Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Gint
I have a couple at home from MWC04. I'd be happy to send them to you Rick.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 29 2004, 07:24 AM)
I have a couple at home from MWC04. I'd be happy to send them to you Rick.

That would be great. Most of the lost photos are from that event. I just finished loading the photos from the MWC onto the desk top file I had set up when the computer went into terminal melt down.
rick 918-S
You can pm me at cyfied@gmail.com Thanks guy's <!-- emo&:clap: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->
aircooledboy
I think my daughter took a bunch at the MWC too. I will look when I get home.

BTW, she is only 9, so they might be pictures of the grass and the last 6 inches of the bumper. Would those be ok? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
brant
Rick,

I hadn't read on this thread since it was but one or two pages long... before the WWC.

HOLY COW..
I knew you went to the WWC.. (a little bit jealous)
But what I didn't know is how fast and how much ground you covered to get there..

I'm blown away..
great job
brant
Brent
I knew Brent and brant were gonna eventually follow each other here.

Rick, I just sent you an email about pics I took at the WCC in 04, and a GMAIL invite to tranfer the somewhat hi res pics.

-Brent
San Jose
dan10101
Rick,
Here are mine from WCC2004.

http://www.teamgracer.com/cars/914club/wcc2004.htm

You probably have them, but maybe not.

Good luck with the computer, We're all fighting the battle.
Gint
Hey Rick! I just emailed four pictures at a total of 2.4 MB

Let me know that you got them OK? Otherwise, I can post them here.
Gint
Mail keeps bouncing Rick.

Please do not reply to this message as it was automatically
generated, and you will not receive a response.

A message you sent was not delivered due to the following
reason:
The intended recipient's mailbox is full and its size must be reduced
before mail can be delivered.

Please contact the intended recipient of the message for further
information.

rick 918-S
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 29 2004, 09:43 PM)
Mail keeps bouncing Rick.

Please do not reply to this message as it was automatically
generated, and you will not receive a response.

A message you sent was not delivered due to the following
reason:
The intended recipient's mailbox is full and its size must be reduced
before mail can be delivered.

Please contact the intended recipient of the message for further
information.

<cyfied@uslink.net>

Here's what was on my side.

Space Type:

bytes in the mailbox
Available Space: 2437253
Total Space: 10486784

Is that alot of space? You know me and computers... IPB Image IPB Image

I moved the other photos that were sent to me today and cleared out my mail. Try it again. And thanks
Gint
Available Space: 2437253

That's the problem right there. I'm sending 2440000 bytes. Or in other words, just barely too much.

I have a plan...

You know how to download pics from a web site yes? Here ya go. If you need help, send me a PM.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rick 918-S
Thanks Mikey.... IPB Image Got em. Nice dirty carpet IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Rick...

Betty loves your car, but she is nervous about the engine so close to your back....

"Wow.... that interior is totally cool! You HAVE to do that with Igor... except with red and black checks!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like he basically lost the depth of the back pad in the passenger compartment. That's sitting a little too close to spinning, ouchy engine things for my peace of mind. Who needs a heater, he's practically strapped to the toasty engine! Gives calling a 914 a "go-kart" a whole new meaning!"

I explained that there was a removable firewall... here is her reply...

"Oh, the panel would make me feel better but what would happen if he got rear ended by anything heavier than an Isetta?"

Will the engine move if the car is hit.. or is it mounted to the factory mounts?
spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 30 2004, 10:12 AM)
Betty loves your car, but she is nervous about the engine so close to your back... That's sitting a little too close to spinning, ouchy engine things for my peace of mind.

I guess if we can make the Banana work she would not want to ride in it. I want to make a 1/8 thick plexiglass window around the cam area so you can watch them spin as its running. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Actually she would probably love a ride in the Banana....

Please.. don't let her drive it.. then "I" would be forced to build her one!!!!
rick 918-S
Clay, We need to do one with the engine on your avatar! rocking nana.gif IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
ClayPerrine
I actually saw the engine case for a 917/30 at the MUSR a couple years ago. That sucker is long. If you can find one with transmission, we can do it, but we are going to have to really stretch the hell out the engine compartment!!!
rick 918-S
Larrys (spare time toys) Flywheel in progress!
spare time toys
Ok that makes me want to get back to work in the garage now.
rick 918-S
Worked Larry's oil pan this weekend. Need to cut and fit the patch panels and it's ready to weld.
rick 918-S
Drain plug moved from the left side to the right. Ready to weld.
Dr. Roger
"Wow" is an understatement.

I've just read this entire string and uhhhhh, "Wow".

I must say that I do like the showy stuff almost as much as the go fast stuff. biggrin.gif

Working that square stock into a water return??? Who would have thunk it??

