Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
wbergtho
Isn't that how a 914 drivetrain is supposed to look?
SGB
Make sure you use the good duct tape this time. smile.gif
iamchappy
I got a call from Rick late Saturday night... The Alien lives! It's heart was sounding good
and had a steady pulse......
Root_Werks
driving.gif
Ferg
piratenanner.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 10 2008, 01:11 AM) *

Hey Larry! This Blings for you! biggrin.gif

Looking good aktion035.gif Next year when we start flying to MSP Barb and I may just have to come up that way and get a ride in it. driving.gif And let here see some of the old stomping ground over by Ottertail. shades.gif
rick 918-S
Time for an update: I called chappy and some others all excited about getting the Alien running last saturday night. By sunday morning I was back pulling the engine out. I developed a real bad water and even worse oil leak. Neither looked possible to fix with the engine in the car.

Now remember, I'm trying to make the RCR Wednesday and the car has been in storage for a long time.

It took all day Sunday to fix the water leak. I discovered the oil seal on the pump was pushed out about 1/8". I removed the seal and cleaned up all the oil. I was out of Yamabond, which is what I usually use to assist with securing these seals. I glued the seal in with JB 4 minute epoxy to be sure the seal wouldn't push out again.

I reinstalled the engine Sunday. I fired it off this morning and ran it about 3 minutes when I noticed oil leaking again! WTF.gif I figured maybe the pressure relief valve was sticking. I pulled it and cleaned it an reinstalled the cap with an extra aluminum washer to drop the pressure. Still leaked.

I called 928 International. I explained the issue to Jim one of the counter guys. He solved my problem over the phone by asking about 3 questions in about 1 minute. It seems there is an early and late oil pump and they are just slightly different.

During my rebuild I grabbed the cleanest pump of three that I have. It turns out the pump I used has the re-designed seal relief hole that gets blocked off if you install it in the early block. This causes the seal to balloon and leak.

Now that I know the leak isn't from the balancer or the block seam I pulled the pump with the engine in the car. It is possible to do, but the pump just clears the firewall. It is about a half hour job with the engine in the car. I matched up my three pumps and there is a clear difference in the seal relief location. I installed the early cast steel pump and put the late model one on the shelf.

So, After a two day set back I still need to install the axles and shift rod, Hit it with the timing light, Change the Auxilary air valve and wash about 2 lbs of dirt off the top surfaces.

I think I'll be ready to roll Wednesday early... huh.gif blink.gif
Dr. Roger
Geez Rick,

My heart rises and falls with every challenge you come across. LOL beerchug.gif

Congrats to see the end in sight. driving.gif
spare time toys
Click to view attachment

Did you also use this part? beerchug.gif

Root_Werks
Wow Rick! Never a dull moment with your 914. I'm really happy to read it runs and sounds like ready to go. Good job!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Oct 14 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Geez Rick,

My heart rises and falls with every challenge you come across. LOL beerchug.gif

Congrats to see the end in sight. driving.gif

Not sure there is ever an end with Rick and the Alien......only new beginnings. shades.gif dry.gif biggrin.gif

Good luck Rick, you deserve some seat time......zoom, zoom. driving.gif
DNHunt
I still remember that car from San Jose. Everybody was headed up to the meet and greet and racking off their pipes. 4 poopers and a few sixes and then comes Rick. It kind of ended the show. Kind of like a bunch of bugs getting squished with a size 12.

I'm glad to hear you'll get some seat time. Enjoy yourself, Way to go Rick

Dave
TJB/914
Hi Everyone,

I want to tell my story about the Olah's and my first meeting them at our MidWest 2004 meet. It was a happening that left an indelible mark in my mind when they arrived with the 914-8/Alien. It's more than the car, it's Rick's knowledge & inspiration to build such a world class car. Here's a few Alien photo's from the meet.

Rick, you are an inspiration to us all. Keep the flame burning. pray.gif

Tom
David_S
I have a video of The Alien pulling out of the parking lot at the Big Texan in Amarillo and damn near tagging a Limo that was pulling in !!!! Damn impressive car in my opinion !!!
iamchappy
Heres the scoop, Rick had a CV failure. He is stopping by my place in the morning and installing an axle. He has his pick of 4 extras i have.
Then he is off to Space land Alabama.....He is insane, God love him....

Aliens never die they phone home.......
rick 918-S
Hey all,

This push to get the car road worthy has been real trying. I'm thankful for all my friends that keep me motivated and help me along the way.

