Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
pete-stevers
lookin Great David!....one of these days i gotta spend some time on the cars....
this is inspiring!
iamchappy
I will have my onboard fire system delivered tomorrow, i plan on installing it on Monday.
This maybe overkill. But these threads convinced me otherwise.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=83444&hl=

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=403204

Stay tuned........
iamchappy
I decide that i will mount the SPA fire bottle in the front trunk I might improve on the mounting bracket i was surprised that it's not that heavy duty. I ran the discharge line down the center tunnel with the SS fuel lines. I will splice in one nozzle under the fuel tank and aim it at the fuel line fittings. I decided not to put any in the cabin i have the hand held Halon mounted on my seat, and if i had too, I would rather discharge that in the interior than the foam.
I will focus the other nozzles in the engine bay with some that will spray the bottom of the engine on both sides, one to spray the fuel pump and fittings the fuel filter and accumulator, and the other nozzles will focus on the fuel distributor, WUR and injectors. I have 6 nozzles to spread out to aim and fire in those locations.
I will mount one cable release in the cabin.
The other cable release is suppose to be mounted on the outside of the car for track workers, I will mount it but not hook it up to the bottle unless i plan on tracking the car( i would hate for some joker to pull it ). It will be in an inconspicuous spot that is easily reached i can mark it's location with a decal if ever needed.
burton73
Chappy,

I think this is a good idea as all the time you have in your car how could it be bad. Have you made sure that your insurance is going to cover your car for a stated value just in case, god for bid something would happen to your car? I hate to bring this up but fire is not the only thing that could happen. Stated valve must be established and proper amounts of insurance should be paid. Both of my Porches are with America Hobbyist Insurance. They give you 2,500 miles a year

I looked up the unit on the Pelican link and it looks a little different than yours. I see that company has a smaller unit that would cover the Engine or one zone, a two zone and a three zone covering the fuel cell. Where are you at with the idea of the electronic master battery cutoff switch of the full pump as shown in the Pelican link?

We are all so excited for you to get your baby finished this summer. This is your year. We have learned a lot of tricks from your assembly thread.

Thank you so much,

Bob

iamchappy
I have an ignition cutoff switch on the dash but I plan on having a fuel pump switch also.
No plans for a master switch at this time. I am running out of space on my dash.

In regards to insurance i am going to shop around for it. Right now i have regular car
insurance, since the cars not on the road yet it will be hard for me to get it appraised,

I dont even know it's value or worth. confused24.gif
burton73
All I had to do with my car was take a picture of it from each side and show them the engine and tell them how much I wanted to insure it for. My car had not run for 17 years. They did not care. The Automobile Club sent me to them. No money. I said $20,000 to start. This was 1.5 years ago. I will increase as work is going along. They agreed.

You could say $40,000. today and deal with a higher number after independent appraisal. If under writing goes with it, and from your pictures they may very well do it. It may cost you $450. A year. I am not saying you car is only worth $40,000. It is just a place to start and it may go in place easy. I am big on insurance. It has covered my ass more than a few times.

Best regards,

Bob
iamchappy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 2 2007, 11:41 PM) *

I think it's about time for our cars to have on board fire systems blink.gif
Yours @ over 400hp and mine getting tweaked right now (over 550) with high pressure CIS , it's fire season ! I've already replaced 5 fuel lines ( fuel rot) while running my 3.2 biturbo engine since 1995. Some failed lines were aeroquip WTF.gif
Marty

Marty, i will lead now you must follow..... : poke.gif biggrin.gif

Fire Systems are kinda like airbags for your car smoke.gif idea.gif
iamchappy
Well i have the system in, i ran out of cable clamps and i will have to wait till the engine is in to figure exactly where to aim the nozzles. I plan on making some light weight nozzle support brackets to finish it off.
I placed 3 nozzles on top and 2 on the bottom. I have one left that could go under the fuel tank at the fittings, but i may not use it.
I put some pressure on the shop to get the engine back together, i will now be a pest about it because i have seen this play out before, when the racing season starts the engine wont get done till October, they have already started racing the past two weekends. Once more he said it should be done in the next two weeks( he started telling me this in February).
My dash is full i am done with things to switch on and off. I have under the covered switches from left to right- LC-1 AF/R calibration button, tranny cooler pump, intercooler fans, boost retard, ignition kill, and fuel pump.

The pushon fittings and tubing worked smoothly and did make things very simple.

I hope i never have to use it, but glad it's there if i ever do.
iamchappy
nozzle lower
iamchappy
Stopped into the shop today, my engine is half assembled, cant be to long now...
6freak
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 27 2008, 02:05 PM) *

Stopped into the shop today, my engine is half assembled, cant be to long now...

