cool project and great looking car... been following along for awhile now.

Question - are you going to use fans or something on the intercooler? Or how are you going to get air thru it and out the bottom?
iamchappy
Answer to your ?...

I have 2 - 7" fans pulling the air through the intercooler and exits out the bottom of trunk through the transmission cooler. I cool two things at once.
iamchappy
Had time today to finish the engine lid and mount the new letters. biggrin.gif

Another wiring mess to clean up.,, mad.gif
iamchappy
Got a few things done today, closing in on getting this thing fired up.

Transmission shifter and CV's all attached, It's going to be a bitch getting those CV bolts safety wired around those HE's.

Starters in and getting the heat control valves hooked up.

I will try to get the fuel lines sorted and attached tomorrow and figure out if I am going to move the battery out of the trunk back to the engine bay.

I am starting to get a little excited. piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
rhodyguy
what is that red line/wire that looks real close to the turbo in post #109?

k
iamchappy
Thats a vacuum line that runs up to the BOV, I dont have most of the lines tied up or secure yet, that one may move.

Slowed down a bit today I am cleaning up the rear window for installation, and fixing the broken grid for the defogger. I hope to get the sail vinyl on today as well as the door windows.
iamchappy
I am getting sick of all this refurbishing, I did install the rear window today but found my time was again consumed with cleaning parts to install.
I like fabricating stuff, wrenching things and tuning, I hate this cleaning and refurbishing, I would of been further ahead time and money wise if I had just bought everything new.
I am sure the car will be running next week but I cant wait.................I hope to run out of things to do soon...........
x6in6flames6x
drooley.gif sheeplove.gif beerchug.gif

Cant wait to see more pics!
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif
Qarl
Should have left her black.

av-943.gif
iamchappy
Qarl are you going to make it up here and chase roooo's with Darla and I.....

I had to fabricate new brackets for the Fuel filter and Accumulator, and mounted the pump. I have the wiring cleaned up and simplified.
I was surprised at what a mess it was, when I fabricated this setup originally I didn't spend much time on the finer things so I have had to spend a bit of time mending and reorganizing the wiring and hoses.

I ate something bad tonight, this is the second time in a week I've gotten something bad from a takeout order, Im going to bed now sick, I will post pictures of my progress tomorrow, there should be much to see again.
iamchappy
I am calling it a night.. made some progress, getting close to finishing up all the engine essentials that will make it come alive!

Next is getting the vinyl on the sides, trim pieces, oil tank and lines, door windows and panels, seat belts, and windshield and trim. Then I think I am all done....

Wait a minute, I have to make a dump pipe for the wastegate, and fix the tail pipe, and finish the rockers and the front valance and put the bumpers on and install the rear hood latch release cable cut down the rear reflector hook up the tail light and licesence plate lights wires and O SHIT FORGET IT , now I'm bummed still a lot to do......
iamchappy
More, Damn, I sure have made this car complicated, what ever happened to keep it simple! blink.gif
iamchappy
I scratched few more things off the to do list today.
I cut and fit the rear ghost reflector, I painted the rear panel black so it filled in the outside edges, it ties into the tail lights better this way. I installed the Engman cable release, cleaned up, buffed, and mounted the bumper.
Tomorrow I plan on hooking up the battery to check on the wiring, finishing up and tightening the fuel lines. And hopefully get the vinyl on.
Once the oil tanks in, I could start this bitch........ piratenanner.gif

I would of taken a better picture of the rear but there was a pile of leaves outside the garage door that would of blown in.

"More later"
iamchappy
I finished up the fuel lines today and added 4 gallons of gas, and hooked up the battery to check on the electrics.
Good and the bad. There were a few leaks around some of the fuel distributor fittings but a little more tightening fixed that, I pressurized the fuel dizzy and lightly purged the system. I didn't pull the injectors like i have in the past( pretty stupid or just lazy, just lazy made me stupid). I am sure this left fuel in the heads so I turned the engine over by hand a few times to drain the fuel into the exhaust pipes. i will dry it out there.

All the electrics worked great! Even the thermo switch on the intercooler, i heated it up with a heat gun and it kicked on.

The Bad- passenger side parking lights front and rear do not light and it blows the fuse. The gray red wire circuit is the culprit fuse number 6- tomorrow i will check the switches, and the steering column to see if i can find the problem. i know the wires to the front and back lights are hooked up correctly so I can look to the area that lies between them.
PeeGreen 914
Well get it figured out quick. I can't wait to hear how this things goes biggrin.gif
iamchappy
I found the shorted wire the other day and all is well. All the electronics work!
I got the vinyl on the roll bar and installed the chrome trim pieces, I am running out of parts to put on the car, this is good...

Windows and seals in the doors and the door panels , inner door seals and top seal., seat belts and the oil tank and the windshield and I am good to go.

I picked up the front valance and rockers from the body shop looks like i am going to have to finish them they have no time. These guys should never take on side jobs and stick to the insurance repairs. There is a bug that has been in their shop for over a year, it's half done, and I know the owner was hoping to drive it this summer, I doubt he will be able to drive it next summer.

