Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Three cheers for the DIY approach.
Phoenix-MN
Hey Chap, since you have gotten so good at fix'n things you want to come over and help me fix this little "Issue"

Damn head shop ar15.gif

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Paul i drove by last weekend when i took the dogs to Waconia for a swim, i didnt see your Scion only a pickup in the drive, the house showed no life so i didnt knock.
Whats the deal with the valve all boogered up like that. Last time i was over the make shift engine start sounded fine running in the garage.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 29 2009, 08:01 PM) *

Whats the deal with the valve all boogered up like that. .

Long story short, the head shop didn't cut the guides for the added lift of the new cam. Cam lifts the valve .512" but there was only .368" clearence. headbang.gif

Side note: Rick M. is moving his shop down the street this weekend, he's looking for "warm bodies" ans stong backs to help. I'll be there helping.
iamchappy
I have a funeral to go to in Rochester this afternoon, if he still needs help Sunday i can
swing by and offer up my help.
Phoenix-MN
Rick figures he will be going well into late Sunday.
iamchappy
I will see what i can swing on Sunday.
rick 918-S
clap56.gif I knew you could do it! aktion035.gif driving.gif
iamchappy
When i reassembled the engine i dressed up the flywheel and pressure plate with a roloc disc and cleaned the clutch good with solvent. I have been running at .8 bar (12lbs.) and the clutch has held great it hasn't slipped once, as much as i would like to see the boost up to 1bar (14lbs.) last time i did that the clutched slipped and smoked a little, the extra 30hp pushes it over the holding limit, so 12lbs. it is until i beef the clutch up some. I have driven the car about 600 miles since it's been back together, the oil seepage from the upper through case bolts is still there but greatly diminished. After driving it around for a few days there isn't that much to wipe up. I may see a hanging drip but thats about all , sometimes i doesn't even make the floor.

The car is still very scary to me, it gets my heart racing like it used to when i downhill ski raced.

I've seen redline in 5th a few times it all happens so fast. Very exhilarating.

I got my G tech figured out now so i plan on doing a few pulls if i can find the highway clear of all traffic and can get it going from an on ramp or some service roads that never see much use. Safety is key here i do not want a ticket and hope to do this as stealthy as i can in a glowing screaming practically Florescent orange car.

Stay tuned more to come later.............
tat2dphreak
great Job! smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Here are a few shots of the car someone took from last weekends German carfest.
rick 918-S
Man I wish I could have made that event! Chappy, Explain how you cured the Valdes oil leak. Did you have to pull the cylinders or just slide them out a little? Did you use sealing rings at the heads?
iamchappy
Rick the leaking is from the through case bolts, Mat Johnson said he used the proper head gaskets, why some of the head stud nuts loosened up and needed retorqueing is still a mystery. After getting the thing all cleaned up, it is obvious now that the leaks are from the upper through case bolts, the oil runs down the side of the case in the same spot on both sides, the oil that leaks from the bolts sits over the head stud so it has a tendency to run down the head stud, pool around the head stud nut, and leak down from there which gave the appearance it was leaking from the head which i now know it's not. In a few weeks if i get caught up with work, i am going to drop the engine again and butter up those nut bolt areas and see if i cant stop it up a bit. The only real cure is pulling it apart but i think i can do a pretty good job on it externally until that time comes.
Phoenix-MN
Hey chap, I may have one-up'd you from the car show rolleyes.gif I found this page looking for some other stuff. take look down through the pictures (2nd car). And I wasn't even in the show shades.gif The RS wanabee

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/midwest...y-shakopee.html
iamchappy
Paul i saw those too, I posted the link in the Shakopee thread, they must of been following us around because we are in some of the shots....
iamchappy
Look I made some bigger dive planes for the front. I have been playing around with boost settings, i still need to keep it around 12.5 to keep the clutch from slipping in 4th and 5th, but did experience it at 14.5 the other day when i was making adjustments. man that extra 40 or so HP makes a difference, me needs new Kevlar clutch i like the wallop that extra 2lbs makes.

Amber is waiting for a nice easy ride.... I could rip with Darla aktion035.gif , the last time i tried with Amber she was trying to climb up on me which made for a scary couple of seconds.
I hope i can break her into it like i did with Darla.
iamchappy
More Amber and Darla....

iamchappy
Amber the new passinger driving.gif
BigDBass

So how is Amber's navigator skill coming along?

