Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6/904 project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 1 2015, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 07:32 PM) *

I'm not sure why I keep having to say the same things trying to justify my project on a car no one wanted. And still no one really wants it or they would have made a real offer for it.

So let's do this, let's focus on the ideas for the project, those were coming in nice. If you don't agree with the build, we have heard everyone's opinion on that.

Yes REALLY you keep saying no one has made you a real offer so........ how much will it take??? $30k, $40K, $50k.......$1 dollar confused24.gif

I don't want to sell it, I've said that from the beginning. I found the car, bought it, shipped it, paid $$$ to sort it, and now it's ready. When I first started the project I had several months to play with before the body was done so when there was an uproar on the forum about the car and the project I extended the offer if anyone wanted to trade their running driving six conversion for it, even with horrible cosmetics, I would entertain the offer. I got nothing, crickets, silence. Now months later I have received a couple of offers that have not come close to what I said I would trade for. So no I don't have a price to sell the car, I don't want to sell it. I am also out of time because the body is here and I want to start on the project, not have to go back to square one on the project. So once again, the car was offered to the 914 community months ago and no one wanted it, or didn't want it bad enough to give up their car. It's too bad that for the people who profess they would and should do everything to save this car, either don't have the money for it, or don't really care enough. I came out of the pocket to buy the car when no one else would, I came out of the pocket to get the car up to snuff, and now I'm the bad guy because I want to use the car for my project. This is America, if you want something, you buy it, I did, when no one else would. This car had been for sale off and on for 8 years, yes 8 years. So everyone had a shot to buy it, no one cared. But now that I have thousands invested everyone wants to crucify me. It's getting real tiresome. I put the thread on here because I thought I was doing something pretty cool, taking a car that had been put out to pasture and breathing new life into it, jumping through a lot of hurdles on the way, to build one of my dream cars, and all I've gotten out of a bunch of you is grief, so please, go talk trash somewhere else, or come by on Saturday and say it to my face. But there are no new arguements here, or offers, or anything, just pissed off guys who don't even put there names to their words, taking jabs at a guy sharing his passion for Porsches and his latest project. Move on, grow up, get a massage, something, but please stop saying the same things, again and again and again.

Adam Wright
Unobtanium-Inc

Then I don't understand. You say no one has made you a real offer, but then say you don't want to sell it. confused24.gif

You are right you stepped up and bought it good for you. If it upsets you so much that others feel that using a 914 (in my case any 914) for this will not turn out like you want, then sorry.

The problem with text is you don't hear the persons inflection in their voice. I'm not saying your wrong for wanting to do this, but I just don't see how you will save any time using a 914 chassis at all. Why spend months cutting up a chassis when you can build a nice solid tube frame to fit the 904 body exactly? Use the /6 running gear and other stuff to make a sweet car.

As for coming to your place and telling to your face I would, but I don't live near you. I would gladly talk to you on the phone about it. And for the record my name is on all my posts.

Garold Shaffer
rhodyguy
Headin' sideways. IBTL.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 1 2015, 05:17 PM) *

I'm not sure why I keep having to say the same things trying to justify my project on a car no one wanted. And still no one really wants it or they would have made a real offer for it.

So let's do this, let's focus on the ideas for the project, those were coming in nice. If you don't agree with the build, we have heard everyone's opinion on that.

Yes REALLY you keep saying no one has made you a real offer so........ how much will it take??? $30k, $40K, $50k.......$1 dollar confused24.gif