You have all the cool guy race stuff and the not so cool guy sets.and whats with the carrera things ...its a roadster....but dont get me wrong GREAT CAR AND VERY NICE WORK ..IMPRESSIVE MACHINE
iamchappy
QUOTE(6freak @ May 27 2008, 04:38 PM) *

You have all the cool guy race stuff and the not so cool guy sets.and whats with the carrera things ...its a roadster....but dont get me wrong GREAT CAR AND VERY NICE WORK ..IMPRESSIVE MACHINE

The Carrera GT is a roadster too, kinda like a 914.... confused24.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 27 2008, 04:05 PM) *

that rocks.

winter's been hanging on waiting for you...

i'll see you and ollie on the road before the lakes clear!
6freak
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 27 2008, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ May 27 2008, 04:38 PM) *

The Carrera GT is a roadster too, kinda like a 914.... confused24.gif

I get it now ..the new Carrera GT the bad a$$ Carrera GT ..So anyway AWSOME MACHINE ever consider paint`n the rockers and valance the same color ??mines color matched and it looks awsome that way flag.gif
iamchappy
I am going to keep the rockers and rear valance black but the front GT valance will be the body color.

I had a Orange 914 with stainless steel rockers that i also liked the look of.
6freak
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 28 2008, 10:22 AM) *

I am going to keep the rockers and rear valance black but the front GT valance will be the body color.

I had a Orange 914 with stainless steel rockers that i also liked the look of.

OK Mr Chappy it will still look great ..go get um bye1.gif
iamchappy
The front valance finally got painted today, i cant wait to post pictures of it. i will roll the car out and takes some photo's of it tomorrow.

Could i really be this close to having the car done. Been over 3 years....
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 28 2008, 06:41 PM) *

The front valance finally got painted today, i cant wait to post pictures of it. i will roll the car out and takes some photo's of it tomorrow.

Could i really be this close to having the car done. Been over 3 years....

bootyshake.gif

3 years Ha! been 15 for me , but I'm getting closer too. bye1.gif
iamchappy
Really, Paul, What's taking you so long....Get busy.......I may need to visit....
Eric_Shea
Chapster... how much was that fire system?
iamchappy
3 Bills
Eric_Shea
Wow... way cheap.

(Note to self: Add to MUST HAVE list.)
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 29 2008, 05:54 AM) *

Really, Paul, What's taking you so long....Get busy.......I may need to visit....

I'm home this week working on the elctrical system. I'ts got juice flowing through it for the first time in 15 years. So far all the lighting systems are up and working.

piratenanner.gif
iamchappy
Way to go Edison.....
iamchappy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 29 2008, 08:28 AM) *

Wow... way cheap.

(Note to self: Add to MUST HAVE list.)

Way cheaper than having to replace an entire car. (If it does it's job if ever called on too )
Brando
Chappy, is that a CO2 system? That's pretty rad... At my old work we had a CO2 fire control system in the rooms with the expensive equipment... 0 damage to the electronics/machinery and it smothers the fire. Cool stuff!
Eric_Shea
Way cheaper than having to replace an entire car. (If it does it's job if ever called on too )

Couldn't agree more. Where for 3 Ben's?
iamchappy
I purchase mine from Pegasus, but i have seen them at other sites as well.
I have the SPA Multi-Flo 4L bottle AFFF foam system, I did end up purchasing a separate pull handle because the ones that came with it didn't have a safety pin on the handle.
I could just see someone pulling it saying what's this for.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=2426

Ok, i mounted the Valance on the car and rolled it out for some photo's it started to drizzle immediately but i did get some pictures i will post soon.
rick 918-S
Pictures? popcorn[1].gif drooley.gif biggrin.gif
iamchappy
Here are some, have to go i got chicken on the grill... chowtime.gif jsharp.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
drooley.gif pray.gif beerchug.gif

It's apparent this has been a labor of love, a fantastic commitment to the 914 model and an excellent showcase of your talent, vision, persistance and craftsmanship. Kudos!

Paul
iamchappy
Done eating now time for beer.gif and the Twins Game...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 29 2008, 06:43 PM) *

drooley.gif pray.gif beerchug.gif

It's apparent this has been a labor of love, a fantastic commitment to the 914 model and an excellent showcase of your talent, vision, persistance and craftsmanship. Kudos!

