Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6/904 project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 8 2015, 04:39 PM) *

Also, I sold a race car chassis to Lenny and I think Eric's chassis is still in the back at foley said place....so there are two caged tubs local.

I'm headed out tomorrow a long long way away, a 29 car deal, all 356's, I'll hit you up when I get back.
r_towle
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Also, I sold a race car chassis to Lenny and I think Eric's chassis is still in the back at foley said place....so there are two caged tubs local.

I'm headed out tomorrow a long long way away, a 29 car deal, all 356's, I'll hit you up when I get back.

Big trailer....
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 8 2015, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Big trailer....

This was two months ago, 21 cars, now it's party time!
Stacks914
only 29??? confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 8 2015, 06:56 PM) *

1 Truck done, two more to go, I'm getting too old for this...
MMW
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 09:19 PM) *

I thought Big John just pushed them on. Isn't he the one who does all the heavy lifting?
JmuRiz
Good lord, where do you find all these stashes?

Always wish my 356 was a cab and/of I had a 911 to make he collection complete. All I need is $ sad.gif

Do you mind if I OM you for parts needs?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(MMW @ Sep 11 2015, 05:29 PM) *

I thought Big John just pushed them on. Isn't he the one who does all the heavy lifting?

I would never attempt to lift a 911 motor, or carry a gearbox on my shoulder...
wingnut86
I can do a -4 still & did a gear box or 2 last weekend. And, I'm 54!

But a -6??

You have great liability coverage, don't ya;-)
euro911
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 06:19 PM) *
Nice score. Looks like a couple of notchbacks in the last load confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

What condition are they in?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 11 2015, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 06:19 PM) *
Nice score. Looks like a couple of notchbacks in the last load confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

What condition are they in?

No notches with this load, the one on the bottom middle is a C cab, and the one on the back is an A cab.
r_towle
If you ever come across a speedster KIT car project, please keep me in mind.
I specifically want a kit.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 12 2015, 10:03 AM) *

If you ever come across a speedster KIT car project, please keep me in mind.
I specifically want a kit.

Do you want just the body, or a complete kit?
r_towle
I can get the body from rusty tubs......interested in both....but not new, some non wide body forgotten project.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 12 2015, 03:18 PM) *

I can get the body from rusty tubs......interested in both....but not new, some non wide body forgotten project.

Big Nickles Rickles, ask me sometime how he got the nickname.
rgalla9146

Wow ! 24 rolls of toilet tissue at Shop Rite $5.99
I'm channeling Shop Rite
Unobtanium-inc
The trip only went downhill from there. A friend in PA called and wanted to quickly sell his 82 SC, so I had to squeeze it on the back of the already loaded trailer, it was so overloaded I had to go 50mph the whole way home, it was hard on the nerves.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 09:52 PM) *

IPB Image

The engine looks like it's empty, no crank, chains, etc., so although it's still heavy it wouldn't be near as heavy as it looks.
It looks like a dummy engine for fitting body, engine panels, and fabrication.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 14 2015, 06:20 AM) *

The trip only went downhill from there. A friend in PA called and wanted to quickly sell his 82 SC, so I had to squeeze it on the back of the already loaded trailer, it was so overloaded I had to go 50mph the whole way home, it was hard on the nerves.

That's what you call the tail waggin the dog! laugh.gif
JmuRiz
The front of the trailer must have been heavy! to load the SC on there not backwards.

Nice looking SC BTW...would be a nice 1/2 power companion to my brother's 930.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 14 2015, 04:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 09:52 PM) *

IPB Image

The engine looks like it's empty, no crank, chains, etc., so although it's still heavy it wouldn't be near as heavy as it looks.
It looks like a dummy engine for fitting body, engine panels, and fabrication.

Mark,
Good eye, it was a mock-up motor for fitting a six into a Beck 550.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 14 2015, 06:31 AM) *

The front of the trailer must have been heavy! to load the SC on there not backwards.

Nice looking SC BTW...would be a nice 1/2 power companion to my brother's 930.

We packed the front of the trailer very tight with parts, and since we had to drive the car on, it could only go on one way safely.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 14 2015, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 14 2015, 06:20 AM) *

That's what you call the tail waggin the dog! laugh.gif

Rick-
That's a great way to phrase what was happening, it made for some slow going, but we got home ok, just tired.
euro911
I bought a SMITHY years ago and they could only fork it into my trailer a few feet due to the ramp. Most of the weight was aft of the axle and I couldn't drive over 45mph on the freeway (50 miles home) due it wanting to fish-tail dry.gif
mepstein
next time backing the 911 in might help a little bit.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 14 2015, 02:01 PM) *

M-
Had I been using my car hauler trailer I would have done that, but I was using my cargo trailer and it is much narrower, so driving backward up the ramp would have been asking for trouble, I already had to shimmy out the window, since I couldn't open the door. Like I said, last minute, not planned, and a nightmare, but it's all home, though the yard is a little full.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 14 2015, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 14 2015, 02:01 PM) *

M-
Had I been using my car hauler trailer I would have done that, but I was using my cargo trailer and it is much narrower, so driving backward up the ramp would have been asking for trouble, I already had to shimmy out the window, since I couldn't open the door. Like I said, last minute, not planned, and a nightmare, but it's all home, though the yard is a little full.

