Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing out the dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Jeff Hail
Installing the seal then hub on the spindle.

Grease caps glass beaded and epoxy coated.

Poly Graphite bushings installed on the upper mounts.
Congrats and keep up the fantastic work. Enjoy a blessed holiday. piratenanner.gif
mrbubblehead
Jeff,
what are you using for wheel bearing grease? It looks like swepco cv grease.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 24 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Jeff,
what are you using for wheel bearing grease? It looks like swepco cv grease.

Short answer -

I've used Mobil 1, Valvoline 985 or 986 and Swepco 101. Will always use Moly based. I've never had a wheel bearing failure ever. Between those 4 I cannot tell the difference which is better. I like the Valvoline because it will flow but not sling.

I won't use blue based name brands from what I learned from motorcycle racing.

NEO, Redline and Krytox are great stuff but at 3x the price I have not seen bearings last any longer.

Swepco claims 500 degrees on the high end. If tapered roller bearings are seeing temps approaching 200 degrees a different problem is present that has nothing to do with grease unless its dry. That's too hot and usually way to tight.

I always pressure pack the bearings and fill the hub cavity 25% with grease. Any more and you can get grease purge. The inner seal is a good design from Porsche and the o-ring behind the bearing spacer stops everything else.

Lots of opinions on w/b grease. Choose your poison.

First key is properly seating the races, good lubrication and next setting the bearing load.

Merry Christmas
Jeff Hail
Quaker came out with a white paper on grease formulation from data taken from Indy car racing a few years back.

Its really interesting when it gets down to drag caused by grease and power losses. Obviously its biased on Quakers product line but the data is pretty accurate from what I have seen compared to other petroleum suppliers.

http://www.quakerchem.com/wp-content/uploa..._whitepaper.pdf
CptTripps
I do love this thread...
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Dec 25 2014, 02:40 AM) *

Quaker came out with a white paper on grease formulation from data taken from Indy car racing a few years back.

Its really interesting when it gets down to drag caused by grease and power losses. Obviously its biased on Quakers product line but the data is pretty accurate from what I have seen compared to other petroleum suppliers.

http://www.quakerchem.com/wp-content/uploa..._whitepaper.pdf

Jeff,
I love this thread, you are one smart/interesting/talented guy. smilie_pokal.gif
Tom
Jeff Hail
Post assembly fact checking aka anal retentive quality control.

Checking runout after assembly. Spot on right and left. I lost sleep last night. Woke up and thought I gotta double check these after I put them together.

Jeff Hail
Way back Machine

Have to weld up those trick rear backing plates. For some reason on 914's they are prone to fatigue cracks. This stuff is really thin. I measured it at 25 gauge at the thinnest area. My Miller 180 was turned down to under 1. About as low as it would go.

I'm not even going to use these on my car with the 911 rear parking brake mod.
Maybe someone here will end up with them? You never know? I might throw them in with the lot of parts going to the powder coater and then offer them up.

Jeff Hail
As the lyrics from the Scorpions go: "The bitch is hungry she needs to tell...So give her inches and feed her well"

This whore has an enormous hole!

FourBlades

Is that -16?

John
johnhora
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 5 2015, 10:24 PM) *

Way back Machine

Have to weld up those trick rear backing plates. For some reason on 914's they are prone to fatigue cracks. This stuff is really thin. I measured it at 25 gauge at the thinnest area. My Miller 180 was turned down to under 1. About as low as it would go.

Maybe someone here will end up with them? You never know? I might throw them in with the lot of parts going to the powder coater and then offer them up.

Jeff...what did those backing plate come off??....Thanks...John
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 5 2015, 09:07 AM) *

Is that -16?

John

Yes sir John
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(johnhora @ Feb 5 2015, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 5 2015, 10:24 PM) *

Way back Machine

Jeff...what did those backing plate come off??....Thanks...John

A 914.
Jeff Hail
Back on metal.

Slicing some 16 guage

Sheet metal Origami

Jeff Hail
I usually don't buy tools or equipment from HF other than disposables (nitrile gloves etc).

A couple of weeks ago I stopped in for a tent sale and picked up a "Scratch and Dent" welder cart. For a whopping $39.99 I nabbed the double wall cart with drawers. Its actually built pretty solid. It was missing the cable management hooks on one side but other than that I still can't find the scratch or the dent.

Jeff Hail
A couple hours later and a little re-paint, clearcoat, a call to my Miller rep for some decals and now a decent matching cart.

KELTY360
It even matches the blue tarp that's covering your car. Do we get to see what's underneath soon? smile.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 21 2015, 11:30 AM) *

It even matches the blue tarp that's covering your car. Do we get to see what's underneath soon? smile.gif

I really don't use it as a tarp. I use it as a tent when I media blast small areas. Keeps the little meteors from getting all over the place. Everything falls to the floor. Sweep, sift and reload.
mrbubblehead
nice score on the cart jeff. i ended up building my own.

