Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing out the dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Jeff Hail
Lets burn some metal. Alchemy!!

Grinding the plugs is next. BTW.. the upper flange was welded on the inside as I pre-drilled the holes on the inner long. Makes for a better cleaner finished product on the outside.
Jeff Hail
I removed the brace just above the inner long before I welded the outer together.
The door gap stayed perfect.

Lot of talk lately on the site about twisted chassis when welding in roll cages and long reinforcements.

The only conclusion is "Occums Razor".. aka welding to fast. I burned the outer long in about 45 minutes while piping in air flow with an air nozzle laying inside the long. Just a bleed of air flow to cool the metal as I plugged along.

I would say I generated the same amount of heat welding the outer long as installing an Engman reinforcement. Weld slowly! Take your time.
Eric_Shea
Did ya notice the hinges? Weight Watchers for Fat Girls style.

Jeff, What method did you use to get the support bar out of the hinge?

(nevermind...upon further inspection, it looks to still be in place.)
Jeff Hail
Hi Eric
Jeff Hail
A few mnutes to play...

Final fitting of the rear outer rocker closing plate. Burn it in! I will grind all the welds down tomorrow.
Jeff Hail
Ok shit that hurts. Anyone who works with sheetmetal is gonna get a "hurts donut" inevitably. Got this one when the vise grip slipped and banged my knuckle on the edge where the qtr panel is cut off for access. Yep it went to the bone and was a bleeder. Probably should have gotten 3-4 stitches. No time but cyanoacrylate closed it right up.
rick 918-S
Nice work Jeff! thumb3d.gif REAlly nice gash! chowtime.gif biggrin.gif
Krank
A little lemon and salt on there and I bet the vodka would go down really fast! Nice thread Jeff, lots of great info for peeps of all levels here. Thanks for all the extra time spent on pics and documentation. It takes enough time just getting the work done.
Cairo94507
Wow; Jeff you are one talented man. Any chance you might move to Alamo California anytime soon? I would love to have your skill set.
d914
I WAS married to a red head!! Say no more I fully understand!!!!! smile.gif
Eric_Shea
One way to get some "gash" biggrin.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 28 2010, 09:14 AM) *

One way to get some "gash" biggrin.gif

It was the Nurse's recommendation to apply (cyanoacrylate) to my wound. Reminded me about the movie :What About Mary... "its a bleeder"! Ha!

I said what? She responded "its just Crazy Glue". I said I know but... she said "shut up and do it or your going to the ER"... ER holy crap? Not me...its just a flesh wound. The Nurse said its not a just a flesh wound... its serious because its been bleeding for seven minutes. I responded soooooooo. She said "you're such a typical male".. I responded with yep!

I laughed. I actually know how to install sutures...Ive done it in an emergency situation. Butterfly sutures to be exact. The ER Surgeon was impressed with my sewing capabilities. "He said he would have lost the leg". I responded "Singer would be proud".

Ok! Crazy Glue it is. Made my eyes water. The glue not the Nurse! It's hot... The Nurse not the glue.

The Red Head is still upset with me! Why me?
Jeff Hail
Grinding of the welds done.
Well maybe not! Ok almost. My knuckle hurts like a mother... " ....

Close enough. I little touchup with the Mig and its done. (unprimed area)

I'm going to bed! Between the Redhead and the Nurse I've just had enough...I'm done for now!
jonferns
Looking great! Very clean repair. Keep it up!
Gigamight
I just found this thread, been looking through and learning quite a bit. Thanks for all the pics, they're helping a newbie learn some tricks.

BTW... Redheads are crazy.......I mean SCARY crazy................I mean kill-you-in-your-sleep CRAZY!!! I'm just sayin. It's the freckles that pull us in.
Zardozz
My boss is a redhead. Ya just gotta say yes and nice shoes a lot smile.gif
Katmanken
Redheads never forget.

I know, been married to one for quite a while.

Jeff Hail
Oh and very familiar with them. I see the humor clearly. Afterall I am also a red head. I won't kill anyone in my sleep though.
Archie
I see you have the same MIG welder as I do. Do you ever feel the need for a TIG? I certainly could use one.

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 1 2007, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 1 2007, 10:43 PM) *

Wow :o

:wttc:

This'll be a fun one to watch.

And Eric I will be calling you.

Floor contd.
Damn cool welding helmet if you ask me!

Root_Werks
welder.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Archie @ Apr 6 2010, 09:45 AM) *

I see you have the same MIG welder as I do. Do you ever feel the need for a TIG? I certainly could use one.

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 1 2007, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 1 2007, 10:43 PM) *

Wow ohmy.gif

welcome.png

This'll be a fun one to watch.

And Eric I will be calling you.

Floor contd.
Damn cool welding helmet if you ask me!

I love my Miller 180. It performs very well. No complaints.

I always have a need to TIG. I let my friend handle the TIG for me. He is better than I and his welds look like liquid art. For the cost of a six pack it doesnt pay for me to purcahse a TIG unit.

Funny part is we did a test. I welded 35 gauage sheet steel with a MIG by using a really long ground cable. My welds came out better than his. The TIG could not be turned down enough and the bead was to proud. Everything has limitations.

We then turned to sheet aluminum. I gas welded mine and we did a distruction test which passed. The bead looked more like a blend with gas.

The TIG was a work of art on thin aluminum sheet. Nothing compares.

I always have a need to TIG.

BTW: I started a bathroom remodel so I stepped back from the 14 for a bit.

Jeff Hail
Oh PS... The Red Head is back!
Jeff Hail
Still here. Got sacked with some family issues and a bathroom remodel.
The Redhead is gone permanently and for whats its worth... its so peaceful without her drama.
Jeff Hail
BTW: If anyone is interested I have this for sale in the Ad's

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108345
Silverstreak
You had me worried there for a sec. I thought maybe you had to sell the project.
Jeff Hail
I never get rid of anything it seems.

