Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Nocturnal_breed @ Apr 9 2004, 11:29 AM)
rich,

Just wondering if you can give me the total height available from the crank bolt to the top deck cover & from the tranny bell housing to the rear firewall at its shortest point. just looking into a few other options and need to know how much room i have available.

Keep up the good work

Are you asking for the measurement from the center of the crank to the engine lid? My rear firewall between the engine bay and the rear trunk is no longer stock. My engine is currently out on the stand. I'm busy installing new seals, gaskets, hoses, and building and finishing brackets and mounts. I won't have it back in the car until next weekend. I'm waiting on a tensioner from 928 International. I'll post pictures when I get it back in. Here's a picture of the underside of my new rear bulkhead.
rick 918-S
Update: fab'd a bracket to move the alternator from the left (shift linkage side) to the right. Had the big Marchal alternator rebuilt today.

The custom 928 flywheel and 914 pressure plate is out getting resurfaced. I bit the big one and had a custom 6 spring and 6 kevlar puck clutch made. I should have all the clutch stuff including a new "T" bearing on monday.
rick 918-S
Got the 911 starter today! Oklahoma Forgien, $50.00. the tag says 1988 but the solinoid has a Bosch reman sticker on it. So it is probably newer replacement.
Joe Ricard
Rich as you may remember I have a 78 928. If you have the Euro engine pre 84 then you got CIS K jetronic and the 81 vaccuum diagram posted earlier is CIS with Lambda KE jetronic. It's close but the warm up regulator is different. You wont have the same pressure regulator. Control pressure is done by the warm up regulator which will push more gas through the fuel distributor as vaccuum changes.

Don't look at your post often because I just get to many wild ideas.

Pm me and I can get you want else you need pics wise. Tough to see under the spider. I do have the small Bosch CIS maintance tune up book. BTW nice red fuel lines.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 10 2004, 07:48 PM)
Rich as you may remember I have a 78 928. If you have the Euro engine pre 84 then you got CIS K jetronic and the 81 vaccuum diagram posted earlier is CIS with Lambda KE jetronic. It's close but the warm up regulator is different. You wont have the same pressure regulator. Control pressure is done by the warm up regulator which will push more gas through the fuel distributor as vaccuum changes.

Don't look at your post often because I just get to many wild ideas.

Pm me and I can get you want else you need pics wise. Tough to see under the spider. I do have the small Bosch CIS maintance tune up book. BTW nice red fuel lines.

Cool, Just got in from untwisting the spagetti. I've been staring at wiring diagrams for about 6 hours today. I wanted to eliminate the relay board but I'm finding it a natual place to mate the two harnesses. I just posted over on the rennlist BBS looking for some assistance in identifying a couple of sensors. Their function and what they are connected to.

Speaking of vacum connections... Do you know where this port connects?
Joe Ricard
Back of throttle body on drivers side. the other one (not circled goes to the passenger side of throttle body below the deceleration valve.

Dude this will never work You need to send me that Euro motor.(too clean) warm up regulator should sit sideways not fore and aft. just my .928 cents worth. I will trade you for a running engine. rolleyes.gif

beer.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 11 2004, 02:32 PM)
Back of throttle body on drivers side. the other one (not circled goes to the passenger side of throttle body below the deceleration valve.

Dude this will never work You need to send me that Euro motor.(too clean) warm up regulator should sit sideways not fore and aft. just my .928 cents worth. I will trade you for a running engine. rolleyes.gif

beer.gif

Thanks! Sorry can't convince me to ship you the motor. laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Here we go.. Just picked up the flywheel and pressure plate from getting faced.
rick 918-S
This is what my flywheel looks like from the back. Check out my 6 spring, 6 puck disc! Kevlar material.
Eric Taylor
Looks really cool! Are you gona use a standard cable system for the clutch, or go hydrolic (sp) or some other route?
Eric
rick 918-S
QUOTE(73/2.0 9fourteen @ Apr 14 2004, 09:38 PM)
Looks really cool! Are you gona use a standard cable system for the clutch, or go hydrolic (sp) or some other route?
Eric

I purchased a new cable from Pelican about a year ago....(has it been that long? sheeess)
Freedom
this is great, i might actually go into my garage and pull the motor out of my car to do the rotary converion.

you motivate me!.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 15 2004, 07:36 AM)
this is great, i might actually go into my garage and pull the motor out of my car to do the rotary converion.

you motivate me!.

Start a progress thread and post pictures. You will be surprised how motivating that is.
rick 918-S
Painted the engine compartment today. It's ready for the motor! smilie_pokal.gif

I picked up the custom flywheel from the engine balancers today. It took very little work to balance.

