Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
jim912928
**** **** HEADLINES **** **** Area 51 moves to MN!
ClayPerrine
Should we call the National Inquier?
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
transaxle update smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Dual valve spring?
majkos
Rick?
I see you can weld alumimum.
What's your desirable amps setting?
I wanna do alum. but know nothing.
I'v a nice welder with argon, but the machine rated 50 amps,
and this house has only 60!

Kinda guessing I shouldn't need too much,for the fact,alum. has low melting point.
fiid
Looks good - dig the pictures. Like Tom says - keep up the good fight.

I was wondering also if you'd considered getting some headers on there??

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
Rick! Nice work. It looks familiar. I lave 928 engines! biggrin.gif

Majkos, Aluminum takes a AC capable TIG to weld well. It takes lots more amperage because AL dissipates heat so well. Visit a local welding shop to pick up some scrap AL to practice on. Most hardware store AL is anodized which makes it almost impossible to weld successfully.
Tom Perso
Man Rick, that motor looks to be in good shape.

I remember that piece of metal that got stuck in the pump. It all makes sense now. Amazing it made it's way all the way down to the sump and back up the pickup tube.

Nice work

clap56.gif

Tom
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 24 2006, 05:35 AM)
While it is on the stand can you get photos of how you got rid of the tube that runs down the front of the block for oil fill, also by the oil filter where you moved the sender to. beerchug.gif

Yep, stay tuned. wavey.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 23 2006, 10:41 PM)
Rick, you are truely demented for even starting this project. I can respect that biggrin.gif

Hey I resemble that remark! dry.gif Of course if you consider the source... laugh.gif

Dude you have the 914 sickness bad! aktion035.gif driving.gif But it's a good thing. cool_shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jan 24 2006, 06:26 AM)
COOL!!! ALIEN AUTOPSY PHOTOS!!!!

smile.gif

assimilate.gif alien.gif alien_2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (majkos @ Jan 24 2006, 12:32 PM)
Rick?
I see you can weld alumimum.
What's your desirable amps setting?
I wanna do alum. but know nothing.
I'v a nice welder with argon, but the machine rated 50 amps,
and this house has only 60!

Kinda guessing I shouldn't need too much,for the fact,alum. has low melting point.

Sorry, There are so many different types of welders I Wouldn't know where to begin. This is my suggestion. Check the local community Collages and trade schools. They hold adult ed classes. This is a great resource for a hobbist.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (fiid @ Jan 24 2006, 12:48 PM)
Looks good - dig the pictures.  Like Tom says - keep up the good fight.

I was wondering also if you'd considered getting some headers on there??

smilie_pokal.gif  :trophy:

I had a long conversation with a guy in Texas that was developing a Supercharger for the 928. We got on the subject of headers because I thought I may have problems clearing the axles. He told me he dyno tested the best headers against the stock cast manifolds. The stock units made more power on the big end. Porsche usually knows what their doing. I trust them. I am going to re-design my exhaust this year though.

anyone need a used 928 conversion exhaust? wink.gif
Rand
The stock units made more power on the big end.

Those exhaust manifolds are not exactly the type that really need to be replaced by headers.

user posted image
rick 918-S
Just an update on the project.

My transaxle is at Brad Mayuer's place getting the "HB" gear and having the other gears moved around for better shift points.

I just received confirmation from Phamtom Grip. They are builing my unit. In their email they stated it will take a couple of day before they ship it as this is not an off the shelf item. mueba.gif I'm stoked! boldblue.gif

BTW: Brad will be installing the Phantom Grip for me also. He will be the go-to-guy in the future for this mod. I'll let you know what we think after we (Brad and I) have a chance to take a serious look at it.

I have two places selected for my cylinder head repair. I may be dropping them off over the weekend.

I still have several issues to resolve but I'm on track so far.
rich brennick
God, I love teardowns....
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

So, where did the "other" 928 set-up go to?
Not that I'm interested...

Hope all is well with you and the family, Rick

Rich B
rick 918-S
QUOTE (rich brennick @ Feb 22 2006, 06:51 PM)
God, I love teardowns....
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Rich B

Man! I can't wait until I can come back out to the MWC and see you and the wife!

