Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: Official Alien Build thread Started 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 26 2014, 09:18 PM) *

Actually Marty from MSDS is doing that right now. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

Cayenne twin turbo?!
drooley.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 26 2014, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2014, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 26 2014, 04:06 PM) *

In the spirit of the COTM contest here's the Alien build thread. The car made it out of the garage this summer for three short trips. I need to check out a wheel bearing issue before I hit the road again. Dang winters are hard on cars that sit in unheated spaces. dry.gif

^this! mueba.gif

Hey Rick, I might have missed it being asked or brought up before...have you thought of ditched the 928 motor and go with a newer V8 from a Panamera or Cayenne? MDB2.gif

Actually Marty from MSDS is doing that right now. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

I saw that thread...however I was disappointed by not seeing a woodworking router being used to make aluminum parts like yours!

EdwardBlume
The alien is an icon. One of the few named 914s everyone knows.
rick 918-S
Looks like The resurrection has started. Sandy told me she is not going to the route 66 Event this year in a car that looks like it has been road hard and put away wet. So I either suffer through the pain and get to work or we don't go. So I pull her out of storage and started. The windshield is out on the floor and the hood is off.

List of must do work:

Replace the busted windshield, dash pad, Fix the rock chips all over the front clip, Fix the fibre glas cracked 916 front end.

I am going to pull the engine to replace the cams. After I broke a euro cam and didn't have a replacement I installed a set of US cams. The euro-spec "S" stuff is high dollar and not easy to come by. I ended up purchasing a later "S" engine that actually has a better set of cams than the one set I broke. In the 4.7 configuration the 1980 euro "S" is rated at 300 hp. The later 84 4.7 "S" is rated at 310. With my 5.0 short block shaved heads euro heads and all "S" spec top end I should be around 360+
I have a leaking cam seal and I may as well replace the water pump and timing belt while the engine is out. beyond that the car needs a serious detail. But I will get to that when I get to it.

I'm not one to stand back and throw sugar at the car. I would rather drive it. That's what it's for.
r_towle
All in a month or two???
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 20 2016, 11:17 PM) *

All in a month or two???

I Know right?.... screwy.gif ...
76-914
I got a dollar that says he'll make it in time. See ya'll there Rick. beerchug.gif Kent
EdwardBlume
When Rick works on his cars, the soundtrack to the A-Team is playing in the background... biggrin.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 21 2016, 08:06 AM) *

When Rick works on his cars, the soundtrack to the A-Team is playing in the background... biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif

Rick loves it when a plan comes together!

IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 20 2016, 10:17 PM) *

All in a month or two???

And I am sweating whether I will get my master cylinder replaced in time for R66...
zambezi
Rick, do you still use the stock tension-er on the timing belt? I am using the porkens tension-er bought from 928srus. I am very happy with it and it is much easier to deal with because it auto tensions.
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2016, 08:44 PM) *

All in a month or two???

Rick - where do you get the new windshield? I need one too. Not for the trip though. For that I will be driving the put away wet cream sickle.
Plans for changing my name to Mike have hit a legal snag...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 21 2016, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 20 2016, 08:44 PM) *

All in a month or two???

Rick - where do you get the new windshield? I need one too. Not for the trip though. For that I will be driving the put away wet cream sickle.
Plans for changing my name to Mike have hit a legal snag...

My hair is just about that color now.

The windshield was sourced from the classifieds from the guy posting selling new glass. I purchase three windshields at once. I saved enough on the discount for multiple windshields by doing this that the shipping was free. They came packaged well and undamaged. I would buy from him again in a minute.

If you want to spend a bunch of money contact Porsche parts. I think you can still get factory glass or a re-run of the factory glass.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 21 2016, 10:36 AM) *

Rick, do you still use the stock tension-er on the timing belt? I am using the porkens tension-er bought from 928srus. I am very happy with it and it is much easier to deal with because it auto tensions.

Yep, stock unit. Never saw the need for the Porkens deal. I rebuilt mine and have the belt tension tool. I carry it in the car.

Looks like I am not going to make the event after all. I'm not able to get out to the shop like I need to. Can't say more than that but hope I can turn things around soon. dry.gif
seanery
Rick, what came of the redo? It's been 14 years (14 years!!!) since I've seen the Alien in person!
rick 918-S
Nothing since 2018... assimilate.gif the car is apart. I found this magazine That was part of my inspiration for the build of the Alien. Brad brought it up early on in the build. I knew I had the Magazine someplace. I found it while cleaning out an old file cabinet.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Posting an update for 914 day.