I went to install the custom disc and realized that the center hub on the 928 side hit the pilot bearing mount. It held the disc away from the flywheel about 3/8 of an inch. I figured I may as well try to fix it or I was going to have to eat the thing.

Well after about 30 minutes on the bench grinder I managed to fix the thing. Here's a photo of the repaired disc next to the stock 928 disc.
The best thing; After assmbling the clutch and installing the transaxle I pulled out the booster charger and cranked the thing over!

The motor and transaxle are no longer a test mule. They are connected with a clutch and the starter cranks it! COOOL! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Here is the clutch prior to grinding.
Eric Taylor
COOL! smilie_pokal.gif It's getting closer! Man, it sure will be sweet when that thing runs.
Eric
Gint
smile.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I wanna see that shiny engine compartment Rich!
rick 918-S
<!-- QuoteBegin-73/2.0 9fourteen+Apr 18 2004, 11:17 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(73/2.0 9fourteen @ Apr 18 2004, 11:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> COOL! smilie_pokal.gif It's getting closer! Man, it sure will be sweet when that thing runs.
Eric <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Ya, Getting closer but not running yet. The motor and transaxle are still on the stand. But at least I know the starter will engauge. With all the mods I made with a bench top drill press and a router I was hanging everything on my reputation. Nothing I've done to this point has been proven. I'm one step closer to success. I am a true DIY'er. I would have done the flywhel fabrication and balancing too if I had a way to spin the thing. laugh.gif Ok, I'm getting carried away here. But I am mildly relieved knowing I managed to pull this one off so far. cool_shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 19 2004, 04:24 AM)
smile.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I wanna see that shiny engine compartment Rich!

dead batteries in the camera! I tried.
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 3 2004, 09:49 AM)
Perfect picture for a KY-Jelly advertisement! laugh.gif

...enough KY will get it in!

Might need this lube for insertion. lol2.gif

If you don't get it, follow the pattern of the posts and where she's sitting. blink.gif
rick 918-S
Speedo cable back in, New fuel lines in and routed. They are installed and routed together inside shrink tube.

New Clutch cable, throttle cable, go in tonight.

I'm waiting for a conversion kit for the removal of the oil lines and the motor is ready to go in for good.
rick 918-S
everything is back in the tunnel. Motor is now on the mounts. Everything clears at the bulkhead. Speedo cable length is fine. Clutch cable is connected.
rick 918-S
speedo cable...
rick 918-S
Full screen engine lid. Tomorrow is a big garage clean up day and I start connecting the engine electrical. The clock is ticking!
iamchappy
Good work, nice to see it all coming together. It almost lives. Like Frankenstein it needs electricity to get the heart started. Send up the kite.
maf914
Rich,

What kind of tranny mounts are those in your photo?

Mike
rick 918-S
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 21 2004, 04:45 AM)
Rich,

What kind of tranny mounts are those in your photo?

Mike

Custom made by me like the rest of this thing. The mount is made out of flat bar and high durometer plastic. (commercial cutting board material laugh.gif ) It moves the assembly back 1.5"
JmuRiz
Most impressive alien.gif

Can't wait to see the completed pictures...and a video of it running, oooooo. Keep up the good/creative work.
Rusty
Are you going to have eerie green lights pulsing in the engine compartment and under the rockers? alien.gif

Okay... under the rockers may be a bit ricey.

-Rusty smoke.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 21 2004, 07:01 AM)
Are you going to have eerie green lights pulsing in the engine compartment and under the rockers? alien.gif

Okay... under the rockers may be a bit ricey.

-Rusty smoke.gif

I've got a bunch of 17 year olds around here. They wanted green face gauges, green neon glowing from under everything. I've kept it simple so far.... Hard to stay the course thou..
rick 918-S
We had an exciting night tonight. I started to sort out the flat connector from the relay board to the engine. There is still a bunch of work to do before we can test drive this thing but I tickled the key and the motor cranked over! The thumping low tone of the pistons coming up on compression and wooshing the air out the open exhaust was exhilerating!

I had to order a custom fitting today to relocate the oil pressure sender. It won't be in until next week. So no oil in the engine yet. So if things go well I will be able to fire it up with in the next 7 days.

