Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
J P Stein
No sealer except silicone *grease* to lube the O ring.....it has to move.
sixnotfour
Curious , Is it leaking on the Bolt Head side or the Nut side or both ?
iamchappy
Both...
jim912928
Chappy, you might want to check out GHL headers with heat. I bought them direct (they are in arizona)...great guys to work with and a really excellent finished product. They have 1 3/4 and 1 5/8 diameter systems. Mine isn't installed yet (trying to get motivated to start the 3.2l install)....here is a pic:
iamchappy
I will sacrifice some performance and use my stock HE's when things start chilling up here but getting a new large diameter tube set has crossed my mine.
Brando
To answer your question about the Yamabond/threebond... best way is either with a razor blade in the solvent tank (careful not to gouge those critical surfaces!) or by taking it to the machinist when they align-bore it and true the mating surfaces.

Of course, the idea of rebuilding and blueprinting an engine, then using the sealants mentioned, is that it should not have to come back apart any time soon.

At the shop i worked at, we had a real problem... We'd do an engine rebuild -- they ran so good and never leaked, we'd never see the owner nor car except for oil changes and regular maintenance.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 21 2008, 02:44 PM) *

To answer your question about the Yamabond/threebond... best way is either with a razor blade in the solvent tank (careful not to gouge those critical surfaces!) or by taking it to the machinist when they align-bore it and true the mating surfaces.

Thanks for the response.

But I still don't understand how those techniques will help me get my glued-together case back apart when it's time

Of course, the idea of rebuilding and blueprinting an engine, then using the sealants mentioned, is that it should not have to come back apart any time soon.

Sure - I get that. I hope it's true, especially for a 911 bottom end. OTOH - I'm building a 2,8RSR clone, possibly in stages (first with some overbored cylinders, later with Nickies) which should still not involve disturbing the bottom end, but the reality is that's real close to the limit for a mag case and I'm expecting to freshen mains more frequently than a just-street engine.
iamchappy
Sunday, Paul aka (Lotus-65) was over and we attempted to shoot a video of my car running through the gears, I made up a camera hat so the camera was mounted on the bill of my cap, this was so i could look at the gauges to analyze the A/R's and boost on replay and Paul had a hand held video cam to catch the ride.

All i can say is we are both idiots, in my attempts to start my hat cam, i kept turning it off instead of on and Paul shot the entire time in the infrared mode. so we have nothing to show you....

I will try again......
iamchappy
I did it again, i am a complete idiot blink.gif . i just went and made two full out heart stopping gear shifting runs driving.gif and had the camera off while doing it and had it on the whole time the things sitting on the center cushion..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
tronporsche
....and , TAKE..........3.........
KELTY360
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 29 2008, 12:49 PM) *

I did it again, i am a complete idiot blink.gif . i just went and made two full out heart stopping gear shifting runs driving.gif and had the camera off while doing it and had it on the whole time the things sitting on the center cushion..... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Are you sure it wasn't intentional? Some deep seated need for speed? Everything happens for a reason. Oh, and........

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
iamchappy
Here it is all i've got to show you. av-943.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchapman1/iMovieTheater23.html
ottox914
All that comes to mind is: "ready when you are, C.B."

Side note- while my turbo 914 is not as perfect or brutal as yours, as an auto cross weapon its doing just fine. In yesterdays event I finished 3rd. Overall. Out of 106 drivers. The cars that beat me came and went in trailers, each had over 300 hp, and 2x the tire.

If you ever want to make a point of how fast a 914 really is, I'd be happy to drive yours at an auto cross... happy11.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 29 2008, 01:23 PM) *

Cinematographers everywhere are breathing a sigh of job-security relief. poke.gif

I think this is just your way of building suspense. popcorn[1].gif
iamchappy
All the anxiety i had to go through and the risk of going over 120 twice on the highway at 1PM is hurting my odds of getting away with it.

My last run i had a Carrera S come up on my rear and i slowed down to about 20 on the entrance ramp and waited for the traffic to pass to give us an open shot. When i glanced back he was a very tiny car in the rear view mirror. He exited when i did but turned the opposite way.
rick 918-S
I'm glad Darla enjoyed it. WTF.gif av-943.gif
iamchappy
Darla, enjoys humping my leg, she is still a little unsure of turbo car rides...
iamchappy
biggrin.gif

Ok, here is the video Paul shot in the infared mode. I just replayed it and laughed so hard, i decided to let all of you poke some fun at us. driving.gif
av-943.gif

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchapman1/iMovieTheater24.html

KELTY360
Is that what's known as 'white noise'?

Car sounds as good as it looks......sweet.
iamchappy
The out of sync audio seems to add to the humor of it all.
lotus_65
the combination of the shame of my video ineptitude and the absolute thrill of rocketing cross the face of the earth at warp-fricken-speed is mind bending.

as bad as that vid is, chappy's car is beyond amazing.
iamchappy
I got out and did another video today with my dog Darla, this one is better, i figured out how to turn it on....

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchapman1/Twit...eTheater25.html

The clutch did not hold well today, on one run that i didn't video it slipped 5th real bad and i pulled some higher RPM's than i was comfortable with and got kinda scared.

