Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
redshift
Now that you've taken the alien that far, you have to theme the car out even more..

Green ghosted aliens, and gauges with not of this Earth markings, lic plate: ROSWELL

I dunno.. glow-in-the-dark intake runners..

M
rick 918-S
I'm conflicted. I started out to do this car to appear to be a flared 4 or 6 cylinder car. Kind of a sleeper. I dont really mind the trunk pan mod because I needed to put something back in there. But I really dont want to take it too far. I had a friend over last night helping with the trunk pan. We finished it up and he asked if I was ready to do the front lid next!

I'm Having fun with it but If I had a stock trunk floor around here I would hang the alien on the garage wall and put the stock piece back in.

On the other hand... My son was talking about glowing green digital gauges, wild stuff all over the place.

Eric Taylor
Rich. The sleeper idea sounds like a great one. I'd leave the rear trunk the way it is, heck the top covers it anyway! Green light's in the guage's would be cool and you would only see them when you turn the headlight's on, it would kinda personalize the car with a couple of sleeper mods(bad joke).
Eric
redshift
Fine then.

chair.gif

I'll find someone else to influence!

M
rick 918-S
Progress
rick 918-S
another angle.
rick 918-S
one more.
F4i
Hi this may or may not help. There are flexable dipsticks/sleeves available. You can mount them anywhere within reason.
rick 918-S
I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam. I have about 4" behind the seat to the new firewall.
jonwatts
I'm sure you've said this before, but how much leg room are you losing because of the firewall re-engineering? Probably only a problem for drivers over 6 feet tall (and we all know aliens is shorty folk anyways).

lol3.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(F4i @ Jan 13 2004, 10:57 PM)
Hi this may or may not help. There are flexable dipsticks/sleeves available. You can mount them anywhere within reason.

Thanks, I'm looking for a way to avoid having to remove the firewall to check the oil. I'll come up with something.
rick 918-S
The top of the new firewall is only like having a cage with a cross bar behind the seat.
jonwatts
I think dipstick -thru- the firewall would be trick. Check your oil without leaving the comfort of the cockpit.
Steve Thacker
Rich,
I'm highly impressed with your frankenstein creation. That car is going to be wicked no doubt about it. Goodluck and I hope all your problems will be few and are quick to resolve. I look forward to seeing it at Barber Dave's meet. I'll be bringing mine out for the first time also.
pray.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Jan 14 2004, 12:33 PM)
Rich,
I'm highly impressed with your frankenstein creation. That car is going to be wicked no doubt about it. Goodluck and I hope all your problems will be few and are quick to resolve. I look forward to seeing it at Barber Dave's meet. I'll be bringing mine out for the first time also.
pray.gif

Things are starting to come together. Funny how that happens when you actually go out to the garage. laugh.gif I have two events I want to attend this year. The 914 WWC and Barber Daves Gathering. I'm trailering the car to California. I'm planning on driving to Barber Daves Event. I thought I'd try to hook up with some of the Michigan group for the trip. I heard about a ferry boat that will make the trip shorter. That will be coool.
Dave-O
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 14 2004, 02:33 PM)
I'm planning on driving to Barber Daves Event. I thought I'd try to hook up with some of the Michigan group for the trip. I heard about a ferry boat that will make the trip shorter. That will be coool.

I'll hook up with you somewhere in Wisconsin if the car is still running. To add some content to your thread, your work looks great. I know full well how projects get started during the long winter up here. smash.gif
rick 918-S
<!-- QuoteBegin-Dave-O+Jan 14 2004, 03:03 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jan 14 2004, 03:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> <!-- QuoteBegin-rich 918-S+Jan 14 2004, 02:33 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 14 2004, 02:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> I'm planning on driving to Barber Daves Event. I thought I'd try to hook up with some of the Michigan group for the trip. I heard about a ferry boat that will make the trip shorter. That will be coool. <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
I'll hook up with you somewhere in Wisconsin if the car is still running. To add some content to your thread, your work looks great. I know full well how projects get started during the long winter up here. smash.gif <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Hard to get any work done tonight. Had to shovel snow!
Still got 4 DZUS fasteners on.
Woo Hoo!! smash.gif

BTW: map quest says about 250 miles of two lane black top. to Mosinee from here. I'm not sure what route I'd take yet. But I'm sure I'd just jump on US 35 in Superior. Well se what happens.
Dave-O
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 14 2004, 10:04 PM)

Hard to get any work done tonight. My back is sore from shoveling snow!
Still got 4 DZUS fasteners on.
Woo Hoo!! smash.gif

BTW: map quest says about 250 miles of two lane black top. to Mosinee from here. I'm not sure what route I'd take yet. But I'm sure I'd just jump on US 35 in Superior. Well se what happens.

We've got a big driveway so we use the quad with snowplow. It's fun for the first 10 min. driving.gif Mosinee is way out of the way...we'll meet up somewhere along your path. I know it's still months away but it's fun to think about while my car is still running.