IPB Image
Jeff Hail
Way cool. I was going to build one or buy a used pit cart but space is the final frontier.
Maltese Falcon
Gotta have my drink holder for iced TEA !Click to view attachment
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrlvqib94xQ

Simple. biggrin.gif
Battery-weld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5oLPLUzrM
Tools n more
914forme
Jeff, what color and who's product did you use for the green on your struts. Mine is original, faded and looks like crap.

And nice redo on the Harbor Freight Cabinet. If I payed $40 for the cart I would buy it also. Their tool chest seem to be the one thing they tend to over build. I have seen tons of people use their cabinets for the bases of benches, etc..
Jeff Hail
[quote name='914forme' date='Feb 24 2015, 06:41 AM' post='2150933']
Jeff, what color and who's product did you use for the green on your struts. Mine is original, faded and looks like crap.

PPG 46180

You can buy rattle cans of Farm and Implement Green that are pretty close.
914forme
[quote name='Jeff Hail' date='Feb 24 2015, 08:53 PM' post='2151177']
[quote name='914forme' date='Feb 24 2015, 06:41 AM' post='2150933']

PPG 46180

You can buy rattle cans of Farm and Implement Green that are pretty close.
[/quote]
Ha, I should have know, JD Green.

I shop that isle all the time, Signal Orange happens to be very close to Minneapolis-Moline Gold.

Thanks for the tip.
Jeff Hail
I did not realize how long its been since my last post. See what happens when you get to 50? Time flys when you're having fun.

mepstein
Jeff - first post Oct 2 2007, 12:35 AM poke.gif
KELTY360
Couple weeks?
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Dec 22 2015, 08:41 PM) *

I did not realize how long its been since my last post. See what happens when you get to 50? Time flys when you're having fun.

Jeff,
Long time no talk. I'mhappy to see your enjoying life vs primary focusing on your 914.
All the best.
cary
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 3 2007, 07:06 PM) *

Mocked up the inner and outer firewalls to see how everything fits. No welds just loose.

Any words of wisdom when it comes to installing the complete lower engine side firewall still having both heater tubes in place. Seems like the standard practice is cutting it in half. But I was hoping there is a more sanitary approach. The tubes really hinder your ability to get it into place.

My first thought is to make some cuts in the flange so I have the ability to bend the field portion. ????
Jeff Hail
It takes some jockeying to get it in with the air tubes not helping. I've had mine in and out for fitting of other pieces. Oddly it sometimes doesn't want to go in after it went in before.

To make matters even more jungle jimish the clutch and throttle conduits installed fight me all the way. I welded my PMS mount to the bulkhead out of the car which makes it impossible to bow the panel for insertion.

So you ask is there a way? For me the inner reinforcement goes last. Its pre fitted. I usually start the lower firewall in a semi tipped horizontal position (like a drawer and then bring it down like a garage door). You can tweek the sides where it meets the longs by bending the ears a bit vertically just inboard of the air tube exits. Then I insert the inner reinforcement which is a pain to get it under the tunnel lips.
Push everything forward.

I would pre fit everything a few times, trace any marks where you want to pre punch any holes for the welds, grind any weld landing zones clean at mating points. Self tapping screws secure the fit up.

There will be blood!

doug_b_928
Hi Jeff. In post #191 (linked below) you show your repair to the outer right wheelhouse. Newbie question: In places you have clecos on the original wheelhouse. So, did you leave little tabs on the repair piece and flange them so they'd tuck under the original wheelhouse, then drill the 1/8" hole through both for the cleco?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1001455
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Jan 16 2017, 06:35 PM) *

Hi Jeff. In post #191 (linked below) you show your repair to the outer right wheelhouse. Newbie question: In places you have clecos on the original wheelhouse. So, did you leave little tabs on the repair piece and flange them so they'd tuck under the original wheelhouse, then drill the 1/8" hole through both for the cleco?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1001455

The repair panel was left a little large since I don't care to butt weld aprons or wheel houses. Pretty thin metal in those areas around the height of the battery tray so a little extra as a backer serves well to burn into. I used a small bead on on both sides instead of one fat hot bead since its visible from both sides.. The tail end of the repair panel was a butt weld to the wheelhouse. Both the panel removed and the repair panel have two larges hole in them for alignment of the outer console. The repair panel didn't overlay the old panel perfectly so the clecos were used to position it until I was satisfied where its permanent home would be versus having to use self tapping screws in, out, in out, in out. Just saved time in the fit up.
doug_b_928
That's very helpful, thanks Jeff.
Jeff Hail
Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3kLOnEKbuW0
KELTY360
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 24 2017, 03:55 PM) *

That was fun! That road surface looks really rough. Was it that way back in the day?