Been busy... not as much as I'd like but busy.

Trouble I have now is all the stuff from the house remodelling in the garage.

Whats my tag line?
Jeff Hail
Shiny things are good.

Jeff Hail
A little time out for play.

Stopped by my friend Chris' house for an overdue visit. Hey and it only has just shy of 4700 miles on it.

Eric_Shea
Legend...
jmill
How the hell did I miss this one? Fantastic work. beerchug.gif
Jeff Hail
Filling up yesterday. Very cool pump display. 911 Turbo!
pcar916
... especially the part about filling up the gas tank in the rear of the 911! Like that's gonna happen. beer.gif
Jeff Hail
Things that spin!!

Most people don't think about this or even know about it. 1st and 2nd order vibrations. When things that spin go round and round they generate vibrations. Crankshafts, cams..etc. What you don't want in something that spins is an orbit or spinning off center due to imbalance by whatever cause. This creates a whole mess that I understand mentally but would rather not deal with. So I leave this to the professionals.. The guys who balance stuff that spins.

This is where the drag racing guys come into play. As they say if it spins balance it! We all understand that balancing is not just cool but critical.

Flywheel machined and brand spanking new Sachs Aluminum Power Clutch. Lets see how good the Sachs quality control is from a dynamic standpoint? Surprisingly it was lackluster.

Enter Dave Kemblowski aka "The Balance Shop"

Flywheel, ring gear and pressure plate balanced as a rotating assembly. I was surprised at how much material was removed to properly balance the new Sachs pressure plate. For the whopping sum of $45 Dave balanced the entire indexed assembly to exceed Porsche specification which normally is just the flywheel.

Check out the bore's that were drilled. Thats a lot of material. Small price to pay. Some may recall that Porsche had an issue with flywheel bolts loosening. This was rectified later with revisions and adding 3 more bolts to the flywheel. Like I said small price to pay.
jt914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Sep 10 2010, 11:07 AM) *

Filling up yesterday. Very cool pump display. 911 Turbo!

Ron......that's a '72 911 and they are putting gas in the oil tank......that's why it was changed and only that way in '72 only..... biggrin.gif
Jeff Hail
Damn Red Heads again. This one showed up at 3:00am and didn't leave for two days. Made all sorts of racket. They have an odd Narcissistic sense of entitlement. Go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Enough.......
Jeff Hail
Made some room in the shop. Enough to fend off garage fever.

Cut off the old left outer console.
Jeff Hail
Measure everything nine times. Remeasured again and triangulated again from every control point. Used Chris's supplied templates which so far are dead nuts.
Its cutt'n time.
euro911
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Aug 18 2010, 06:46 PM) *

I never get rid of anything it seems ...
Seems like you got rid of the RED HEAD poke.gif ... hair color doesn't necessarily make the situation any better, or worse - women are women. cheer.gif

Don't know how I missed this before. Excellent thread. first.gif

Jeff Hail
Product Placement (of the Foley kind)

Left pickup test fit...

Funny thought.. the rear suspension hardware was one of the first box's packed away when I tore down the car. Smartly labeled took me just a minute to find those 3 console bolts.

Jeff Hail
Cut out the right long and test fit the right pickup.

Dimensionally width wise its less than 1mm and height side to side is dead nuts.
Took some measurements in process and need to move the pickups forward 5mm to correct the wheelbase length to spec.

(Another plug for Mr. Foley and his precision. I call it Lana but he deserves the mention - Thanks Chris!!!!!!!!)

Jeff Hail
Moving the pickups 5mm forward to match factory wheelbase base will also separate the pickups by the desired 1/2 inch (1/4 inch per side). This will result in a total 1/2 inch wider track over stock. (think ahead?? wheel spacers maybe/ maybe not with 9 inch rear wheels). Worry about that when I get there. Also with a 3.2 six a little bit to spare is a plus.

Jeff Hail
Foley Pickups squared and tacked in.

So.... I need to build a Dummy Shock. How about a Multi-Tool instead???

Combo Wheel Bearing Puller -Dummy Shock ( 2 Inch Adjustable)
Jeff Hail
Went to trial fit the control arm... and snapped the zerk fitting.. Stuff happens..oh well.

Need to trim a bit off the long anyway to clear the pivot axis of the arm as it sits 2 inches higher now.
Hontec
Amazing work!! I love this thread! beerchug.gif
Jeff Hail
Trimmed the longs enough to mount the arms. Wheelbase is dead nuts. Total increase in track width is 24mm (12mm each side).

Checked camber without any shims. Left rear is 1-3/8 degree. Right rear is 1-1/2 degree.

Wiggle room. I'd rather have more camber without shims than less so I will tweak the left rear inner pickup downward prior to final burn in.

I will need to pull the hubs into the bearings next. To check the toe I would like to mount wheels so I can measure bead to bead.
Mike Bellis
Maybe I missed something. Why are you moving the trailing arms out? Great work by the way.
Eric_Shea
Mr. Hailpern, Hale-Bopp will be back before this thing is done! Worse yet... "my" car might be done before this one!! ohmy.gif

Hurry up damn it and... don't blame it on the redhead! lol3.gif

(keep up the good work chief... always an intriguing thread) smilie_pokal.gif
Jeff Hail
Love you too Eric!!
Jeff Hail
Pulled the frozen 911 hubs into the bearings. But first applied thread lock and torqued the bearing retainers. Everything that gets torqued to spec gets marked. No hindsight and oh Shi# did I do that crap? Cant forget the 5mm spacer.

Jeff Hail
In
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.