Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6/904 project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 24 2015, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 23 2015, 08:00 PM) *

2- Where are them damn greedy Admins when you need them blink.gif

Probably over on the Club site. The World has admins that aren't greedy...

--DD

icon12.gif icon12.gif icon12.gif icon12.gif icon12.gif
Eric_Shea
Me thinks Glenn-Bob and Dug-Bob should join farces and make Adam-Bob an offer he can't refuse.

I think a well done 904 project would be cool.

Saving the Garretson car would be even cooler.

Slithering back to my greedy admin cave (after I ban Rich for life of course) hide.gif
Chris Pincetich
popcorn[1].gif
shades.gif
beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 24 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Me thinks Glenn-Bob and Dug-Bob should join farces and make Adam-Bob an offer he can't refuse.

I think a well done 904 project would be cool.

Saving the Garretson car would be even cooler.

Slithering back to my greedy admin cave (after I ban Rich for life of course) hide.gif

pray.gif You are a wise one oh source of all Shea Lotion... rolleyes.gif
Mike D.
I really don't care either way...

But, what's the deal with "Da Spoodster" - it just looks like a RatRod 356... am I missing something there?
Stacks914
While it's cool its in no way the responsibility of the owner to preserve a car. If you wanna preserve it, like the man said......he takes checks....sounds like bigger ones
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 24 2015, 06:01 PM) *

But, what's the deal with "Da Spoodster" - it just looks like a RatRod 356... am I missing something there?

If you read through all 14 pages of the build thread, a ton of work went in to that rat rod. It was a coupe that someone really fuched up.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 24 2015, 05:01 PM) *

It is painted in Eastwood Rat Rod Black, so you're right there.

If you read the build thread you will see someone long before me wanted a Cali Widebody, so they built one out of an A Coupe. I got it and made it into a Speedster, using all metal. It was cool, but it took me years. It's in Australia now.
Mike D.
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 24 2015, 06:22 PM) *

If you read the build thread you will see someone long before me wanted a Cali Widebody, so they built one out of an A Coupe. I got it and made it into a Speedster, using all metal. It was cool, but it took me years. It's in Australia now.

Was it Mike Z.? happy11.gif
gereed75
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 24 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Adam, Just to set the record straight, my offer was well over $10,000.00 and it was you who posted "I got it for $15,000, and sold the gearbox for $5000, so I'm down to $10,000. "... not me.

Signed "one guy"
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I just have 1 question.
Is a 904 replica made out of a historically significant race car considered an outlaw?
clown2.gif
bigkensteele
This reminds me of a FS ad I put up on Pelican a few years ago when I had my 911. When I bought it, the gauges had red faces, which was not an entirely out-of-the-norm mod, but not my taste. I found a set to replace them and then put them up for sale on Pelican.

Good God All Mighty! It was as if I had posted a drawing of Mohamed on the ISIS "Sex Slaves for Sale" forum. The thread was inundated with comments about how terrible they were. Any potential buyers were obviously put into place as to where the "crowd" felt about such a modification, and essentially shamed into not purchasing them. I still have them.

I pray that is not what we are becoming here. Anyone who really, really thinks that this car should be preserved has the opportunity right now to step up and front the cash to make that happen. It is very rare that I find myself disagreeing with Rob or Rick, but in this case, if you think that this car is that important, then form a consortium with the others who agree and buy the car. He isn't holding it ransom. He just wants to be made whole for what he has spent and where he is at on his project. If that can't happen, then maybe this car really isn't that important.

The first MLB night game to be played under lights was at Crowsley Field here in Cincinnati. Sorry to say that Crowsley and all he built is long gone, but life goes on.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 01:13 AM) *

This reminds me of a FS ad I put up on Pelican a few years ago when I had my 911. When I bought it, the gauges had red faces, which was not an entirely out-of-the-norm mod, but not my taste. I found a set to replace them and then put them up for sale on Pelican.

Good God All Mighty! It was as if I had posted a drawing of Mohamed on the ISIS "Sex Slaves for Sale" forum. The thread was inundated with comments about how terrible they were. Any potential buyers were obviously put into place as to where the "crowd" felt about such a modification, and essentially shamed into not purchasing them. I still have them.

I pray that is not what we are becoming here. Anyone who really, really thinks that this car should be preserved has the opportunity right now to step up and front the cash to make that happen. It is very rare that I find myself disagreeing with Rob or Rick, but in this case, if you think that this car is that important, then form a consortium with the others who agree and buy the car. He isn't holding it ransom. He just wants to be made whole for what he has spent and where he is at on his project. If that can't happen, then maybe this car really isn't that important.

