Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
rick 918-S
I added 918-S lives link to my progress thread just to keep everything in the same post and easy to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpXwbIbR0uk...eature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpXwbIbR0uk

918-S lives...cus I don't play!
rick 918-S
I'm close on the cooling system. Here's my surge tank.
rick 918-S
here's my lower surge tank connection.
rick 918-S
here's my left side water passage.
rick 918-S
Clearance is tight. I used 1" X 3" tubing on the return side to gain some clearance
DrifterJay
ohmy.gif I think nutted on the screen biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Ya'll stand back there is a genious in the house. That has got to be the coolest solution to piping I have ever seen. You da man Rich. welder.gif
Curvie Roadlover
The firewall attaches with dzus fasteners? ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
I filled the cooling system and ran the motor. Fans came on fine. I'm mildly concerned about a small purge from the coolant overflow that occurred just before the fans came on. But the temp gauges (Two, engine and radiator were close to equal at approx. 185 deg.
mike_the_man
You had better have some video of the first drive you take in that beast. I love it, and it sounds fantastic! Sounds like you're getting very close. I can't wait to see the finished product. clap56.gif
Chris H.
Yeah Rich when do you think you will be able to take her around the block?

I keep replaying that engine sound myself. Sounds real nice. You could tell it got the right fuel/air mix on the second crank. Rrrrrruuuuummmmmmmmmm. My car will be afraid if it. biggrin.gif
Jacco
Heej Rich,

Good progress on the car man... must be close to a spin around the block
driving.gif

not to distract you from more important issues but flipping throug my magazines with 914 articles I found a german magazine which has an article on a german 914 with a 928 enigne in it.
He put the engine more towards the rear and cut a large piece out of the trunk.
Depending on fifth gear ratio it has a top speed of 240 or 265 kph (150 and 165 mph biggrin.gif )
He also welded in a steel roof ( a la 916) to give the car more strength.
sweet looking car... but all text in german.
are you interested in the article? I could fire up the old scanner for this one wink.gif
just give the word

greets
Jacco de Haan
seanery
Jacco, I'd be interested in that story!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jacco @ May 18 2004, 09:53 AM)
Heej Rich,

Good progress on the car man... must be close to a spin around the block
driving.gif

not to distract you from more important issues but flipping throug my magazines with 914 articles I found a german magazine which has an article on a german 914 with a 928 enigne in it.
He put the engine more towards the rear and cut a large piece out of the trunk.
Depending on fifth gear ratio it has a top speed of 240 or 265 kph (150 and 165 mph biggrin.gif )
He also welded in a steel roof ( a la 916) to give the car more strength.
sweet looking car... but all text in german.
are you interested in the article? I could fire up the old scanner for this one wink.gif
just give the word

greets
Jacco de Haan

YA!!!! ohmy.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Post it on this thread! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 18 2004, 09:40 AM)
Yeah Rich when do you think you will be able to take her around the block?

I keep replaying that engine sound myself. Sounds real nice. You could tell it got the right fuel/air mix on the second crank. Rrrrrruuuuummmmmmmmmm. My car will be afraid if it. biggrin.gif

I'm going crazy! I'm out of town until Thursday for work! I can't work on the car! I have the kids working on the beast in my absence. (installing gauges, installing axles, trailering the beast to the exhaust shop, that's scary!)

I still need to paint the thing before I leave! But the cooling system works, I have oil pressure, and the volt meter reads plus 13 and moves past 14 under rev.

I still need to paint the thing before I leave! I won't get to drive it until I get to the Classic! So I think you will all get to see the first drive in person. I'm starting to get worried.......
JeffBowlsby
Hey Rich...your car is already a 914 icon....it doan' need no stinkin paint... wink.gif
Jacco
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Mar 22 2004, 06:11 PM)
For our new German friends I call this double vision. One of these cars is a 4 cam one is an "S"

Just a little fun. Now back to work.

Hi Rich,

the car in the article is the car on the left of the picture you are revering to in the quoted post below. (page 6 of this thread)
It was featured in the Januari 2002 issue of VW WOB!
Hope you all enjoy

greets Jacco.

attached is page 1
Jacco
page 2
Jacco
page 3
Jacco
page 4
Jacco
page 5
Jacco
page 6
Jacco
page 7 last one.

please all enjoy en touch up your german biggrin.gif

greets
Jacco de Haan
rick 918-S
Jacco, Thanks for the great scan!
rick 918-S
Just picked up my seats! smilie_pokal.gif I had a great time with my upholstry friend tonight. He let me help! Until you've done this kind of work you will never appreciate how hard it is. He recovered them in pasha inserts and black leather. They are better than perfect!
rick 918-S
Just picked up my seats! smilie_pokal.gif I had a great time with my upholstry friend tonight. He let me help! Until you've done this kind of work you will never appreciate how hard it is. He recovered them in pasha inserts and black leather. They are better than perfect!
rick 918-S
and here they are!
GWN7
Looks great...can't wait to see it up close smilie_pokal.gif
maf914
Rich, Those seats look great. The fabric is a nice link to the 928.

Mike
iamchappy
Rich

Great job, they are going to so cooool in the alien.
Could you please pm or email to me your friends number, I would like to give him a call when I am ready for the reupholster.

Thanks,

Chap aktion035.gif
ruddyboys
Those seat look to good to sit on. What else do you have plan for the interior? beer.gif
rick 918-S
FYI: I just got home from my out of town trip. I installed the axles and drove the car out into the driveway! It was too late to drive it around the block with open exhaust. But the clutch and shifter worked good so far. Brake pedal seems real low to the floor yet. I'm going to try to use a mitey vac.
krk
Rich,

a ) Those seats are perfect. They are perfect. They are perfect. "Design matters", and you've hit this one square on the head. Did I mention "Design matters?"
B ) I can't wait to see this car. (I'm scrambling airplane reservations to be home for the WCC and I live next door!) This car may well be the definition of the intersection of cool and design. No, I'm not sucking up.
c ) Heck with the car. Meeting you will be more cool.