Sandy and the kids are good.

Any of you that don't know Rich, He's a great guy. He drove way out of his way to check on my car when I broke down in Gaylord MI. I.O.U A beer!

The other Q.) ph34r.gif
rick 918-S
Spoke with Brad Mayeur last night. My transaxle is done. New HB gear, 3,4, 5 spacing changed, new syncro's.

Brad gave me an awesome deal! Anyone that is contemplating a rebuild and doesn't have the time or tools, see him!

BTW: I bailed on the Phantom Grip. As far as I can tell, the guys are more interested in ricers that Porsches.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (rich brennick @ Feb 22 2006, 06:51 PM)

Rich B

Everyone's great Rich, thanks,

alien.gif I have it. assimilate.gif ph34r.gif
rick 918-S
Transaxle arrived today! I've been so focused on work I forgot I had Brad install a Billet intermediate plate! Cool!

BTW: anyone not skilled on repairing a transaxle send it to Brad! Word!
Maltese Falcon
Rick, too bad we can't stuff a pair of these MSDS's in there biggrin.gif
On our test car we could smoke the tires into 3rd. From "VW and Porsche", 1985.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
...nuther out of the archives: When the engine builder Greg Brown, Anaheim CA. did some other tweaks--he really got this CIS 928 going strong !
Marty
spare time toys
In the crate -o-parts there was a set of the later foctory stainless tube exhaust manifolds for the SOHC engines. The local 928 guys told me that these are better than the cast ones for a slight power boost. And after all isnt that what life is all about cool_shades.gif mueba.gif
Maltese Falcon
The later tubular units AFAIK are for the intro year model 1986 32V engine (2 bolt head) which may /may not fit the earlier engine (16V). The later 1987 928 32V engine (3 bolt head) will def. not fit onto the 16V heads. The guy didn't lie to you about a slight HP increase over the cast units...we only make +14% HP over the later Porsche manifolds as opposed to +22% over the cast. If you are hurting for space/ tight fit, my suggestion is to go "Extrudehone" and clean out a ton of breathing space out of the cast manifolds laugh.gif Free HP
Marty
BenT
Rick,

I finally got to read this whole thread. I can see that you need talent and resources like yours or about $100,000 of spare ca$h to duplicate what you've done.

Terrific job. This thread should be resurrected on a regular basis. Great reading for newbies on the board like myself.

Cheers,

BenT
bd1308
Rick, you are the man.

If I ever do a watercooled engine, i'll do a 928.

b
rick 918-S
I pulled this back up from the black hole about 300 pages back. I started out repairing my broken engine over a year ago. I no longer have the job that was stealing my life. I'm hoping to start a new job of some kind soon. In the mean time, I'm doing a rusto on a friends 280SL to help pass the time.

I'm near ready to start putting things back together. I'm ordering a set of rings this week. The heads are back and look great.
i will need a new clutch disc and pressure plate. The 1.7 unit didn't have the clamping force I needed. I smoked my 6 puck clutch in about 6000 miles. (no big surprise there)

So, what is everyone using with there V8's?

I need details. part #s sources, and most importantly price. (remember I'm not working)
Mueller
Rick, didn't the 928s use a twin disc clutch setup, more clamping pressure and smaller in diameter....
rick 918-S
Yes, That's what was on my engine when I got it. It uses a interemdiate plate. I didn't think there would be enough room inside the bell for this type of setup. Then I guess the 928 guys pull them and change up to the later version with the single disc because of the cost to set the duel disc up properly. So, the short answer... blink.gif
wbergtho
Hey Rick,

I hope to see your monster sometime this summer???