The first MLB night game to be played under lights was at Crowsley Field here in Cincinnati. Sorry to say that Crowsley and all he built is long gone, but life goes on.

Ken,
He was offered more than he has in it. He could be made whole. That is apparently not what he wants. He holds the cards. It's his to do with what he will...
But when you get to the track, those guys care a lot more about history. It will always be the car that was made out of a historically significant race car. confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 24 2015, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 01:13 AM) *

Ken,
He was offered more than he has in it. He could be made whole. That is apparently not what he wants. He holds the cards. It's his to do with what he will...
But when you get to the track, those guys care a lot more about history. It will always be the car that was made out of a historically significant race car. confused24.gif

You guys are really missing the point. Let's concede that I was offered enough to cover what I have in the car, by one guy, maybe a little more, but still not enough to get me into a running driving six conversion. Every car I was offered was well into $25,000-40,000. So once again, why am I supposed to take a $$$ hit to pass this car onto someone? I don't see any of you guys willing to take a hit when I wanted to buy a six conversion. Cars that less than a year ago would have been about $10,000-15,000 are now double that. I know because I went back a year into classifieds here and on Pelican, but now that the market is up on all air-cooled Porsches everyone wants big money for their conversions, not because they have more in them but because they think they are worth more. Great, that's a free market economy, but don't act all communist when it's time for me to sell my car.
My 60 Roadster, I horse traded a rough Roadster project and a 73 911S for it about 10 years ago, but am I supposed to sell it for around that, or the $125,000 it's worth now? You can read the full story here when I wrote it up in the Early S Reg magazine:

r_towle
Adam, how much do you want for the car?
Put a number on the table, if it's met, off you go..
If it's not met, break out the tools and start your project.

Shea may be the one to buy it.....
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2015, 05:19 AM) *

Adam, how much do you want for the car?
Put a number on the table, if it's met, off you go..
If it's not met, break out the tools and start your project.

Shea may be the one to buy it.....

R-
I don't want to sell it, the car works for my needs on the project. A bunch of guys are saying they want to save it, so I said I would sell it, but I need enough money to replace it.
Are you coming to the open house on the 5th?
jmitro
this thread is amusing, with all the armchair quarterbacking. biggrin.gif

Let the guy do whatever he wants, it's his car.

Good luck with this awesome project beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
You're the one who said you're in the business of flipping Porsches. If you did your due diligence I'm pretty sure you'd come out quite on top if you sold it and found another donor. Your car, do what you want. But we're still allowed to have an opinion.

Whatever you do, FINISH IT. I just get sick of seeing decent tubs cut up because someone wanted to make a hot-rod 914, then they never finish it, effectively ruining it for the next person.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 10:55 AM) *

R-
I don't want to sell it, the car works for my needs on the project.

There we have it ladies and gentlemen.

You toyed with the group for pages saying that you'd let it go if someone presented a serious offer. However it was clear when you wouldn't list a price that you were just blowing smoke. Thanks for finally just saying that the "car is not for sale." Right?

If it's for sale, then list a price. If it's not then don't beat around the bush and make it sound like this car could be rescued from this project.

IIRC, this car's last chance at being saved is if you find that the kit won't fit on the other donor car.

Just trying to make sure I and others understand. Perhaps I'm a bit slow. confused24.gif
iwanta914-6
I really don't care one way or the other. I think though he is basically saying he needs $30K+ so that he can turn around and go buy a Six Conversion to cut up. Otherwise it's just easier to continue with this car because the price fit the budget he had in place for this project.

There are plenty of cars with racing provenance rotting away in junk yards, at least this one can live on under a different skin.
gms
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 25 2015, 02:09 PM) *

There are plenty of cars with racing provenance rotting away in junk yards, at least this one can live on under a different skin.

Really are you sure there are? real IMSA developed cars? please point me to them because all the other IMSA 914s that I know of are in car collections
dug
I wouldn't post again but he's calling my offer mediocre.

I offered him a very nice chassis, all transportation costs both ways and the work to swap engines because I want to keep my twin plug 2.8 RSR motor with PMOs. For all his complaing, if that had happened I would have spent a LOT more getting that car ready than mine.

I never said what I paid for the chassis, but he never asked. Pretty sure he missed out:) Mediocre offer indeed.