I'm almost done with Mark Donahue's "The Unfair Advantage", so now appreciate Chappy's Mark Donahue signature steering wheel. Just when you think you couldn't possibly appreciate this car any more, something new jumps out! drooley.gif

Plus this thread can always use a ninja.gif icon_bump.gif !
carr914
Chap, I have always liked that front end, the bigger dive planes look good. You could put an orange pinstripe to make them stand out a little more, not that you need to make a bigger statement.

Amber, looks very comfortable with the car at a standstill. Surely you have a video of Darla taking a ride that you can train the rookie with. driving.gif ( sorry we don't have a dog driving smilie....yet)

and Dan there is a new book about Donohue that you should get. It is written by Michael Argetsinger. His Dad, Cam, was the architect & driving force of Watkins Glen. Michael's brother, Pete and I worked together quite a bit with Skip Barber

T.C.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Dan Amber lets me rip, she has taken a few blast off's with me in the past weeks .
She lays down on the seat and trusts all will be well.....

I am running 14lbs with it holding on some days and slipping on others depending on
how hot the engine is, it seems to hold better when i've been driving around for an hour...

The Mark Donahue steering wheel was one of those purchases i dont regret. There used to be a Porsche fiberglass fabricator and speed shop up here back in the 70's called Karousel. They originally made the 914 RSR air dam front spoiler with the oil cooler with brake ducts, they worked and had ties to Ricthie Ginther racing. I was purchasing a new air dam in the store and the sales guy told me i should buy the steering wheel i think i paid 125 for it. He said after Mark had died they had to stop making the wheels or his endorsed stuff because of the problems with the family and the estate. The wheel is too small for practical purposes as it really interferes with my gauge's but i have had it in a 914 ever since i bought it that day....

TC i will try and film driving.gif a new video featuring Amber ripping with me...
iamchappy
I just ordered a Kevlar clutch today from Renegade, yesterday the clutch slipped really bad, I guess this is worth a try. Breakin is suppose to be slow and easy so i will turn down the boost and drive it like a Gramma......
rick 918-S
I have a kevlar disc with a stage II Kennedy PP. Sometimes it sound like I'm squeeling the tires but it's the clutch slipping only lasts a second then it hooks up.

BTW: It just stopped raining at 3:00 dry.gif See ya Monday. biggrin.gif
iamchappy
Watch i will finally get the clutch to hook up, and then blow the box or an axle.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 18 2010, 05:29 PM) *

Watch i will finally get the clutch to hook up, and then blow the box or an axle.

the weakest link is always something... ;-)
iamchappy
Well the snow is still piled high outside but it looks like we are in for a string of warmer weather this week - so - I decided now or never, i disconnected everything, and drained the oil. The engine is ready to come out for the Spring cleaning, the new clutch install, and i am going to try and externally seal up the through case bolt oil leaks.

Hopefully in about a month or so the snow will be gone and i will be able to test it out.

There are a few items i would like to get for the engine like billet injector blocks, and a Brian Lesik adjustable WUR, a new set of headers from Marty MSDS but those are things i haven't saved for, so maybe not..........

More updates on the way as i dig into it....
iamchappy
Well i had a little time this afternoon and got busy, now that it's out i can dig into it and clean everything up again. I think it's time for one of these..... beer.gif
iamchappy
Got it on the stand and stripped it down this far. I was shocked to find mouse droppings and some packing peanuts under the shroud, how the hell could one of found a way into there. Looked around other spots on the car where they like to hide but found nothing. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
This will be ready for lunch on the 10th no? blink.gif huh.gif
iamchappy
smash.gif working on it........ idea.gif
MDG
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 18 2011, 03:48 PM) *

I was shocked to find mouse droppings and some packing peanuts under the shroud, how the hell could one of found a way into there.

Probably slipped through the fan, sauntered by the alternator and said, "Honey, I'm home!"

Also, I think I detected a note of panic coming from Eric. tongue.gif Good luck on this, Chappy.
iamchappy
I have just about everything all cleaned up, adjusted and sealed. New Kevlar clutch, and with a little work cleaning up some wiring, the engine is ready to go back in the car. I hope to have it on the road this week......
rick 918-S
I'm excited for ya! Just don't go and hurt the girl now. She'll get even with your wallet!
914coop
Hope that Kevlar clutch solves the slipping issue you had. Nice to here it is almost ready for the road.
carr914
Chap, You safe & sound after the Twisters this Weekend?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 12 2010, 07:50 PM) *

The Mark Donahue steering wheel was one of those purchases i dont regret. There used to be a Porsche fiberglass fabricator and speed shop up here back in the 70's called Karousel. They originally made the 914 RSR air dam front spoiler with the oil cooler with brake ducts, they worked and had ties to Ricthie Ginther racing. I was purchasing a new air dam in the store and the sales guy told me i should buy the steering wheel i think i paid 125 for it. He said after Mark had died they had to stop making the wheels or his endorsed stuff because of the problems with the family and the estate. The wheel is too small for practical purposes as it really interferes with my gauge's but i have had it in a 914 ever since i bought it that day....