I'm sure there are a hundred hurdles in front of you -- I wish you the best karma to blow past them all.

kim.

edit: man, I hate the goofy tag processing that makes a cool.gif into a cool.gif
John2kx
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ May 20 2004, 07:32 PM)
FYI: I just got home from my out of town trip. I installed the axles and drove the car out into the driveway! It was too late to drive it around the block with open exhaust. But the clutch and shifter worked good so far. Brake pedal seems real low to the floor yet. I'm going to try to use a mitey vac.

Rich,

Keep a eye on the CV retaining bolts. This was the only thing I had to rework after my car hit the road and I was warned by Renegade to check the bolts several times during the first 200 miles or so. I'm sure the added torque is the reason for needing this special attention.

After a few checks of the bolts, I put them out of my mind but they eventually loosened while out for a spin one day. Could hear it coming and was able to limp home to make the repair.

The second time around I paid particular attention to make sure all threads (flange and bolts) were clean and special attention was paid in not allowing any grease to get on threads during assembly. Blue Locktite was used and allowed to cure overnight. No problems since.

John
rick 918-S
Hi Kim,

We need a blushing emocon.... Thanks for the good karma thoughts. I need them. I'n currently pushing an elephant up hill. My uhpolstry friend calls it forced fornication..... cool_shades.gif We're going to have a great time!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(John2kx @ May 21 2004, 05:01 AM)
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ May 20 2004, 07:32 PM)

Rich,

Keep a eye on the CV retaining bolts. This was the only thing I had to rework after my car hit the road and I was warned by Renegade to check the bolts several times during the first 200 miles or so. I'm sure the added torque is the reason for needing this special attention.

After a few checks of the bolts, I put them out of my mind but they eventually loosened while out for a spin one day. Could hear it coming and was able to limp home to make the repair.

The second time around I paid particular attention to make sure all threads (flange and bolts) were clean and special attention was paid in not allowing any grease to get on threads during assembly. Blue Locktite was used and allowed to cure overnight. No problems since.

John

Thanks for the cv bolt tip. One of the kids actually suggested locktite and I opted not to use it. I may have to re-think that one....
Rusty
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ May 21 2004, 05:37 PM)
Thanks for the cv bolt tip. One of the kids actually suggested locktite and I opted not to use it. I may have to re-think that one....

Rich,

I've never used loctite on any of my CV bolts, but I always replace the serrated washers. I've never had one come loose after the first retorquing at 250 miles.

-Rusty smoke.gif
John2kx
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 22 2004, 01:07 AM)
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ May 21 2004, 05:37 PM)

Rich,

I've never used loctite on any of my CV bolts, but I always replace the serrated washers. I've never had one come loose after the first retorquing at 250 miles.

-Rusty smoke.gif

Rusty,

The increased power/torque from the v8 is the reason for using a different method of securing. In fact, Renegade does not recommend using the washers, locktite only.

Just so were comparing apples to apples, this is what I'm running for cv's/axles.

John
Rusty
Yes, those are beautiful axles. I already have that picture as one in my screen-saver slideshow. wub.gif

Thanks for the clarification!

-Rusty smoke.gif
Jeroen
Rich, I love how the seats turned out!
The Pascha design is soooo 928. Absolutely great!!!
Can't wait to see it in real life (just 2 more weeks biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
rick 918-S
Started at 8:00 am today. Repaired a couple of years of damage caused by outside storage during the winter months. (before the hobby shop went up)

Primer is on. I'm tried! heading for bed. It's 3:15 am here. I need to be back at it by 9:00 am... wacko.gif
rick 918-S
Well the base coat looks like it's going on ok. But I ran out. The paint supply store didn't put a quart of paint in the box of stuff I purchased last week. I didn't notice until I unpacked the box yesterday. Of course there was no way to get any paint at 10:00 pm on Sunday night. I'm behind schedule big now. I should be checking all the nuts and bolts tonight after work and getting ready to start assemble the interior(including changing the dash pad.) I still need to build a custom exhaust and bleed the brakes. I found a couple of small leaks on my temp sending units I need to address. I'm sure the test drive will be the parking ramp at the Pruneyard!
DNHunt
Rich

The good news about that is there will be lots of people there to help. By the sounds of it there may be a lot of people putting final touches on. Could be kinda fun, a giant 914 work party. No shortage of wrenches or brake pumpers. Somehow, I got a feeling that if you get the pieces there it will get done. Same goes for the rest of the people trying like mad to get things finished.

After 4 days of tourista stuff with the family I know I'll be ready to get dirty and drink some beer.

See ya there

Dave
rick 918-S
Here's a couple of pics the kids took last night. Here's a trick for masking the vent. Granted, When I put the car together the first time I installed a screen under the vent. So this may not work for most of you.
rick 918-S
Spraying sealer
rick 918-S
In sealer.
rick 918-S
Base coat is down until I ran out anyway.
rick 918-S
BTW: My garage is trashed! I don't have any time to clean it!
skline
Where is your mask? You must be feeling pretty buzzed after all that. I wish I had a facility like that to do my car in. I am going to have to rent a booth to do mine. My water heater is in the garage and would blow up if I tried that. Looks good Rich, I look forward to seeing it at WCC.
rick 918-S
mask? idea.gif Gas is shut off to thw water heater. No pilot light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.