Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6/904 project begins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
mb911
My question is why not just keep it simple and use sharp 90s.. Way easier and if its hidden under glass does the same thing.

Example is this GT oil cockpit cover. Very simple and effective. Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2018, 12:58 PM) *

My question is why not just keep it simple and use sharp 90s.. Way easier and if its hidden under glass does the same thing.

Example is this GT oil cockpit cover. Very simple and effective. Click to view attachment

You mean use 90 degree right angles instead of shaping the metal in a curve? If that's what you're asking, I'm trying to squeeze maximum space in the wheel well. it's going to be very tight since I lowered the tower and changed the pickup on the strut.
If that's not what you're asking let me know.

mb911
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 7 2018, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2018, 12:58 PM) *

Example is this GT oil cockpit cover. Very simple and effective.

You mean use 90 degree right angles instead of shaping the metal in a curve? If that's what you're asking, I'm trying to squeeze maximum space in the wheel well. it's going to be very tight since I lowered the tower and changed the pickup on the strut.
If that's not what you're asking let me know.

Yes thats what I meant.
Unobtanium-inc
I got some work done today, finished up the driver's side fender, and was able to move onto the passenger side. I was on the road yesterday and it ended up being a 16 hour day, so I wasn't at 100% today, hopefully I'll get some good time in tomorrow, stay tuned and happy holidays!
rhodyguy
Have you ever tried a palm nailer for shaping?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 21 2018, 02:05 PM) *

Have you ever tried a palm nailer for shaping?

No, what is it?
914forme
It is used for nailing framing in tight spaces. It is a small hammer in the palm of your hand driven by air. You make a head for the end of it, lots of people use a carriage bolt. This person went all out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pictures lifited out of this post credit where credit is due.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 22 2018, 10:25 AM) *

It is used for nailing framing in tight spaces. It is a small hammer in the palm of your hand driven by air. You make a head for the end of it, lots of people use a carriage bolt. This person went all out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pictures lifited out of this post credit where credit is due.

So it's like a small power hammer when you convert it for metal shaping?
bbrock
You can also use a rivet gun with the same type of head. Look up "flow forming rivet gun" on Youtube for some good videos.
rhodyguy
Actually for use in tight quarters when framing with a nail gun or hammer won't work. The little Tico nails that usually result in pain. You stick a nail in the biz end and simply push. The nail drives in with no smashed fingers. You substitute a carriage bolt or other as shown in that link. Watching John Kelly, who used to sell shrinking discs also, move metal around with one was amazing. He would back up the area to be worked with a leather bag filled with sand.
Unobtanium-inc
So I got up before the sun today to get some time in on the car. The passenger side fender was not going my way. I shrank, and shrank, twisted, bent, wheeled, hammered, and it was changing shape, but not getting me where I wanted. I was about to scrap the piece and start over, but I walked away for a few minutes. I looked at it a different way, worked it and it just laid there, like it was made to go there, which it was.
Made it home in time for lunch, chicken wings with Max, since I ate his chicken wings last night, I made it up to him today.

Happy Holidays everybody!
Unobtanium-inc
More pics.
Unobtanium-inc
I went in early this morning. Big John plans to work the whole week so I had to get him started on a few projects. I did the back part of the passenger fender. I got it shaped and welded in but it's still a little rough. I could only squeeze out a half day, my wife said something about it being a holiday and people were coming over.

Happy Holidays!
Unobtanium-inc
More pics.
Unobtanium-inc
Today was kind of a strange day, lots of panels made, but no welding. Why no welding? Big John was putting floors in a 356B and we have one welder. It's one thing to say you're going to work on your own car and not make any money that day, it's quite another to hog the welder and not have your employee make any money either, so he got the welder and I got the hammer today. Tomorrow I'm by myself so lots of frying bacon!
Happy New Year!
Unobtanium-inc
More pics.
Unobtanium-inc
Ok, with all the panels I did yesterday it was nothing but frying bacon today. Of course, welding upside down in a wheel well with drips is no fun, but no pants on fire. I've done that, it sucks!
I have one more inner panel to do tomorrow on the passenger side inner wheel well, then my mechanic Rick is coming over on Sunday to help put all the suspension back on. If I can finish up the back shock towers on Friday I can move the car next week and do the center cut, which is terrifying, cutting 5 inches out of the middle of the car.

Happy New Year!
restore2seater
I'm trying to get an understanding of what you're using the metal tubing for. Are you going to be using it for some type of reinforcement?

Is what you have been piecing together for the inner fender top going to be used as reinforcement?