I also never said who would do the work, and he never asked. I was actually planning to have my friend who currently works at Jerry Woods' shop do the work, because I have too much to do at work.

I think its hilarious that he keeps complaining about spending thousands on doing some mechanical work to get the car ready on a forum where most readers are serious DIYers. Dropping out the engine and trans is an afternoon job with only a floor jack. I havent done it since I got my lift. It's probably less than 2 hours now.

I think Randy nailed it. Lots of fishing going on.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 25 2015, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 10:55 AM) *

R-
I don't want to sell it, the car works for my needs on the project.

There we have it ladies and gentlemen.

You toyed with the group for pages saying that you'd let it go if someone presented a serious offer. However it was clear when you wouldn't list a price that you were just blowing smoke. Thanks for finally just saying that the "car is not for sale." Right?

If it's for sale, then list a price. If it's not then don't beat around the bush and make it sound like this car could be rescued from this project.

IIRC, this car's last chance at being saved is if you find that the kit won't fit on the other donor car.

Just trying to make sure I and others understand. Perhaps I'm a bit slow. confused24.gif

I didn't list a price because this isn't a FOR SALE thread, it's a thread about my project. When I first got the car and everyone said it should be saved I made the offer of a trade for a six conversion, there were no takers. Now months later and several thousands of dollars spent people have again expressed outrage at the idea of me using my car in my project. I again said I wasn't attached to the car if someone wanted to buy it. So don't twist this around like I am "blowing smoke" or teasing people about selling the car. Unlike every other car in my collection that isn't for sale at any price, I would sell this one if someone wanted to save it. What I'm not going to do is give it away and be back on the open market trying to find a comparable six conversion, the prices you guys are asking are insane, some of the offers guys were sending me when I was looking were just crazy, $30,000 for an un-finished conversion, really?

Also, @GMS, if you don't believe there are Porsche race cars rotting away, you should go barn hunting with me sometime, like this one, I was buying up a whole field of 356's and poked my head in the tent.
rhodyguy
NO LONGER FOR SALE. Give it a rest. Or offer him more money than any person in their right mind would turn down. Pretty simple. To me.
gms
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 02:46 PM) *

Also, @GMS, if you don't believe there are Porsche race cars rotting away, you should go barn hunting with me sometime, like this one, I was buying up a whole field of 356's and poked my head in the tent.

I would love to go barn hunting with you, when i see the pictures of the 356 loaded up on the truck it make me drool. point me to the 962 chowtime.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dug @ Aug 25 2015, 11:46 AM) *

I wouldn't post again but he's calling my offer mediocre.

I offered him a very nice chassis, all transportation costs both ways and the work to swap engines because I want to keep my twin plug 2.8 RSR motor with PMOs. For all his complaing, if that had happened I would have spent a LOT more getting that car ready than mine.

I never said what I paid for the chassis, but he never asked. Pretty sure he missed out:) Mediocre offer indeed.

I also never said who would do the work, and he never asked. I was actually planning to have my friend who currently works at Jerry Woods' shop do the work, because I have too much to do at work.

I think its hilarious that he keeps complaining about spending thousands on doing some mechanical work to get the car ready on a forum where most readers are serious DIYers. Dropping out the engine and trans is an afternoon job with only a floor jack. I havent done it since I got my lift. It's probably less than 2 hours now.

I think Randy nailed it. Lots of fishing going on.

Dug-
I think you are contradicting yourself. You say I should do the work, it's only two hours, except you yourself were too busy and you were going to pay someone to do the work if you did the swap. Yes, I can drop a motor, and put one back in. But I'm a firm believer in the "Code of Clint" that "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations". So when I allocate a half day to a day a week to work on my own stuff, should I do what I'm not good at and do the mechanical, or do what I enjoy, which is the bodywork? Also, while I can do mechanical I know my limitations in tuning a Porsche, especially one built to race specs with stuff like hydraulic clutches. So yes, rather than butcher my way through the mechanical aspects of the car, I am paying to have that side of the project done. I don't enjoy what I'm not very good at, who does?
I did go fishing last week, caught a bass at my lakehouse in NH, is that the fishing you are talking about?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 11:58 AM) *

I would love to go barn hunting with you, when i see the pictures of the 356 loaded up on the truck it make me drool. point me to the 962 chowtime.gif

