Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Speedo
So it looks like I dodged a bullet. My inner drivers fender only has the hole for the antenna.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
That means my car never had the charcoal canister and the entire evaporative system.
So when I get my antenna installed and fuel line from 914 Rubber to connect to the bottom of the tank and the new stainless lines...it gets installed. My tank wasn't in bad shape, but it is now better.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Some cosmetic surgery...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Looking a bit better. Thanks to Luke for all my stupid questions on paint and finishes and holes to look for...
Click to view attachment
Luke M
Looks good Lars. Looks like no evap for you then.
Glad to help.. beerchug.gif
Speedo
Almost ready to install the gas tank. New fuel lines, screen and clamps. I purposely am using high pressure line vs the cloth woven rubber low pressure lines. But I have a question...when we installed the gas tank in my son's 1.7, the access hole made installing and clamping the fuel lines difficult, and the line ended up with a pinch (which we had to remedy) making a tight turn from the tank fittings to the stainless new fuel lines. I have heard that a way to avaoid that hassle is to install longer fuel lines that will coil under the tank when installed. I measured the length needed and it looks like 30-32 inches would allow me to comfortably install the lines first on the tunnel fuel lines (from above), then with the tank supported, bring those lines up and install on the tank (easy access), and then sit the tank in place with the lines coiling up underneath. This sounds like the way to go. And in the event I need to un-install the tank, I just lift it out with the lines not needing to be disconnected through the access hole. Thoughts...suggestions?

bye1.gif
krazykonrad
What paint did you use for the tank? I've been trying to figure out which finish is factory correct.

Thanks,
Konrad
Speedo
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 19 2021, 03:44 PM) *

What paint did you use for the tank? I've been trying to figure out which finish is factory correct.

Thanks,
Konrad

Pretty sure I went with flat black...based on the advise I got here.
Speedo
As I definitely don't like to get overly aggressive and install parts that will impede my ability to install other parts without un-installing the parts I shouldn't have installed...
I am trying to get everything ready to install the gas tank for good. Once the gas tank is in place...nothing else is accessible. I don't plan on having a radio in the car, but the antenna will be installed and the cable will be routed to where a radio "might" be in the future. So I have the antenna cleaned up and ready to install, but I don't want it in the way of other things...hood, windshield, wiper blade etc. Does the cable disconnect from the antenna itself? I need to get the cable installed...but want to hold off on the antenna.
It doesn't look like it disconnects here...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Next is the steering rack which (now that I have the firewall bushing...thanks Bruce) will go in shortly. Cleaned and serviced with a freshly powdercoated crossmember.Click to view attachment
Speedo
Most if not all of the dirty work in here has been done. Let me know if you see something out of sort or incorrect so I can fix it.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Once the crossmember and steering rack are installed, new turbo tie rods are waiting.
Ready to be done with the front of the car and move to the cockpit mechanicals.Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
One of the fun parts about putting a 914 back together is all the nice new clean parts. So much nicer than rusty, greasy take apart.
Luke M
QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 19 2021, 06:22 PM) *

Most if not all of the dirty work in here has been done. Let me know if you see something out of sort or incorrect so I can fix it.
Click to view attachment

Looks good Lars. A few things. I take your putting in the rack prior to tank install.
Looks like you are missing the felt pads for under the tank. Most replace them with rubber or neoprene pads. I posted a pic of my 6 for the location.

Also is your steering rack cross member correct? Hard to tell if it's the early/6 style. Post a pic of the t-bar area. It should be flat not round on the end.

Don't forget the two rubber side pieces for the tank. They get wedged between the tank and chassis.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 29 2021, 08:29 PM) *

So it looks like I dodged a bullet. My inner drivers fender only has the hole for the antenna.
Click to view attachment

The charcoal canister on a 70 six was only installed on cars originally sold in California. Our 70 six has one, and all the holes for the lines. The lines had been removed by the DAPO's DAPO (Not Rusty). I have a set of lines in my vast plethora of 914 parts, and I will be cleaning them up and installing them.

Clay
Speedo
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 20 2021, 03:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 19 2021, 06:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks good Lars. A few things. I take your putting in the rack prior to tank install.
Looks like you are missing the felt pads for under the tank. Most replace them with rubber or neoprene pads. I posted a pic of my 6 for the location.

Also is your steering rack cross member correct? Hard to tell if it's the early/6 style. Post a pic of the t-bar area. It should be flat not round on the end.

Don't forget the two rubber side pieces for the tank. They get wedged between the tank and chassis.

Luke,
Good call on the felt. I have it somewhere...and or rubber to replace is a good idea.
I have the rubber wedges for the sides all ready to go. I have one picture here, but I'll get better picks of the crossmember. I removed it from the car with the A arms and struts and immediately took the package to get sandblasted and powder coated. Been stored ever since. If it is not correct the PO must have swapped it out? Car was never hit up front so not sure why it might have been replaced? The pictures will tell the story...
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The crossmember looks correct.

If you need pictures of how something goes together on a 70 six, let me know. I can take a picture of ours for you. It is mostly unmolested.

Clay
Luke M
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 20 2021, 08:37 AM) *

If you need pictures of how something goes together on a 70 six, let me know. I can take a picture of ours for you. It is mostly unmolested.

Clay

Clay, The cross member is not correct. Look at the ends where I have it circled.
Go look at your 6. I bet it's flat like I have posted above. The one I took off my 6 is flat as well.

Here's a link to one.. Same as early 911/914-6.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2277967
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 20 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Clay

Clay, The cross member is not correct. Look at the ends where I have it circled.
Go look at your 6. I bet it's flat like I have posted above. The one I took off my 6 is flat as well.

You are right.