I'm cutting this real close. But that's all part of it. In the last two weeks before the classic it will be 24-7.
Steve Thacker
Rich,
I feel I need to note something out in the open. I have been following this discussion for some time. I have to say you are the most industrious person I know of. Everytime I turn around you have completed something major on this car. Talk about rapid milestones! Anyways keep up the good and hard work. I hope the alien project sets a pivot of achievement for others to emulate. Maybe not in the same way, but in the way that nothing is impossible to do with a little imagination, time and a strong determination. It is certainly one of a kind. You have more guts than I, to tackle such a seemly endless vertical challenge. Motivates me to read each post you make on the status of this car. I hope to see this car in person one day clap56.gif
rick 918-S
<!-- QuoteBegin-Steve Thacker+Apr 23 2004, 04:05 AM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Apr 23 2004, 04:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> Rich,
I feel I need to note something out in the open. I have been following this discussion for some time. I have to say you are the most industrious person I know of. Everytime I turn around you have completed something major on this car. Talk about rapid milestones! Anyways keep up the good and hard work. I hope the alien project sets a pivot of achievement for others to emulate. Maybe not in the same way, but in the way that nothing is impossible to do with a little imagination, time and a strong determination. It is certainly one of a kind. You have more guts than I, to tackle such a seemly endless vertical challenge. Motivates me to read each post you make on the status of this car. I hope to see this car in person one day clap56.gif <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Thanks for the support! I need it. It's hard to go out there every night til midnight. I try not to work past 2:30 am.

If I didn't need money I would do this full time. I can't tell you all how much I enjoy working on cars. Not the greasy stuff. I hate getting dirty. I'm not into the basic bolt up stuff. I really like doing things that are a stretch. To give you an idea, my next conquest is going the be an E30 BMW. To the non BMW guys that's like a 1990 3 series car. I located a complete 1989 BMW 750IL donor. Picture the little 2 door slammed, tucked, and tweeky with that big 12 cylinder stuffed under the hood! Biggest part of that conversion will be the wiring. OBC, duel drive by wire throttle motors (high side of $800.00 ea,), twin AFM, etc.

Ya, I'm car crazzzy!

BTW, I'm going to try to make the MWC this year as well. Maybe we can meet there!
DuckRyder
my next conquest is going the be an E30 BMW. To the non BMW guys that's like a 1990 3 series car. I located a complete 1989 BMW 750IL donor.  

That is going to be sweet too.

There is a guy who has stuffed a V-8 into an E21 that is pretty killer if he ever got it running.

Check it out http://www.sterling-carcare.com/YeloCar/

750 engine uses 2 completely seprate motronic systems, it is basically 2 m-30 6 cylinders mmerged and runs a fuel injection system for each bank (at least the early ones do.)

A 750 is fast and its a barge, imagine what it would do in an E30 body! I chased one around road atlanta in my 2.9 litre 323i. Never could pass the bastard.............

IPB Image

Can't wait to see the alien finished. Maybe we need a new saying "You can't put a 928 motor in a 914" pray.gif
Steve Thacker
Rich,
I'm pushing to complete also for the MWC this year. I have to build some quick speaker boxes to replace the factory ones on the kick panel. Ya I know, I'm too cheap to spring for the ones on ebay. I have close to $15,000 now in my car and I have to call the dog off the tracks somewhere. Good thing I do everything except body and paint work. My apologies to the person on this board for not purchasing the new speaker panels. smile.gif They are well worth it no doubt, but I'm a DIY fella. The last thing is have the paint touched up and the engine fine tuned. then off to the show!!!!
cha914
Rich,

Great to see you are finally reaching your goal...and fast...I remember when I first got started in the 914's seeing the beginning of your project, and always thinking...will he ever get done with that thing?...but after spending almost 4 years getting my car to where it is I have alot of respect for all your work, and can't wait to see the finished product.

OH and I am sure you have seen this already, but in case you hadn't - e30 w/ v12 goodness:

IPB Image
IPB Image

from this site:
http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i..._uebersicht.htm

Yours,

Tony - also an e30 nut -
DuckRyder
IPB Image

Oh man wub.gif pray.gif

5 lugs and M5 wheels (less vanes) too. Schweettttttttt

Robert < General BMW nut with E21 soft spot.
crash914
Yea, I got an e21.....1979 320i.....I was also thinking about a v-8...I just happen to have a ford 302...... idea.gif idea.gif
DuckRyder
I've had those same thoughts, very preliminary measurments indicate it would fit nicely.

If you aren't already you should sign up on the digest.

List instructions:
Post message: BMW_E21_Digest@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: BMW_E21_Digest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: BMW_E21_Digest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: BMW_E21_Digest-owner@yahoogroups.com

BMW E21 Digest FAQ:
http://www.e21bmw.net/faq

Pre-YahooGroups Digest Archives:
http://silkpresence.com/BMW/search.html

URL to this page:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW_E21_Digest

Now that we pulled this one completely off topic. wink.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(cha914 @ Apr 23 2004, 07:09 AM)
Rich,

Great to see you are finally reaching your goal...and fast...I remember when I first got started in the 914's seeing the beginning of your project, and always thinking...will he ever get done with that thing?...but after spending almost 4 years getting my car to where it is I have alot of respect for all your work, and can't wait to see the finished product.