Yep, I have a total of 15 miles on the car. I was putting some miles on it and stopped at the machine shop that bored my block. I made an attempt at a very small chirp in the driveway at the shop and I had a CV snap.

So, we go down to pick up the Alien with the Mothership. I always load the car rear first. Today I decided to load it front first. Sandy asks, it's going to clear isn't it? I say ya, no problem... We push it up the ramp.... and Crunch! Busted the 916 glass front bumper. So... I just pulled the bumper off and glassed it back together. It ain't purdie but it's one piece. dry.gif

I'm a little upset about it but thankful for Chappy. I have no spare axles and was pretty much screwed. So with his help, I'm meeting up with Bill (wbertho) and were hitting the road. I have no break in miles on the engine yet. I still have the break in oil in it. I'm going to give some quick lube guy a stiffy tomorrow somewhere along our route when I pull in and ask him to give us a change. biggrin.gif

You guys have to know how great my wife is for putting up with all this goofing around. She has been very supportive. After all the wierd stuff that has happened over the last several months, she's still up for the road trip. confused24.gif wub.gif
wbergtho
Hey Rick,

I looked everywhere and couldn't find an axle. Chappy's axle will no doubt look brand new. Hell, his boots probably don't have a crack in them either. And yes, Sandy must have a lot of patience. Youve' literally been killing yourself to get the Alien together with one hurdle after another. If you want to perform the surgery at my house, I'm ready for ya.

Bill
rick 918-S
5:20 am here we go... assimilate.gif
lotus_65
good luck, rick!
SGB
We will turn on the tracking becon, Sir. Godspeed to you. smile.gif
iamchappy
We should get a homing device installed on the Alien so we can watch their progress.

Photos of the Alien at the Space Center should be our new car of the month.
rick 918-S
Well it was a short season. Maybe spring will come early. dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I just finished installing an electric boiler at "North Base Area 51" assimilate.gif
I've had hydronic tubes in the floor since I had the slab poured but never hooked it up. In floor heat is sooo weird. wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Sacriledge! Get her inside or activate her shields. biggrin.gif

very_first_smiley[1].gif
melnyk
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2008, 10:02 AM) *

I just finished installing an electric boiler at "North Base Area 51" assimilate.gif
I've had ihydronic tubes in the floor since I had the slab poured but never hooked it up. In floor heat is sooo weird. wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

HEY pipe thet relief valve to the ground! electric boilers are notorious for a sequencer welding shut and taking off and you dont wanna be near that thing when 30psi of 230* water comes out of that thing.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(melnyk @ Nov 9 2008, 07:06 AM) *

I've had ihydronic tubes in the floor since I had the slab poured but never hooked it up. In floor heat is sooo weird. wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

HEY pipe thet relief valve to the ground! electric boilers are notorious for a sequencer welding shut and taking off and you dont wanna be near that thing when 30psi of 230* water comes out of that thing.

Thanks, I just finished bleeding the system. I filled the loop with RV anti-freeze. I did want to take any changes if it didn't work. It's a closed loop. I don't have water service to the garage. I had a rubber return hose on the releif valve during the fill.
I used an RV 12V pump to fill the system. Now that the system is filled I will solder a down pipe on the valve.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 9 2008, 07:03 AM) *

Sacriledge! Get her inside or activate her shields. biggrin.gif

very_first_smiley[1].gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
melnyk
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2008, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(melnyk @ Nov 9 2008, 07:06 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks, I just finished bleeding the system. I filled the loop with RV anti-freeze. I did want to take any changes if it didn't work. It's a closed loop. I don't have water service to the garage. I had a rubber return hose on the releif valve during the fill.
I used an RV 12V pump to fill the system. Now that the system is filled I will solder a down pipe on the valve.
ooo keep an eye on the pressure. does it have a LWCO? ive noticed that anifreeze will leak out of insane places that water wont. sometimes just the af will leak out leave the water and knock off the pressure. worst case the water level gets below the aquastat and the thing will just heat the wanter until it shoots steam like crazy another good reason to pipe the relief valve to the floor. its a good system but make sure the sequencers are not stuck closed before you leave the shop everynight...
rick 918-S
ooo keep an eye on the pressure. does it have a LWCO? ive noticed that anifreeze will leak out of insane places that water wont. sometimes just the af will leak out leave the water and knock off the pressure. worst case the water level gets below the aquastat and the thing will just heat the wanter until it shoots steam like crazy another good reason to pipe the relief valve to the floor. its a good system but make sure the sequencers are not stuck closed before you leave the shop everynight...