This is the first time i have been able to analyze the A/R's and the Boost (hat cam worked), the top pillar gauge is my A/R and the bottom one the Boost the shift light is set at 6000 and i usually shift it around 6400, Boost looked good came up to around 14lbs
at the highest threshold, the A/R/s are all over the place. On WOT the mixture goes way rich down to 10 and the engine lags abit, then moves up to around 12 where it should be but i can see it climbed up towards 13 which is getting a bit leaner than i want, a flat 12 on boost would be optimal.

I can see the gauges great on my video capture because it is full screen and uncompressed.
I wish we had captured that run with Paul the other day in the infrared Twit video because the clutch held pretty good but what you can see, is how fast i run out of gears, i see the end of 5th so fast that i am always digging for an extra gear. It's hard to just let off of the gas when your out of gear and at redline. The good thing is that it limits me to a reasonable but insane speed. I really dont want to go 180 in this thing. driving.gif

Two things i need to do: idea.gif

A- Send my WUR out to Brian Leask and have him pre adjust it and make adjustable to my engine mods to help even out the A/R's.

http://members.cox.net/930wur/

B - Or get the new digital WUR for a few more $ and tune it with the laptop.

http://www.unwiredtools.com/utcis.html#UTCIS

C- Need to step up to a Kennedy Stage 3 pressure plate.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/porsc_pp.htm
rick 918-S
Very cool! aktion035.gif
iamchappy
I can turn the boost back down to around 10lbs and the clutch should hold but thats no fun...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 30 2008, 05:32 PM) *

I can turn the boost back down to around 10lbs and the clutch should hold but thats no fun...

You really need to get that thing on the track where it's safer though. huh.gif Like I should talk. happy11.gif
wbergtho
I really dont want to go 180 in this thing.
Maybe at BIR or a standing mile event...but on the street 180 is insane...I agree. With a 930 box you will be able to get that. Hell, you need a stronger box & clutch for that beast anyways...and best of all, you won't waste as much time shifting. As far as driving fast on the street...be careful. I know you realize that I would never exceed 120 MPH on the hwy. happy11.gif Glad you're having fun with your car. Feels good to be driving it instead of building it...huh? driving.gif

Bill
iamchappy
Do i need it to go more than 120? I dont plan on racing the thing, i imagine it goes close to 140, i haven't peeked at the speedo. i will have to set up the lap cam for that or teach Darla to film it, I am sure she could do as well as Paul and I.

As you can see i pick my spots, the one in the video is a free lane that runs right up to that exit. I dont want to get in the habit of doing this, but for the time being until i
get everything sorted out i may have to make a few short lived hammer down runs.

Even with the boost down to 10 the car is still plenty fast, just not as fast......
wbergtho
As you can see i pick my spots, the one in the video is a free lane that runs right up to that exit. I dont want to get in the habit of doing this

Chappy, I know you to be a responsible cool mannered guy. You no doubt pick the right time & place for such shenanigan's. That said, I'm not worried for you or the public...because you possess the proper judgment necessary to pick and choose the right place & time. And besides...cars like yours and mine accelerate so hard that a run up to 120 is something that literally takes around 10-12 seconds from a dead stop. From 70 mph, it takes about 5 seconds or so to hammer your car up to 120. Assuming you are doing this on a quiet stretch of 2AM freeway or a back country road, the only real threat I can see is a big fat ticket. When I drive my car I fantasize that the roads are all shut down like the Silverstate Classic so I can drive as fast as I want (and my car will go north of 180 MPH) but we all know this isn't possible and I find myself driving close to the speed limit 98% of the time. It's that 2% that could get me into some trouble...know what I mean?
iamchappy
Not only am i worried about getting a ticket but i cant get Darla to wear her seatbelt.
jfort
Just read the whole thread. I am in awe.
iamchappy
I am going to try and embed this slide show of my gauges behavior. i imposed the gauge faces so you can get an idea of the numbered markings.

[code]<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkoFgdHKcc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkoFgdHKcc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
Nor.Cal.914
Your car sounds exactly like my brother's '76 911 with a 3.0SC in it with B&B headers drooley.gif pray.gif that exhaust note when you start in 3rd is just flat out amazing! I love your car biggrin.gif
-Chris
byndbad914
without going thru the thread (lazy) are you using the 901 box as you stated you intended to on the first page?!
iamchappy
Yep, the 901 is still turning the wheels...
The clutch really slips running the boost at 14lbs, I will need a heavier pressure plate
if i want to run the boost 12lbs or over.

I hope to get into a stronger box next Spring.
byndbad914
I wouldn't even bother with trying to get a better PP frankly... I will go back and see if you have upgraded to a clutch master and slave hyd setup, but I had a KEP hi-perf PP in my 901 a long time ago and I couldn't keep a clutch cable in one piece for any real length of time. I think I broke 3 in one year.

