Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PeeGreen 914
So does that mean we get to hear results very soon biggrin.gif cheer.gif
iamchappy
Well the engine guys think they may have done something wrong with the orientation of the twinplug dizzy and they didn't like the leak down on number 1 when they were trying to get it at tdc..

I left the car with them so they can figure it out.

I am still waiting.....
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif I am sure that is disheartening. Well, I hope they figure it out quickly.
lotus_65
shows how wise you where to have them fire it up.

good call, they'll get it right.
rick 918-S
I'm pacing here... I can't even imagine how your feeling.
John
What kind of power is expected from this engine?
iamchappy
Im not worried, for one the engine has sat for over a year after it was put together, When priming the injectors the fuel must of washed any oil left in the cylinders from installing the pistons away. The cold start washed even more on cranking to start it today and the rings haven't been sealed yet. The plugs they pulled were wet.
The shop is going to pull the rest of the plugs and squirt some oil in, crank it over and pump up the oil pressure with the fuel pump disconnected, and check the leak down, I think they are wasting there time, i believe everything is ok, but am grateful their wish is to make sure it is.

I have waited this long might as well make sure everything is right.

My big worry is the weather, so far no snow but I am biding my time on that, I want to get some miles on the car before that shit happens....

I can se it now, Ollie and I sitting in the garage in the car drinking a beer listening to the stereo and pretending were driving, while there is 2ft of snow out the door and it's still falling.

Answer to power, around 420hp is expected in relation to other engines with similar builds..
WaideS
Any news from the engine builder?

Anxiously awaiting biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif confused24.gif huh.gif We need a pacing smiley... smile.gif
iamchappy
I give up they said today but I am still waiting. They must be holding out for the snow.
Spent the day working on the rockers and valance the garage is a mess good thing the car isn't here.
aircooledboy
Doing my best imitation of my 12 year old's whiney impatient voice:

Ohhhh come onnnnnnnnn!!!!!!

blowup.gif monkeydance.gif
iamchappy
These guys are trying to figure out why 1 and 3 have bad leak down numbers, if i have to I will drop the motor and have them recheck there work.
I really cant understand nor can they, why the leak down numbers are bad as I am sure they checked them when they built the engine and the things not been started yet.
lotus_65
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 29 2007, 01:38 PM) *

These guys are trying to figure out why 1 and 3 have bad leak down numbers, if i have to I will drop the motor and have them recheck there work.
I really cant understand nor can they, why the leak down numbers are bad as I am sure they checked them when they built the engine and the things not been started yet.

dry.gif
that's stromberg.gif
iamchappy
They started it today and said the engine sounded great. Tomorrow we will re-start again and time it. I did notice some oil leakage from the base of the cylinder and case on the bad leak down cylinder #1. I have to decide weather to break-in the engine and hope everything seals up. When I have to re-adjust the valves, re-check the leak downs and if bad tear it down and fix, or tear it down if the leak down numbers dont improve in #1 and #3 after tomorrow. I think (but I really dont know for sure) that the rings and cylinders really need to seal during break-in for good leak down numbers. The shop thinks everything should seal up but seemed a little worried about it yesterday.
PeeGreen 914
Well, I hope everything goes well. Are you sure everything was torqued to spec? I have heard of people building engines and forgetting to toque the heads properly.
rick 918-S
Run it for a day and see how things shake down then have them fix the oil leak at least. You would think if the leak down numbers are off the crank case pressure would increase and that oil leak will get worse.
iamchappy
All torqued correctly using Supertec Head studs. Over on the Bird board they think everything will seal up also.
rick 918-S
Chappy, My engine should be back in this weekend. Too bad It's supposed to snow like hell here Saturday. dry.gif I would be all over a road trip!
iamchappy
The 914 Gods are doing this to us, we must of been naughty, or the cars are scared to death.
lotus_65
no, the 914 gods are scared to death of your cars...

biggrin.gif
iamchappy
I have been saying it all month, I wont be able to drive my car till there is a foot of snow on the ground. It seems like it will be the case were expecting 8" tomorrow. I will spend the time waiting for the roads to clean up finishing up the final touches to the car, getting the interior backpad in and the 8" sub's, engine lid and latch, paint and install the rockers and valance. There's a few places i need to seam seal and paint on the outerlongs and coat the inner fiberglass flares with truckbed liner and rubberized undercoat to protect them from stone cracks showing through.