I don't want to sell it, I've said that from the beginning. I found the car, bought it, shipped it, paid $$$ to sort it, and now it's ready. When I first started the project I had several months to play with before the body was done so when there was an uproar on the forum about the car and the project I extended the offer if anyone wanted to trade their running driving six conversion for it, even with horrible cosmetics, I would entertain the offer. I got nothing, crickets, silence. Now months later I have received a couple of offers that have not come close to what I said I would trade for. So no I don't have a price to sell the car, I don't want to sell it. I am also out of time because the body is here and I want to start on the project, not have to go back to square one on the project. So once again, the car was offered to the 914 community months ago and no one wanted it, or didn't want it bad enough to give up their car. It's too bad that for the people who profess they would and should do everything to save this car, either don't have the money for it, or don't really care enough. I came out of the pocket to buy the car when no one else would, I came out of the pocket to get the car up to snuff, and now I'm the bad guy because I want to use the car for my project. This is America, if you want something, you buy it, I did, when no one else would. This car had been for sale off and on for 8 years, yes 8 years. So everyone had a shot to buy it, no one cared. But now that I have thousands invested everyone wants to crucify me. It's getting real tiresome. I put the thread on here because I thought I was doing something pretty cool, taking a car that had been put out to pasture and breathing new life into it, jumping through a lot of hurdles on the way, to build one of my dream cars, and all I've gotten out of a bunch of you is grief, so please, go talk trash somewhere else, or come by on Saturday and say it to my face. But there are no new arguements here, or offers, or anything, just pissed off guys who don't even put there names to their words, taking jabs at a guy sharing his passion for Porsches and his latest project. Move on, grow up, get a massage, something, but please stop saying the same things, again and again and again.

Adam Wright
Unobtanium-Inc

Then I don't understand. You say no one has made you a real offer, but then say you don't want to sell it. confused24.gif

You are right you stepped up and bought it good for you. If it upsets you so much that others feel that using a 914 (in my case any 914) for this will not turn out like you want, then sorry.

The problem with text is you don't hear the persons inflection in their voice. I'm not saying your wrong for wanting to do this, but I just don't see how you will save any time using a 914 chassis at all. Why spend months cutting up a chassis when you can build a nice solid tube frame to fit the 904 body exactly? Use the /6 running gear and other stuff to make a sweet car.

As for coming to your place and telling to your face I would, but I don't live near you. I would gladly talk to you on the phone about it. And for the record my name is on all my posts.

Garold Shaffer

How is that hard to understand, I don't want to sell it, but if someone really wanted it and had an interest in saving it I said I would entertain the offer. Never once have I tried to use the thread to sell the car. So how about this, no I don't want to sell it, trade it, anything, I want to get on with my project, if you want to follow the thread great, many do, if you don't agree with the build, tell it to the mountain.
Are you still confused Garold?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 1 2015, 05:17 PM) *

Adam Wright
Unobtanium-Inc

Garold Shaffer

How is that hard to understand, I don't want to sell it, but if someone really wanted it and had an interest in saving it I said I would entertain the offer. Never once have I tried to use the thread to sell the car. So how about this, no I don't want to sell it, trade it, anything, I want to get on with my project, if you want to follow the thread great, many do, if you don't agree with the build, tell it to the mountain.
Are you still confused Garold?

Nope
euro911
It doesn't appear that anybody is going to change Adam's mind, so it's probably just a waste of time even bothering with it.

This thread did, however, lead me to check out Chuck Beck's 904 site ... and oh, I would love to have one of his kits drooley.gif

The only issue I can see is that I would want a Subaru H6 drive train in it hide.gif ... (I already have enough valves to adjust as it is) shades.gif
Bruce Hinds
Dear Admin,

Can we rename this thread to the "whine or go drive event" or something of the sort and start a new thread for those that are actually interested in the build.

Perhaps we could lock out all those that have contributed more than their 2 cents worth so we can actually follow the progress and not have to sort through 16
+ pages of crap.

euro911
It's only 11 pages of crap, Bruce poke.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Sep 1 2015, 09:50 PM) *

Dear Admin,

Can we rename this thread to the "whine or go drive event" or something of the sort and start a new thread for those that are actually interested in the build.

Perhaps we could lock out all those that have contributed more than their 2 cents worth so we can actually follow the progress and not have to sort through 16
+ pages of crap.