The worst is when you find the stuff but the guy won't sell. I went a guy's place outside of Philly a few years back. He had about 10 cars in his yard, 3 of which were Speedsters. He says, "that one is a Carrera." I asked if he had a motor, he took me in his basement, he had three 4-cams! All these car were outside under waterbed covers, but he wouldn't sell a thing, even though they had been outside since before I was born (1974). In his garage he had even cooler stuff, a 59 Carrera Coupe and RSR #1, the car Harry Bizteck won the Canada Cup with, the one with the big maple leaf on the side. But nothing was for sale, he would rather the rot outside.
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 04:03 PM) *

The worst is when you find the stuff but the guy won't sell. I went a guy's place outside of Philly a few years back. He had about 10 cars in his yard, 3 of which were Speedsters. He says, "that one is a Carrera." I asked if he had a motor, he took me in his basement, he had three 4-cams! All these car were outside under waterbed covers, but he wouldn't sell a thing, even though they had been outside since before I was born (1974). In his garage he had even cooler stuff, a 59 Carrera Coupe and RSR #1, the car Harry Bizteck won the Canada Cup with, the one with the big maple leaf on the side. But nothing was for sale, he would rather the rot outside.

You just have to wait and buy it from his widow. Sad but true.
gms
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 03:03 PM) *

That has got to be heart breaking, have you ever had success going back a couple times? how many Carreras have you found in the wild?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 03:03 PM) *

That has got to be heart breaking, have you ever had success going back a couple times? how many Carreras have you found in the wild?

I've actually never bought a Carrera, and I normally shy away from the stuff. Normally the 4-cam stuff is overpriced and hard to move once you have it.
But yes, I have stayed on a lead, sometimes for years and gotten the car. I took me five years to buy this 55 Speedster, including several trips to the guys place when he said he was ready, only to get there (7 hour drive) and have him tell me he changed his mind.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2015, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 04:03 PM) *

You just have to wait and buy it from his widow. Sad but true.

That's funny, I recently bought a whole truckload of 356's from a guy, he introduced me to his wife who said, "Is this the Adam I'm supposed to call if you don't wake up one morning". We all laughed.
gms
got to be one of the best jobs in the world!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 12:36 PM) *

got to be one of the best jobs in the world!

Some days, yes, other days I wish I still had my Corp. job.
Like this day, bought a one owner 86 Carrera from a guy, it arrived, the paint is flowering off, the interior looks like animals have been living in it, and the key breaks off if the lock, mind you the steering lock is on, the wheels are turned and its on the front of a car carrier, the 18 wheeler kind...
ConeDodger
"I didn't list a price because this isn't a FOR SALE thread, it's a thread about my project. When I first got the car and everyone said it should be saved I made the offer of a trade for a six conversion, there were no takers. Now months later and several thousands of dollars spent people have again expressed outrage at the idea of me using my car in my project. I again said I wasn't attached to the car if someone wanted to buy it. So don't twist this around like I am "blowing smoke" or teasing people about selling the car. Unlike every other car in my collection that isn't for sale at any price, I would sell this one if someone wanted to save it. What I'm not going to do is give it away and be back on the open market trying to find a comparable six conversion, the prices you guys are asking are insane, some of the offers guys were sending me when I was looking were just crazy, $30,000 for an un-finished conversion, really?

Also, @GMS, if you don't believe there are Porsche race cars rotting away, you should go barn hunting with me sometime, like this one, I was buying up a whole field of 356's and poked my head in the tent."

Outrage? Really? Wow! What's with the drama. confused24.gif I only knew about this thread for 3-4 days. I'm not outraged. I just think it's idiotic to cut up a car with race history when you don't have to. It took me about 5 months to find an engine for my 6 conversion. Many of the other parts took longer. But with some patience, I got the parts I needed at a price both me and the seller could live with. You express disbelief that anyone would want this car because it sat for 6 months before you bought it. That is unbelievably quick in this world. First you say you wanted to be 'made whole' and then when it is proven you have offers that do that, now you want to make enough money to buy a 6 conversion at $30K 'because you've spent thousands'. Really? Looks like you bought it, had it shipped and took the bodywork off. Then you sold the differential. Now you've recouped about 1/3 of your investment and you're looking to get $30K? lol-2.gif Wow... Let us know when you find the unsuspecting sheep. sheeplove.gif
Bruce Hinds
yawn.gif
So, when do we get to see the first cut? sawzall-smiley.gif
bigkensteele
Just when it turned civil, here comes Hurricane Rob! happy11.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 25 2015, 12:53 PM) *