I am going to braze a 4AN fitting on this hose for safety reasons. I am running 100psi fuel pressure now, this is a weak link and would hate to fry my car because of it.
iamchappy
Well I brought the car home and started it up in the driveway Wow the engine sounds great! after getting it off of the dolly I was considering a quick 20 minute drive but the pool of oil under the car told me otherwise. The shop said the oil was leaking from the hardline fitting attached at the case so I believe them. I get the car up on my lift and in order to get to the hard line fitting I must remove the heat exchanger. I remove the HE and spray the oil mess down with some brake cleaner. I am able to tighten the fitting about 1/8 turn more and rush to pick up the wife at work. We pick up take out on the way home and we have dinner and I consume a few Surley Bender beers Yummmmmmm Meeeeee. I decide to call it the night but decided to lower the thermostat in the garage as I walk around the car I notice a pond of green oil under the car. I poke around with the light and find the fitting wasn't leaking but the oil return tube next to #1 cylinder was, the lower green seal was mashed and split. I guess I will have to put one of those collapsable jobbers in now and when I drop the engine for the valve adjustment the shop will find out they owe me a new one.
rick 918-S
Sooooo close... dry.gif
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif Great to hear it fired up OK. It wouldn't be a 914 if it didn't leak a little oil on your driveway, right?
GS Guy
Sounds like "a big bad dog is mov'in in" and marking his territory!

Awesome build - I'm thinking once you're finally able to fully MASH the GO pedal through the gears it'll all be worthwhile! driving.gif
Jeff
rick 918-S
I just moved the Alien into the workshop as the snow was falling hard. mad.gif So close... dry.gif
iamchappy
I knew this was how it was going to play out months ago. I am annoyed that a fresh rebuild would have two boogered up seals in the oil return tubes, I could have the shop make it right but doesn't seem worth it to me to pull the head for that when the collapsable tubes will fix it. I will spend this week finishing up all the little things and first sign of clear weather and dry roads I will be out.

Now I can start working on the snowblower! Maybe I should turbocharge it........
jonferns
why not? hehe
iamchappy
I replaced the oil return tube, I have the interior finally in, the stereo's all hooked up(nice). filled it with new Brad Penn break in oil and a filter. Got the rear trunk panel in and hooked up the latch and installed the engine lid.
Now I must wait for the roads to be clear and dry, temps falling into the below zero's tonight but looks like a warm up possible next week.
SirAndy
she'll never be that clean again!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
degreeoff
Oh hell man, you cant drive that car...its too darn purdy to get dirt on! I am dying to know how fast she'll scoot though.....
iamchappy
Your right about that, right now the only thing i have had to use on it is a California duster.

I have to hold out until the snow and road salts have worked of the road, were still in a snow front were expecting a few inches over the weekend. It's full on winter here right now.
Lou W
What an inspiration to get to back to work on mine. You've done a beautiful job. smile.gif
wbergtho
Hey Chappy,

Thanks for the pics! That is absolutely beautiful. How is the engine oil leak situation? I assume that it doesn't drip a drop now.