What's a LWCO?

There was nothing in the instructions about that. Infact the instructions were the worse thing I've ever seen. I spent several hours surfing for better info on the net. I used another manufactuers plumbing diagram. It was way better.
melnyk
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 9 2008, 02:54 PM) *

What's a LWCO?

There was nothing in the instructions about that. Infact the instructions were the worse thing I've ever seen. I spent several hours surfing for better info on the net. I used another manufactuers plumbing diagram. It was way better.

a low water cut off control is basicly a probe that senses either water or pressure and will shut the system down if the water gets drained from the system

safgard mini lwco
melnyk
by the way you did a fantasic job. pumping away from the expansion tank is the best way to scrub the microbubbles from a system. you got a good diagram.
rick 918-S
Alien update:

Some of you may know I discovered I had a broken "S" cam. These are unobtainium. After market cams for these engines are in the neighborhood of
$ 1000.00. So in order to make one event this year I opted to install a set of US cams until I could find a "S" cam to replace my broken one.

There was a high mile 4.7L M/28 11 1980 928 euro spec "S" engine for sale on Rennlist for $ 1500.00 The guy decided to part the engine out when no one stepped up to purchase the engine whole.

I just sent the money for the cams! aktion035.gif

For those that don't know this is THE engine to get. It has the biggest ports and valves of the 16 valve engines, way better cams than the US engines and the inside diameter of the spyder tubes are larger than the US engines, also the throttle body is way bigger. The euro "S" makes 300 hp in stock trim turning a pollution pump,A/C, power steering, etc. (I don't have those hp robbers)
vs the US engine with 218 hp.

My original engine, (the one I broke) was an M/28 11 euro "S". I had my block bored to 5.0 and used 32 valve pistons modified with 16 valve notches. My heads are shaved alot. So My compression is like 10.5/1

Simply add the euro "S" top end and you have what the 928 guys call a hybrid. These are known to have 350 + hp as I understand.

So, next spring, WFO driving.gif
rick 918-S
I just realized I haven't bumped this thread for awhile. I actually drove the car three times this year already. (until it snowed again dry.gif ) I took a 50 mile round trip run up the scenic North Shore of Lake Superior for Lunch at Culvers. And I drove the car twice last week as a DD for work. Cool!

Sandy and I have two major trips planned this year. We plan to drive to Hershey for the Mid-Engine Invasion, and were Booked for the WCR in So-Cal. Hope to see you all there! assimilate.gif
BKLA
any updates?
rick 918-S
Here's a long over due update. Sandy and I made the trip out East to the Mid-Engine Invasion in Hershey PA. Most of you know about that but some may not. It was such a whirlwind trip I didn't even take any photos. Between driving and meeting everyone, I don't know how it happened but I have no photos. So you will just have to take my word for it. Or we could chalk it up to another Alien sighting... assimilate.gif

Sandy was in a masters class during our trip and had a final class project involving two other classmates. She completed her section while we were bumping and banging our way down the road submitted her section of the project to the leader while we were traveling. Being her typical controlling self she insisted seeing the final work before it was submitted for grading. Good thing she insisted because the final peice was a joke. So we had to disappear in the middle of the day on Saturday so she could get back to the room and fix the assignment and get it ready for grading. She pulled off another "A" so it was worth it.

Anyway, hey! I managed to meet some new friends and catchup with some old friends. For all you crazy people that came so far to meet up, swap stories and share food and laughs, my hat is off to you! I specially want to say how great it was to see Barber Dave. I don't want anyone to feel left out for not being mentioned so don't take offense. It was great meeting you all. I was pleased to see my good friend Ed Morrow. I have seen him at many events through the years. We have had some funny times. The Clock I gave him only has 914 on it. Ed always knows what time it is. Ask his wife. lol-2.gif She will give you one of these shades.gif

I had the great privlege of working behind the scenes as one of the planners. Until you've done this you can't know what a joy it is when people start signing up for the event and start a real banter about what a great time this will be. I specially wanted to meet the planners I was working with long distance. Ray, Mike and Zach and Rich. Pat yourselves on the back guys you pulled together a great time for all. All the sponsors were very kind and generous this year. We can never make these things happen without the sponsors. Thank you all!