Why is your opinion the only one that counts here? You can say what you want. I'm with those that are concerned for the historic value of the car that's about to be turned into a cheap kit car. Take a 15k car with historic value and history and turn it into a 5k plastic patch job. So some of us missed it. I'm sure if anyone had ever thought this is where the car's history would end it wouldn't be where it is.

First the cage won't fit so hack that off at the longs, then the width and length won't work so cut it up and weld it back together without the aid of a chassis jig. That's safe. Then cut out the suspension because that won't work. Where is all the "sorting" now. Wasted. screwy.gif

You think I don't know what I'm talking about just take another look at the last car Adam did. Engineering is not patching junk roller together, slathering it with filler, painting it with a roller, putting a cute name on it and calling it a car. This project is so far from proper engineering it's not even funny. If Dana were doing it may stand a chance of actually working. But then you would not need to start with a car of this caliber either.

Go ahead, hack it to pieces. When your done maybe someone with a real passion for 914's will be able to collect up the scrap pile and save what left like the 550... If you don't get what I'm saying go find a kit car sight where they build VW 40 Fords and Fiero F 40's. That will be cool.
wingnut86
...OR...

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 07:13 PM) *

Dear Admin,

+ pages of crap.

Why is your opinion the only one that counts here? You can say what you want. I'm with those that are concerned for the historic value of the car that's about to be turned into a cheap kit car. Take a 15k car with historic value and history and turn it into a 5k plastic patch job. So some of us missed it. I'm sure if anyone had ever thought this is where the car's history would end it wouldn't be where it is.

First the cage won't fit so hack that off at the longs, then the width and length won't work so cut it up and weld it back together without the aid of a chassis jig. That's safe. Then cut out the suspension because that won't work. Where is all the "sorting" now. Wasted. screwy.gif

You think I don't know what I'm talking about just take another look at the last car Adam did. Engineering is not patching junk roller together, slathering it with filler, painting it with a roller, putting a cute name on it and calling it a car. This project is so far from proper engineering it's not even funny. If Dana were doing it may stand a chance of actually working. But then you would not need to start with a car of this caliber either.

Go ahead, hack it to pieces. When your done maybe someone with a real passion for 914's will be able to collect up the scrap pile and save what left like the 550... If you don't get what I'm saying go find a kit car sight where they build VW 40 Fords and Fiero F 40's. That will be cool.

Rick, you just don't get it....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Dear Admin,

+ pages of crap.

Ya, get what? I've seen your work, You've seen mine. Who has the most street cred?

You are not capable of doing anything with that car other than turn it into a pile of scrap. Specially when you say you don't have 30k to spend on it. How do you plan on making a proper chassis out of a car that you have to cut into quarters without spending serious cash on a proper chassis?

Prove me wrong. Hope you do. If you do at least the car would end up in your scrap yard never to be seen again.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Dear Admin,

+ pages of crap.

Ya, get what? I've seen your work, You've seen mine. Who has the most street cred?

You are not capable of doing anything with that car other than turn it into a pile of scrap. Specially when you say you don't have 30k to spend on it. How do you plan on making a proper chassis out of a car that you have to cut into quarters without spending serious cash on a proper chassis?

Prove me wrong. Hope you do. If you do at least the car would end up in your scrap yard never to be seen again.

Rick-
I've never seen your work, nor do I care to. And how do you have any idea what I'm capable of. It's obvious your capable of being a jerk, but that's really all I know about you or your "cred". How does me sharing my project give you the right to try to dissect me? People wonder why it's the same 5 guys on these forums and why no one else ever shares or chimes in, it's because those 5 guys bury anything they don't understand or agree with under a pile of negative sarcasm. If you don't like the project, STOP READING THE THREAD!!!!!!!
rick 918-S
Didn't call you any names. Just pointed out the obvious. Maybe you should look up some of my work. Then maybe you would realize I'm not being a jerk and I actually know what I'm talking about. No need to name call Just stick to the facts.
Mike Bellis
Sad where this thread has gone...