OH and I am sure you have seen this already, but in case you hadn't - e30 w/ v12 goodness:

IPB Image
IPB Image

from this site:
http://www.bmw-power.de/Fahrzeuge/E30_350i..._uebersicht.htm

Yours,

Tony - also an e30 nut -

Yes I have seen it! It's coool! There is very little info on line about the workings of the V12. The guys that have them don't work on them. The V12 looks like a nice fit in the E30 chassis. The E36 front suspension bolts in as well. (5 bolt and big brakes) I guess the Z3 rear trailing arms fit as well for the rear 5 bolt conversion.

Man did we De-rail this one! lol2.gif
rick 918-S
All electrical connections to the engine are finished. Thermo time, cold start, alternator, starter, MSD, Blaster 2 coil, all mounted and done.

I have one more minor setback. I need the harness side of the distributor connector. The 928 has a duel sheilded wire. I have a friend that works at the salvage yard where I purchased the engine clipping one for me. I won't have it until Thursday!

Waiting for my gauges to show. I purchased two VDO temp gauges. One for the engine and one for the radiator.

Also ordered an electric VDO 150 lb. oil pressure gauge. Waiting for a reducer fitting for the oil pressure sensor to arrive.

Still need to wire my VDO volt meter.

I have every thing for the fuel system. I'm starting to connect it all up after work this week. I also need to finish the cooling system this week. including the temp sensor switch for the fan control.

I finished the shift linkage today. installed and adjusted.

Axles ready to go in. Need flange gaskets.

I'm traveling out of town for work next sunday evening, monday, tuesday, returning home wednesday night! I hope to here the engine at least fire before I leave. I couldn't be cutting it closer.
rick 918-S
First chance I had to post since last weekend. It turns out I needed a spark box between the distributor and the MDS 6AL. Not simply a Bosch connector. So I couldn't finish the ignition system on Friday night.

I worked on the water connections from the block to the radiator. That's about 70% done now.

I made some calls to a few import car guy's I know on Saturday night. I managed to scrounge a complete Bosch spark box and harnesss from a Volvo. A friend of mine had one and told me he would bring it over on Sunday morning. I worked on the plumbing for the cooling system until 4:00 am on Sunday.

I knew this friend of mine was coming over and didn't want to miss him so I woke up at 6:30 am. I made coffee an went back out to work. About 9:30 am the parts arrived. After about 10 minutes of studying the wire diagram with my reading glasses I made the connections. I twisted the key and we had a huge, FAT, blue lightning bolt flash off the coil wire!!! smilie_pokal.gif

I finished the perminent wiring for the spark box. I had to stop working at 3:30pm to get ready for a trip. I spent the rest of the day (arrived at 11:00pm dragging tail!)driving to Des Moine for a mandatory company training.

So I'm currently in Des Moine. if anyone in the club lives here and wants to hang out tomorrow leave a message for me at the down town Marriot. I'm stuck here until Wednesday.

I'm done at noon on Wednesday and will be home by about 7:00pm. I will finish the fuel system and test fire the motor this weekend. huh.gif
Gint
Yah! w00t.gif Go Rich! boldblue.gif I want a sound clip when you get it goin.
JmuRiz
Sweet, can't wait to see pics of exhaust coming out the pipes.

BTW did Des Moines change it name to Des Moine w/o me knowing it, hehe biggrin.gif
DrifterJay
the man never sleeps....amazing work and determination....I hope I can have half your passion for my projects in coming years.... smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
There is 24 hours in a day. I'll sleep when I'm dead! I'm going crazy here because I can't work on the car. I gave the kids about 5 big jobs to complete while I'm out of town. I hope they get things done.... unsure.gif
ablose58
Keep on keep in on rich! smilie_pokal.gif Many hurdles done with more to go! But I see light at the end of the tunnel or is that a pot'o' gold at the end of the rainbow? You rock man, A man after my own heart! aktion035.gif AL
rick 918-S
BTW: I spoke with my upholstry guy last night. I think he will be done with my seats. He lives 150 miles away from me but I go right by his place on my trip home from Des Moine! cross your fingers for me!
rick 918-S
I'm back home from my trip. No work done on the car since sunday, no shop cleaning done. The kids had a school project they needed to complete. My oil pressure gauge didn't show, and the seats weren't done. I did get to see them in progress. They are going to be outragious! I'm back at it tomorrow after work. I will test fire the motor this weekend. I'll see if I can have the kids do a video clip with sound!
rick 918-S
Hey Geoff! Did you send me these? COOOOL! These were waiting for me in my mail!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.