Paul

I have to agree. Chappy, you have done this 914 great service. You kept the 914 form and made a beast that is just a work of art. I drool every time I see these pictures.
iamchappy
So while having my coffee this morning i started playing around with the idea of making some detachable Canards ( dive planes ). idea.gif
6freak
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 30 2008, 09:01 AM) *

So while having my coffee this morning i started playing around with the idea of making some detachable Canards ( dive planes ). idea.gif

YOU DA MAN..........AWSOME
iamchappy
Someone," Please Save Me From This Insanity Or My Wife Is Gone To Kill Me "........
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 30 2008, 09:57 AM) *

Someone," Please Save Me From This Insanity Or My Wife Is Gone To Kill Me "........

av-943.gif My wife's already planning mine out... I think it is going to be long and painful.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 30 2008, 08:57 AM) *

If she does I'm blaming the engine builder. Iffen you were drivin it, driving.gif you wouldn't be tinkering with it. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Idle hands are the devils work shop. happy11.gif
LvSteveH
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 30 2008, 09:57 AM) *

Her name isn't on the title is it? idea.gif
iamchappy
No, but she owns the house.......
Eric_Shea
So while having my coffee this morning i started playing around with the idea of making some detachable Canards ( dive planes ).

OK... no more coffee for you!! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Exhibit A - You're anal.
Exhibit B - You have too much time on your hands.
Exhibit C - Fix it! w00t.gif

Seriously Dave... it's amazing the amount of detail you put into this beast. I hope to see it in person some day. Great job. smilie_pokal.gif
euro911
I've never been too keen on Phone-dials, but for some reason, you've managed to make them look great (along with the rest of the car, of course) beerchug.gif
lotus_65
the worlds fastest engine install is soon to commence.
iamchappy
I think i will only need to drill one hole in the valance for an aluminum tab and can put a hole plug in it's place when there detached. The other areas i can attach them are on the inside of the fender lip and the gap area between the valance and body.

I tacked the rockers on to see how it all looks together, i think the dive planes look kinda cool and hopefully functional.

I have to get back to the home remodeling this weekend so no more updates on the car till next week, then i should know if my engines ready.
iamchappy
Spent some time cleaning the garage this weekend, had an opportunity to roll the car out and let it bake in the sun. Photo op....

I put the Fuchs wheels on the car this afternoon and even though they look great, I think I like the Phoners as well, they may even look a little meaner.

I will see about posting some shots of the Fuchs on the car soon.

I will check on my engines progress tomorrow.

On another note the DMV says my collector plates with the personalization - NINE14 are finally done but did say i could change it
for an additional 14 bucks if i was unhappy with it. At the time i settled for NINE14 because the other options i had in mind weren't allowed, but really wasn't to happy about it.

These options are still open if i choose.

TURBOGT

914TRBO

What do you think, Change or leave as is with NINE14.....
lotus_65
lookin' good chap...

change the plate if you don't like what you picked.

TRBO6GT

YERSLOW

too bad we're not in arizona, you could just try 'till you find a perfect one...

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/vehicle/plates/start.do

I wrote to the MN DMV and they said:
"to allow public access would be a breach of MN state privacy laws."
blink.gif
iamchappy
Engine will be ready next week, now i sit and wait. The car is ready, got the summer shoes on and it even has it's license plate.
PeeGreen 914
Those Fuchs look sooooo hot drooley.gif Your car is amazing Chappy. If you like the Phone dials so much you could always sell the Fucks to me wink.gif Looking very nice. Plate looks good to me. I'd keep it at that if it were me. I hope your engine is finished soon. It has been a long time in waiting, but your labor shows very well.
iamchappy
The plate doesn't bother me like i thought it would, and describes what it is.
The plates are a new DLP printing process no raised letters lays really flat.
They sent me two as i only ordered one, one had some black magic marker touch up on the letters.
I guess the prisoners decided to make me another, i must of got a butt brother that takes some pride in his work..

I have a little finishing up work left in the wheel wells as you can see ( i ran out of undercoating ) other than that it's ready to go.

I have another set of Phone Dials with new ES 100's 225/50/16 and 245/45/16's on 7's and 8's for sale, I decided i dont need three sets of tires. I was holding on to them so i could extend the life of the RA-1's that are on the Fuchs but with the set of Phoners i have in the pictures above with Conti's on them i am set.

If anyones interested PM me.
KELTY360
This is one of those cars that when someone checks it out they'll be droolin' drooley.gif at the outside, but when you open the engine bay lid you'll hear softly and respectfully.......holy shit!

I think this is my favorite 914. BTW, the license plate is perfect for all those people who will try to catch up just to read it. Too bad you couldn't get one that said: NOTCONTAGIOUS screwy.gif

translation: you can't catch me shades.gif

Can't wait to hear the drive report. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.