Someone needs to talk about Republican priests giving hand jobs to Democratic transvestites while reciting the Koran so this can get locked down... dry.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 07:44 PM) *

Didn't call you any names. Just pointed out the obvious. Maybe you should look up some of my work. Then maybe you would realize I'm not being a jerk and I actually know what I'm talking about. No need to name call Just stick to the facts.

No, you didn't call me any names, just ripped apart a car I spent 5 years working on, so yes, that makes you a jerk, and I don't care what you've done, I really don't.
I'm working on a car, if it doesn't work out that's my business, but I heard all the same things when I started work on the last car, and yet, that car got finished and sold.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 11:44 PM) *

Rick's work...

Euro 928 powered 914. Probably one of the most engineered cars on this forum. Probably also, the most reliable since it's been driven to almost every corner of the US. I vouch for Rick's street creds.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 1 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Rick's work...

Euro 928 powered 914. Probably one of the most engineered cars on this forum. Probably also, the most reliable since it's been driven to almost every corner of the US. I vouch for Rick's street creds.

Yeah, I don't care, I didn't start this thread as a pissing contest with any one else or their builds. I don't know Rick and he damn sure doesn't know me, but proceeds to shred a car I built and belittle one I am building. So I don't care if he can put a flux capacaitor into a Deloran, he's still a jerk, how is that for a fact.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 1 2015, 10:53 PM) *

No, you didn't call me any names, just ripped apart a car I spent 5 years working on, so yes, that makes you a jerk, and I don't care what you've done, I really don't.
I'm working on a car, if it doesn't work out that's my business, but I heard all the same things when I started work on the last car, and yet, that car got finished and sold.

The work speaks for itself. One of the rules here is no name calling. No personal attacks. Ya, 5 years... av-943.gif to patch up a patch quilt of scraps. Guess we don't have to ever worry about you getting to cut this one up if it took that long with that end result. Feel sorry for the guy that bought it. Who was it that said there's one born every minute?

Do you know how many guys post here and show their projects? Every kind an level of skills. I can't say I have ever seen a car posted here that wasn't built with passion for the 914. Yours doesn't seem to be heading that way. You have no idea what we have done as a community for 914 people. Show some respect. Your not the great and powerful OZ here. Your just another car guy like the rest of us.

Like I said, Prove me wrong. If it turns out to be of a caliber that Porsche would have built himself as you claim that's your goal, I'm man enough to say I was wrong. Beyond that the history of a well know IMSA race car ends with you. You will be forever immortalized for that in books and magazines for years to come.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 2 2015, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 1 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Rick's work...

Yeah, I don't care, I didn't start this thread as a pissing contest with any one else or their builds. I don't know Rick and he damn sure doesn't know me, but proceeds to shred a car I built and belittle one I am building. So I don't care if he can put a flux capacaitor into a Deloran, he's still a jerk, how is that for a fact.

And with that you crossed a line. Just like kindergarten, we don't allow name calling. That will get you banned. bye1.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2015, 08:26 PM) *

The work speaks for itself. One of the rules here is no name calling. No personal attacks. Ya, 5 years... av-943.gif to patch up a patch quilt of scraps. Guess we don't have to ever worry about you getting to cut this one up if it took that long with that end result. Feel sorry for the guy that bought it. Who was it that said there's one born every minute?

Do you know how many guys post here and show their projects? Every kind an level of skills. I can't say I have ever seen a car posted here that wasn't built with passion for the 914. Yours doesn't seem to be heading that way. You have no idea what we have done as a community for 914 people. Show some respect. Your not the great and powerful OZ here. Your just another car guy like the rest of us.

Like I said, Prove me wrong. If it turns out to be of a caliber that Porsche would have built himself as you claim that's your goal, I'm man enough to say I was wrong. Beyond that the history of a well know IMSA race car ends with you. You will be forever immortalized for that in books and magazines for years to come.