Black on black is beautiful especially with the alien-like cloth work. beerchug.gif

Priority list:
1. Better paying job.
2. Better/larger garage.
3. Hang on to the understanding g-friend who just wants me to be happy.

I'm inspired. Thanks. smilie_pokal.gif
Toast
Wow! Someone dug this one out of the closet. hide.gif

But it is a good thread! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Well I'm dragging this thread out of the deep dark black hole about 200 pages back.

I have an update. Most of you all know I purchased a salvage yard motor am hoped for the best. For the most part it has worked out well as a test mule and I'm happy about the purchase. Since the cars debut at the WCC "04" I put about 10,000 on it. I had a feeling there were some fairly some serious internal problems during my trip out to the WCC "05" I was consuming fuel like I was towing a tanker truck behind me. I could hear a miss and the car felt like it was under powered. But I didn't want to disappoint you guy's and gal's and bail out of the event. So I made it out and back at the risk of loosing the motor. I didn't talk about it much but I was pretty worried. Things turned out fine thanks to good friends along the road. I was really hoping I could get the summer out of the car before starting on a full on assault but I can't ignore the way the car runs any longer.

I started planning a rebuild when I returned home. I brought the Alien to a good friend I trust for a pre-rebuild diagnostic once over. As it turned out I have one cylinder at 75 psi! the others are all under 150 psi on a compression test. That would explain the fuel consumption as this would make the CIS go wacky screwy.gif Tomorrow is leakdown time. then I'll know more.

So here goes.... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif blowtorch.gif assimilate.gif I wonder just how fast this beast will be without a sick motor? ohmy.gif Anyone need a depends? unsure.gif

I'll post my updates here.. stay tuned! confused24.gif
redshift
You ain't shit if you don't put your spare in!

(just for the time being)

smile.gif

It's a worthy project, it's much fun watching you do it all.. g'luck!

M

spare time toys
Careful with those exhaust studs and cam tower cap screws wacko.gif I now have the tool from 928 motorsports sells to remove the cap screws if you want to use it. beerchug.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 3 2004, 11:49 AM)
Perfect picture for a KY-Jelly advertisement! laugh.gif

No matter how big...
user posted image

...enough KY will get it in!
user posted image

is that a BMW 2002??? I love those wub.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 28 2005, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 3 2004, 11:49 AM)
Perfect picture for a KY-Jelly advertisement! laugh.gif

is that a BMW 2002??? I love those wub.gif

Yes, I was just out working on it tonight. I'm painting it within the next week. I'll post pics after I shoot it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jun 28 2005, 05:56 PM)
Careful with those exhaust studs and cam tower cap screws wacko.gif I now have the tool from 928 motorsports sells to remove the cap screws if you want to use it. beerchug.gif

Yes I would like to borrow it. But I'm going to order the parts and get the machine shop crew lined up in advance before I pull the motor. I don't need one more car dis-abled around here. I'll pm you when I'm ready.

I want to have all the gaskets here and ready for the rebuild. I talked to Mark at 928 International today. He gave me a number for an experienced 928 head rebuilder. So if I can't find a local as in the state experienced 928 head guy I may have to ship my heads to the Gold Coast for a freshing.

I'll have to wait on the rings until the teardown. Tomorrows leak down test will tell the part of the story. I'm suspect that the power loss started when I had the stray metal lock my oil pump last year. I Could have had a valve to piston collision. But if I have a scored cylinder I'm going to punch this Big Bad Boy out to the water jackets and stuff in the big slugs!

Hows your car coming? Post a progress report in the Germanator thread.
MJHanna
Have you talked to Kim Crumb? He used to be the PCA tech person on 928's He lives in Minneapolis. He has tracked 928s for years. If there is a local (MN) person he would know...... idea.gif
rick 918-S
OK! Here goes! I'm dragging this old build thread out of the dark depths of the BBS. I just called Brad Mayeur and scheduled an appointment to have my transaxle rebuilt. I'm pulling the motor and trans axle this weekend. The clock is ticking for the WCC "06" road trip! aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif I will have a female co-pilot this year... she's really cute too!
Root_Werks
Wicked! I can't wait to see the progress and what the inside of your car looks like Rick! boldblue.gif
Joe Ricard
Good luck with that.
My racing buddies keep pushing me to put one of them 928 motors in my car for Autocross. I just don't read the Street mod ruling the same. Anyway Maybe I'm not whipping them by enough seconds already.

If anyone can hook you up with parts it's Mark @ 928INTL. My favorite Quote from him is You want HP send me money. the more money the more Horse Power. Pretty simple.
Hmm idea.gif Who does that remind us of... mueba.gif
rick 918-S
<!-- QuoteBegin Joe Ricard+Jan 11 2006, 09:08 AM --></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 11 2006, 09:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> SO Rick where are you at with the motor? What did you find broke? <!-- QuoteEnd --> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!-- QuoteEEnd -->
My life has become consumed by my job. I have had little to no time to devote to anything. Even when I'm not working all I think about is how much I have to do.

