Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
rebelmdot
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 23 2007, 07:35 PM) *

Cap'n Krusty, the Pelican turbo guys came up with the air filter idea when the
Fabspeeds were selling for around 300.00 RarlyL8 swears by them.
http://www.rarlyl8.com/
These only cost 6 bucks to replace and they work on big 4 barrels, but I will keep
your suggestion in the back of my mind and check it out.

Dave at the bodyshop doing the buffing.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the attachments to use my dewalt tools as my buffer?
rebelmdot
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jan 31 2008, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 23 2007, 07:35 PM) *

Cap'n Krusty, the Pelican turbo guys came up with the air filter idea when the
Fabspeeds were selling for around 300.00 RarlyL8 swears by them.
http://www.rarlyl8.com/
These only cost 6 bucks to replace and they work on big 4 barrels, but I will keep
your suggestion in the back of my mind and check it out.

Dave at the bodyshop doing the buffing.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the attachments to use my dewalt tools as my buffer?

Where to start. When I was on Page 3 watching Dave Buffing, I thought by page 13 I would be seeing the Holy Grail of 914's and its exploits. So sorry for the (insert Shrek's voice) "hey,... where can I get the detailing shit for my car that Dave is using?" question, without first having acknowledged what a masterpiece you have built. I grew up in an environment that was not very mechanical, but I have resigned myself to recreating my 76 914 from scratch and by my hand. So, you are inspiring, your car is a testament to what a 914 can become................where can I get the detailing shit for my car that Dave is using, beerchug.gif when it looks as good as yours.
wbergtho
Hey Chap,

Your rear trunk is about as busy as mine!

Bill
iamchappy
Dave uses mostly 3m products, he has switched over to foam pads for the most part but still uses a wool or cotten for heavier compounds sometimes.

Any bodyshop supply store should have what your looking for. Try here

http://www.ketone.com/
iamchappy
Just to make everyone happy maybe i will take it for a spin in the slush and the salty slop. The oil leaks are minimal nothing a can of brake cleaner couldn't clean up...

Or I could wait till Spring!
rick 918-S
If you decide to take it out let me know. I'll be right down! laugh.gif

Or not.... confused24.gif Springs not that far away. biggrin.gif I think were down to something like 50 days! aktion035.gif
iamchappy
The only reason i haven't taken it out is it's not broken in yet I would hate to have to rescuff the cylinders and re ring it if it has to come apart.
iamchappy
beer.gif beerchug.gif bye1.gif
porschecb
Wow!!!!!!! Nice car!!!!!
Lou W
Chappy, your car sure is beautiful. beerchug.gif
iamchappy
Thanks Lou. This was taken in March 2006 about two years ago it has come a long way. Now back to more of this beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
iamchappy
Weather warmed up a bit today but not to much to really mess up the roads, so i loaded up the car and brought it into the shop for them to pinpoint the oil leaks. I will pick it back up early next week drop the engine and haul it back to them to fix hopefully I will have it back by Spring.

Notice the nice salt spray on my Jeep.

Here are a few shots of the shop surrounded by the thoroughbreds.

See all of you that plan on joining me tonight on the late night drinking thread. Im off to pickup more Surley Benders. beer.gif
iamchappy
For those who want to know, I took it for a spin out of the driveway and back onto the dolly, it just felt nice to drive it a few hundred feet and the engine sounded soooo good.......
rick 918-S
I hope when they see the car they will get how much work you put into making that animal. This should be a real priority for them. I'm glad to see you are moving in the right direction. smile.gif
iamchappy
Rick, just think of where the car was when you came down and you helped jump start and motivate me in getting it done, i owe you alot, Rick, you are the great 914 friend man guy dude of all time. Please visit me again soon, your the best!
Maltese Falcon
'Eh Chap...check your PM
you have mail !
Marty
lotus_65
i've never seen a 914 fit in so well with those other cars.
don't tell me it's NARP!
AgPete139
Woow! Melikes.... smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
I decided to remove the engine this morning, i stripped it down to the short block, loaded it into the back of the Cherokee, and dropped it off at the shop.
They said they will get right on it.
It took me about 3 hours to remove and strip down the engine so all and all it really wasn't so bad. I am sure it will take a little longer going back in because i will have to freshen up and re-clean all of the parts again.
I cant wait, Spring is in the Wintery air.

I gave them some Benders to try when i brought the car in for them to look at last week. They really like them...it's their new favorite. beer3.gif
rick 918-S
I am stoked for you man! Your really close this time!
dw914er
bitchin' car

its the final stretch

im sure we are all dying to see that thing tear up the streets
rusty914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 22 2008, 03:00 PM) *

Weather warmed up a bit today but not to much to really mess up the roads, so i loaded up the car and brought it into the shop for them to pinpoint the oil leaks. I will pick it back up early next week drop the engine and haul it back to them to fix hopefully I will have it back by Spring.

Notice the nice salt spray on my Jeep.

Here are a few shots of the shop surrounded by the thoroughbreds.

See all of you that plan on joining me tonight on the late night drinking thread. Im off to pickup more Surley Benders. beer.gif

I've never seen so many jealous 911's driving.gif
So.Cal.914
She's beautiful Chappy. Fine work...Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Feb 23 2008, 08:28 AM) *

i've never seen a 914 fit in so well with those other cars.
don't tell me it's NARP!
Nice car Chappy shocked[1].gif

It looks so rare, sitting amongst the tail draggers ... but does 'fit in'.