See again you come off like a jerk, you know why it too my 5 years to build that car, because I was working a 4 day week so I could take care of my two young kids. And I don't have to prove anything to you, now or ever. My reputation in the Porsche community speaks for itself.
Oh, and the guy who bought the last car loves it, he is already asked me about selling the 904/914 when I'm done with it.

Once again I say, you just don't get it, and every time you open your mouth you prove that.
Cracker
Adam - Sorry this has gone this way but you have also fueled "their" fire.

Back on Page 5 (I think) I offered this, "Don't even pay a moments notice to the naysayers. I'd just start ignoring the ridiculous posts telling you what to do, what not to do and why. Enjoy whatever you do: the process, the designing, the details and the driving."

Others have offered the same advice but you have consistently tried to convince or rationalize your position - it is a losing battle, lost cause, never-gonna-win, etc., etc.

I've seen this before on this forum...a few just don't know when to quit and do get very personal in their positions (attacking judgement, skills, touting "their skills", whatever it takes to annoy and distract. This thread WAS about your excitement to build this car...maybe it was a poll but I don't believe so!

Consider listening to some counsel (and learn to ignore) or stop logging in here - save yourself brother! They'd eventually go away if they didn't get the gratification of your responses.

A forum of enthusiasts should (and usually does) operate under the idea that everyone should show respect - not beating ones chest about their abilities (over another) - true or not. Its highly immature behavior and sticking up for a poster like that is equally childish. Share their differences of opinion, sure, but then shut up...it gets old hearing the same antagonistic arguments. I'd expect a moderator would've stepped in along time ago to keep this thread on his topic - not theirs (unless of course they simply sympathize with the "voices of dissent" and choose when to "moderate" and not).

beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2015, 12:26 AM) *

Actually, I noticed the editor of one of the best Porsche magazines reading this thread earlier today. A guy writing about IMSA history has posted in this thread. I think if you finish this car Adam, you will be forever known as the guy who used a historic IMSA race car to build a kit car. There's no way to get a stank like that off... You, or the car.
As for Rick's skills? Among the finest. No doubt. And if I asked him tomorrow to fly or drive across the country to help me finish my car, he'd try to make it happen. That is what he's made of. Lots of people here would.
You might want to look up the meaning of forum. It means *everyone* gets to express there opinion.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 2 2015, 12:35 AM) *

Adam - Sorry this has gone this way but you have also fueled "their" fire.

Back on Page 5 (I think) I offered this, "Don't even pay a moments notice to the naysayers. I'd just start ignoring the ridiculous posts telling you what to do, what not to do and why. Enjoy whatever you do: the process, the designing, the details and the driving."

Others have offered the same advice but you have consistently tried to convince or rationalize your position - it is a losing battle, lost cause, never-gonna-win, etc., etc.

I've seen this before on this forum...a few die-hards just don't know when to quit. Then they attack you, your judgement, your skills, whatever. Then ask for it to be shut down - and they're the ones causing the ruckus (with your support, unfortunately).

Adam - Start listening to wise counsel (and learn to ignore) or stop logging in - save yourself brother! They'd go away eventually and if they didn't I'd expect a moderator to step in (that should have happened along time ago though - unless they sympathize with the "voices"). beerchug.gif

Actually, the moderators agree that he shouldn't touch that car. So yes, they sympathize.
bandjoey
Look...President Husabaa just met his girlfriend behind the republican party stage and they got naked. Not only that but Reverend Putukie just admitted to being on the email list of Ashley Madison! And, Donald Trump is about to come out on abortion. happy11.gif
Pictures at 10.

Is that enough???

Now...will the admin lock this one down. and let Adam start a new unmolested thread.

We do want to see the build, and keep the politics out of it. If you'all Just spend 3 days reading his blogs on cars he's saved, and it's a no brainer...he's into saving cars. Just not always the way we we want.

Common guys..... barf.gif
Stacks914
The stank? Hahahahaha!!! Dude stop just stop!