I started repairing several years of road rash 5 years ago. Has it been that long? I moved the Alien to my son's when we were getting ready to sell our house and move into the new house. After 3 years at my son's house the Alien was looking a little worse than she deserved.

Click to view attachment

She wouldn't start so she came home on the trailer. After a little clean up and a new battery cable she came back to life.

Click to view attachment

Had to christen the new concrete.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
aktion035.gif Legendary!
TRS63
Great to have some news aktion035.gif

Antoine
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

Probably one of my favorite 914's. Very cool to see you get your 914 back home and start work on it again.

If memory serves, you have glass flares correct? If you're going to paint, any thought to installing steel flares?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 15 2022, 10:41 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Probably one of my favorite 914's. Very cool to see you get your 914 back home and start work on it again.

If memory serves, you have glass flares correct? If you're going to paint, any thought to installing steel flares?

Thanks! Well I have thought about it. But at this point I don't see the benifit. Glass is lighter than steel. I had thought about a steel roof... shades.gif
Mueller
So great to see this car getting some attention, easily in the top 5 of all 914 builds!
rick 918-S
blush.gif Thank you Mike. We have been around here for a long time. assimilate.gif slits.gif
Root_Werks
Been a few months, any cool/fun updates?
rick 918-S
I finally have heat in my new detached garage. I have to finish Juergen's 6 before I can do anything else.
rick 918-S
The Alien is scheduled to get back in line to complete her resurection after Juergen's car is transported thru the space time continum on it's way home.

I received a special package from Marty today! We have talked about this for years. We finally made it happen.

When shopping for your exhaust needs don't forget Marty and MSDS! assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Those headers are truly a work of art!

Can't remember if your exhaust system was two independent by side or cross flowed?
JmuRiz
Oooo those should help flow nicely…maybe I’ve been watching too many episodes of engine masters. biggrin.gif
eric9144
wub.gif chowtime.gif LOVE IT!
Click to view attachment
76-914
How about you take us on a tour of that new garage Rick. Looks perfect. I saw you moved to WI but quickly realized you're only a couple of miles from your old place. lol-2.gif Any tax advantages in WI? beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Remember this T-Shirt? A favorite when working on the teener. Maybe another run of these in the future?
Chris914n6
Seriously??? You are going to paint the car AGAIN??!!

What is this, 7 out of 9 times? biggrin.gif

I remember you painted it twice right before an event. aktion035.gif

IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 11 2023, 11:54 PM) *

Seriously??? You are going to paint the car AGAIN??!!

What is this, 7 out of 9 times? biggrin.gif

I remember you painted it twice right before an event. aktion035.gif

IPB Image

Yes but you have to understand. We have driven the car hard all over the country. I had 3 bullseyes in the windsheild. The front glass 916 bumper was cracked the day I was supposed to go to the Rocket City Ramble. I fixed it and spray bombed the repair with flat black paint. The hood was covered in rock chips. I found a parking lot dent in the passenger door. I have a leaking Cam seal that I let go for 3 summers due to me work load and life after work schedule.

The car has been off the road now for since 2014. It's time.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 11 2023, 07:51 PM) *

Remember this T-Shirt? A favorite when working on the teener. Maybe another run of these in the future?

Ya that was great fun! I finally wore out my last one like yours. Had to toss it out.

I had these made too. This is my last one. Completely faded out now.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 10 2023, 05:53 PM) *

Those headers are truly a work of art!

Can't remember if your exhaust system was two independent by side or cross flowed?

Click to view attachment

This is what I had. Next time around I will use mandel bent tubing. I added a crossover from muffler to muffler. The single exhaust may have been a little too restrictive.

ClayPerrine
Rick,
You might think about upgrading the transmission to a Boxster/Cayman 6 speed. It's not as hard as it looks.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 12 2023, 07:29 AM) *

Rick,
You might think about upgrading the transmission to a Boxster/Cayman 6 speed. It's not as hard as it looks.

idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 12 2023, 07:53 AM) *

Rick,

idea.gif

Right now, with the 901, you have a 215MM clutch disk. With a boxster/cayman 6 speed, you would have a 240MM clutch. I used a Speck Engineering 944 Turbo pressure plate and a Boxster/Cayman spring centered racing clutch disk. You would have to make an adapter plate and a flywheel. If I remember correctly, you used a 901 flywheel bolted to the auto trans pressure plate for the 928. You might do the same thing with the 6-speed.