One more.
Dave_Darling
Are the Karmann notchback coupes worth anything now? There was a good while when they were looked down upon, and valued less than their standard coupe siblings.

--DD
wingnut86
...well, it ain't the 914 graveyard in Atlanta, but it'll do beer.gif

Wahahahahaha!

first.gif
zambezi
The notchbacks still kind of are (looked down upon), but the rising tide has meant ALL 356's are worthy of saving.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 14 2015, 07:09 PM) *

Are the Karmann notchback coupes worth anything now? There was a good while when they were looked down upon, and valued less than their standard coupe siblings.

--DD

The notch has a strong cult following, but then so does the 76 912E. But I don't believe they will ever be worth more than the standard coupe. People love to revel in the limited production of them, but forget that they didn't sell a lot for the same reason they didn't sell a lot of new Coke, it's because no one liked it when it came out, and it isn't a universal taste now.
I sold over a dozen Notch's over the years, but at least half of them went to guys who wanted a backdoor cheap cabriolet. Only a few have sought out the Notch for it's peculiar roof line, most people still think the same as when they were new, it's awkward at best and ugly at worst. I like them, but wouldn't pay more than a regular coupe for one.
euro911
I like them, because I'll never be able to have one of these

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
I had a rare opportunity to study and photograph a very early 904 yesterday, 904-0014. A friend was very kind and let me crawl all around the car he has had for over 40 years. He was also a wealth of info on the cars since when he bought his car it was in a million pieces, so he knows every inch of it after 40 years of assembly.
It was cool and also once again surprising how small they really are!
Unobtanium-inc
I have has 0 time to work on the car for the last few weeks. Trying to get as many cars out the door before the snow hits I guess. I did score an important piece yesterday though, a rear clip from a SAAB Sonett. Why a Sonett clip? Because Porsche used SAAB tail lights for the 904. The guy made me take the whole clip. I was on my way to Delaware yesterday and grabbed this in Jersey.
Unobtanium-inc
A couple of guys have emailed me privately so ask about progress on the car. I've been stalled for the last 6-7 weeks trying to get as many cars on the market before the holidays hit. We put our last car of the year on ebay today so the project will continue in the coming weeks.
This picture was interesting, both were built in 1963, so different yet so the same.
904svo
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 18 2015, 06:31 PM) *

I had a rare opportunity to study and photograph a very early 904 yesterday, 904-0014. A friend was very kind and let me crawl all around the car he has had for over 40 years. He was also a wealth of info on the cars since when he bought his car it was in a million pieces, so he knows every inch of it after 40 years of assembly.

I remember when Tim got that car in pieces. I love it! that's why I bought a
904 kit car.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 17 2015, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 18 2015, 06:31 PM) *

I remember when Tim got that car in pieces. I love it! that's why I bought a
904 kit car.

And he paid $10,000 for it, best investment ever!!!!!!!!
veekry9
Click to view attachment

https://www.facebook.com/EmoryMotorsports?fref=photo
A perfect wheel for the 904/14-6
Mueller
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Dec 16 2015, 01:50 AM) *
Cool wheel...

No price, guessing if you have to ask how much I cannot afford them!
MJHanna
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 16 2015, 02:33 PM) *

Cool wheel...

Looks like the alum spare wheel from a 944 turbo
JmuRiz
Reminds me of the CLK wheel, Scotty knows about these and I used to have as set for the vintage Benz:
IPB Image
euro911
I have a set of those 1999 CLK wheels for the Vanagon biggrin.gif

They're 16x7" and the bolt pattern is 5x112mm.

Click to view attachment
veekry9
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 16 2015, 03:33 PM) *

Perfect wheel...

Four or more will be made,so yeah,tre expensive.Perfect tho,with nine holes.
I posted Toolguy's Ghia they did and liked it,so went back and found a lot of great -8 refs.
Man,they're havin a blast,what with the dyno runs.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...22522&st=20
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2522&st=120
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, this question goes out to you heavy mod guys. One of my first engineering problems is I need to lower or eliminate the front shock towers. Has anyone adapted a side mount suspension? Or lowered the shock towers with a shorter strut?
SirAndy
I think Britain did a front suspension without the shock towers on the yellow race car ...
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2015, 08:12 PM) *
I think Britain did a front suspension without the shock towers on the yellow race car ...
idea.gif

Front suspension stuff starts on page 16.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113579

smash.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

An upper control arm,pretty much necessary,the fender line so low.
mgp4591
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2015, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 17 2015, 08:12 PM) *
idea.gif

Front suspension stuff starts on page 16.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113579

smash.gif

Doesn't the Anklebiter have a transverse front suspension too?
Or you could go the Corvette C5 route with upper and lower control arms and a transverse leaf spring on the upper arm and standard shocks measured for travel...
veekry9
Click to view attachment

An emulation of the 914 chassis trimmed,sectioned,stiffened,caged.
A scale model of a tub in CF sandwich panels,verr light,stiff.
Outrigger ally monocoque torque boxes front and rear.
Tough to get it lighter than the genuine article.
Flogging the ideas around,open minded approach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.