Are you still working on the 914?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 24 2017, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Feb 24 2017, 03:55 PM) *

Enjoy!

That was fun! That road surface looks really rough. Was it that way back in the day?

Are you still working on the 914?

Its been paved completely from the 101 fwy to Encino Hills Drive once in my lifetime. Its been patched and paved in sections depending on which celebrity cries the loudest or if a washout occurs. Its always been pretty rough. Pot holes are good for the reflexes.

Yup still working on the 914 as much as I can. Life happens and somethings take a back seat.
Jeff Hail
Ran into Aaron Schwartzbart. Trailer got a flat tire on his way home from the track. Interesting guy: ex rocket scientist turned pastor. Does a great job of getting guys off of street racing and onto the track.

Nice car with a 383 stroker and a 930 trans. There is a YouTube video of this car doing a 180mph dyno pull.
sb914
Beautiful car !!
tygaboy
Interesting rear wing location. I understand it's critical to get the wing up high. This one's mounted farther forward than most I've seen.
I'm not smart enough to know anything but I wonder how that might impact aero.
Farther back = more leverage?

Either way, I like the aesthetic. Great looking car (it's giving me some ideas for mine!)
Tbrown4x4
My guess is that the location is above the suspension/tire contact patch.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 20 2017, 09:13 AM) *

Yep, I get that. I was just wondering:
if you put 10 lbs (of force) directly above the contact patch, you'd see 10 additional lbs at the contact patch (less whatever % transfers to the front axle line). But if you put 10 lbs at the end of the trunk, would that give you more at the contact patch?
I'm sure there are formulas for this sort of thing.

Way off topic, sorry... back to your regularly scheduled awsomeness of Jeff's work!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 20 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Ran into Aaron Schwartzbart. Trailer got a flat tire on his way home from the track. Interesting guy: ex rocket scientist turned pastor. Does a great job of getting guys off of street racing and onto the track.

Nice car with a 383 stroker and a 930 trans. There is a YouTube video of this car doing a 180mph dyno pull.

Surely a Pastor that send or share the bible verse! John 3:16. God Bless you!
NS914
Hey Jeff,

Did you ever finish your 914....and what about that Headlight Solution....love the work on the brakes!

Grant
mbseto
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 20 2017, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Mar 20 2017, 09:13 AM) *

Yep, I get that. I was just wondering:
if you put 10 lbs (of force) directly above the contact patch, you'd see 10 additional lbs at the contact patch (less whatever % transfers to the front axle line). But if you put 10 lbs at the end of the trunk, would that give you more at the contact patch?

You'd be stealing it from the front wheels. I.e., the leverage from moving the wing back would be using the rear wheels as a fulcrum and lifting that extra force (weight) off the front wheels.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(NS914 @ Jun 29 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Hey Jeff,

Did you ever finish your 914....and what about that Headlight Solution....love the work on the brakes!

Grant

Still a work in process. Little work here and there. Its not my first priority right now.

In May 2016 I was thrown a hard fast curveball.

My heart stopped three times on three separate days over one month. Wasn't a heart attack or stroke. No A-Fib. No brain damage. No clogged arteries. Not orthostatic hypertension. Strong heart: normal rhythms and waves. I eat healthy, stay fit, 4 beers in 3 years, avoid drama and toxic people. Still wonder why this happened?

After the first time cardiologist hooked my up to a 12 lead for 24 hours, nada nothing. CT's nada. Multiple MRI's nada. Sent me home with a 5 lead flight recorder.

Over the next three weeks two more times. Imagine your heart not beating for two minutes? Doctors refer to it as "Zero Time" when the heart does not pump oxygenated blood to the brain. Everything stops lights out I'm dead.

Cardiologist: "Hey Jeff congratulations you died three times and lived to tell about it".

Tests, tests, tests. The Tilt Table test was not fun. Its performed in a full cardiac unit with two Docs and two ER nurses. I'm thinking this is serious stuff. Its: 6:00am and the room is kept 60 degrees which I found odd.

The TTT is designed to make you black out. Good part is I didn't pass out. Humans are not designed to stand still for 1 hour upright at a 70 degree angle (yes 70 degrees because your body and inner ear cant tell if you are up or laying down). It is designed to increase your heart rate by constriction (or lack of) in the lower body until it just doesn't pump anymore blood or pool down into the legs.