Karousel was just a few blocks from our 'city house' in Crystal. I grew up in Lake Elmo (hobby farm) and Crystal. I would go in there and get another copy of their catalog every few months. I loved that place!
iamchappy
Twister missed us by a few miles, we had a huge golf ball sized hail storm last week that missed us by a few miles also, We have been lucky so far, with all the snow and rain we've had, the wetlands behind the house is as full as i have ever seen it .

I think i am going to put the engine back in the car today......time to get busy...... bye1.gif
iamchappy
Engine is back in the car and everything on top plugged in and connected, wont be long now, may be a few hours at most and i can drive it again.........
rick 918-S
I'll be back down working again next week. Gitterdunn!
iamchappy
I have had a few other side jobs that is slowing me down. Last week i replaced 4 struts on a buddies Audi Quatro Avant Wagon, and tomorrow i am doing a coil over from hydraulic conversion on a Mercedes. I've done the Mercedes job before a few years ago so i am kinda familiar with the job. After that i need to figure out a no start issue with my son Charlies Nissan Sentra. and somehow get my car together in between all of that and still work at my real job.......

Rick, i hope i can get it done for you to come and help me break in that clutch. I am having surgery on my left leg on June 1st, i may need you to drive.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 24 2011, 09:59 PM) *

Rick, i hope i can get it done for you to come and help me break in that clutch. I am having surgery on my left leg on June 1st, i may need you to drive.

unsure.gif
iamchappy
I will drive my car tomorrow driving.gif , I am almost done about an hour of fiddling about and i will fire it up. I am turning the boost down to around 8 bar and will try my best to stay out of it until i get the Kevlar clutch bedded in, in about 500 miles of easy stop and go driving.

I've drained the Brad Penn oil out and refilled it with Valvoline R1 racing oil 40wt, it was on sale for 2.99 a quart., so i picked up a few cases of 40wt, 50wt and 20/50.

The Brad Penn leaked so bad, i am hoping with my re-sealing everything and switching to a Dino oil, the oil will stay in the engine, i was tired of painting the floor green, gets expensive.....

I will give you an update.... bye1.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 26 2011, 10:55 PM) *

...I am turning the boost down to around 8 bar...

!? _down_ to 8 Bar !?
How much boost do you run at full chat ?
rick 918-S
Damn oil leaks! Hope you got it this time around!
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 27 2011, 01:58 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 26 2011, 10:55 PM) *

...I am turning the boost down to around 8 bar...

!? _down_ to 8 Bar !?
How much boost do you run at full chat ?

8 psi?
confused24.gif
Madswede
Yeah I was gonna say ... 8 bar is like 116 psi. blink.gif
iamchappy
I have to laugh lol-2.gif , i am turning it down from 1.5 bar to .8 to .7 bar. around 12lbs to 10 lbs. my wastegate spring is set to .7.

The car is ready to roll but it's raining! headbang.gif hissyfit.gif

Seems there is a little oil leaking from what i believe is the flywheel seal, no leaking from the other areas as before but the engines not been under load yet.

I hope the Flywheel seal will seal it self, sitting sometimes make things leak but can swell after driving it for awhile. dry.gif if not, at least i wont have to remove the engine to replace it, only the tranny.
914coop
Hey Chappy

Sunny out this morning, hope you can get it out before it changes and starts raining again here. Not sure if I should work on the car or build an ark. biggrin.gif

Hope your surgery goes well.
Irv
iamchappy
Just got back from driving the car around for 5 miles re-adjusted the clutch and the oil seems to be staying in the engine, the oil i was seeing may of been old stuff running when the engine heated up because all is dry now.... I'm going for another drive now, see ya!
iamchappy
I put 20 miles on it during my last drive, so far the engine is still dry, not a drip in sight....

I cant wait till i can put the hammer down to see if the clutch will hold..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.