And the disk diam is so small it isn't going to hold 320 ft-lbs (a guess on 187 cubes at about 1 atm of boost) and 380 HP very well... it takes a lot of spring force in that PP to make that stick and it is better to just upgrade to a better trans and a larger clutch. I know V8 guys use those transaxles up to 350 ft-lbs (supposedly tho' I have see them broken by that level) and the big KEP PP but many of those cars blow off the radials easily and don't slip the KEP clutch because of that... but put some slicks or sticky tires and get it to hook up and the clutch will slip.

Just focus on getting a better transaxle for your setup and save the money on a beefy PP and turn the boost back over the next few months until you can upgrade, no reason to waste money on a PP you won't want in a few months IMO.

The stock geared 930 would work well with your 930-ish setup. The limit isn't whether you want to go 120, 140 or 180 but what rpm you want to be turning at 75mph on the interstate - the high gear may be good for 160 mph at your max rpm but irrelevant to fwy cruising. If you think of gearing for 120 or 140 even you will be turning big rpm at fwy speed.

edit - "Kennedy stage 2 clutch and pressure plate with starter ring" - you already have this one?! Not much more you can do to keep the clutch from slipping.
iamchappy
The beauty of the turbo is i can dial it back as i did today to 10.5lbs. the clutch will hold and i probably am still transmitting over 300 hp.
Phoenix-MN
"am still transmitting over 300 hp."

I was wondering what that vibration was that I felt in ST Boni bye1.gif
iamchappy
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Oct 14 2008, 03:59 PM) *

"am still transmitting over 300 hp."

I was wondering what that vibration was that I felt in ST Boni bye1.gif

I hope it was the Alien . alien.gif
degreeoff
Chappy that thing sounds meaner than hell. I am SOOOooo Jealous!. Awsome ride dude!

Josh
iamchappy
Temps are decreasing around here and it will be time soon to put the HE's back on.
This will be a good time to drop the engine adjust the valves, retorque the headstuds and see if i can shore up the area it has been leaking oil.

I will inspect the clutch for glazing from it's slipping, and may opt for the stage 3 pressure plate for the time being. I hope to still drive my car until it snows, the Dot R tires are off and the all season ContiExtremeContacts on.

I had a chance to shoot some pictures of the car rolled out on the lawn last month and posted them here.

http://homepage.mac.com/davidchapman1/PhotoAlbum26.html
iamchappy
I talked to Kennedy today about my pressure plate and clutch, I am going to send it back to them for testing, they think they can make some adjustments to the pressure plate and make the change to a different clutch to make it hold without going to a Stage 3 setup.
jc914
I just finished looking at the entire post. I LOVE your 914. Great job smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif . Your workmanship is excellent WOW. Maybe one day mine will be like yours.
iamchappy
Thanks, I still have a few minor things to workout still with the clutch and oil leaks.

Just yesterday i noticed that i had my seats in wrong and had to swap my driver and passenger seat.

It has been great getting to the end of this project and enjoying the car the past few months, i will miss driving it when the snow flies, were expecting some this Sunday.
rick 918-S
mad.gif SNOW! mad.gif I hate effin snow dry.gif I was hoping to take one more run down to the metro and meet up with everyone before the big sleep sad.gif Lets hope spring comes early. blink.gif
iamchappy
There is still hope it wont stick. But remember Halloween 92 when we got the major storm. Instant winter.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 23 2008, 02:32 PM) *

There is still hope it wont stick. But remember Halloween 92 when we got the major storm. Instant winter.

Sandy and I were just talking about that. Bringing the kids trick or treating in the Samurai. Wading through deep snow drifts to get to the houses. What a nightmare! dry.gif

Ya, I was thinking maybe next weekend. Then snow won't stick. If I can get my injection sorted and oil leaks fixed.
John
Wow!

I'm glad you have it running now. I've only been on here infrequently as I'm still in the process of moving. (only about a month before we get our house).
iamchappy
biggrin.gif
I finally got the car back together since i tore it apart last Fall. The engine builder
would not stand behind his work and fix the oil leaks this time around unless i paid him again, fat chance that was going to happen. I was going to hold out and wait for more car fund money and ship the engine out to California for Henry Schmidt to fix. Henry was going to give me a screaming deal to rebuild it again from the ground up but at this time i just cant afford to to that.

So i decided to fix it myself...... blink.gif I pulled everything off with out pulling it apart. Hosed it down good with brake cleaner and when i was ready to re-torque everything back together i sprayed the engine down with Acetone. The Acetone rinsed anything oily left hidden out, and is thin enough to get into the slightest clearances. It also re-goo-afied the Curil T that was used as a sealant when it was built. I torqued everything and adjusted the valves.
I drove it yesterday for about a half an hour and Ollie and i just got back from a nice long drive and i can say my car is leak free atleast for now. piratenanner.gif
The engine leaked all the time before even idling, so this is a huge victory for me. smilie_pokal.gif
I am going to drive the crap out of the car now driving.gif and start to really really enjoy it.
Time to celebrate - cheers- beer.gif
Oh ya, the car made me look like this on a freeway on ramp w00t.gif
lotus_65
You rock.
iamchappy
Paul I pulled the upper valve cover off this morning and retorqued the one Headstud that i told you about that i had a hard time getting a clean torque on when i had the engine apart. Well that seemed to do the trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.