I went out and took pictures of the crossmember on the six, and one in the parts pile in the garage. In all my years of owning 914s, I never noticed this difference. The /4 has a rounded end, the /6 has a square end.

You learn something new every day.

Clay
Ferg
Is it done yet Jk

You have my # when u need a hand
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 20 2021, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 20 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Clay

You are right.

I went out and took pictures of the crossmember on the six, and one in the parts pile in the garage. In all my years of owning 914s, I never noticed this difference. The /4 has a rounded end, the /6 has a square end.

You learn something new every day.

Clay

There's a long thread on world from a couple years ago about the difference. Some six owners swear their four crossmember was original but it would be odd since Porsche built the six pieces onto the Karmann built bodies at the Porsche factory and would probably not have the 914-4 pieces in the parts bin - but stranger things have happened with these cars.
Lars - I have a powder coated 911 crossmember if you want one. I can't guarantee the finish is the same sheen as your other pieces. Price is half whatever the going rate is (you decide) plus ship.
Speedo
Where do I go from here...
Luke, you were correct. The crossmember ends are round...which makes it a 914 crossmember?
Click to view attachment
Speedo
The bigger question is how did this car end up with this crossmember? I looked in my stash and fortunately I have two 911 crossmembers. And while they both have square ends, they are different. I'm guessing the bottom one is early, maybe SWB 65-68 and the upper is later, say 69-whenever they came out with the aluminum version.Click to view attachment
Speedo
I'm guessing I need the upper 69-later version?Click to view attachment
Speedo
Just another item to get sandblasted and powdercoated dry.gif
Nobody responded to the antenna question... unsure.gif
I don't want to install the antenna now, as it will be in the way. But I also don't want to install the gas tank now and have to fish the antenna cable behind everything and through the grommet in the firewall when I'm ready to install. But, if the antenna is not able to be separated from the cable at the base...I don't have any options?
Luke M
QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 20 2021, 04:24 PM) *

I'm guessing I need the upper 69-later version?Click to view attachment

Lars,

You need the 69 to 73ish 911 cross member. Looks like you may have one on hand.
Just line the 911 one up with the 914 unit . If all lines up use that one.
The antenna wire I believe is crimped into the base so that will not come out.
I recall cutting the one off my car and it was crimped.

You got my # so throw me a text if you need a hand.
Speedo
So now that my son's car is "almost done" I get to focus on the 6. One thing that troubled me is that I have the new rear lenses, but can't find the housings...anywhere.
Thought I was losing my mind. I looked through all his boxes of spares, nothing. Looked through all my shelves and boxes of parts, nothing. Started to wonder if his tail lights were actually mine...texted Brant and he assured me that the tail lights on Leif's car were the ones it came with as a project. Ok, one more 3 hour afternoon lap around the shop looking in obscure places for the housings ...and nada. So I posted a WTB expecting to meet the new "scammer du jour" who knows that his buddy has just what I need and was I ready to purchase...ugh
Speedo
Made a few calls...found some leads but just odds and ends. Nothing clicked. Thinking I was going to have to buy a left and right separately and restore...wasn't appealing. I hate losing or misplacing "stuff". sunglasses.gif
Speedo
Tada...trumpets in the distance rolleyes.gif
So I am not going nuts...yet. I mentioned my frustration to my son in not being able to find the tail light housings, and that I had literally torn up the shop to look for the parts.
He asked if there was any way I had taken them with the car to the painter to assist in dialing in the replacement corners I had welded in prior to paint. Car went to the painter in August 2019...yes it is possible. I texted the painter who said there were a set of housings sitting in an old rusty targa with a lot of other spare 911 parts. I drove down to Denver not knowing what to expect, and there they were...not crushed, still with the old cracked lenses. Fortunately they hadn't been thrown into a dumpster with the rest of the spent 911 parts! He used them to fit the housings and put them somewhere while painting...and forgot. Thus they spent 18 months outside. No big deal, I will remove the old lenses, clean them up. New seals and lenses and we are good to go. cheer.gif
Speedo
Progress on the fuel tank this weekend when I wasn't looking for the lost tail lights.
New fuel lines and clamps and filter and hose (high pressure) getting ready to re-install tank.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Fuel lines installed. Need another hand to install tank.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
brant
Glad you found those lights.

Ready for plaiting?
I have a bag needing to be silver before long
Speedo
All the other stuff that needed to be done to install the gas tank...is finally done. Actually that is a lie. When I installed the tank, I had to remove it two times...once for the overflow drain, and second for the tank straps. Now all good.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Added the A-arms and tbars today. Bumped the tbars to 21mm just because I like a firm ride.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
All done...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Competed...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
More great progress! Meanwhile, I'm taking apart a 914-6 I didn't want to. Sigh, at least you are going in the right direction!
Speedo
Brake lines, axles and suspension. Cleaned up (scotchbrite/paint-thinner/clearcoat) my brake lines and refurbed my pressure regulator. I'm pretty pissed off at the guy (me) that bent the crap outta the brake lines when he dis-assembled the car. Re-fitting the lines has been a challenge as none of them wanted to fit. Felt like I was trying to install Toyota brake lines on a 914. Pressure regulator rehab...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Completed...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Installed with lines in the rear.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
And the front. Installed bump steer bushings at the same time.
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Ran into some trouble with the rear axles. Inner CVs were nasty but acceptable. Outer rubber boots were solid but the CVs were filled with crud...a mix of dirt and sand that made me wonder how they could have turned. Once everything was de-cruded, the inner race on the left side outer was badly pitted. I started a new thread on options and found that early 911 axles have the same diameter and splines as the 914-6. I had an extra 911 axle and stole the inner race from the CV. I am waiting for new boots and clamps to re-assemble.

The rear control arms are ready to re-assemble.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.