The motor is still in the car. I'll know more in a few weeks.

I'm looking for a new job too. I can't continue to work the kind of hours I do for nothing. I'm too valuable and so is my time. I have some really nasty things to say but I'll refrine.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2006, 09:19 AM)

I'm looking for a new job too. I can't continue to work the kind of hours I do for nothing. I'm too valuable and so is my time. I have some really nasty things to say but I'll refrine.

Yea I'm out searching for something else too. for the same reasons.
I thought I heard you were down this way after the storm. too bad we never got hooked up. Like either one of us had time.
neo914-6
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2006, 08:58 AM)
OK! Here goes! I'm dragging this old build thread out of the dark depths of the BBS. I just called Brad Mayeur and scheduled an appointment to have my transaxle rebuilt. I'm pulling the motor and trans axle this weekend. The clock is ticking for the WCC "06" road trip! aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif I will have a female co-pilot this year... she's really cute too!

clap.gif Drag more, LOL!

I admire the women (like Teri Thatcher) who are willing to take a long road trip in an old car. smilie_pokal.gif

Aaron Cox
woohoo! enjoy that HB gear. say hello to tall geared cruising smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 11 2006, 10:52 AM)
woohoo! enjoy that HB gear. say hello to tall geared cruising smile.gif

clap.gif Photos to follow... aktion035.gif
GWN7
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jun 28 2005, 01:56 PM)

I have an update. Most of you all know I purchased a salvage yard motor am hoped for the best. For the most part it has worked out well as a test mule and I'm happy about the purchase. Since the cars debut at the WCC "04" I put about 10,000 on it. I had a feeling there were some fairly some serious internal problems during my trip out to the WCC "05" I was consuming fuel like I was towing a tanker truck behind me. I could hear a miss and the car felt like it was under powered. But I didn't want to disappoint you guy's and gal's and bail out of the event. So I made it out and back at the risk of loosing the motor. I didn't talk about it much but I was pretty worried. Things turned out fine thanks to good friends along the road. I was really hoping I could get the summer out of the car before starting on a full on assault but I can't ignore the way the car runs any longer.

I figured something along those lines when you didn't run it at Willow Springs at the last WCC......pushing it 3500 miles home wouldn't be fun wink.gif
rick 918-S
I pulled the driveline friday night, loaded the transaxle in my trunk, and hit the road at 2:00 am saturday morning for Brad Mayeur's place. The drive was 9 hours straight. I had a very short visit with Brad. My son Aric was my co-pilot. He has a friend that lives in Peoria he wanted to visit. Brad is working on a top secret project car. ( well maybe not so secret but it makes for good reading! laugh.gif ) I'll keep you all posted on the prognosis.

The motor goes on the stand today.
dinomium
Right on RIck! I really look forward to meeting you and seeing the car in Portland this summer!!
rick 918-S
I'll post pictures later, but I pulled the left cam tower off tonight. I found a broken valve spring on # 8 intake valve. More news later, I've got to get something to eat. popcorn[1].gif
seanery
popcorn[1].gif isn't dinner!

pizza.gif and beer.gif are much better biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 23 2006, 06:55 PM)
popcorn[1].gif isn't dinner!

pizza.gif and beer.gif are much better biggrin.gif

That's what we had! Pizza!

Hey all, Here's what I found tonight. If you read back through this on going saga, you'll see I had a piece of what looked like a stainless steel valve shim float into the oil pump on my way back from the MWC "04". It locked the pump and stopped the serpentine belt in a horrid screeech! I couldn't imagine that the metal made it to the pump from the valves, So I took a chance and put a used pump back in and fired the car up.

Well it's never really been a 100% since I first started the car. So after discovering the broken intake spring on # 8 tonight I'm assuming the engine had a broken spring since I brought it home from the salvage yard.

So since I built the car I've been trying to tune around the valve spring failure.

The best news is The head looks good, and the better news is the BORES look perfect!

Any of you that were impressed by the power and grunt will appreciate the direction I'm going now. With a fresh motor and a Brad Mayeur fresh transaxle with the HB gear set I got from Aaron!
rick 918-S
Here's the valve! ohmy.gif
rick 918-S
Here's # 8 bore. aktion035.gif
Howard
Rick, you are truely demented for even starting this project. I can respect that biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Rick you are my hero. smilie_pokal.gif I want to grow up to be just like you. pray.gif

Keep up the good fight.

Tom
spare time toys
While it is on the stand can you get photos of how you got rid of the tube that runs down the front of the block for oil fill, also by the oil filter where you moved the sender to. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
COOL!!! ALIEN AUTOPSY PHOTOS!!!!

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.