Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 23 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Still thinking about oil coolers. There is a local guy to Denver doing some interesting re-configuring of the old trombone coolers. They can be made in all kinds of contorted shapes and they are always in the airflow. And they were pretty effective at dissipating heat. Anybody have pics of these being used in 914's before? And I presume they are made of copper with soldered fittings?

IDK...but here is one,, maybe in the pas. fender well?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188776
Speedo
Scheduled to go check the car out in primer this Friday. I am wondering if the seam sealer and undercoating (where both are needed) are ok to be applied after primer? I was wondering if they should be applied before primer. If they are applied after primer...should those areas be resprayed with primer before color?

Also going to pic up two trombone coolers to try to engineer a system underneath the rear of the car to help keep the 2.4 cool(er). If I kill one, I'll have a backup smile.gif
Cairo94507
That is my car above with my original oil cooler system on my Six running a 3.0 w/Webers. According to the 2nd owner it never overheated and he used to traverse the Santa Cruz mountains regularly in the summer. beerchug.gif
Speedo
I just realized that my car is missing the rear valence. Was it supposed to have one or was that an option? If it came with the six and it is missing, I need to source one quickly.
Speedo
After spending three hours under my car priming the recently re-sandblasted floor, I realized my 1970 chassis does not have the oil line hook. Did all 6s get them, or some not? Do I need to source one?
porschetub
QUOTE(Speedo @ Jun 27 2020, 12:22 PM) *

After spending three hours under my car priming the recently re-sandblasted floor, I realized my 1970 chassis does not have the oil line hook. Did all 6s get them, or some not? Do I need to source one?

Easy enough to make for a man of your skills biggrin.gif .
mepstein
I think RD and McMark sell them.
Cairo94507
As far as I know, all Sixes had the oil line hook. Well, I can only really confirm '70 & '71 had therm, I have not owned a '72 Six. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Ok, I need to get one of those on the chassis before it gets paint. I also need to source the front trunk plug as mine has gone missing. Does anybody have dimensions by chance and measurements for positioning that piece? Why is it that I am only now discovering all the schwagg I need that I don't have...now that my car is at paint? Have two more small items to mig...close up the emblem holes on the front hood, and thr extra holes in the door top for the Vitaloni mirrors that will not be re-used. Color is imminent.Click to view attachment
Speedo
more
Click to view attachment
Speedo
and more
Click to view attachment
Speedo
last
Click to view attachment
Speedo
I guess the quick way to figure out the oil line hook would be for me to measure someones six for both the hook dimensions and location. If anybody in the Denver area has a six available I would appreciate it...there is beer in your future. With a mask of course! biggrin.gif
brant
Lars,

it looks good.

ferg might be able to hook you up with a -6 owner

also I need to introduce you to Ginter
he has a -6 over here closer to me.
brant
Luke M
Hi Lars,

The 6 looks good and coming along nicely.
The hook gets welded by the left rear suspension reinforcement plate. On my 914-6 there's a 5 mm gap between the plate and the hook. Posted a few pics for you.

Which trunk plug do you need? Is it the one on the trunk floor that turns and locks?
I may have a spare if so. The hook is being made and sold by RD.
gandalf_025
Another set of pictures

.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Thanks for the pics guys...why would the PO (or anybody) remove the "hook"?
Yes I think the front trunk circular plug is the one that turns and locks? I will look in my sons car tomorrow.
restore2seater
QUOTE(Speedo @ Jun 27 2020, 07:47 PM) *

Thanks for the pics guys...why would the PO (or anybody) remove the "hook"?
Yes I think the front trunk circular plug is the one that turns and locks? I will look in my sons car tomorrow.

Sent you a PM. @Speedo
Speedo
So "restore2seater" graciously sent multiple pics and dimensions of his oil line hook
and I was able to fabricate the "hook". My new short term dilemma is sourcing the two drain plugs/plates for the front trunk. Per Porsche these are NLA so my only option is to harvest these from another chassis. My understanding is that once the old seam sealer is wire-brushed off...they can be tapped out easily. I will post in the classified section a WTB, but in the interim if anyone has these, please send me a PM. The picture is of my son's 72 1.7, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want me to steal these from his car. dry.gif Click to view attachment
mepstein
Yes, the seam sealer (other than rust) is the only thing that secures them.
Speedo
Oil line hook attachment question. In the first two pics of the green chassis, it looks like the hook is "butt" welded to the edge of the flange. In the second set of pics it looks like the hook lays over the flange and is welded at the base to the outside of the flange. Which is correct? I fire up the Lincoln in an hour biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
lays over, factory is spot welded to existing flange..pancake #41
Speedo
That looks like it is spot welded to the inside of the flange? Not the outside?
sixnotfour
#390 I bought from Steam Boat Springs, CO. 1978
1st pic engine compart. out
2nd pic outside looking in

mig it,, leave a hanger..
@speedo
Speedo
Mig welded the hangar. Spent the afternoon with chassis black. Friday is undercoating. Then color. I'm getting burnt on the underside of this car.
Cairo94507
Going to be well worth it when it starts to go back together. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Moving along now...

Click to view attachment
preach
Oooo, nice color!
Speedo
Making sure my painter has all my "bits" and starting a pile of parts for refinishing. Curious about clear vs yellow zinc...my internal door latches are obviously yellow, but it looks as though my lid and trunk latches are clear? Which is correct? Sure would be easier if all the hardware was either clear or yellow. And in one of my boxes I ran across this parts which I cannot identify (looks like it was refinished yellow). On a 911 it reminds me of a bracket that supports the fresh air vent. Can someone id this for me please?Click to view attachment
Speedo
Another view...Click to view attachment
zoomCat
It looks like the bracket that holds the front turn signal into the fender. I may ba able to get a better pic tomorrow.
BPic
agree.gif

Click to view attachment
Speedo
Yeah, that's what it is and why I have two of them. Yellow plating?
BPic
That’s what I did. But not sure if it’s correct.
914Sixer
Yellow is correct color
Speedo
So to be clear...any metal refinishing is to be yellow? No clear used anywhere on car?
Speedo
closer
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Now time for the cockpit. Have to do this by hand. Before....
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And after...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Beauty...just installed an engine..in one the same color
BPic
@speedo

Looks great!! Isn’t this milestone an awesome feeling? Congrats!!

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Speedo
Putting together a box of parts to get plated. Basically 99% of the plating will be yellow zinc. I only have a few bits to be clear. Door striker and targa latch...anything else?Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.