Having a hard time seeing where you're going with your fabrication. I guess I don't understand why you cut so much of the factory inner fender out to begin with.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Dec 27 2018, 01:34 PM) *

I'm trying to get an understanding of what you're using the metal tubing for. Are you going to be using it for some type of reinforcement?

Is what you have been piecing together for the inner fender top going to be used as reinforcement?

Having a hard time seeing where you're going with your fabrication. I guess I don't understand why you cut so much of the factory inner fender out to begin with.

The metal tubing is left over from the complete roll cage that went through the whole car. I left it thinking I could tie back into it for reinforcement, if needed.

I had to cut the tops off the original inner fender when I dropped the shocks about 3 inches. The stock front on the 914 was far too high to find under the 904 bodywork. I would have liked to have kept more of the inner fender, it would have saved me a lot of fabrication, but I cut it as close as I could.
bretth
Very cool. Need to learn this metal shaping voodoo magic someday myself.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 27 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Very cool. Need to learn this metal shaping voodoo magic someday myself.

You should take Wray's class, it's life changing.

www.proshaper.com

He does it every month.
sixnotfour
no comparison... sorry.. love your effort ..butt
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 27 2018, 10:47 PM) *

no comparison... sorry.. love your effort ..butt

Not sure what you're saying here, could you be more specific?

restore2seater
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 27 2018, 04:59 PM) *

The metal tubing is left over from the complete roll cage that went through the whole car. I left it thinking I could tie back into it for reinforcement, if needed.

I had to cut the tops off the original inner fender when I dropped the shocks about 3 inches. The stock front on the 914 was far too high to find under the 904 bodywork. I would have liked to have kept more of the inner fender, it would have saved me a lot of fabrication, but I cut it as close as I could.

OK, I went back in the thread about a year to see where this started. I had forgotten you had cut the center section between the frunk and fuel tank area. Your current pictures are close ups of the top ridge of that section and I didn't realize that part had been lowered.

So in Wray's class you used wire forms. Why not use them now for shaping the fender well?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Dec 28 2018, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 27 2018, 04:59 PM) *

OK, I went back in the thread about a year to see where this started. I had forgotten you had cut the center section between the frunk and fuel tank area. Your current pictures are close ups of the top ridge of that section and I didn't realize that part had been lowered.

So in Wray's class you used wire forms. Why not use them now for shaping the fender well?

I would have is this area was cosmetic, but it's going to get covered up with fiberglass. I went with a heavier metal, harder to shape, but strength over beauty. Because I went with thicker steel I was able to turn the welder up and get some really good welds, ugly welds, but really good penetration.

Happy New Year!
Unobtanium-inc
Reached a good spot today, the fenders are 98% done. My mechanic Rick is coming over to the shop on Sunday to help me set up the front suspension. I even put the new tires on the wheels, very exciting. Hopefully next week the car will be on it's own feet for the first time in a couple of years, then it will be sliced in half like the lady in an old magician routine.

Happy New Year!
Unobtanium-inc
A few more shots. I even played around with the headlight covers, fun times are beginning.
Unobtanium-inc
Found an old pic of the car when it was put out to pasture the first time around.
Larmo63
This is a hard thread to follow and not comment on negatively.

I'm not a mean person so I won't comment.

I think I just commented. screwy.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 28 2018, 08:06 PM) *

Oh, by all means, grow a pair and comment, it will serve you way better than side of your mouth comments. But more importantly, if you don't like what you're seeing or reading, don't follow, don't comment, or in your case half comment. Lots of people on this board are enjoying this build, I'm enjoying this build, you obviously aren't, so please go away.
sixnotfour
the pics of yours are when it got restored to the yellow version,,, hardly out to pasture

you are making history,, another chapter,,you cant change the past
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 28 2018, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 28 2018, 08:06 PM) *

Oh, by all means, grow a pair and comment, it will serve you way better than side of your mouth comments. But more importantly, if you don't like what you're seeing or reading, don't follow, don't comment, or in your case half comment. Lots of people on this board are enjoying this build, I'm enjoying this build, you obviously aren't, so please go away.

yeah, what Adam said . . . there are lots others enjoying what he's doing here as well, so bug off!
Larmo63
This car will end up here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...335192&st=0
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 29 2018, 11:01 AM) *