I finally got to meet Rich Towle. We had some time to walk around the swap meet and talk cars. Rich is a real car guy with a vast background and a wealth of knowledge that runs deeper that 914's. I have a feeling we will see some real wild thing coming out of his garage over the next several years.

Anyone that has a photo to prove the Alien was in Hershey and this wasn't just an unexplained Alien sighting feel free to post it.
rick 918-S
Then about 3 weeks after Hershey we fired up the Alien again and headed to So Cal to the WCR 09. Sandy was finished with her masters class and had a break so she helped with the driving and photography this trip. I'll add a few photos as I go along.
I love traveling west!
Click to view attachment

Late night Arrival in Vegas. Thanks to John and Toast for a place to finally get a good night sleep!

Click to view attachment

And We have never felt so welcome! wub.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Next day we all headed to the WCR. Toast couldn't come. She had to work. We missed ya! bye1.gif

We took the long way! I have a real problem finding time to just relax but thanks to friends We made this a real vacation. Ed Morrow and his daughter Jen joined us in the morning and we headed to Hoover Dam. If you haven't been there for a while you will be shocked! They are consrtucting a new bridge across the river and it is dramatic to say the least!

Click to view attachment

The crew!

Click to view attachment

Then Ed and I spotted this fish from the dam! If you know how high the dam is you can imagine how big this fish must have been!

Click to view attachment

Then we headed for Route "66" What a great trip!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
We stopped at the Famous Roy's Motel in Amboy along Route "66"

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next we drove through the Joshua Tree National Forest. This is a very Alien place!

Click to view attachment

Here's Skull Rock

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Here's a picture of Ed in the nose of the skull. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

Sharing driving duties.

Click to view attachment

And really cute toes! drooley.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Arrival after about 2250 miles one way. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
Some photos from the WCR 09

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Rand
Nice. Double vision. A couple of my favorite 914s. A sweet 6 and a unique 8, both looking killer in black!
rick 918-S
Some photos from Mnt Wilson and Lancaster.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Gint
Hiya Rick. wavey.gif Let me know if you need anything here:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1200225888.html
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 10 2009, 03:04 PM) *

Hiya Rick. wavey.gif Let me know if you need anything here:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1200225888.html

Thanks buddy, I'm good for now! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I have been fighting an issue with my shifter since last fall when we attended the RCR in Huntsville. It has gone out of adjustment twice. I was loosening the pinch clamp in the tunnel and realigning the rods. (I have tail shift lingage to a side shift tranaxle) Well, it went out of adjustment again the other day. I slid under the car to see if there was any other cause I was missing like a worn bushing or something. I was moving the rod checking for play when I noticed the rod was moving inside the dog foot on the side shift end. I tightened up the cone screw and BAM! The car never shifted so good! duh! screwy.gif
majkos
You may feel silly about it,
but it's sure worth it!
Now you get to some serious shifting behind your V8!! driving.gif

I'm jealous.
rick 918-S
In my quest to improve my shifting I have been wanting to replace my rear shift bushing. Here's a link to a two piece bronze bushing I made from parts I picked up at Menards.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99331

Here's the end result.

Click to view attachment

Oh, BTW: Sandy and I leave for the RCC in three days. Over 1300 miles one way.
JRust
Looking good Rick! Wish I could make it to RRC but no go. Sucks as I am in Vegas the following week. Just couldn't stay there for 2 weeks dry.gif
Numbchux
So I just skimmed through this thread. And the whole time was thinking how cool it was that there was another Euro 928-swapped 914 out there. You see, when I first started looking into a 914, I asked a friend of mine who's done a few VW-subaru swaps for advice. and one of the first things he said was that he knows a guy with one with a 928 V8 in one.

Then I noticed your location laugh.gif

Do you know Phil at SVS Inc.?

Awesome build! and if things go well this fall, hopefully I'll be picking your brain over the winter for advice on my own build!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Numbchux @ Oct 29 2009, 04:37 PM) *

So I just skimmed through this thread. And the whole time was thinking how cool it was that there was another Euro 928-swapped 914 out there. You see, when I first started looking into a 914, I asked a friend of mine who's done a few VW-subaru swaps for advice. and one of the first things he said was that he knows a guy with one with a 928 V8 in one.

Then I noticed your location laugh.gif

Do you know Phil at SVS Inc.?

Awesome build! and if things go well this fall, hopefully I'll be picking your brain over the winter for advice on my own build!

Call me, I have two wiring projects. One right now and a second in the planning stages. Have Phil bring you over to Area 51 Werks! welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.