Bremtech ,,, cool old period calis
Speedo
More...Click to view attachment
Speedo
More..
Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 21 2020, 04:15 PM) *
look good but try chrome spray can for better reflection with lamps, great progress ,used to follow your 911 builds on pelican, great work as usual, cheers.
Speedo
So is the gas tank a satin black or semigloss? And the sheath for the front trunk release...polyethylene or nylon? Mine shattered in several places.
Speedo
Behind the scenes working on my son's 1.7 and haven't been able to get much done on my car. We want to get him to paint, and to do that the engine goes back in after his hell hole metal work (wish that was the extent of it dry.gif ) and need to get him running.

Still working behind the dash on my car. Hardest grommet I have ever installed is the through the panel grommet for the 3 wire heater controls to the blower. Cannot install the blower till I run the wires. Can't run the wires till I have the dash in place. Can't put the dash in place till the top is re-upholstered and new dash installed. Gotta re-basket-weave the face at the same time. Worked on the front of the dash today, finished the caliper re-builds and installed the new fog lenses (thanks Brant!).
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
altitude411
QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 15 2020, 06:02 PM) *

I was going to paint the faded plastic headlight surrounds but was coached to bleach and scotchbrite instead...worked great.

Speedo you are killing it. aktion035.gif Fantastic work ...Your surrounds came out great. Can you give a quick #howIdidit.
Speedo
Will be finishing up the dash and installing this week. When that is done, the instruments go back in and I get to figure out all the wiring. The control for the blower gets installed and the blower goes in. Having trouble finding the seals for the master cylinder lines from the brake fluid reservoir. 914 Rubber doesn't have them, and cannot find a source. Would like to get that box checked. With the dash in place, I guess the steering can be connected. Want to hold off on adding any suspension, although I am tempted as it is all refurnished...concerned that it will just get in the way. Next will be to restore and install the fuel tank and windshield washer reservoir etc. Trying to work my way from the front of the car to the rear...methodically. I keep finding more rubber items that need to be replaced. Feel like I should just cave in and get a 914 Rubber Visa for the points. More pics this week.
brant
Awesome
Cairo94507
@speedo did you try Eric Shea at PMB Performance for the master cylinder seals? beerchug.gif
Speedo
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 16 2020, 12:47 PM) *

@speedo did you try Eric Shea at PMB Performance for the master cylinder seals? beerchug.gif

I did check PMB and like other suppliers, they only sell the "grommet/seals" with new MCs. I rebuilt mine, and just need the seals. Looks like PP has them so ordered and we will see.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Speedo @ Nov 17 2020, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 16 2020, 12:47 PM) *

I did check PMB and like other suppliers, they only sell the "grommet/seals" with new MCs. I rebuilt mine, and just need the seals. Looks like PP has them so ordered and we will see.

I would suggest giving him a call. He is far more passionate about seeing projects come together than adhering strictly to what might seem available on his site.
Cairo94507
I agree. Eric is a great guy and true lover of our cars. beerchug.gif
Speedo
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 18 2020, 07:05 AM) *

I agree. Eric is a great guy and true lover of our cars. beerchug.gif

I agree...he has helped me before.
I did call and spoke to one of his salespeople.
She told me the seals were only available with a MC purchase.
I did source them through PP and they are en-route.
Speedo
Not sure why the dash has intimidated me. Maybe because I can't weld it...anyway finished up the 914Rubber rebuild and replacement top. Looks great.Click to view attachment
Speedo
I'm guessing the wiring once tha dash is installed is whats bugging me. PO had all kinds of crazy "back woods" crap wired into the bundle. I selectively removed a lot of the stereo and alarm stuff that looked sketchy.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Installed....and the fun begins?Click to view attachment
Speedo
I added foglights to the dash. I am going to begin the wiring connections and reduce the unknowns by wiring up the obvious. I emailed Ian Karr (little guilt in advance) as it was his dash cover video that compelled my to go after mine...to see if he has any behind the dash wiring guidance.

Finished up the re-assembly of the calipers...they are all completely rebuilt. Master cylinder is now installed and lines from reservoir connected. The infamous grommets on the top were sourced from PP.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Meanwhile the son's 914 engine re-install is completed and Houston, we have ignition.
This is now a rust-free 72 1.7 apparently soon to receive a stroked 2.2 six. I just want my lift back.
Root_Werks
I always like coming to check on your progress, very inspiring. Makes me realize just how much my 914-6 needs.
Speedo
So while I have your un-divided attention evilgrin.gif ...
Cleaning up the PO's wiring experiments, and I am left with these "jumpers" to the fuse panel.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Looks like they are all hot, pulling 12volts for additional gauges? I am to presume I can just delete them?Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I don't see any reason not to get rid of those. I think getting rid of all the previous decades worth of BS shade-tree wiring is half the problem in sorting electrical issues. Get the wiring all back to factory and then add whatever you need for your needs correctly.
Speedo
Ok! Extra wiring goes bye bye. What the heck would this flasher relay have been used for? PO did actually have a tire trailer he towed to autoxs...could this have been for his trailer lights? Completely understandable to me. If I saw a 914 towing any kind of trailer. I would expect ALL the lights on both car and trailer to be flashing and probably not in harmony.