Bill
lotus_65
for an update... b'cause i need to know what's up, i will now...

icon_bump.gif
iamchappy
Update is oil is leaking from the engine in many places. I fixed the oil return tube leak which was the big one, I ran it today till it was fully warmed up and monitored all of the leaks, it's leaking from the base of the cylinders to the case and also looks like from some of the through case bolts. I have been talking to the engine builder to see if they are going to stand behind their work. If they will fix it on their dime I will pull the engine out and strip it down to the longblock for them to repair, hopefully it wont take close to a year to get it back like it took the first time they built it. I feel bad if they have to rebuild half of the engine again. I talked to some of the west coast pros and they acknowledged that if a sealant is not used you run a big risk of things leaking, so they always use a non hardening type sealant like Cural T on the base cylinder gaskets to prevent this.
I have the car completely together and the stereo sounds awesome and everything works. I am still trying to figure out weather i am going to install the fan operated heater blower or just use the engines fan. it feels like the engine fan throws a good amount of heat out of the drivers side thats hooked up to it. I would have to make a duct for the passenger side that wouldn't interfere with the distributor if i go that route.

Oh by the way-The engine sounds great!
jim912928
man..that just sucks!
rick 918-S
I feel you pain man. Pull it and drop it off. With their reputation they should have no problem taking care of the mistake.

BTW: I was talking to Chappy on the phone when he started the car. Very cool sound! aktion035.gif Nice growling sound through my phone! aktion035.gif

jonferns
don't leave us hanging man! post a vid! smile.gif

-JON
lotus_65
geez.
i think they'll stand by their work.
i only hope like chappy says it won't take forever for them to do it.

let me know if you need anything, dave.
Root_Werks
driving.gif
iamchappy
The resonator tail pipe surprisingly made a difference it really took the edge off of the noise.

I am going to make a Zork tube that I can swap out when I go to shake up the pinky boys at the coffee shop.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 13 2007, 11:05 PM) *

The resonator tail pipe surprisingly made a difference it really took the edge off of the noise.

I am going to make a Zork tube that I can swap out when I go to shake up the pinky boys at the coffee shop.

Chappy, I want to meet those lil winkers someday.. happy11.gif
iamchappy
I will be bringing the engine to the shop, there going to fix all of the leaks, There wont be much action on this thread for awhile so I will resurrect it when there is, hopefully in a few months. With my not having to work on the car in my free time I will get back to the house remodeling and start painting again...

Rick we will probably get our cars on the road at the same time after all.

Chap
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 14 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Rick we will probably get our cars on the road at the same time after all.

Chap

That both makes me sad and happy at the same time... idea.gif I that somehow wrong? confused24.gif See ya on the streets aktion035.gif driving.gif
iamchappy
Further progress to this thread is being transferd here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...500&st=280)
iamchappy
I just finished off my trunks today, as much as i liked the trunks without carpet i felt the carpet would help protect them, and since this is a street car and i have everything else finished off luxuriously, this was the last thing to do.

I had four sets of carpets to pick from, this was the heaviest set and had the plastic backing on the rear instead of the foam. I ran them through the washing machine a few times and they cleaned up like new. I cut the rear in half to shape around the intercooler, battery and piping. I used velcro to seam them back together. In the front i repainted the bottom of the masonite board with truck bed liner before restapling the carpet back to it.

See you soon at the late night drinking thread...... beer.gif
lotus_65
tease.

looks like your motor's back, who knew? is everything good?

i also thought you might call me about my new job... Lisa wants me to show you around and get you interested in the biz, maybe work some dealz.

what else is up?
iamchappy
No I haven't brought the engine it yet, they haven't been able to spare 20 minutes for me to bring it in for them to look at. I dont get it....

I used to do some work for Digigraphics years ago. Paul let me know if you ever need my help or have questions.

The car has been sitting for awhile, i was in Florida last week I got to spend a few days with Qarl, his poor car is frozen in time.

I will try to get the car in to them next week, then i will drop the engine off and wait and see if they get to it within the next couple of years.
rick 918-S
CRAP! I spotted this tread popping up again and thought you were back in bizness!

Let us know if you need anything.... whack_3.gif You know what I'm sayin... shades.gif

Kidding laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.