"I didn't list a price because this isn't a FOR SALE thread, it's a thread about my project. When I first got the car and everyone said it should be saved I made the offer of a trade for a six conversion, there were no takers. Now months later and several thousands of dollars spent people have again expressed outrage at the idea of me using my car in my project. I again said I wasn't attached to the car if someone wanted to buy it. So don't twist this around like I am "blowing smoke" or teasing people about selling the car. Unlike every other car in my collection that isn't for sale at any price, I would sell this one if someone wanted to save it. What I'm not going to do is give it away and be back on the open market trying to find a comparable six conversion, the prices you guys are asking are insane, some of the offers guys were sending me when I was looking were just crazy, $30,000 for an un-finished conversion, really?

Also, @GMS, if you don't believe there are Porsche race cars rotting away, you should go barn hunting with me sometime, like this one, I was buying up a whole field of 356's and poked my head in the tent."

Outrage? Really? Wow! What's with the drama. confused24.gif I only knew about this thread for 3-4 days. I'm not outraged. I just think it's idiotic to cut up a car with race history when you don't have to. It took me about 5 months to find an engine for my 6 conversion. Many of the other parts took longer. But with some patience, I got the parts I needed at a price both me and the seller could live with. You express disbelief that anyone would want this car because it sat for 6 months before you bought it. That is unbelievably quick in this world. First you say you wanted to be 'made whole' and then when it is proven you have offers that do that, now you want to make enough money to buy a 6 conversion at $30K 'because you've spent thousands'. Really? Looks like you bought it, had it shipped and took the bodywork off. Then you sold the differential. Now you've recouped about 1/3 of your investment and you're looking to get $30K? lol-2.gif Wow... Let us know when you find the unsuspecting sheep. sheeplove.gif

Sheep? I like the ladies, sorry, been married for 11 years. I don't want to sell it, and I don't want to sell it for $30,000, all I ever wanted was a running and driving six conversion. It isn't about the parts, I have about a dozen 911 motors, I even have two original 914-6 motors in my 10,000 square feet of Porsche stuff. The whole point is to have a running and driving car so I didn't have to re-invent the wheel. When I went to buy one, posting wanted ads here and elsewhere, the only cars that came my way were runners at $30,000 + or un-finished projects at $20,000-25,000. I found this car for what I thought was an affordable price. I didn't find it thinking I can flip it, or I was onto something. I posted it here for my project. People said I shouldn't use this car, so I said I would entertain suggestions on sales or trades. So don't twist it around Rob, I'm not looking for sheep to fleece, I was looking for a 914/6 conversion, I found one and am going to mount a 904 body on it if I can. And I made the offer months ago, before I had spent any money on the car, and while the 904 body was still being built, so I had time to play with.
Bottom line, everyone knew about this car, it has been on the market on and off since 2007, being passed around like a cheap hooker, and the last time no one wanted it, it was on ebay for 6 months and the guy had been trying to sell it for 2 years. I bought it, I own it. Anybody who was so enthralled with it could have bought it long before me and started a museum around it, a shrine even, but there were no takers.
Chris914n6
Adam, obviously this particular car is more valuable to us 914 fans than you expected. There are also many of us that would like to finally see a rebodied 914 that is actually pretty and appropriate. So let us help you make this a win-win. What exactly do you need in a donor car?

And while you are waiting for the community to provide a solution, fit the body to the sacrificial car to make sure it will actually work as visioned. Deal?

PS. Edit for your last post. A WTB ad is almost always going to get you the highest prices and is no reflection on what's actually market value if you're diligent and patient. The market for sixes has been going up for at least 5 years thanks to the demand for 911s, the major cost being the $10k engines and the rediculous prices Porsche 'experts' charge. But if you have engines then why not put one in the brown car? Conversion parts are only a few grand.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 25 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Adam, obviously this particular car is more valuable to us 914 fans than you expected. There are also many of us that would like to finally see a rebodied 914 that is actually pretty and appropriate. So let us help you make this a win-win. What exactly do you need in a donor car?

And while you are waiting for the community to provide a solution, fit the body to the sacrificial car to make sure it will actually work as visioned. Deal?

