Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Speedo

[/quote]
Looks good Lars. Do you have the rear trunk spring tool ?
This tool will help make the install easier and safer.
https://914rubber.com/rear-trunk-spring-pre...-relieving-tool

Won't be too long.... driving.gif
[/quote]

I don't have the tool. When re-installing the springs in my son's car we realized that that tool works to un-hook the springs from the rollers when everything is installed in the car. Nothing was installed in the car so we were able to use a deep 1/2 drive socket and ratchet and four arms to tension the springs onto the rollers. It was sketchy but nobody died. We'll probably do the same for my springs.

Wait till you see the tool I used to stretch and secure the hood springs...it was perfect, and only used one arm!

Oh yeah...not driving too soon as the original 2.0 is pickled on the shelf. The 2.4 S engine gets built this fall. w00t.gif
Speedo
Couldn't find a used windshield...get the impression they mostly get broken while being un-glued. Didn't want to spend $700 getting one shipped from Sunset Porsche, so did the next best thing and picked up one locally from Auto Glass Now for $180 and hope that it fits. Maybe glass install this weekend? Then wipers? Then shifter and linkages?
Speedo
Need to re affix my paint code. The alu rivets are steep thread and measure 1.75mm x 5mm. Anybody have a source for these?
mepstein
Aase might. They have a lot of the small stuff.
Speedo
Shifter, hand throttle and heat...making headway.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Engine lid and grill done as are the grill pontoons...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Found the front trunk shelf. Carpet was pretty clean.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Targa top has been sanded and rolled with three coats of satin...still looks too glossy to me. Maybe that is because so many tops are sun faded?
Click to view attachment
Speedo
I installed the windshield today...prepped everything. Lined it up and marked it on all four sides. Laid the rubber stops and the butyl was perfect. Looked great till I installed the trim. Unfortunately several of the plastic trim pieces broke. I was using new 914 Rubber trim and plastic retainers. I was gentlely taping the trim in place but it seemed like the plastic clips just cracked imeadiately. I am 90 % secured but don't like the fact that my lower left corner, upper left corner and right top next to the joint are floating. Really don't want to remove the windshield and start all over. Can I use urethane glue on the corners that didn't work...or should I pull it and start all over. huh.gif
ctc911ctc
I am up against this same issue - decided to outsource the project. I also purchased new clips from another Porsche parts house that claimed OEM, They seem pretty solid.

Windshield guy tells me he can save the windshield, reset and install trim - NP

We shall see.

QUOTE(Speedo @ Oct 17 2021, 07:31 PM) *

I installed the windshield today...prepped everything. Lined it up and marked it on all four sides. Laid the rubber stops and the butyl was perfect. Looked great till I installed the trim. Unfortunately several of the plastic trim pieces broke. I was using new 914 Rubber trim and plastic retainers. I was gentlely taping the trim in place but it seemed like the plastic clips just cracked imeadiately. I am 90 % secured but don't like the fact that my lower left corner, upper left corner and right top next to the joint are floating. Really don't want to remove the windshield and start all over. Can I use urethane glue on the corners that didn't work...or should I pull it and start all over. huh.gif

iankarr
QUOTE(Speedo @ Oct 17 2021, 09:31 PM) *

If the trim is secure and just the corners aren't locked, I'd use some 3M weatherstrip adhesive or something like that and just tack those corners down. Sucks when they break. A few have done that on mine in the past. The important thing is that enough clips are holding the trim so it doesn't fly off while driving.
Speedo
Talked with Mark at 914Rubber and he suggested trying to glue the loose spots with either trim adhesive or double stick tape. I have the 3M adhesive and gorilla tape, but I'm not sure about lifting the trim high enough to get either product in place. He also mentioned that if that didn't work that I could use a special tool to release the trim that did catch the clips, remove the trim, replace the broken clips and re-install new clips and them re-install the trim again. It is going to be tight no doubt. Anyone know what that tool looks like? I really don't want to destroy the trim in the process.
Speedo
I think I have wrestled the trim into submission. Got focus on the headlight covers and brows. No beam adjustment just yet. So far...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Left
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Right
Click to view attachment
autopro
Amazing work! I love the color, I am going with something very similar on my build.
914Sixer
Love the work. Under the engine lid grill is supposed to be black along with the two side pieces.
Speedo
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 25 2021, 10:22 AM) *

Love the work. Under the engine lid grill is supposed to be black along with the two side pieces.

I realized after the fact. I actually like the blue -black contrast. I'm not feeling guilty just yet unsure.gif
Speedo
QUOTE(Speedo @ Oct 3 2021, 10:01 AM) *

Need to re affix my paint code. The alu rivets are steep thread and measure 1.75mm x 5mm. Anybody have a source for these?

Small victory. Actually four small victories. Consolidating some left-overs today, I found this A pillar section I saved from a donor car. I happened to see the paint code was still attached...with the rivets I need. piratenanner.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 19 2016, 04:57 PM) *

A sleeve or doubler makes sense. I will need to do it differently than Rick as I am not replacing the entire inner rocker. I will sleeve the area from the inner wheel house to behind the jackpoint, and then the area behind my inner rocker repair. I want the sleeve to lay flush with the inner rocker and wheel house repair so I can get good welds. I think I can engineer the sleeve to fit up after welded to my repair.
I want to figure out where the jackpoint fits first.Click to view attachment
Then fit the sleeve behind my repairsClick to view attachment
Sleeve fitted behind wheel house repairClick to view attachment
Inner rocker sleeveClick to view attachment
Everything tied in and fitted
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

What are those acupuncture gizmos sticking in there?
Speedo
Elusive rascals
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Ba-da-bing. Re-secured without problem and door switch with new rubber.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
I have been on a sabaticle...working on reviving this Click to view attachment and now that it has been returned to life, I will pic back up where I left off.
Speedo
Been working on the front valance from Brant. Needed welding, metal shaping, priming, texture and finishing. Ready to install.Click to view attachment

Valance and bumper get installed tomorrow. Then I need to get the foglight grills finished and installed. I also have made three attempts to refinish the top and I have had both paint and dust issues...third coat applied today with a 3 " roller and I think we are good. Pics forthcoming...
brant
Nice!
Speedo
My fourth attempt on the targa top. A little bit of dust found its way to the top as the paint was drying... mad.gif ...again. This will suffice.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.