Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Cairo94507
@speedo Man that looks great. Huge milestone to get the chassis corrected and color on. Now the fun stuff begins. beerchug.gif
brant
paint looks GREAT
nice job Lars
brant
bkrantz
Wow, that's very blue!
Speedo
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 20 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Wow, that's very blue!

Yes it is very blue...like a blue milkshake. Wait till you see the bottom, that was a ton of work. Next (if there is a next) time I may forgo the undercoating. I had to do something as the rear half underside of the car was covered with a nasty 50 year old coat of CRUD=crap+rust+undercoating+petroleum(oil). I know I will have some touch-up on the bottom when I get it home. Now I have to clear some working space in the shop...car was dropped off at the painter in August 2019...yeah no comment. Stuff just happens to fill up a void when created.

So I have asked the question a few times...for the plater, I have 99% going yellow zinc.
The only clear zinc I have going is the targa latches and the door strikers. Before I commit finishing seppuku please tell me what I am missing...
mepstein
QUOTE(Speedo @ Jul 22 2020, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 20 2020, 06:05 PM) *

Wow, that's very blue!

Yes it is very blue...like a blue milkshake. Wait till you see the bottom, that was a ton of work. Next (if there is a next) time I may forgo the undercoating. I had to do something as the rear half underside of the car was covered with a nasty 50 year old coat of CRUD=crap+rust+undercoating+petroleum(oil). I know I will have some touch-up on the bottom when I get it home. Now I have to clear some working space in the shop...car was dropped off at the painter in August 2019...yeah no comment. Stuff just happens to fill up a void when created.

So I have asked the question a few times...for the plater, I have 99% going yellow zinc.
The only clear zinc I have going is the targa latches and the door strikers. Before I commit finishing seppuku please tell me what I am missing...

Door hinge hardware at the front of the door is clear.
Speedo
[/quote]Door hinge hardware at the front of the door is clear.[/quote]

I just ran out and checked my son's 72 914 and the door hinge bolts are painted? You mean the door stay hardware?
Speedo
"Not everybody is a car guy"....

Brought the blue beast home this morning. At a stoplight with the windows rolled down, a guy next to me in a Mazda sedan says..."is that a Corvair"? I replied, "no it is a Porsche 914-6". His response was "Porsche huh, wow they sure have changed". I could think of nothing to say so I just smiled and nodded.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Speedo @ Jul 26 2020, 05:56 AM) *

"Not everybody is a car guy"....

Brought the blue beast home this morning. At a stoplight with the windows rolled down, a guy next to me in a Mazda sedan says..."is that a Corvair"? I replied, "no it is a Porsche 914-6". His response was "Porsche huh, wow they sure have changed". I could think of nothing to say so I just smiled and nodded.
Click to view attachment

Looking great,oh well atleast the guy didn't say is that a Fiat ? headbang.gif .
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif Bet you can't wait to begin installing parts to get that 6 back on its wheels.
Root_Werks
..."is that a Corvair"?

Nah, just nod and say; Yup, you nailed it buddy!
Speedo
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 26 2020, 04:44 AM) *

beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif Bet you can't wait to begin installing parts to get that 6 back on its wheels.

I just need to figure out where to begin. It was a long time ago when I took this apart for a "quick" resto. I am making lists and getting organized...
I have already restored the suspension and steering. I want to make sure I don't get ahead of myself. I think I will work backwards from the front of the car focusing on electronics first.
Luke M
Looking good Lars..

Keep the pics coming. piratenanner.gif
Speedo
Dash paint question. I now have completely removed my dash to paint the firewall under and behind it. With the dash out, I now need to decide what color paint goes where on the dash. I presume the cockpit side is all black (satin or semi or both?), but the firewall (backside) is not clear. There is both blue and black on the backside...thoughts? Be easiest to just prime and paint the entire dash (inside and out) black, but not sure that is correct. What did the factory do?
Speedo
Hornets nest and spaghetti...is what I am starting with.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Attractive...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
I'm using my son's 72 1.7 to figure out my wiring harness. Front and rear trunks are accessible. Behind the dash and under the gas tank not so much. Can someone post a pic or two of how the harness is routed across the back of the dash and down through the bulkhead/firewall into the front trunk please? I need to order some grommets (914 Rubber) and some black cloth wiring harness tape (vendor?) before I secure the harness to the chassis. Is black shrink wrap the best way to re-cover the wire "hold-downs"?
Suggestions are appreciated.
bkrantz
914 Rubber has the cloth tape.
Luke M
Hi Lars,

The 6 looks good in paint. 914Rubber has all that you need, tape, grommets, and the wire hold down inserts. I got all of my parts from them so I'll be ready when my time comes.

As far as wiring layout check out the links. It'll will give you an idea where the harness goes. Hope it helps.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78492

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...335629&st=0
Speedo
Thanks Luke! Getting organized to put in my rubber order. I probably need 80% new rubber, but just can't decide which kit to order...early, later, just out of paint etc. Anybody have any recommendations? I also need the engine compartment pieces and windscreen gaskets.