I would like a comparable car. A 914/6 conversion with known mechanicals and preferably with a larger six, mine has a 3.2 carbed with Webers, big brakes, etc.
eric9144
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 01:03 PM) *

The worst is when you find the stuff but the guy won't sell.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 25 2015, 04:55 PM) *

unsure.gif blink.gif huh.gif laugh.gif dry.gif

Ok. so this IS a 914 forum Maybe the 904 forum guys will think it's cool. Go find one and see that they think.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 25 2015, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 25 2015, 04:55 PM) *

unsure.gif blink.gif huh.gif laugh.gif dry.gif

Ok. so this IS a 914 forum Maybe the 904 forum guys will think it's cool. Go find one and see that they think.

Rick-
I think there are plenty of guys on THIS forum who are very excited about this project, more than half of the comments have been positive. If you don't like the project, I suggest you un-subscribe from the thread.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 02:47 PM) *

I would like a comparable car. A 914/6 conversion with known mechanicals and preferably with a larger six, mine has a 3.2 carbed with Webers, big brakes, etc.

Honestly, that didn't narrow it down at all. Stock body OK or do you need chassis stiffening? How rust free? Does year matter?
Big brakes being 24mm 911 Carrera, 930, Boxster, Hybrid?
Transmission- stock gears? fresh rebuild or low mile?
Electrical- wired for turn signals and brake or can you handle that?

I'm not saying you can custom order the whole thing, but I don't want a hundred hours of members time and effort to be put into this for you to decide it's not good enough (which seems to be your hangup).

What's wrong with the engines you already have. Can one of those be used for the 904?

We have build parties almost as often as we have sawzall parties, this can be done.
Garland
Ok
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 25 2015, 01:42 PM) *

PS. Edit for your last post. A WTB ad is almost always going to get you the highest prices and is no reflection on what's actually market value if you're diligent and patient. The market for sixes has been going up for at least 5 years thanks to the demand for 911s, the major cost being the $10k engines and the rediculous prices Porsche 'experts' charge. But if you have engines then why not put one in the brown car? Conversion parts are only a few grand.

Fair enough, the car is not at my shop right now, but when I get it back I will give a detailed description of the components so to give everyone a general idea.
Also, the WTB ads was just part of the stuff I saw and was offered, that was also checking all the for sale websites, and putting out feelers to all the people I know. The pricing I got was generally the same, no matter the medium. Between $20,000-25,000 for un-finished projects that were complete, around $10,000-15,000 for six conversions minus the guts, and $30,000+ for running and driving cars.
Why didn't I plug one of the motors I have into one? I looked into that option but even having friends do the engine re-build and other heavy lifting I was still looking at $20,000 before I was running, driving, and stopping on 5 lug wheels with big brakes. And that's if I provided the body and the engine. In this market nothing is cheap, including shop time. It's great when selling, but not so great when you're on the other end.
Which brings us back to why I bought the yellow car that no one wanted, it was $15,000 running, driving, and stopping, and as a bonus the body had already been peeled away, saving me the trouble. Also, no rust.
Spoke
10 pages to your build thread and you're still defending yourself.

You didn't happen to shoot a lion did you?

I wanna see this car come to life.
SirAndy
10 pages and i'm still not exactly sure what the hell is going on here ...
confused24.gif
dug
Adam: "If anyone wants to trade their six conversion for this car, I am all ears."
Adam: "The worst is when you find the stuff but the guy won't sell."
Adam: "I think you are contradicting yourself. You say I should do the work, it's only two hours, except you yourself were too busy and you were going to pay someone to do the work if you did the swap."

In the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

I've now been called mediocre and contradictory, and my work couldn't be trusted. I definitely AM argumentative and I disapprove of cutting up the Garretson's car. But I will defend my offer as not mediocre and argue that I have not contradicted myself in any way.

I would happily pay someone to do the work that most of us can do in not a lot of time, and I am not complaining that it will cost me a lot of money to have someone with recognizable credibility do it. That is why my offer is not mediocre and that doesn't contradict anything that I have said.
Larmo63
If I were Adam, I would not EVER post here again. Some people here sound like the biggest dicks. Talk about taking the fun out of a hobby? The poor guy has had to defend himself and HIS FREAKING BUILD at least fifteen times. He does own the car, and he can do with it whatever he wants.

Adam, are you a masochist?
gms
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2015, 07:44 PM) *

10 pages and i'm still not exactly sure what the hell is going on here ...
confused24.gif

It is kind of like when a developer is trying to knock down a historic building and there are protesters trying to stop the demolition
Strangely enough in this case there are a number of people calling for the demolition of the building.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.