Click to view attachment
Speedo
Turns out my rear defrost switch was taken by trolls...went missing. I have learned that it is actually the same switch as the foglight switch. I have an extra light switch which may or may not work in its place. So I may need one or the other...and if you have one or the other extra laying around please PM me. Once I get that sorted...it will be the climate control that goes in next wiring and then the blower unit...and then the instruments. Then cockpit wiring. Probably not going to install the gas tank and wiper reservoir until I can check all the electrics...so I don't risk having to pull things out again.
This is my first 914 rodeo, so feel free to interject if I am addressing things out of order.
Feel free to post if you see a silly mistake. If you see a REALLY big problem with what I am doing...no need to go public, send me a PM. unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Speedo
So I need some help deciphering this red lead off the back of my ignition console.
Large red wire entering console, and it is confirmed as being connected to my fuse panel at #11 and the console at #30. The small red wire comes off the console at "R" and has a female spade. Tell me what this connects to please. sad.gif Click to view attachment
Speedo
Had some success with the "rat's nest" of wires in the dash. Getting to be really good at this point in reading schematics and chasing down wire colors. We'll see how successful I am when the system gets to the point of being hooked up to a battery. Instruments in...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Big step getting the instruments back in the car and sorting all of the previous owner(s) shade tree add ons. Now it will be a nail biter when you put juice to it for the first time. I would leave the battery ground just snug enough so it works but so if you need to pop it off quickly, you can. Of course fire extinguisher and an extra set of eyes help too. beerchug.gif
brant
Nice work!!!
jaredmcginness
Restoring and installing the gauges in my car was such a big moment for me. All part of the big picture. Keep it up!
Speedo
The steering wheel will be a stock size, but a surprise. My son and I are working with a wood-working friend on an alternative to the plastic rim. It will still incorporate the batwing horn center. Nuff said...
altitude411
QUOTE(Speedo @ Dec 22 2020, 07:07 PM) *

The steering wheel will be a stock size, but a surprise. My son and I are working with a wood-working friend on an alternative to the plastic rim. It will still incorporate the batwing horn center. Nuff said...

huh.gif popcorn[1].gif
Speedo
So I have been working on getting my son's car ready for paint, to paint, and then back from paint. It is now back, but will need to be re-assembled and then taken back to the painter for touch up and some PDR for dings...long story. While getting ready for paint, we realized he was missing a front valence. At that point...wondering where my front valence was, I realized that I too was missing a front valence. This did not surprise me as the car was flogged for years as an autox dog. Brant thought he had a couple extra valences and after looking, determined that he had two...one nice and one needing rehab. The son grabbed the nice one and I have been working on the "rehab dude"...sort of fitting I guess. It had some dents, and needed some welding...both of which I am capable. I didn't grab any before pics, but here is what we have achieved. First was a bit of wire brush to remove the old paint, to see what we were working with. A good part of the challenge was rebuilding the protrusions covering the front of the torsion bar attach points. They were missing some steel...likely from years of parking to close to, or on top of the concrete parking barriers at the front of mall parking slots. It involved welding enough steel to be able to grind down and re-shape what was missing. Here is stripped, welded and welds massaged.
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Speedo @ Dec 22 2020, 06:07 PM) *

This is what I want to do to match the shift know that Zack made. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!
Speedo
Next step is to identify areas that still require massaging. Metal work by "feel" has it's limitations. I added some high build primer which will allow me to sand and identify high and low spots. I can work the steel more...or use filler where it makes sense. This area on the front of the car is low to the ground and will receive a lot of abuse. I am going to use a Wurth stone guard product which has a texture to it, so some of the imperfections will not be visible anyway. And the finish will likely be a satin or flat black...coupled with being low to the ground, so I'm not too worried about minor stuff. Re-engineered t-bar front covers/humps.

Click to view attachment
Speedo
And the other side...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
High build prep... you can see the planishing hammer strikes.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And with high build primer coats...Much better although I still have some work to do.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Even with Wurth stone guard, the imperfections are going to be obvious so I want to create a better canvas. I feel like a dermatologist...marked the high and low areas for more attention.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
At this point, I am going to use some filler for the remaining irregularities. This is about as far as I can go...with hammer and dolly.
Speedo
Head lights...and all the related dash wiring still has me a bit stressed. I need to finish up the under bonnet stuff...washer reservoir, lines, pump etc. I have everything except for the teats that hold the pump to the firewall, and fresh clear lines. Once those and the reservoir are in place I will install the steering rack. Holding off on the fuel tank till I can test some of my electrics. Speaking of which...(Thanks Ian), I watched his headlight resto youtube and saw how he tested the headlight motors. I tested both of mine which are all installed and they both work as expected (hoped)...yesss!
Luke M

Looking good Lars... beerchug.gif

Don't let the wiring get to you. You got it almost done then move onto something else.

Speedo
Gas tank got pulled off the shelf and dis-assembled this weekend. Tank looked new inside, fuel sender seemed to be working correctly. Got rid of a few scratches, primed and painted. New gaskets and back together. Going back into the car as soon as I get a new filter screen, the outlet gaskets and the correct fuel line to connect the tank to my new stainless lines. BTW what is the verdict on the length of the new fuel lines...keep them short and access them and the clamps from underneath the car through the opening in the suspension cavity, or make them long enough so you can connect them from above and such that they will coil under the tank as you lower it into position?

Next, I don't remember my tank having a charcoal canister mounted on top of it...although the parts diagram tells me it did? I also looked at my son's 72 1.7 and he has the whole setup from the charcoal canister through the drivers inner fender along the underside of the door sill and into the engine compartment. My six is missing the holes in the chassis for all those "vapor lines" to the engine compartment. Is the system on the 6 different? In my PET diagrams I only see two configurations for the charcoal "re-circulation" systems...and the one similar to my tank shows the system exactly like my son's 1.7 but I don't remember removing all that stuff. I'm hoping my 6 eliminates some of that so please make my day. blink.gif
Pics coming shortly...
mepstein
There's a discussion thread about early sixes and charcoal canisters. IIRC, the early 70's didn't have one, later 70-72 did.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=317791
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.