You need to put in a starter mount, but I already have that, and the trans mount, engineered. You lose the speedo drive, but that is solved with a GPS driven speedo. And you have to completely redesign the muffler setup. The 6 speed is longer and only leaves room for a crossover pipe behind it. Mufflers are too fat.

Axles are not an issue. I have a set that is a bolt in.

Let me know if you want any detailed pictures.

Clay
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 12 2023, 08:10 AM) *

Rick,

idea.gif

Right now, with the 901, you have a 215MM clutch disk. With a boxster/cayman 6 speed, you would have a 240MM clutch. I used a Speck Engineering 944 Turbo pressure plate and a Boxster/Cayman spring centered racing clutch disk. You would have to make an adapter plate and a flywheel. If I remember correctly, you used a 901 flywheel bolted to the auto trans pressure plate for the 928. You might do the same thing with the 6-speed.

You need to put in a starter mount, but I already have that, and the trans mount, engineered. You lose the speedo drive, but that is solved with a GPS driven speedo. And you have to completely redesign the muffler setup. The 6 speed is longer and only leaves room for a crossover pipe behind it. Mufflers are too fat.

Clay

My engine is already moved rearward to give me some room for cam pulleys. Not sure I will have an option to add more length. How long is the Boxster transaxle?

I used the crank side flywheel from the early double disc clutch set up for the 928 and had the thick shoulder from the 901 flywheel machined off and bolted from the back side to the 928 flywheel disc. I was literally the same outside diameter.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 12 2023, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 12 2023, 08:10 AM) *

Rick,

idea.gif

Clay

My engine is already moved rearward to give me some room for cam pulleys. Not sure I will have an option to add more length. How long is the Boxster transaxle?

I used the crank side flywheel from the early double disc clutch set up for the 928 and had the thick shoulder from the 901 flywheel machined off and bolted from the back side to the 928 flywheel disc. I was literally the same outside diameter.

There is about 3 or 4 inches between the rear of the motor mount and the rear of the car.

IPB Image

There is no room for a muffler, but there is room behind the trans.

How much did you back the engine up?

Clay
ClayPerrine
I went out to the garage and laid my cell phone on the ground to get this picture.

Click to view attachment

That is with a 1/2 inch adapter plate between the engine and trans.

I pulled your picture from your webpage of the alien's trans mount.

IPB Image

Considering you trim the transmission bellhousing, and you are only backed up that far, you should have room for the 6-speed.

biggrin.gif

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2023, 03:48 PM) *

The Alien is scheduled to get back in line to complete her resurection after Juergen's car is transported thru the space time continum on it's way home.

I received a special package from Marty today! We have talked about this for years. We finally made it happen.

When shopping for your exhaust needs don't forget Marty and MSDS! assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

...as if you even Need more torque

marty914.jpg Long welder.gif Tube aktion035.gif
r_towle
I’m happy you get to go out and work on your own car again.
I hope you enjoy each moment alone…tinkering.

I’m finally getting this barn find to stop marking its territory.
Then fuel, etc etc
Once that is sold, my old 914 is going to get done…and painted, and driven again!!
76-914
You'll probably want this chart as well. https://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmi...hart_Public.pdf
This is the starter. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk...a9%2BKatR%2Ffoj BTW Subaru gears makes a Quaif unit for the 5 sp transmission.
r_towle
I got a bit lost on this thread.
Did you put a Boxster motor and trans in your car? @76-914
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2023, 05:32 PM) *

Clay suggested I use a Boxster transaxle. Kent and I were talking about the the Subaru swap and he posted photos of the subaru unit as well. I have been thinking about changing out the 901.
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2023, 03:32 PM) *

Sorry for the confusion Rich. No changes on this end. Rick is looking at transmission options and needed to see the starter clearance on my '70 914. beerchug.gif
d914
If you go suby 5 speed you will need a LSD to hold it together per the guys at subygearz.. i was looking at that until I got the boxster s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.