P.S. If you come i won't be winning the long distance trophy this year smilie_pokal.gif sad.gif !
rick 918-S
DZUS fasteners done. Next radiator shrouding.
rick 918-S
Back to business! I have a lot of finish welding to do but everything is welded in!
GWN7
I can hook up with you guys in Madison?

Or tell more about the ferry boat ride?

Anything to miss the Chicago trafic on the way back. wacko.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Feb 1 2004, 09:31 PM)
I can hook up with you guys in Madison?

Or tell more about the ferry boat ride?

Anything to miss the Chicago trafic on the way back. wacko.gif

I'll do some research on the route. I heard about some ferry boat ride from the Michigan group. They said it would cut the trip a little. I wouldn't care if it cut the trip, it just sounds like a cool thing to do.
rich brennick
Here's the link, boys:

http://www.carferries.net/

the S.S. Badger

Rich
GWN7
I did the comparision on mapquest, says it 1/2 hr more driving time for me to take the ferry.

Funny thing Mapquest says it's a 3.5 hr drive from Winnipeg to the US border, a distance of 60 miles.
Tom Perso
Man, that would be great to come over for some MI events, I'd help out with that.

I live about 2 hrs east of Detroit and about 3 hours south of Ludington (where the Badger calls home).

Let's do it!!!

Tom
maf914
Rich,

On your new firewall, how did you form the stiffening ribs on the flat panel? I assume there a machine that does this?

Mike
rick 918-S
Thanks for the info. As the event gets closer I want to plan a route. I thought it would be cool to do the ferry ride some day.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(maf914 @ Feb 7 2004, 05:09 AM)
Rich,

On your new firewall, how did you form the stiffening ribs on the flat panel?  I assume there a machine that does this?

Mike

I have a bead roller. It's a set of upper and lower dies that press a step in the panel There are many different shape dies.

the photo doesn't show the crank handle on the left.
rick 918-S
heres a coool photo.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Rich: The ferry across the lake sounds like a plan to me. Let me know a month before my meet ,Aug. 7 & 8th. I have the E-mail of about 15 Wiss. and Minnesota 914's . We can get a big caravan going.
Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
rick 918-S
That sound Great! I'm just in taking a break from working on the car. I'm really pushing for this year.
rick 918-S
Made custom brake lines on my BMW 2002 4 piston calipers tonight.
rick 918-S
Installed the calipers.
rick 918-S
Started to polish the plumium tonight..
rick 918-S
working on the shrouding and baffling for my Howe double pass radiator. It's made from thermo-formed ABS plastic. Still not done but getting closer.
rick 918-S
Made a vacum form for the fan shroud.
rick 918-S
after trimming
rick 918-S
Starting to heat the ABS in the form. We used a shop vac to pull in into the form.
krk
Rich,

Thx for posting these pics! It's cool to see how some of this works, even if I'm not going to do this in my garage anytime soon!

kim.
Gint
That's pretty impressive Rich. More pics!
John Kelly
Hi Rich,

I love the trunk floor! Your car is going to be real machine.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
rick 918-S
The crew is busy filing, sanding, and polishing...
rick 918-S
Mached up...
McMark
I LOVE 928 ENGINES!

What's the length of the 928 engine itself (front to flywheel) and whats the over all length of your complete powertrain?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Mar 3 2004, 09:49 PM)
I LOVE 928 ENGINES!

What's the length of the 928 engine itself (front to flywheel) and whats the over all length of your complete powertrain?

28.5 from the crank nut to the back of the block. 25. from the crank nut to the tail.
rick 918-S
just got the red silicon hose.
rick 918-S
painted fuel lines
McMark
Sweet! I don't like red, but I appreciate how it all ties together! Well done. I can't wait to hear it burbling and rumbling at the WCC! You've got my vote for Best Transplant.

I didn't understand your measurements. Please double check your post.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Mar 9 2004, 11:19 PM)
Sweet!  I don't like red, but I appreciate how it all ties together!  Well done.  I can't wait to hear it burbling and rumbling at the WCC!  You've got my vote for Best Transplant.

I didn't understand your measurements.  Please double check your post.

Picture the red against the polished in a black engine bay looking through the mesh... Envision the Alien beast from the movie "Predator" or the polished chome skeleton from Treminator...

Ya, It was late The motor is 28.5" from the crank nut to the back of the block. The total lenth is 52.5" from the crank nut to the tail. I don't think the motor is actually all that much longer than the chevy but it's very square. the cam pulleys are way out there.
McMark
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Mar 10 2004, 06:23 AM)
Picture the red against the polished in a black engine bay looking through the mesh... Envision the Alien beast from the movie "Predator" or the polished chome skeleton from Treminator...

When you put it like that, I "get it". You got the vision man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.