No one cared about the car until now. I think only Adam did! So he bought it and when he couldn't sell it. He did what he wanted with it..........

Progress pics please!!!!
RoadGlue
It's time for everyone to take a breather.

Locking this down for the night.
Unobtanium-inc
The 914 will be on display at the open house on Saturday Sept. 5th, if anyone wants to come check it out. Free food and probably a couple hundred Porsches will be about.
rhodyguy
You sure have some interesting stuff.
Unobtanium-inc
You should see the wall art!
AndyB
I believe it's your car so quit listening and arguing with others. Show us pictures and keep us updated.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(AndyB @ Sep 3 2015, 06:08 PM) *

I believe it's your car so quit listening and arguing with others. Show us pictures and keep us updated.

That's the plan moving forward. I'm going to politely ask that anyone who doesn't like what I'm doing to follow the rules we all learned in 1st grade.

1. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
2. If you don't like what I'm building then please get out of my sandbox.

I think I took the bait too many times with people attacking my build, I'm henceforth going to ignore them but hopefully they will follow the rules above and those of us who like my idea will follow and add suggestions. I don't have much experience with 914's since we deal mostly with 356's, so I'm hoping the group can tell me the little details when I need the info.

And thanks for the many who have supported the build, I really appreciate it.
914Timo
Chris914n6
If you want to see the IMSA car kept original, and can provide parts, labor or transportation towards a replacement chassis, PM me.

Otherwise it's time to let Adam have his build thread back. beerchug.gif

Unobtanium-inc
I want to take the talk of my car away from the IMSA thread.
To answer the last question about what I knew about the car.

The car was advertised as a former race car, but the only history the guy shared was that "it won some races" and he had a picture of the dash which showed it was a winner at Mid-Ohio and the SCCA Ozark Region, but even in my phone conversations he did not have any real info on the car, other then who he got it from. The car fit the bill as far as what I needed for my project, so I bought it. Once I bought it I contacted Jeff at Automotive Archelogy and he was able to give me the complete race history from when they ran it, but no mention of IMSA or Garretson. Only once I posted the car here did I have that information.

I hope this helps everyone understand a little better how this went down.
Here is the dash picture.
euro911
It's your car, Adam, so I wouldn't even suggest what you should or shouldn't do with it.

But being an old man, not necessarily a wise old man, I will share this though ... I bought an old 911 back in the late 70's - picked it up for a song too (even by the monetary standards of that time). I had plans to update several things on it and basically hot-rod it, but career and family life got in the way.

As years went by, I started learning more about the car, and evidently, so did the Porsche community. I'm glad those years got in the way and I didn't go through with my original plans, as the car turned out to be one of the first 232 911s to come out of the factory's doors. For many years, it was just considered an old car with a declining monetary value confused24.gif
horizontally-opposed
Cool project idea. There aren't many people who don't like the way 904s look, and there aren't many people who don't like the way 914s drive.

As for the drama, it's easy to see both sides:

Side 1
The car was bought based on available information, and bought well. It appeared to be a good and financially attractive basis as a six-cylinder 914—without the premium for a nice body or interior. Perfect for the project, in other words.

Side 2
The car is a piece of 914 history. It inspired models—models people have kept, models that offered for sale at collectible gatherings. The chassis has a LOT of its original pieces (cage, mirror, etc.). The original body still exists, and looks repairable.

It is unfortunate to see insults, personal attacks, and angry expletives on this forum. One can only assume we're seeing them because folks are passionate about this car, and because the targets feel attacked/belittled. However, it is difficult to see why the owner should allow his dream to be delayed or derailed to satisfy others. While that might be a reasonable wish, it is not a reasonable expectation.