It's sort of akin to when I pull up to a custom cycle show riding a restored little Honda mini-Trail.
$100k+ machines sitting around and everybody starts congregating around it and reminiscing back to when they had one biker.gif
iamchappy
Nice mini trail!
So.Cal.914
Nice 50 Mark.
iamchappy
I talked to the shop today, they are busy getting it back together. They found a small chunk of metal in the sump screen so thought it best to tear it all the way down and take a look. I dont know where this metal is coming from but i hope there is no more surprise chunks still hiding.
They said it shouldn't be to long before it's all done.

I replaced the braided SS fuel lines i had running through the tunnel with Chris's Solid SS lines, I always have a hard time with the hose connections from the lines to the tank. I am considering doing those connections over with the hoses attaching to a coupler instead of going from the lines to the tank. It seems this would make things much easier to get to.
What have you guys done.
Phoenix-MN
Hey Chap,
If you remember I put AN fittings on the tank and ran short loops to the tunel lines. Come on over to look if you like.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=tank+AN
Click to view attachment
Paul
iamchappy
Maybe I should of used the blue push on fitting hose as it is more bendable than the SS stuff.

I have both, and at one time had the push on fitting blue stuff running down the tunnel.

The SS stuff is so damn stiff when the hose is that short.

I brazed 6AN fittings on my tanks tube fittings.
Sleepin
I would love to see a full size of that pic!

IPB Image

....I am following and drooling! idea.gif
euro911
Yeah, but you drool anyway Eric drooley.gif

laugh.gif
Root_Werks
Glad to see this thread is being kept up to date. I can't wait to hear about how this 914 drives!
driving.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 28 2008, 12:15 AM) *

Yeah, but you drool anyway Eric drooley.gif

laugh.gif

Well....yeah, but this is a badass car!
wbergtho
Hey Chap,

Good to hear the progress report. I suppose it won't be long before you're ripping down Hwy 7 (possibly breaking the speed limit?).

Bill
iamchappy
Speed limit is broken always regardless what car I'm in, UNLESS there is a cop behind me, then i drive like a saint.

I just had a scare a little while ago, a trimmed sheet of Durock cement board slipped out of my hand and knife edged right into the side of my car tearing a hole in the car cover. i swore a lot then i lifted the cover to inspect the damaged -----I lucked out it hit the Euro side maker light just behind the front flare grazed off and left a slight dimple in the clear coat that can be sanded and buffed out. I am amazed that the clear coat is still that soft. I think the Euro marker can even be buffed back to like new, But i had a minor shit fit over it before i had a looksey. I am now drinking a Bender and am going to pick up a Pizza and can the bathroom project till morning.

I did the finishing work on my front valance today and dropped it off at the body shop to get painted.
iamchappy
Good news engine could be ready in a week or so, in the mean time i finished up a few things.
I decided that i would like to have the option of having a roof that i could stow in the trunk just in case i wished to drive around top less, and still be able to secure the car if i went somewhere and had to lock it up and for iffy weather conditions. I will still use the regular top most the time when it is needed, i just wanted a backup top that can come with me.
I had to notch the rear of the top to accommodate the fresh air scoop that feeds the intercooler.
I also finished up fabricating my rear GT valance that i got from Maltese with some grill work .

My bathroom tile project has made a huge mess in the garage keeping the dust off of the car and its parts has been tough. beer3.gif

Back to drinking beer now.... beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
championgt1
Keep up the great work. I really like what you have done with the rear valance.
nsr-jamie
Wow! Just noticed this post now! I love these posts with photos of people and their cars and the hard work they put into them. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Your car is truly amazing!! I am going to be checking in every few days for some updates on it. I got some cool ideas too from you to do on my car as well...thanks and cheers!! beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
iamchappy
Racers trick, foaming the inside of the fiberglass flares to prevent star cracks from stones.

Also playing around with the idea of making a fire extinguisher mount that moves with the seat.

I think i am going to put in an onboard fire system but will keep the handheld also.
iamchappy
I made this today for the fire extinguisher. Seat rail mount.
Before i had it mounted on the floor and it sort of got in the way of my manuel trunk release knob.
I will post pictures of it mounted soon.
KELTY360
Very nice. That's a great idea!
iamchappy
I cant tell you how many jig saw blades i went through to cut it out of that chunk of aluminum, but it was many.
KELTY360
Did that start out as a piece of 3" angle?
iamchappy
3" U channel.
KELTY360
Why "U" channel? Angle not available?
iamchappy
It's scrap that i had laying around from this stair rail project. Which I should be working on instead of the car. I haven't finished my bathroom project either. I have been a bad boy. When the wife asks what i got done today you can bet i wont tell her..... and if i did. KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif KMA.gif
For a long time.
KELTY360
Nice design. But seriously, get that car finished. I'm hoping to see the final product while I'm still young.

Damn....too late.
iamchappy
Got the bracket done and mounted, and i like it.
Next up, on-board fire system, i ain't gonna let my car burn to death.
So.Cal.914
Hi, Is it going to get in the way of your belt? (P-5)
iamchappy
That eye needs to be moved back, it was mounted in the wrong spot by the last owner.
They are suppose to be under the seat area. He raced with it that way but all of the info i have seen on proper mounts for the sub strap show under your butt.

I dont plan on using the 5 point belts unless i change my mind about tracking it.
I am using the CG lock on my stock belt right now.

www.cg-lock.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.