I never understand this kind of mentality. It's one thing to find a long lost picture of a car and say, "wow, someone had a dream." but it's quite another to post on someone's build thread that their car is a POS. Why would you do that? Does it make you feel cool to bash someone's car? Are you one of those guy's who goes on forum's to talk tough and rip people's cars apart and then hide behind a fake name and picture?
WTF is wrong with you?
Forum's like this are here to encourage other people and share idea's, bring knowledge, see where someone else can take an idea. Only weak people go on forum's to smash other people's ideas, make snide comments. So Larmo63 who wants to look like Clint, don't be a weak person. If you don't like my build, don't click on it. I've put hundreds of hours of work and thousands of dollar's into this build and I didn't do it so little weak fake name forum troll's could tear it apart because they don't see my vision.
Guy's like this love to pick my build apart because I'm in unchartered territory. So I shouldn't try something just because I've never done it before, how is that any way to live. I bet the same people told Porsche this in the early 50's when they went and built a race car, the 550. Guess what they made some big mistakes, remember the 550 that went off the bowl at Avus and burst into flames because their experiment with the suspension went wrong? Well guess what, those same engineer's that the likes of Ferrari laughed at won at the Targa Florio a few years later. But had they listened to the shit talkers they never would have tried anything outside their comfort zone.
So how about all you guy's like Larmo63 just stop looking, stop posting, stop the negativity, it just makes you look weak and small minded. I'm going to keep building my dream car, because that's what I'm doing, building a dream, why can't a few trolls just stay in their holes, I don't know, but I really wish they would. Because guess what, if I build something wrong, I'll fix it, and try again, that's what men do, they go outside their comfort zone and build something even when people say they can't, or shouldn't, if you can't respect that, please just go away.
73-914
Well said Adam
Mike Bellis
Just build it already! What's done is done. It's your car. Just work faster so we can see more pics...
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 29 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Just build it already! What's done is done. It's your car. Just work faster so we can see more pics...

I'm on it Mike, going into the shop at 7AM tomorrow, really!
Jonathan Livesay
Is it me, or is this becoming an east coast/west coast thing? Let the guy make his car. If you like it post, if you think he did something wrong, post about that. If you think the whole thing is an abomination make a thread about torturing ex-racecars, or something.
WTF!
sixnotfour
let him have at it,, all the shit he post is fuel to the fire ..it ain't no 550 ..no 356 whatever ..its his wet dream .diluted with other p-car pics....its not a 914 anymore

Sandbox
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Dec 29 2018, 07:37 PM) *

Is it me, or is this becoming an east coast/west coast thing?

Not literally. Mike is a west coast guy, as well as Larmo...

Metaphorically? Could be.

--DD
euro911
Regardless which coast anyone resides on, the negative BS isn't the way gentlemen should act.

Same thing goes for the Harley community ... if you don't like what someone has done with their bike, you just don't say anything cool_shades.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 29 2018, 10:18 PM) *

--DD

Let's drag up a NorCal / SoCal thing...

Really, I don't care what Adam builds. I wish the original 914 race car could have been saved but that's water under the bridge. I just want to see the finished product. It's still going to be a cool ride with tons of man hours into creating it. I love seeing fab work and the creativity of the members.

All the haters need to chill. It's his car, let him build it his way.
sb914

owned.gif av-943.gif
sb914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Dec 30 2018, 05:59 AM) *

Larmo got owned.gif av-943.gif

Krieger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 29 2018, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 29 2018, 10:18 PM) *

--DD

Really, I don't care what Adam builds. I wish the original 914 race car could have been saved but that's water under the bridge. I just want to see the finished product. It's still going to be a cool ride with tons of man hours into creating it. I love seeing fab work and the creativity of the members.

All the haters need to chill. It's his car, let him build it his way.

agree.gif A few of you guys need to move on with your life!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 29 2018, 11:57 PM) *

You ain't NorCal, you are MidCal ...
poke.gif
Unobtanium-inc
So the day started out rough, un-scheduled snow storm, no plows, no tire tracks, just me and the 4WD. Made it in ok, it actually got a little better when I crossed the river.
Rick was a big help, we got one strut together and the other one we hit a snag, but progress was made. Also got to play around with fitting the body, that's always fun. I might have to get rid of the big brakes that are on the car, if I want to run normal wheels they won't clear over the huge racing calipers, but they will stay for right now.
Oh, and it wouldn't be a day of wrenching, unless I busted a knuckle...

Happy New Year-
Adam
tomeric914
Hey Adam, was the 904 body kit intended for use with the 914 chassis or something else? Sorry in advance if you have already stated this in an earlier thread.
73-914
the Auto gods always demand blood
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 30 2018, 02:43 PM) *

Hey Adam, was the 904 body kit intended for use with the 914 chassis or something else? Sorry in advance if you have already stated this in an earlier thread.

No, that was my idea, the guy who makes them just copied an original body, but no plans for a frame. I think he made a tube frame for his. I was talking to Chuck Beck about using a 914, and he said you can't, the shock towers are too high. I told him I was lowering the shock towers, he mumbled something about me being crazy.
There is a place in the UK that I think has the original frame jigs and will make you a frame, but it is probably pretty pricey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.