Is a win-win possible? In exchange for the IMSA chassis, could a 914world member or members ship a GOOD, solid 914 chassis ready to accept the OP's power train (six mount, etc) and ready to be modified to accept the 904 body? Would the OP accept that, if it can be delivered during the time he is working out how to modify a 914 chassis to work under that 904 body using the "practice" car no one cares about? The OP keeps his powertrain and other desired mechanicals he got for a song (and understandably wants to keep) and gets a good body to plug them into and modify. The IMSA chassis could then be saved, repainted red, and reunited with its old body.

I've seen this board do more than that for members in the past, and this would be a chance for everyone to come out happy.

Jussayin...
ConeDodger
I have been in PM contact with Adam and I have to say, I see his side. He bought a car that he thought no one wanted for $15K. Then after posting here, he discovers it is a former IMSA racer with wins. He'd like to have a good substitute for his chassis but lots of people are expecting him to just give it up for what he has in it. He should be able to get a suitable replacement if he is going to give up on the accidental IMSA racer purchase.
So what needs to happen to make everyone happy and Adam whole is there needs to be a buyer for the IMSA car at a fair market price and, Adam needs a good conversion chassis at a fair market price. I don't know Adam's finances so let's assume he can't buy the second while holding the first. Therefore, these two events need to happen pretty much simultaneously.
I believe Adam would go for this. But I also believe that he sees it as somewhat hopeless because no one wanted the IMSA car in all the years it was for sale.
What to do? Anyone know anyone interested in vintage racing with a real IMSA racer? Guys like Canepa and Adam Carolla do this a lot. Buy, restore, race. (Carolla is out, he is only interested in Datsuns for now)
oldschool
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 24 2015, 03:04 PM) *

And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.

Bring forth said car, for I owneth thy cutter of plasma-eth

Ha Ha you just lost....
rick 918-S
I have received several pm's about this car. The consensus has been the car somehow slipped past us a community. I as others weren't shopping for this car or any car for that matter. Many of us have several now. Should this have been noticed by 914 guys that have a historic knowledge of IMSA it would not be facing it's current fate.

That said no deal can even be struck until Adam states the terms. We have achieved bigger things here than saving a car.

I am now just repeating the same stuff that has been posted here already. I believe Adam WAS offered another chassis wasn't he? Wasn't it a race car chassis? What does it take from there? Do we need to throw some money at it?
A mechanic that can remove and swap the engine and transaxle?
What is this "sorting" that needs to be addressed?
Do we fly out a group of guys to swap out the parts? We've done that before.

All questions that have been asked for half this thread. I've said my peace. Let me know if you guy's work something out. I don't mind helping out if I am able. Ball is in Adam's court.
Unobtanium-inc
Terms have been sent to first interested party. If he declines I will offer same terms to the group. I would love to see this chassis saved.

Based on the historical value of the car and the interest in it, I believe my terms are more than fair.
rhodyguy
There you go. Win-win for everybody. Time for the guys with the dough to step up. Or shut up.
ConeDodger
There is a negotiation going on in the background guys. Be patient. evilgrin.gif
stownsen914
Well done, gentlemen. Hopefully something can be worked out so all are satisfied ...
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 8 2015, 05:51 AM) *

I would love to see this chassis saved.

cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
beerchug.gif
popcorn[1].gif
shades.gif
wndsnd
Excellent news!
gms
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 8 2015, 07:51 AM) *

Terms have been sent to first interested party. If he declines I will offer same terms to the group. I would love to see this chassis saved.

Based on the historical value of the car and the interest in it, I believe my terms are more than fair.

Adam I commend you for your open minded approach to this!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 8 2015, 04:23 PM) *

Ditto!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 8 2015, 03:23 PM) *

I am hoping this chassis can go on to greater glory, it was just an old worn out race car when I bought it and there are plenty of those.
r_towle
Bring your trailer dude, the barn is full of stuff.
Call you know who about the rare stuff.

There is a 914 chassis in the back, and more air cooled
Rich
r_towle
Also, I sold a race car chassis to Lenny and I think Eric's chassis is still in the back at foley said place....so there are two caged tubs local.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.