Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Speedo
But I have a couple questions. The PET is unclear as to where the washers go on the front of the control arms. It shows washers on only one side of the nuts shown on the bottom right of the previous picture. Shouldn't there be washers on both sides?

Second, the spacers/shims that mount on top of the link bearing...what is a default starting setup? I have three 4mm and two 3mm?

Lastly, what is the "stopper" shown in item #4 on the PET illustration 501-00? Is that something to hold the shims in place?

Speedo
Sourced a better set of rear turns as mine were severely "heat compromised"...thanks Luke. I wanted to re-chrome the internals and while preparing to mask off the reflectors from the housings I realized that the reflectors could actually be removed from the housings entirely. This was good news as I had two different types of reflectors, and of the four (old set and new to me set) only two were undamaged. Being able to remove the reflectors allowed me to mix and match. So now I have two reflectors that are the same.
Cleaned them up and used chrome paint...big improvement. Housings separated from reflectors
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Reflectors before...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
These look a lot better...
Click to view attachment
Luke M
aktion035.gif beerchug.gif
raynekat
This car is getting somewhere....and it all looks great.
Well done!
Speedo
Managed to pull my hubs into the new bearings in the control arms without destroying the inner race. I had a large washer behind the bearing but I was still concerned. Really didn't want to ruin a bearing and start all over again.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And while I was at it, I went ahead and mounted things up. I want to mount the coil-overs but I don't want to get the chassis too heavy as the dolley wasn't designed to support an assembled car. I plan to do that when I get the car on the lift.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Speaking of coil-overs...This is my first experience with these. I disassembled planning to repaint the struts and coils and noticed that the cartridge in the strut had no "return" and basically the same resistance being pushed in or pulled out? Is this normal or do I need to get new cartridges? Or do I just send them back to Koni?

In....
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And out...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Also I was preparing to install the tail light housings and couldn't remember where my wiring notes ended up. The L and R turns are obvious, but need to figure out what goes to 54, 58, RF and 31. Obviously running lights, brake lights, back up and ground. If someone has those handy that would help. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Big day...got my lift back biggrin.gif
Son came home for two weeks to push through the post-paint re-assembly of his 72 1.7 yellow beast. Had to spend some time going back and forth to the painter to get it right. Done except for the interior. Very nice.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
This changes everything. No more crawling under the dolly. My knees are thankful.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Almost...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Liftoff...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Time to finish up the suspension and send my wheels off to Al Reed.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Started cleaning up my oil tank...bad decision. What looked solid covered in road grime wasn't. Small perforations along the top seam where the rear wheels picked up debris and deposited it there. It held moisture which over time ate through the copper and then the steel. As the perforations were along the top edge, it suffered no obvious leaks. Rest of the tank is very solid so I am going to repair this one. No sense in mig welding it, and as it is not structural, I think I can get by with brazing it. Pretty small holes. Once brazed it will get completely wire brushed and sealed. Before...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
During...
So the brazing went well and the tank was wire brushed and etched. It looks pretty sketchy at this point...completely de-nuded
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And after...
Treated to a couple liberal coats of POR 15 and it looks much better.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Working away on the front suspension. Something very satisfying about bolting up fresh parts. Slight dilemma with my bump steer modification...upper two U-joints were binding.
Figured out where the binding was happening, and removed about an 1/8th on the washer and binding disappeared so everything got tightened back up.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Could this be the correct mirror for my 6? Wasn't where it was supposed to be...but it is long and narrow with the correct base.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Speedo @ Aug 5 2021, 08:05 PM) *

Could this be the correct mirror for my 6? Wasn't where it was supposed to be...but it is long and narrow with the correct base.
Click to view attachment

Looks correct to me.
Root_Werks
Having a lift is a game changer. My last shop had one and I used it often. Looking great!
Cairo94507
That is definitely the correct mirror for your Six. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Suspension and brakes
Click to view attachment
Speedo
These front brakes are monsters
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Rears are done except for dust shields and e-brakes. New coil overs and hardware. PET does not show where the bracket that supports the front of the rear brake dust shield goes. Is it under the head of the bolt and lock washer?
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And the frosting on the cake...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Waiting for the tires to arrive and get mounted...then I will have a roller after many years.
Oil tank install tomorrow... smile.gif
KELTY360
Oh man! You show the box and not the goodies? Guess I’ll have to be in suspense til the next edition. Love following this build.
raynekat
QUOTE(Speedo @ Aug 14 2021, 05:14 PM) *

Rears are done except for dust shields and e-brakes. New coil overs and hardware. PET does not show where the bracket that supports the front of the rear brake dust shield goes. Is it under the head of the bolt and lock washer?
Click to view attachment

From memory, doesn't the dust shield need to go behind the rotor such that you need to remove the calipers as well. I did this so many times in my build, you'd think I certainly know this by heart? blink.gif
Speedo
Rear dust shields
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Re-built axles
Speedo
And fresh Fuchs. Thanks to Al and Diane Reed. 15 x 6 wearing 205-50-15 Kumhos.
Speedo
Been a long time since this beast has worn rubber.
Speedo
Finished up the dust shields, torqued the castle nut, and attached and adjusted the e-brake cable. The underside of the car will never be this clean again. dry.gif
Speedo
Underside
Speedo
Last time the beast was on his wheels was a long time ago.
Speedo
New wheels and tires...I lied, refinished wheels, but new rubber.
Speedo
Definitely getting harder to resist the temptation to just start bolting things onto the car...out of order. Hood, lids, doors etc. I hate having to un-do something to get better access.
Speedo
Meanwhile, Bullethead supplied me with a decent suspension cover that needed some love. Metal worked it a bit, took it down to bare steel and treated, primed and painted in satin black. A little bit of love with new edges from 914Rubber and we are good!
Dion
Simply beautiful! aktion035.gif
TRS63
This car is turning out amazing wub.gif

Thanks for sharing,

Antoine
Speedo
More progress...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
More...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
More...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Engine lid... came out nice. Removed all the letters to re-finish the grill. Scribed the back of the grill to remember where the letters went. Paint completely obscured my scribe marks. Lucky to have my son's car nearby to measure his lettering to replace mine. blink.gif
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looking really nice. Fun to see it all going back together and looking like new. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Need to level the hood and get the headlight covers and brows dialed in. Engine lid gets attached when I get an extra set of hands, and then I figure out re-attaching the rear lid and springs without killing myself in the process. Doors, decos and bumpers are next...and if someone will remind me where I safely stored the front windshield I would appreciate it.
Luke M
QUOTE(Speedo @ Sep 7 2021, 09:53 AM) *

Need to level the hood and get the headlight covers and brows dialed in. Engine lid gets attached when I get an extra set of hands, and then I figure out re-attaching the rear lid and springs without killing myself in the process. Doors, decos and bumpers are next...and if someone will remind me where I safely stored the front windshield I would appreciate it.

Looks good Lars. Do you have the rear trunk spring tool ?
This tool will help make the install easier and safer.
https://914rubber.com/rear-trunk-spring-pre...-relieving-tool

Won't be too long.... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.