Bill

BigDBass
I think the world would end if Bill's and Rick's cars were within 10 feet of each other! yikes.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jan 24 2007, 07:00 PM) *

I think the world would end if Bill's and Rick's cars were within 10 feet of each other! yikes.gif

Bill, Yes! this summer! aktion035.gif We need to have another BBQ when it's not raining all day. blink.gif

And Dan, don't forget... We have a cool Buick V6 powered 914 and Chappy's 6 Turbo! Just think if we all lined up in the direction of the earths rotation and dropped the hammer. we could gain back that rotaional second were loosing this year. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif When we gather the gound will shake! huh.gif av-943.gif
rick 918-S
Oh ya, Clutch question. V8 guy's, whatcha using. brand, part number, price.
r_towle
Have you tried renegades hybrids site, or kennedy engineering???

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 24 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Have you tried renegades hybrids site, or kennedy engineering???

Rich

Hi Rich,

How's that 356 coming?

Yes I know they sell the stuff. I think I read that Renegade sells Kennedy stuff. As I understand there are different levels of parts. IRCC some of them work without issue and some don't. I am trying to avoid some of the pitfalls other have delt with. I am looking for real world feed back from the other crazies.
wbergtho
Just think if we all lined up in the direction of the earths rotation and dropped the hammer. we could gain back that rotaional second were loosing this year. When we gather the gound will shake!

Hell...I think we might be able to go back in time if we all got together!
rick 918-S
Just ordered a Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate and kevlar clutch. Also ordered a new set of wheels from Performance Products. 16" X 8" and 16" X 9" Fuch copies. And new tires to go with em. Yokohoma Avid V4S 225/55/16 fronts and 255/50/16 rears. Also ordered some 4130 tube to start a sway bar project. The Atomic ramble is just around the corner. welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif assimilate.gif
JPB
You have created a whole new level of sickness, covetousness and crazyness. That is insane! Freekin genius! Freekin freeky deeky coolio! smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Seasons come and go, come and go, come and go..... and my car is just parts in boxes....If there is a God please let the re assembly begin.....

Nice to see your getting the Alien off of the autopsy table. Ill do my best to coax the body shop to get mine painted.
wbergtho
Ill do my best to coax the body shop to get mine painted.

Still waiting for paint?
iamchappy
He is getting close to 2nd coat of primer.....The shop owner has been having personal difficulties which i had sensed all along. He separated from his wife a few weeks ago.
I am being supportive because he is a friend and ive been there done that. My car will get done and he is really trying to give me great paint job. Sometimes waiting is better as it allows all of the shrinking to occur and give it time for the solvents to escape.

My plan was to join Rick and the gang for the A-bomb rumble. I haven't made any reservations as I am totally up in the air on this one.

I BET ANYTHING THAT RICK WILL GET IT DONE! "Go Alien"
lotus_65
chowtime.gif but no rain this time... lets get those beasts together.

And chappy, i'm sure there's a gang around if you want help with reassembly.

paul
LarryR
Wow very cool project. I bet it will be a blast to drive.
spare time toys
You going to ude the fancy red powdercoated cam towers and the engraved adapt. plate when it goes back together? aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Mar 17 2007, 04:29 PM) *

chowtime.gif but no rain this time... lets get those beasts together.

And chappy, i'm sure there's a gang around if you want help with reassembly.

paul

agree.gif You know how to reach us! aktion035.gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Mar 17 2007, 07:09 PM) *

You going to ude the fancy red powdercoated cam towers and the engraved adapt. plate when it goes back together? aktion035.gif

Yes, and yes. assimilate.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 17 2007, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Mar 17 2007, 07:09 PM) *

Yes, and yes. assimilate.gif

Cool glad to see some of my old project will see life again beerchug.gif
iamchappy
Im going to be nervous as hell putting the thing back together while not trying to scratch or damage the paint and all of the new trim.

Put my Ebrake stuff together today, now I need those control arms still attached to the car and do the needle bearing install also.

I am getting everything ready all I need is the car back, I am sure I can re assemble it all in a week of hard careful work...

Rick has a house full of helpful elves I doubt he will have any trouble getting the Alien to live again.
rick 918-S
The engine is back in. fresh 300+ hp 928 euro spec S engine, Brad Mayeur built 901 with HB 5th gear and billet intermediate plate, Kennedy stage II with a Kevlar disc. I should be able to light it up Sunday night. Stay tuned...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.