Unwound the hornets nests and started working on cleaning up the wiring. PO had done a hack job on the harness. I had a stereo wired in, and a few extra gauges for oil pressure and voltage as well as a plug for a trailer (PO was big on auto cross and me thinks he had a tire trailer. Got rid of the un-necessary and cleaned up the harnesses. All of the cloth tape was trash, but fortunately my replacement black cloth tape had just arrived. Looks a lot better...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Spaghetti! Wiring takes time, cleaning up hack jobs to wiring takes even longer. It's looking great, very clean.
Luke M
Hi Lars, maybe a little late but I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuFs3HaUj0...eature=youtu.be
Speedo

Thanks Luke! Not too late. Those guys up at RD have been very helpful...especially Peter.
Just ordered a big rubber batch from 914 Rubber and my stainless fuel lines from Tangerine racing.
Lots going to get done this weekend. Spent a few hours on Sunday making my trannie look less like a baked on grease bomb.
Cairo94507
Thanks for posting that link Luke. Even though my car is done, I thoroughly enjoyed that harness installation video. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Four big boxes of stuff arrived from 914Rubber. New dash, bumpertops and miles of rubber seals. Going to work from the front to the rear of the car. Lights horns and fogs first. The mechanisms were incorrectly painted black by the painter, They are now the correct grey. Click to view attachment
Speedo
I was going to paint the faded plastic headlight surrounds but was coached to bleach and scotchbrite instead...worked great.Click to view attachment
Speedo
One of my horns worked (barely) and the other not at all. I disassembled the horns, repaired them, sandblasted and now will paint. I am to assume the same grey as used on the headlight mechanism?Click to view attachment
Speedo
Final challenge for the day. I am trying to emulate the yellow zinc on my rear calipers...for my front alu Bremtek race calipers. Back and forth over what is the best way to do this...without sending them out. Picked up some yellow anodize colored rattle can high temp paint. Tried on some raw alu and color didn't come close. I picked up a rattle can of high heat gold and will spray the gold and then try to "dust" the gold color with the yellow anodize to see how close I can come.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Where do I get these nylon bushings for the headlight mechanism axle shaftsClick to view attachment?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 6 2020, 03:44 PM) *

Where do I get these nylon bushings for the headlight mechanism axle shaftsClick to view attachment?

On you next 914rubber order. biggrin.gif
Speedo
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 6 2020, 04:12 PM) *

Ok, got that order coming today. biggrin.gif
Were these brackets body color or grey headlight assembly color?
mepstein
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 13 2020, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 6 2020, 04:12 PM) *

Ok, got that order coming today. biggrin.gif
Were these brackets body color or grey headlight assembly color?

grey. They only get painted body color when they get hit with a cheap respray.
Cairo94507
Agreed- they never came body color. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 13 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Agreed- they never came body color. beerchug.gif

Make that three.
Speedo
Thanks guys! Working on the front of the car today, and the calipers. I have the parts diagram for the headlight assembly, but it would be a lot easier if I had a picture of the mechanism without the surround and louver so I could see the assembly. I also have the L and R black plastic covers for the sides of the lights. My understanding was that the covers were on 72 and later cars? A lot of what I am finding would suggest some parts of the front of the car are not original...but I have seen no evidence of a "hit" or repair. Maybe just PO doing minor repairs/upgrades?
Speedo
Horns restored and wired in. Rest of headlight parts sandblasted, painted and waiting for plastic bushings. Louver motors cleaned, turn housings degreased and ready for sandblasting and paint. Boots installed on wiring corners.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
So I think I have achieved a close approximation to the yellow zinc (on my rear calipers), on my front aluminum calipers. I used hi heat paint and it took a lot of experimentation.
Base coat is gold and I dusted metallic silver and yellow anodizing. Pretty damn close. The rear zinc'd caliper for comparison. You will like it or hate it. I am ok with it. The calipers are hidden behind the fuchs. The only time you will see the calipers, is when the car is on the lift, or if I have just driven over you and you happened to look up. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Vin plate adds a degree of reality.Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 13 2020, 12:21 PM) *

Thanks guys! Working on the front of the car today, and the calipers. I have the parts diagram for the headlight assembly, but it would be a lot easier if I had a picture of the mechanism without the surround and louver so I could see the assembly. I also have the L and R black plastic covers for the sides of the lights. My understanding was that the covers were on 72 and later cars? A lot of what I am finding would suggest some parts of the front of the car are not original...but I have seen no evidence of a "hit" or repair. Maybe just PO doing minor repairs/upgrades?

I’m pretty sure I have plastic covers on all my early cars. They are fours, not sixes but I think they were on sixes as well. Anyway, I’m sure someone who knows for sure will chime in.
Cairo94507
I have had 2 '70 6's and my current '71 6, all came with the plastic covers installed. I have never seen a stock car that did not come with them. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Sandblasted and painted the turns.

Click to view attachment
Speedo
Done....Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Headlights done... Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.