Test begins laying down for 15 minutes while they baseline your vitals. Then they tip you up at 70 degrees for 1 hour until time up or you go out which ever comes first. Old people are usually only tested for no more than 20 minutes and only make it about 10 minutes before they go down. The spooky part is when you start the test they stick a butterfly in your arm connected to a big syringe loaded with quite a bit epinephrine.. and tape fib paddles to your ribcage. The table is parked next to fully stocked red roll away SnapOn CRASH CART.

Doc "were going to try to make your heart stop, the epinephrine along with a few joules going through these paddles will jump start your heart if it stops. Its safe we do this everyday and your in great hands. We will bring you back to life. Stand still, no moving, don't pump your legs and no talking". The whole time I'm visualizing the scene with Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction getting stabbed in the tit with a really long needled epi-injector plus jumper cables!

This was where I learned to really trust the cardiologist. ( seriously )

I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky, like I need more epinephrine? I don't think so Doc. At the 20 minute mark you start getting warmer because the heart is working harder. At 30 minutes you start breaking a good sweat and everyone starts watching you really closely. Then the Doc says "Jeff if you feel like you are going to go out just let it happen, we will bring you back to life". I can see the display with my vitals, heart rate like 160bpm now ( remember its designed to make this happen). At 45 minutes one nurse is on my right at the ready to push the plunger on the liquid high octane adrenaline, the other nurse on my left is ready to drop the table down flat. Doc has his finger on the jumper cable button, other Doc is watching my eyes for roll up not saying a word.

I can tell its close, I can feel it in my legs. At one point I'm thinking happen already get it over with so I can get out of here. The human body has a built in safety mechanism. Various baro-sensors in the body detect pressure, too much or lack of. Through the vagus nerve it communicates with what's called the 10th cranial nerve via parasympathetic control with blood vessels, arteries etc so the body can route flow and volume to keep pressure regulated.

Then the medical establishment comes up with that neat hat trick using the 70 degree posture trick to fool that body system to make it all fail.

Part of that built in safety system as any pilot or someone who has experienced high G-forces is our toes and feet and they did not make me take my shoes off. I start curling my toes and pushing with my feet hard to where it hurts. I'm trying to not make it obvious because its considered cheating the test. My heart rates starts to come down to 130. Everyone in the room starts to relax. Nice nurse on my left taps my arm and says "your doing great only 10 more minutes". What 10 more minutes? Are you frigging kidding me?

Now I'm getting spanky, my own adrenaline has kicked in. Listen the only thing going out is the five of us for drinks when we get done? They thought that was funny.

Doc asks are you skrinching your toes? Damn right I am, nobody is going to black out today especially me! "Doc, that's a good sign the vasoconstriction system is working as it should... see if you can keep it up for another 5 more minutes". Test winds down. My body temperature is 101 degrees and now I know now why they keep the room at 60. They drop the table down flat. Done. Made me drink 2 liters of water before I could stand up on my feet.

Two minutes of zero time that changed everything from that moment on. I'm ok. Still do not know what caused it. Its a mystery. Stumped more Doctors because they thought it was syncope at first. Nope syncope only lasts a few seconds. Not POTS either...

Cardiologist thinks is was hypovolemia. Not enough blood. Kind of like when a Berkley Jet on a boat cavitates and no longer pushes water out the nozzle to push the boat forward. Hell of an analogy isn't it? I drink 5 liters of water per day now. Piss like a herd of race horses. Its supposed to keep my blood volume high. Easy fix considering the alternative. Its similar to how people die from extreme dehydration. Dehydration was ruled out but symptoms are the same.

I have a great Cardiologist who is also good friend now. The guy runs 16 miles day. He had to stop midway twice during this years LA Marathon to assist runners who were passing out and needed medical attention.. and he still finished the marathon. Yup that's my Doc who everyone saw on TV saving people who failed to train and condition themselves. He wont admit it when I tell him he is an adrenaline junky too just on a different path.

Here I am today. A very different person. How I approach and look at life. Hearts do not beat forever. I'm quieter and live on my own Hawaiian time now. It works. I look at this experience as a blessing. Every day is a gift and that's how everyone should look at it. No one ever taught me how to give up. I mean that.. I really don't know how to give up. Gods is not done with me on this earth. The universe has a way of getting your attention.

I have not stopped working on my 914. Its just simmering for now. Been enjoying some other non transportation related things though.

Life is long.
Life is not a dress rehearsal..
Play hard and get dirty!
Jeff Hail
and one more thing!

No pity, not looking for sympathy. I'm not going on the dead fairy list any time soon.

Don't be clogging up my thread. Stuff happens in life.
altitude411
Fantastic writing and some serious content to go along with it. Thanks for the update Jeff. Congratulations on being a contestant on Stump the Cardiologist. Keep winning the game.

* sorry about this clot in your thread.
sixnotfour
Life is long.
Life is not a dress rehearsal..
Play hard and get dirty!
beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.