I will post pictures of the progress tomorrow.
wbergtho
Sounds like you quit polishing every nut and bolt and started bolting this bitch together. Glad to see the progress!

Bill
iamchappy
No I am still at it, just putting in a lot of time on it now.

Since everyone calls it the turbo monster and we are closing in on Halloween. I decided to give it a transfusion of green blood ( Brad Penn style ). I cranked it over until it had pressure and it started to leak from the open line on the turbo sump.

It is ready to see ignition and the monster will live once again! Maybe Halloween, it seems fitting.

I dont have much more to do, the door panels, windows and windshield, the rockers and valance.
StratPlayer
Amazing work, your SS sills look great. smilie_pokal.gif
jonferns
freakin awesome....
iamchappy
Drivers side door done, finishing touch with the new mirror. Interior is smelling lovely with leather scent. Moving onto the passenger side now.
I still need to find a nice tinted late model passenger side window , otherwise the car will look a little off with a clear one.
I converted my doors to accept the later style winders so my search for a window is on.

After the passenger door is done i still need to get the windshield and trim on and the seatbelts and rear roll bar targa pad and backpad in. the backpad wont go in until the car has been started and timed.

Its killing me not starting it, with one turn of the key it could be alive!
Lou W
popcorn[1].gif
Dr. Roger
I'll second that! popcorn[1].gif aktion035.gif
iamchappy
Thanks BigKat for the window, I owe you Big(Kat) Time!
Chris Pincetich
Lookin good! beerchug.gif
Have you listened to the stereo at all yet???
I am considering mounting a second set of speakers in the OEM location in addition to the ones in my doors, just like you have. I was curious if the sound crossing from 2 speakers so close made a difference vs. clean sound from one pair??
iamchappy
I had the stereo all hooked up before i started the restoration. it sounded great!
there is a lot of control i have with the two amps and the head unit. The cabin is way too small to expect any audiofile quality sound but the 8"subs with the 5.25's and 6.5's fill the car with enough sound that its not a problem on the hyway with the roof off.
Sitting in the car playing around with the separation, bass and treble, sub and faders i can get it to sound damn good.
flesburg
With all those sweet engine sounds, you won't want to listen to the radio! Unless, you play CD's of 911 turbo sounds.
iamchappy
This is why it takes so damn long to refurbish one of these cars. This is the door outer fuzzy strip and squeegee holder strip. It may take me hours to clean this thing up and install the new fuzzy and squeegee to it.
The passenger door is waiting. So am I.

Bill mentioned a few replies back on how i must of given up on cleaning every nut and bolt to get it together, if you check out the times ive added to the thread you will see i have been putting in long hours to get it done.

I was able to get the targa pad and latches installed today. I need to do a little adjusting now to make the top fit right.

The monster still lies in waiting, Not ready to live yet.....
John
Outstanding attention to detail. That's what makes your car so sweet.

Is that a service cover? Where did you get it?
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif
iamchappy
Garold's Mom's service covers are the best! I would be lost without it, I dont worry about scratching a thing while working on the car. I HIGHLY recommend them !!!!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44221
PeeGreen 914
I am sure they are great. I am still waiting for him to have two so I can get them. They look very nice.
iamchappy
Set back, I went to the body-shop this morning to pickup my windshield from the glass shop next door, a few months ago the body shop called and said they needed to pay for the glass so I brought them over 500 bucks, this morning the glass shop says they sent the windshield back as it sat there so long without being paid for.

Now i had them order in a new windshield a Plinkerton classic which I need to pay extra to rush ship it so I can have it next week, and now I will have a dispute on my hands with the body shop as he cant remember me paying him.
The body shop owner is sort of a friend of mine, we dont hang out together but we have worked on projects together and we are friendly. Maybe i can get him to finish the rockers and the valance, he was embarrassed when I mentioned i gave him the money to pay for it in front of the glass guys.
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif blink.gif I hope it all works out well. That always sucks when that happens.
rick 918-S
Patients of a saint Dave. bs.gif I admire that about you. Personally, Id be ready to BOX! dry.gif Everyday your getting closer. aktion035.gif
iamchappy
While I am waiting for the windshield I might as well finish up the front and rockers.
Interior just waiting for passenger window even the new seatbelt stickers are on.
My cousin Bob says he wants a ride! smash.gif
Allan
Looking great!!!!!

Where did you get the pedals?
burton73
Chappy,

Do you have one of those ride along camera set-ups? Will you give everyone a ride with you when you are done? That would be great.

Bob

driving.gif aktion035.gif
lotus_65
i don't think there's any reason to make a poll asking "do you want a ride in chappy's car... yes or no"!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 3 2007, 11:27 AM) *

Looking great!!!!!

Where did you get the pedals?

You should look in the member vendor area for Engman. He has very nice ones. I have a set. They are a little different than what he has on his car.

... Looking very nice. How are you painting the rockers and front bumper? Are You going to do the multi-colored thing?
iamchappy
Rockers black, Valance Signal Orange, Bumper is chrome.

I bought the pedals awhile back during a group buy.
PeeGreen 914
Cool. Your car is looking very nice.
burton73
Chappy,

If you used Marty’s rear valance did you need to make your left rocker 1” or so longer than the right one?

Bob

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.